HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread 11: Gettin' Higgy With It

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
I'm on a bus on LI going to a lax game and they have a sonic!! I thought these were only in the south. I glad dawg.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'm on a bus on LI going to a lax game and they have a sonic!! I thought these were only in the south. I glad dawg.
Yea just opened up in my town, people are pretty exited to say the least but don't plan on going there or a while, the line was up to 4 hours long at one point yesterday and there's sure to be another one forming now.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I dunno, i've always been big into degrading myself in front of a group of people in order to feel accepted.

Just screams self-esteem, doesn't it?

Oh the irony.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I can't stand when people make assumptions about fraternities based on what they heard from "their friend who was in a fraternity" or what they've seen in movies or TV shows.

The truth is, you don't know anything about fraternities if you have not been a part of one. They offer a whole lot more than what the stereotypes say.

My fraternity volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club every week, more than half of us won awards for outstanding GPA's, and we had a large presence in the student government.

And yeah, on the weekends we partied a lot and we may have had a rough pledge process, but we knew the difference between being serious and having fun.

I know that some fraternities are d-bags, but don't lump all fraternities into one category just because of a few bad ones.
I agree with you but it is a losing battle.

In the almost 20 years since I was in a fraternity the idea that we are all closet homo-erotic, date rapers with ruffies falling out of our pockets has just been cemented more and more in popular culture. Fraternities are an easy target, just like any decent sized group of 18 - 20 something year old young men.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Once my cousin Johnny died during a pledging process, I was pretty sure to avoid the places. Frcing pledges to swim across a river whilst drunk, or spend an entire night outside in -40 degree weather is something that, in my mind, should be a punishable offense. Yet the ******** got away with it with only a 2 year suspension of their house.

Certainly they aren't all terrible, Beta Theta Pi, ect. are relatively respectful organizations but the idea of trying to make powerful friends was not for me, especially not at the cost of myself respect.

Some of the oldest standing fraternities in the United States are complete disasters. Look up Yale this year and see what you find.

04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Once my cousin Johnny died during a pledging process, I was pretty sure to avoid the places. Frcing pledges to swim across a river whilst drunk, or spend an entire night outside in -40 degree weather is something that, in my mind, should be a punishable offense. Yet the ******** got away with it with only a 2 year suspension of their house.

Certainly they aren't all terrible, Beta Theta Pi, ect. are relatively respectful organizations but the idea of trying to make powerful friends was not for me, especially not at the cost of myself respect.

Some of the oldest standing fraternities in the United States are complete disasters. Look up Yale this year and see what you find.
Are you serious? That easily could have been 2nd degree manslaughter or something similar. Disgusting.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

People in positions of power often are former fraternity members. So they do anything and everything in their power to protect them. Including blaming the victim.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I can't stand when people make assumptions about fraternities based on what they heard from "their friend who was in a fraternity" or what they've seen in movies or TV shows.

The truth is, you don't know anything about fraternities if you have not been a part of one. They offer a whole lot more than what the stereotypes say.

My fraternity volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club every week, more than half of us won awards for outstanding GPA's, and we had a large presence in the student government.

And yeah, on the weekends we partied a lot and we may have had a rough pledge process, but we knew the difference between being serious and having fun.

I know that some fraternities are d-bags, but don't lump all fraternities into one category just because of a few bad ones.
That's fine, and I'm sure there are good people who join them for whatever reasons they think justify going through all the stupid **** like hazing, yearly fees and drinking until you puke every weekend. However, stereotypes exist because they are generally accurate, and for whatever reason people love to fill them instead of breaking them, proving that it's not always the same everywhere you go.

No, I have not been a member of a fraternity, but I am friends with people who were, and I have been to several fraternities, on several different campuses. I have met more fraternity brothers than I care to remember. The majority of them are exactly like the stereotypes portray them, at least from the initial impressions I received from most of them, and the few I got to know better didn't really prove it was just the hype of being in a fraternity environment.

My only close friend who was a member of one ended up dropping out of school 2 years in. He can tell me degrading story, after degrading story about parties, hazing, petty theft, drug and alcohol abuse, but never once did he talk about something fascinating he learned in class, or how they did something positive within the community. While the stories are funny, I admit, you can't help but think the whole time, "I'm just glad I'm not that guy!" Not, "Holy **** I want to join a frat!"

Sorry, maybe I am biased, but I have yet to hear (your story aside) or see anything positive about these fraternities that warrant looking at them from any other perspective than the one they harbor through poor reputation, and pop culture.

Sorry if I offended you, though. Glad there are people who don't just join them for the *****es and beer.

04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
People in positions of power often are former fraternity members. So they do anything and everything in their power to protect them. Including blaming the victim.
Absolutely, and not the fraternities just anyone can join either.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Rest assured, the one my buddy joined...there's no future powerbrokers there. It was the frat for people who didn't fit into frats.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, the different undergrad colleges are all different though apparently and i'm not sure which is which, and I want to dorm in the co-ed one . I figured it's not a big difference depending on which one you picked, I just need to figure out which one has the best people.

