HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.
thats why i think Lewis or Schenn should be slotted between Simmonds and Clifford. They can both provide better defence and better offence aswell as play a similar style

Quick will once again be the #1 next year who plays 60 games. When looking at the playoffs this year, every starting keeper let in a number of weak goals, Quick let in 1 (Couture first game), he showed he can get it done in the playoffs. Bernier will have to steal the starters job by outplaying Quick, which is exciting because if he does do that, it means he is the goalie we all hoped he would be

Old
04-26-2011, 10:08 AM
reset
Puck Luck

for all this talk about simmonds... if we move him, who the hell will be doing the grinding and the dirty work in the corners? penner? lol

clifford, simmer and richie...we need to keep this line intact

Old
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by reset View Post
for all this talk about simmonds... if we move him, who the hell will be doing the grinding and the dirty work in the corners? penner? lol

clifford, simmer and richie...we need to keep this line intact
Someone else already posted the reason... Do you think richie will match up well against chicagos first line? Or any other big centers? I loved the effort they all put in the playoffs, but the kings still need more skill. Simmonds would be one of the few assets that we could package to get someone.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:49 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post

That is soooo disturbingly funny.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
thats why i think Lewis or Schenn should be slotted between Simmonds and Clifford. They can both provide better defence and better offence aswell as play a similar style

Quick will once again be the #1 next year who plays 60 games. When looking at the playoffs this year, every starting keeper let in a number of weak goals, Quick let in 1 (Couture first game), he showed he can get it done in the playoffs. Bernier will have to steal the starters job by outplaying Quick, which is exciting because if he does do that, it means he is the goalie we all hoped he would be
I pretty much agree. Richardson pretty much got lost on his coverage in the Kings' zone on several occasions during the series including the OT series winner. He really doesn't have the size to play down low as a center in the Kings' system in his own zone.

Love his effort and speed though and I think he has a place on the team as an energy winger.

Agree also with your assessment of the goaltending situation. If Bernier wants the #1 job, he is going to have to outplay Quick for it. Quick isn't going to surrender it with poor play.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
1. Get Rid of Smyth
2. Replace him with Kitsyn
3. ?????
4. Score ze goals.
This is freakin' hilarious. I almost spilled my 7up. Thanks for this.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:25 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm guessing things look something like this next year:

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.250m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($4.475m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $60,183,809;
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,016,191
The potential depth of 15-20 goal scorers, to go along with 4 guys who will pot 25+ is pretty impressive.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Fat Elvis

Now, aren't Lewis, Richardson, Simmonds, DD, Parse and AMart RFAs? Would not shock me to see Parse and Richardson sign with another team.

It's really good to see Lewis have a great series. Many people have been dogging that pick since 06'. He's becoming exactly what they said he could. Glad to see his hard work begining to pay off. Congrats to him.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Now, aren't Lewis, Richardson, Simmonds, DD, Parse and AMart RFAs? Would not shock me to see Parse and Richardson sign with another team.

It's really good to see Lewis have a great series. Many people have been dogging that pick since 06'. He's becoming exactly what they said he could. Glad to see his hard work begining to pay off. Congrats to him.
Parse is no big loss to be honest, letting him go allows one of the kids to step in.

Richardson, I see him resigning again, another 1-2 year deal.

I see Lewis, Richardson, Simmonds, DD, Martinez all resigning.

I hope Simmonds gets moved for a solid wing.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
IMO, having a successful off season depends on two key elements.

1) With our current salary structure, the need to resign 4 to 6 key RFAs and the cap (even if it goes up a little) we do not have the space to add a difference maker. hence, Ryan Smyth has to go. The guy is a warrior, but the speed of the current game has left him behind. His production slowed significantly as the season wore on, and he is not getting any younger. We cannot afford to have so much cap space tied down by him. Fortunately, his actual salary is much lower than his cap hit, so moving him is not out of the question. Edmonton would seem to be a logical place given his leadership qualities and history with the organization. If he does not accept a trade, he may need to be bought out.

