HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

News and Notes from Breakup Day

Old
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What price ranges are we looking at with Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer, Boyle, and Anisimov?

Dubinsky: 4 mil
Callahan: 3.5 mil
Boyle: 2 mil
Anisimov: 2 mil
Sauer: 1.5 mil

???
I think both Dubi and Cally will get similar contracts. Dubi had more points, but Cally had more points per game played. I think we'll see both of them at just under 4 per year on 4 or 5 year deals, similar to what Staal got.

Boyle won't get 2 mil. He's coming off making 525k. He had 21 goals, but only 35 points, and was much less productive over the 2nd half. I could see him getting a 2 year deal @ 1 mil per year, maybe 1.25 mil per year at most.

Artie will get a deal similar to what Dubi got last time. Artie is not arbitration eligible. Dubi was coming off 40 and 41 points seasons. Artie is coming off 28 and 44 point seasons. So probably in the neighborhood of 1.85 per year for 2 years.

Sauer is a bit trickier. Given that he only has 1 year of NHL experience and he was only making 500k this year, I'm not sure if he'll get 1.5 mil, even though he is arbitration eligible. But he did end up playing a top 4 role. I would say he gets a 2 year deal with 1.5 per year being the max.

Of course, if any of them actually go to arbitration, that will change things quite a bit. Hopefully we can get them all signed before then.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
How am I contradicting myself?

If we have guys in our system who can reasonably replace either Anisimov of Boyle, and have more upside potential, why would we not consider trading them if the return was decent?

If we could use either one of them to somehow move up in the draft or obtain a high-upside prospect that maybe needs a change of scenery as part of package for them, it would be foolish not to do so.

What we lack in this organization is high-end talent. It only makes sense to trade away some of our depth for it.
You don't start ripping apart heart and soul guys that constantly work hard day in and day out that make up the core of this roster, you add to them.

Although not a UFA move expendable players, acquire UFAs, or take advantage of a team in fiscal trouble as the Rangers did when they acquired Mark Messier and you can add the fire power you need.

Dallas is going through a bankruptcy right now and it's superstar is hitting UFA status...time to strike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Boyle won't get 2 mil. He's coming off making 525k. He had 21 goals, but only 35 points, and was much less productive over the 2nd half. I could see him getting a 2 year deal @ 1 mil per year, maybe 1.25 mil per year at most.

Sauer is a bit trickier. Given that he only has 1 year of NHL experience and he was only making 500k this year, I'm not sure if he'll get 1.5 mil, even though he is arbitration eligible. But he did end up playing a top 4 role. I would say he gets a 2 year deal with 1.5 per year being the max.
Banged up the 2nd half and he still plays a ton of the important minutes. Hockey isn't about the offensive game. If you're paying Sauer 1.5m for 1 years worth of solid defensive play then you're sure as hell going to pay Boyle more than 1.25m, especially at his age. 1.25 is Gilroy money and that's insulting to Boyle. Try at least double that 2.5 - 2.75 for the guy who the coach uses to start every game and plays in the last minutes of every game, 6'7", 250lbs, 20 goal scorer, center.....definitely worth a lot more than 1.25m.

Last edited by vipernsx: 04-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
What price ranges are we looking at with Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer, Boyle, and Anisimov?

Dubinsky: 4 mil
Callahan: 3.5 mil
Boyle: 2 mil
Anisimov: 2 mil
Sauer: 1.5 mil

???
duby will probably make less than callahan.

Callahan 4 Mil
Duby 3.5 Mil
Boyle 1.5 Mil
Anisimov 2 Mil
Sauer 1.5-2 Mil

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Pizza

I find this quote by Torts to be the most important to come out of break up day so far:

"I can say it now, for the New York Rangers to lose Ryan Callahan (for the playoffs), it was a huge blow. But it also gave other guys opportunity to make up for that, and it was just disappointing to me---and worrisome---how some guys responded---or didn't---to (Callahan being out)."

So who's a Tort's guy as of this post season?

IMO, Torts has formed his opinions on some guys which will help drive some decisions that have to be made. Who gets signed, who gets delt, bought out, etc.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I find this quote by Torts to be the most important to come out of break up day so far:

"I can say it now, for the New York Rangers to lose Ryan Callahan (for the playoffs), it was a huge blow. But it also gave other guys opportunity to make up for that, and it was just disappointing to me---and worrisome---how some guys responded---or didn't---to (Callahan being out)."

IMO, Torts has formed his opinions on some guys which will help drive some decisions that have to be made. Who gets signed, who gets delt, bought out, etc.
Agreed, huge quote....check the playing time and the performers in the playoffs. TOI/g is going to be a big tell tail on who the coach trusted and who he didn't, rookies being some exceptions.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Drury and Wolski are the ones that come to my mind that my be out. Wolski seems to be the easiest to trade or buyout. I'd figure it'll be a hard decision to buyout your captain, but it can be done.