And yeah i've gone to a couple of the free Stony Brook concerts, good stuff. What did you major in, btw? Part of the thing that kept me hesitant about SB was that I figured my major choices would be sort of second tier.
It's pretty much all co-ed, unless you request for it not to be. Granted, there's like a male wing and a female wing of each quad, but it's basically the same thing. There's enough people around that it's hard to say which would be the best or that one attracts "cooler" people than the others. Worst case, if you hate your roommate or something, you get to switch in a few months.

I was a history/secondary education major for two years, then I switched to journalism, with a couple different minors. Don't be worried that if you're not like pre-med or something to with science that you're getting the shaft, there's some pretty good teachers in just about every department. There's a bunch to avoid too, but that's what rate my professor is for

Old
04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
That's fine, and I'm sure there are good people who join them for whatever reasons they think justify going through all the stupid **** like hazing, yearly fees and drinking until you puke every weekend. However, stereotypes exist because they are generally accurate, and for whatever reason people love to fill them instead of breaking them, proving that it's not always the same everywhere you go.

No, I have not been a member of a fraternity, but I am friends with people who were, and I have been to several fraternities, on several different campuses. I have met more fraternity brothers than I care to remember. The majority of them are exactly like the stereotypes portray them, at least from the initial impressions I received from most of them, and the few I got to know better didn't really prove it was just the hype of being in a fraternity environment.

My only close friend who was a member of one ended up dropping out of school 2 years in. He can tell me degrading story, after degrading story about parties, hazing, petty theft, drug and alcohol abuse, but never once did he talk about something fascinating he learned in class, or how they did something positive within the community. While the stories are funny, I admit, you can't help but think the whole time, "I'm just glad I'm not that guy!" Not, "Holy **** I want to join a frat!"

Sorry, maybe I am biased, but I have yet to hear (your story aside) or see anything positive about these fraternities that warrant looking at them from any other perspective than the one they harbor through poor reputation, and pop culture.

Sorry if I offended you, though. Glad there are people who don't just join them for the *****es and beer.
While I don't agree with your generalization about frats, the only time I will join in on making fun is during the weekends when their dads come visit. I remember going out to eat and some frat kids were with their dads, and they had this cocky demeanor like their son was better.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

God, it is GORGEOUS out, today! I just took a walk down by Stone Street, and let's just say I saw some females that I wouldn't mind spending some time with

Old
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Just got my classes set

Summer= Principles of Economics

Fall= Business Calc, Macroeconomics, American History 2 (needed humanities), and Women, environment, and gender (needed life science, and this is the only online course, and it seems to be easy)

Old
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

my summer class is in summer C

Old
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Just got my classes set

Summer= Principles of Economics

Fall= Business Calc, Macroeconomics, American History 2 (needed humanities), and Women, environment, and gender (needed life science, and this is the only online course, and it seems to be easy)
Principles of Econ; any idea what the reading is?

Depends on who is teaching, but if it is Menger material let me know if you need help with it. Principles can mean anything from Keyensian to Austrian.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Yea just opened up in my town, people are pretty exited to say the least but don't plan on going there or a while, the line was up to 4 hours long at one point yesterday and there's sure to be another one forming now.
Ohhh my, just passed the line and it was absurd, easily over 2 hours. I love Sonic and all but not that much

Old
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
NaturalIce

Hey new guy here, been lurking since the 09 draft, and finally figured i would start posting, figured this would be a good place for my introduction. Anything you'd like to know about me i'd be happy to answer, and i look forward to disagreeing with all of you many times!

Old
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I attempted to go yesterday, wasn't happening. No way in hell was I waiting on a line for 4 hours just to get fast food.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
EmpireStateofMind

Of course we have the nicest weather of break on the last day. This is what I get for leaving all my homework until the last day of break

Old
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Principles of Econ; any idea what the reading is?

Depends on who is teaching, but if it is Menger material let me know if you need help with it. Principles can mean anything from Keyensian to Austrian.
thanks man, I will let you know

Old
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

That Sonic is open until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays, think I might try it this weekend and try to avoid the lines.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
I'm currently sitting in Philosophy looking outside and seeing how gorgeous it is outside. This blows.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
Hey new guy here, been lurking since the 09 draft, and finally figured i would start posting, figured this would be a good place for my introduction. Anything you'd like to know about me i'd be happy to answer, and i look forward to disagreeing with all of you many times!
welcome to the madness

Old
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averys SEC 405 View Post
I'm currently sitting in Philosophy looking outside and seeing how gorgeous it is outside. This blows.
took my math test this morning, and my final is next tuesday. What kind of teacher gives a test less then a week before the final?

Closed Thread