2) The Kings need a significant difference maker at wing. Our goal tending and defense is good enough, and we have a lot of depth at center with Lewis emerging and Schenn and Loktionov waiting for their shot. We have plenty of grinders on the wing, but we lack an elite talent that can strike fear into the opposition. With no significant help coming from Manchester and no UFAs to fill this gap, a trade is the likely answer. Zach Parise would be the guy to go after. NJ probably can't afford him, and does Zach want to play second fiddle to Kovie his whole career? It will cost a lot to get get him, no doubt. But, I can't see the team advancing unless we have someone with his level of skill.

With these two moves, the Kings would be contenders.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Unless the Kings don't qualify Parse or Richardson, which I don't know why they wouldn't, they'll be back. Other teams aren't going to waste the time signing 3rd/4th line role players to RFA contracts.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Harold Snepsts

Relatively new Kings fan here. Can someone tell me why they traded Cammalleri a few years back? He seems like exactly the kind of player the Kings need now.

And I guess we're stuck with Penner next year. I was so high on that guy when he was a Duck, but the fat and lazy label turned out to be true I guess. It's hard to believe such a big guy can be so invisible on the ice so often.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Relatively new Kings fan here. Can someone tell me why they traded Cammalleri a few years back? He seems like exactly the kind of player the Kings need now.

And I guess we're stuck with Penner next year. I was so high on that guy when he was a Duck, but the fat and lazy label turned out to be true I guess. It's hard to believe such a big guy can be so invisible on the ice so often.
Depends on who you ask to be honest

Some people think it was a conspiracy as management didn't like Cammalleri at all.

Some people think that Cammalleri didn't want to stick around.

I believe it was a combination of both, but I think management could have lived with Cammalleri if he wanted to stick around at their price, he didn't, he stated he wanted to play in a Canadian city, and as evidenced by where he resigned when he was able, I am ok with that.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Depends on who you ask to be honest

Some people think it was a conspiracy as management didn't like Cammalleri at all.

Some people think that Cammalleri didn't want to stick around.

I believe it was a combination of both, but I think management could have lived with Cammalleri if he wanted to stick around at their price, he didn't, he stated he wanted to play in a Canadian city, and as evidenced by where he resigned when he was able, I am ok with that.
Ok, thanks. I had wondered if it was something where they were implementing a defensive system and he was not on board. Or if they just knew they wouldn't get him re-signed or something.

Whether valid or not, in my head that's the point where they lost a fair amount of scoring potential that they've not really replaced.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

What I would do (not necessarily what I think actually will happen):

1. Let Ponikarovsky walk (actually, I do think this will happen, thank God);

2. Try to re-sign Handzus to a one year, bargain-basement deal. He probably won't bite, but honestly, I forsee Schenn in Manchester for most (if not all) of next season;

3. Trade Smyth to Edmonton for either a late pick or one of their speedy & cheap forth liners (assuming they have one they wouldn't mind dealing);

4. Try to sign Alex Tanguay to a two-year deal;

5. Hold a true "open competition" between Quick and Bernier in camp; and,

6. Keep Simmonds, at least for now. After the season he had, his value is too low to be effective trade bait, and he just might rebound.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
GMofOilers

No love for my boy Holloway? Voted MVP, most improved, fan favorite in Man this year?

I think he has a very good chance to make the team this year coming up if they decide to qualify him. Think they will? Or let him walk after 3 pro seasons? We would gladly take him from you guys. I think hes going to be the next (Boyle, Moulson, Purcell)?

Old
04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

DL had a number in mind.

Cammy had a number in mind.

These minds did not meet.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
No love for my boy Holloway? Voted MVP, most improved, fan favorite in Man this year?