Fedotenko was pretty damn good. He stepped his game up big time. I noticed him every shift. I count on him to be back for sure.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Agreed, huge quote....check the playing time and the performers in the playoffs. TOI/g is going to be a big tell tail on who the coach trusted and who he didn't, rookies being some exceptions.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce
Even more interesting to me are the amount of shifts taken.

Wolski, Drury, Zuccarello, Avery, Christensen he had little to no faith in. Prospal as well on a lesser scale.

I don't expect these guys to return.

Fedotenko i fully expect to return, he was very good in the playoffs.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If we get Dubi and Cally under 4 mil that's a bargain IMO. Considering how heavily Torts leans on them.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Banged up the 2nd half and he still plays a ton of the important minutes. Hockey isn't about the offensive game. If you're paying Sauer 1.5m for 1 years worth of solid defensive play then you're sure as hell going to pay Boyle more than 1.25m, especially at his age. 1.25 is Gilroy money and that's insulting to Boyle. Try at least double that 2.5 - 2.75 for the guy who the coach uses to start every game and plays in the last minutes of every game, 6'7", 250lbs, 20 goal scorer, center.....definitely worth a lot more than 1.25m.
Hockey isn't ONLY about the offensive game, but that still matters quite a bit. I said 1.5 would be the max that Sauer gets. I'm not sure he'll get that much.

Boyle had 6 points in 71 games last year. 6. He's also 26 years old. He had a breakout year, finally, but his numbers still weren't that great. And it's insulting that he should make more than twice what he made this year?

Christensen put up 26 points in 49 games with the Rangers last year. He was the same age that Boyle is now, 26. That earned him a 2 year deal @ 925k per year. Prust put up 9 points in 26 games, also at the age of 26, and earned a 2 year deal @ 800k per.

Torts is already on record as saying that he thought Boyle would be in Hartford this year, and that Boyle surprised him by making the team. So Boyle's only a year removed from potentially being a complete washout in the NHL. One season where he scored 21 goals and 35 points isn't enough for any GM to give him 2.5 -2.75 mil per year. You're crazy if you think so.

Like I said, he will get a 2 year deal between 1 and 1.25 mil. Count on it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
kovazub94

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

I specifically cited draft picks and prospects. Moving up in the draft helps us get more talented players. I would rather have the chance at getting high-end talent than endless depth. Other teams would rather trade away picks and prospects for a known quantity that fills a hole in their lineup right now. Both teams would benefit. It's not that hard to understand.
High draft picks are not the ultimate goal of any organization - building a team is. So when you suggest trading two young and cheap centers - who's going to replace them? You can't put a draft pick in a line up - you need a player. Our center position is currently build as follows:

1. ------ (potentially BR)
2. Anisimov / Stepan
3. Stepan / Anisimov
4. Boyle

Who's replacing Anisimov and Boyle if they are traded per your suggestion?

2. Stepan (sophmore next season)
3. ------
4. ------

There are no other centers in the organization. Even with BR, what happens if a center gets hurt who's going to be a replacement? And if you say we are going to get it in a trade please give us a NAME of a young, offensiviely skilled, solid sized, good defensively and cheap (ALL of these are important). Unless you getting a player like Stamkos, Toews, Getzlaf etc you don't include player like Anisimov in your package.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Feds should be back. Prospal I wouldn't mind see him back. Eminger might be gone but Chistensen can quit for all I care. He is useless

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Hockey isn't ONLY about the offensive game, but that still matters quite a bit. I said 1.5 would be the max that Sauer gets. I'm not sure he'll get that much.

Boyle had 6 points in 71 games last year. 6. He's also 26 years old. He had a breakout year, finally, but his numbers still weren't that great. And it's insulting that he should make more than twice what he made this year?

Christensen put up 26 points in 49 games with the Rangers last year. He was the same age that Boyle is now, 26. That earned him a 2 year deal @ 925k per year. Prust put up 9 points in 26 games, also at the age of 26, and earned a 2 year deal @ 800k per.

Torts is already on record as saying that he thought Boyle would be in Hartford this year, and that Boyle surprised him by making the team. So Boyle's only a year removed from potentially being a complete washout in the NHL. One season where he scored 21 goals and 35 points isn't enough for any GM to give him 2.5 -2.75 mil per year. You're crazy if you think so.

Like I said, he will get a 2 year deal between 1 and 1.25 mil. Count on it.
I disagree on Boyle. Is he arbitration eligible? I think his play this year earned him an extra year and if he can go to arbitration - him 20+ goals this season is going to make him at least close to $1.75m (1.5 - 2 m) player.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Pizza

Quote:
If we get Dubi and Cally under 4 mil that's a bargain IMO. Considering how heavily Torts leans on them.
Signing these guys B4 July 1st should be the main priority for this organization.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Signing these guys B4 July 1st should be the main priority for this organization.
Absolutely agree.

Its necessary to know how much cap space they'll have and who they need to move and find ways to move them, in order to be able to sign Richards.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Will zuccarello be back with the Rangers next season ?

Or is he likely done?

I ask cause you guys got knowledge..

