HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Fisher mistake?

Old
04-24-2011, 09:00 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
This trade was well worth it, even before we won the series.

3rd rounder turns into a 2nd rounder now I believe. Enjoy Ottawa!
The 3rd turns into a 2nd if you guys win the next round

Anyways, best of luck to Fisher and Nashville.

EDIT: I see you figured it out.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
On Versus, Keith Jones said something along the lines of, "David Poile knew exactly what he was getting when he traded for Mike Fisher, he got him for the playoffs," to which JR responded, "I disagree, I think he got more than he even hoped with Fisher."

Can't really argue with that, right now.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually I'm wrong...

Guaranteed 2011 1st
and
Conditional pick:
-2012 3rd round pick if we win round 1 (which we did)
or
-2012 2nd round pick if we win round 2 or more
I thought it was a third if we made the playoffs and a second if we won a round.

either way, love it that we lost it!

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I thought it was a third if we made the playoffs and a second if we won a round.

either way, love it that we lost it!
No, it was for our 2011 1st round pick and a conditional 3rd. Conditions were that they got a third if we won a playoff series and a that 3rd would turn into a 2nd if we won two or more series...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:59 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
On Versus, Keith Jones said something along the lines of, "David Poile knew exactly what he was getting when he traded for Mike Fisher, he got him for the playoffs," to which JR responded, "I disagree, I think he got more than he even hoped with Fisher."

We were arguing it when this thread began, hahah. He went what seemed a long time gripping the stick tight and missing scoring chances. Contributed in other ways though. Finally found the net as well.

I don't know about how great a deal it is for the long term, but it certainly seems ok. Especially for how he came in and helped us rthis season when we needed someone.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:07 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
We were arguing it when this thread began, hahah. He went what seemed a long time gripping the stick tight and missing scoring chances. Contributed in other ways though. Finally found the net as well.

I don't know about how great a deal it is for the long term, but it certainly seems ok. Especially for how he came in and helped us rthis season when we needed someone.
I would honestly say the deal was worth it even if he craps out and doesnt do squat the next two years(which IMHO is highly unlikely).

I think we dont win this series without him, and thats worth both draft picks right there...

Old
04-25-2011, 12:27 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post

way to cya and not actually give an opinion.

must be nice to sit behind a keyboard and never commit to anything....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
way to cya and not actually give an opinion.

must be nice to sit behind a keyboard and never commit to anything....
I like the deal long term. I indicated so earlier in the thread. I liked it when we made it and stayed consistent. I thought "seems ok" was clear I meant fairly decent long term. I usually give my opinions, not sure why you claim I don't. My only reason for not sure of how "great" it is long term is we don't know how great it is long term. To me "great" is too high a bar for anybody to pretend to claim it. If you want to include this year, fine, it seems pretty sweet, but long term I mean how good will he be for us the next two years. Now quit trolling my posts.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 04-25-2011 at 12:56 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Fisher scored 28 points in 74 playoff games prior to this series. Not to discount his impact off the scoresheet...

I agree with JR, his current pace scoring over a point-per-game would is more than we could have hoped for. I'll take it...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:21 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

so i'm guessing that y'all are in love with fish by now as we were here in ottawa.

yeah, he's not the most consistent offensive player, but fisher can win games for you without making a single pass or taking a single shot. He doesnt have to be on the scoresheet in any way to impact the game.

Hopefully you guys are starting to understand why most sens fans were saying that fisher is the prototypical nashville predators player, and that has nothing to do with whoever mrs. fisher may be or how she's regarded in your city. Fish may have been traded to you guys because of his personal life, but he also happened to be traded to the team that is by far the best fit in the league for him on the ice.

04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
wadesworld

If Lombardi can come back next year and play at his pre-injury level (well, pre-Predators level I guess since he only played a couple games) then those will be two solid centers anchoring lines. Combined with our young talent, the Preds should continue to be a formidable opponent.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I think this thread should be renamed "Lombardi mistake"

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I think this thread should be renamed "Lombardi mistake"
Wait for next season first.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

labeling Lombardi as a mistake is a bit too far, in my opinion. no one could predict he would miss 80.6 of our regular season games, and all the playoffs, before the season started.

I don't fault Poile one bit for the signing of Lombardi, I thought we signed the best FA center last season, and just got unlucky.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
labeling Lombardi as a mistake is a bit too far, in my opinion. no one could predict he would miss 80.6 of our regular season games, and all the playoffs, before the season started.

I don't fault Poile one bit for the signing of Lombardi, I thought we signed the best FA center last season, and just got unlucky.
and we knew he had a concussion history prior to signing him

Old
04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
that's true, but there is no way to predict future injuries.

i could get a concussion tomorrow and be out for a whole year, even with no concussion history.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Lots of players get signed every year who have some sort of concussion history. It's not like he suffered one a few days before we signed him. He was symptom free for a long time. This is simply bad luck. No one can be blamed here.

If we only go after players who have had no previous health issues in their life we would come up empty every year.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Lots of players get signed every year who have some sort of concussion history. It's not like he suffered one a few days before we signed him. He was symptom free for a long time. This is simply bad luck. No one can be blamed here.

If we only go after players who have had no previous health issues in their life we would come up empty every year.
instead we go after players that have previous injury histories & can't get that $ off the cap to go after someone else to replace said mistake

Old
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
glenngineer

So do we not sign Weber long term because he suffered a concussion against Moen in a fight a few years ago?

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So do we not sign Weber long term because he suffered a concussion against Moen in a fight a few years ago?
no, has he had a recurring concussion problem ? ... nope

Old
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Can Weber get insurance? I assume so.

The insurance companies did not want to insure Lombardi, not wanting to take the risk with him after their 'concussion probability' calculation.

It's a risk that hasn't work out, at least yet. Hopefully he comes back 100 percent next year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
so i'm guessing that y'all are in love with fish by now as we were here in ottawa.
I loved him from the moment we got him. Always was one of my favorite Senators.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Can Weber get insurance? I assume so.

The insurance companies did not want to insure Lombardi, not wanting to take the risk with him after their 'concussion probability' calculation.

It's a risk that hasn't work out, at least yet. Hopefully he comes back 100 percent next year.
Dulzhok has pointed out the key here, IMO. It isn't that we took a risk on a player. It is that we took a risk on an uninsurable player. We can't afford to eat 3.5 million dollars a year. Add Dumont's waste of a roster space over the course of the regular season and we were eating 8 million dollars for no production. Essentially, we were eating enough money to ice any superstar in the league. We have to be better than that.

With that said, I was very excited about the Lombardi signing. The length/terms were fair. His game would have fit our team like a glove. Our offense would be extra explosive with his speed and tenacity injected into it. Lets hope he comes back next year.

04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Predator119

This is the way I look at the 1st rounder this year and the 3rd(for now) next year for Fisher. The deeper we make it, the lower the 1st becomes. IF we end up at the end, we essentially trade 2 2nd rounders for Mike fisher with 2 years left on his deal. That is a fantastic trade. As of now, that 1st round pick is at least 22nd or later. And don't forget the 3rd or 2nd round pick also gets later the deeper we go. Awesome!!!

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
no, has he had a recurring concussion problem ? ... nope
did Lombardi have more than one concussion?