I think he has a very good chance to make the team this year coming up if they decide to qualify him. Think they will? Or let him walk after 3 pro seasons? We would gladly take him from you guys. I think hes going to be the next (Boyle, Moulson, Purcell)?
He's got a chance in camp, I think. Everyone's going on about how Loktionov or Schenn will be on the team next year, but I think it all comes down to camp. There will be some open spots, and whichever younger players perform best will take those spots--just like what has happened the last few years.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Dean builds from the back up the middle. He will go hard after Richards. Richards will get plenty of offers and picking the Kings would be low, but Dean will try.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.
My exact thoughts. Its nice to know that line can be relied upon for short periods where you need a spark, but Stoll or Lewis are much more suited to centering Clifford and Simmonds full-time.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:56 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Looking at the stats from last year and this year side by side, it's pretty interesting how very few players had a career year this year. Almost everyone regressed.

Jack Johnson went from 8-28-36 -15 in 09-10 to 5-37-42 -21 this year. He's one of the few whose offensive numbers improved though obviously his +/- regressed.

Brown had an almost identical season points-wise (24-32-56 last year, 28-29-57 this year), but his +/- improved from -6 to +17.

Kopitar was again about a ppg player, but improved his +/- from +6 to +25.

The rest of the team... ugh.
Doughty 82gp, 16-43-59 +20 54PIM to 76gp 11-29-40 +13 68PIM(!)
Smyth 67gp 22-31-53 +8 to 82gp 23-24-47 -1
Handzus 81gp 20-22-42 +4 to 82gp 12-18-30 -5
Simmonds 78gp 16-24-40 +22 to 80gp 14-16-30 -2
Stoll 73gp 16-31-47 +13 to 82gp 20-23-43 -6

Old
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Ollie Weeks

I felt Jack's second half was intensely disappointing. He picked it back up for the playoffs, which is what really matters, I suppose.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Parse is no big loss to be honest, letting him go allows one of the kids to step in.

Richardson, I see him resigning again, another 1-2 year deal.

I see Lewis, Richardson, Simmonds, DD, Martinez all resigning.

I hope Simmonds gets moved for a solid wing.

I disagree with Parse and see Richardson as the one that could be let go. Parse has succeeded at each level he's played. With what he could bring on wing is something that isn't quite ready on the farm. Up the middle is where the young guys are ready and where Richardson could be replaced. I like his hustle, speed and the little bit of an edge he plays with. But I'm not certain he is brought back. Just my guess.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Looking at the stats from last year and this year side by side, it's pretty interesting how very few players had a career year this year. Almost everyone regressed.

Jack Johnson went from 8-28-36 -15 in 09-10 to 5-37-42 -21 this year. He's one of the few whose offensive numbers improved though obviously his +/- regressed.

Brown had an almost identical season points-wise (24-32-56 last year, 28-29-57 this year), but his +/- improved from -6 to +17.

Kopitar was again about a ppg player, but improved his +/- from +6 to +25.

The rest of the team... ugh.
Doughty 82gp, 16-43-59 +20 54PIM to 76gp 11-29-40 +13 68PIM(!)
Smyth 67gp 22-31-53 +8 to 82gp 23-24-47 -1
Handzus 81gp 20-22-42 +4 to 82gp 12-18-30 -5
Simmonds 78gp 16-24-40 +22 to 80gp 14-16-30 -2
Stoll 73gp 16-31-47 +13 to 82gp 20-23-43 -6
Everyone looks at his +/- and doesnt look at the real numbers. He was on the ice for nearly 20 less goals this season.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Everyone looks at his +/- and doesnt look at the real numbers. He was on the ice for nearly 20 less goals this season.
Yeah, +/- is a pretty ambiguous statistic, but I threw it in for exactly this reason. I hadn't realized that about Johnson's defensive numbers, that's good to know. Until I'm convinced otherwise, I think the players that really improved this year over last are Kopitar who continued to develop defensive skills and could be a Selke candidate next season; Johnson, whose game I thought improved all around; and Williams, who was healthy and effective for the whole season. (Leaving aside goalies for the moment.)

Closed Thread