I think he'll be back better than before..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

when can the RFA's be resigned? can they hypothetically speaking be resigned by tomorrow? is there a waiting period until they can start negotiating?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Will zuccarello be back with the Rangers next season ?
Well, Zuke is signed through the 11-12 season, so I guess so.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
High draft picks are not the ultimate goal of any organization - building a team is. So when you suggest trading two young and cheap centers - who's going to replace them? You can't put a draft pick in a line up - you need a player. Our center position is currently build as follows:

2. Anisimov / Stepan
3. Stepan / Anisimov
4. Boyle

Who's replacing Anisimov and Boyle if they are traded per your suggestion?

2. Stepan (sophmore next season)
3. ------
4. ------

There are no other centers in the organization. Even with BR, what happens if a center gets hurt who's going to be a replacement? And if you say we are going to get it in a trade please give us a NAME of a young, offensiviely skilled, solid sized, good defensively and cheap (ALL of these are important). Unless you getting a player like Stamkos, Toews, Getzlaf etc you don't include player like Anisimov in your package.
First of all, I was saying we should explore trading ONE, not both.

And really? We have no other centers in the organization? What are you smoking?

Drury, center. Prospal, center. Christiensen, center. Dubinsky, center (although not his preferred position). Grachev (prospect), center. Newbury (CT), center. Werek (prospect), center. Bourque (prospect), center. All of these guys coupld potentially be on the roster at some point next season. Not that I would want some of them to be, but they could.

How about you review the facts next time before criticizing, ok?

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:

Drury, center. Prospal, center. Christiensen, center. Dubinsky, center (although not his preferred position). Grachev (prospect), center. Newbury (CT), center. Werek (prospect), center. Bourque (prospect), center. All of these guys coupld potentially be on the roster at some point next season. Not that I would want some of them to be, but they could.

1. Drury - Have you NOT paid attention this year? The guy is done, and will more than likely be bought out.

2. Prospal - We're not sure we're bringing him back yet

3. Christensen - lol

4. Dubinsky - Left winger now. Thats his position, thats where he's more productive.

5. Grachev/Were/Bourque - Have done NOTHING in the NHL yet, and we're not even sure what their positions will be in the NHL. Grachev and Bourque will probably wind up on the wing.

6. Newbury - lol

How about before criticizing, you look at that list and ask yourself "are these guys really better than Anisimov and Boyle?"

Actually, looking over that list proves to me how much center depth this organization lacks.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I can't see Callahan or Dubinsky getting more than Staal and he comes in just under $4M. $3.8M each?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:

Way to ignore the rest of his post. He didn't say there were no centers. He listed a bunch of centers then said there are no more.

Drury probably won't be back, and the same goes for Prospal. If Prospal is back back, he's going to be on the wing, and carried as a spare forward. Dubinsky is not a center anymore, that was Tortorella grasping at straws against the Caps. Cristensen, yeah he's an inconsistent center, great.

What exactly are you thinking will be coming back for Anisimov anyways?

As for the rookies listed, they are prospects, and nothing more.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post

Crosby or Malkin?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Zil

Quote:

That list is not impressive. Drury is likely gone if they bring in Richards. Ditto for Prospal. Both are nearing the end anyway. Christensen should be gone. He does nothing. Dubi should not be playing center at this point his game is best suited to the wing. Grachev hasn't proven anything yet and is most likely a winger. Same goes for Werek. And who knows if Bourque will even be able to handle AHL level physicality, let alone the rough stuff in the NHL. If that's what you call center depth, then what does Pittsburgh have?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Way to ignore the rest of his post. He didn't say there were no centers. He listed a bunch of centers then said there are no more.

Drury probably won't be back, and the same goes for Prospal. If Prospal is back back, he's going to be on the wing, and carried as a spare forward. Dubinsky is not a center anymore, that was Tortorella grasping at straws against the Caps. Cristensen, yeah he's an inconsistent center, great.

As for the rookies listed, they are prospects, and nothing more.
Way to ignore the rest of his post as well. He listed our 3 centers as Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle. He made the proclamation that we had no other centers in the organization, which is ridiculous.

And if you actually bothered to read MY post, you would have noticed that I said some of the guys I listed I wouldn't want as center, but they're all centers none the less.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That list is not impressive. Drury is likely gone if they bring in Richards. Ditto for Prospal. Both are nearing the end anyway. Christensen should be gone. He does nothing. Dubi should not be playing center at this point his game is best suited to the wing. Grachev hasn't proven anything yet and is most likely a winger. Same goes for Werek. And who knows if Bourque will even be able to handle AHL level physicality, let alone the rough stuff in the NHL. If that's what you call center depth, then what does Pittsburgh have?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said we had amazing center depth, I was simply countering the false statement that we had no other centers in our entire organization.

One of those guys could fill the 3rd or 4th line center role just fine, if we chose to trade ONE of Boyle or Anisimov. Heck, even Newbury didn't look out of place on the 4th line. If we could land a decent package of picks/prospects for Boyle and give ourselves a chance at some of the high-end talent that we need in the draft, I say pull the trigger. Newbury could fill his position on the 4th line, and we would benefit by selling Boyle while his value is high.