HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Here's my new workout I'm starting on monday;

MONDAY - COUCH TO 5K
(5-minute warm-up walk, alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.)

TUESDAY - CROSSFIT
(400m RUN -- 20x20lbs/kettle ball -- 20 pushups -- 20 cruches) x3

WEDNESDAY - COUCH TO 5K
(5-minute warm-up walk, alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.)

THURSDAY - CROSSFIT
(run 100m, 25 pushups, run 100m, 25 cruches, run 100m, 25 squats, run 100m, 25 burpees)

FRIDAY - COUCH TO 5K

SATURDAY - CROSSFIT
(50 double jumps, 50 crunches, 40 double jumps, 40 crunches, 30 double jumps, 30 crunches, 20 double jumps, 20 crunches, 10 double jumps, 10 crunches, 400m walking lunges)

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 04-20-2011 at 08:52 PM.
One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Bumping. I found some pictures on my phone from 1-2 months ago. I thought I'd show some before/after pictures of myself. Ahah this whole picture thing is weird (Yes, its chest only, and not really posing, because I don't know how to do that. I have hairy legs, its not attractive, you don't want leg pics anyways)

The first picture is almost two years ago, a little before I decided that I wanted to be a firefighter, while on vacation. I guess I weighed about 160?

Then I began training from September - May, where I broke my hand / baseball season / a lot of beer. I started it all up again in September again, and this was in April I'm thinking. So give or take a year and a half of training later.

Last time I weighed in at 178-179. I hope with another year, I could get to 190.

Last edited by Beaker: 04-26-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Is it OK to have some complex carbs (as long it's whole-grain) for dinner?
(As a side to a piece of lean meat, of course)

Some say it's not a good idea, while some think otherwise.

I'm confused
Complex carbs are the good kind of carbs that give your body energy, i always try to get them in before I train.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
WeezyHabFan

My first day back to the gym from my back injury also, wish me luck...

Old
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Pascal

great job beaker, that's some nice improvement. keep it up!

gl weezy.. injuries suck. I have a shoulder injury that is hurting for near 3 months now and i am sooo annoyed by it. The back is obv much worse though. My dad has some serious back problems because of a work injury and it's not cool to see.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Here's my new workout I'm starting on monday;

MONDAY - COUCH TO 5K

TUESDAY - CROSSFIT
(400m RUN -- 20x20lbs/kettle ball -- 20 pushups -- 20 cruches) x3

WEDNESDAY - COUCH TO 5K

THURSDAY - CROSSFIT
(run 100m, 25 pushups, run 100m, 25 cruches, run 100m, 25 squats, run 100m, 25 burpees)

FRIDAY - COUCH TO 5K

SATURDAY - CROSSFIT
(50 double jumps, 50 crunches, 40 double jumps, 40 crunches, 30 double jumps, 30 crunches, 20 double jumps, 20 crunches, 10 double jumps, 10 crunches, 400m walking lunges)
How did saturday go?
400m WL is a workout. Adding other stuff to it wasn't necessary. I don't think you knew what you were getting into :p

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How did saturday go?
400m WL is a workout. Adding other stuff to it wasn't necessary. I don't think you knew what you were getting into :p
Haha, it's this Saturday. It looks scary, but I think I can do it.

I'm going be working my ass off to get in shape for Rugby this fall and Police Foundations, so best of luck to me. Haha.

As far as the C25K went, I decided instead of timing intervals (it's a ***** to set the timer to different settings), I decided running 200m, walking 200m for 20 minutes total, would be pretty close to what was needed.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Haha, it's this Saturday. It looks scary, but I think I can do it.

I'm going be working my ass off to get in shape for Rugby this fall and Police Foundations, so best of luck to me. Haha.

As far as the C25K went, I decided instead of timing intervals (it's a ***** to set the timer to different settings), I decided running 200m, walking 200m for 20 minutes total, would be pretty close to what was needed.
I would advise you to do the 400m Walking Lunges before doing some jumps/crunches.
You probably won't even want to do your jumps/crunches after unless you take a break.
Trust me, do the lunges first.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I would advise you to do the 400m Walking Lunges before doing some jumps/crunches.
You probably won't even want to do your jumps/crunches after unless you take a break.
Trust me, do the lunges first.
Would you advise to do the 400m or start with 200m? After a 4-6 weeks move up to the 400m?

Old
04-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Thanks. I'm proud of it. Hopefully this summer I don't let myself get out of focus, like I always do. Winter is easy. Summer + beer = Hard.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

gl weezy.. injuries suck. I have a shoulder injury that is hurting for near 3 months now and i am sooo annoyed by it. The back is obv much worse though. My dad has some serious back problems because of a work injury and it's not cool to see.
Yah it was a rough one back mostly cardio and light weights hopefully tomorrow will go a bit better, its feeling better though.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Would you advise to do the 400m or start with 200m? After a 4-6 weeks move up to the 400m?
Kind of tough to know without knowing how strong physically and mentally (Crossfit is truly a mental test).
If you think 400m might be too much, then go for 200. Personally, I don't think you should add anything around the lunges if you do 400. That alone will fak you up.
Sometimes I do enjoy giving hard workouts only to see where clients may be both mentally and physically, sort of like an evaluation.
If you really want to be hard on yourself, make sure your knees touch the ground so you get proper depth and that you never put your hands on your thighs when you get tired.

I'm also curious to know where you'll be doing those lunges, in a field?
And the other workout where you'll be running, are you intending on doing that on a treadmill? If so, I strongly suggest you find alternatives to running, especially for your 100m sprints.
Also, I'm guessing you mean Kettlebell? Take a little heavier if you can, 20lbs will be too light.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I injured my shoulder on the 19th of march and my back on february 23rd. I finished a smolov base cycle three weeks ago for the front squats (gained 30 pounds on my squat in 3 weeks).

I'm in a cycle called "switching" where you don't go heavy, so I decided I'd try the paleo diet and do a mini-cut. Lost 4 pounds, probably a lot from water since I cut my carbs by a lot, but the calves look like diamonds, can see my traps as a "losange" and my quads are seperated. Pretty interesting stuff. I have about 90% compliance (I'll eat some sweets or white bread sometimes). Can deadlift and back squat again, which is good, back is coming along. Still can't bench but the shoulder is getting much better. Can't wait to be back 90% lol. 100% would be better but will never happen .

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Thanks. I'm proud of it. Hopefully this summer I don't let myself get out of focus, like I always do. Winter is easy. Summer + beer = Hard.
Good job, I would be about the same level as you (probably more ), but injuries and drinking a gallon of beer a day sometimes (no joke) really took its toll the last 7 months.

My advice to anyone is to train safe, if you can avoid injuries, do so. Injuries really destroy progress.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Kind of tough to know without knowing how strong physically and mentally (Crossfit is truly a mental test).
If you think 400m might be too much, then go for 200. Personally, I don't think you should add anything around the lunges if you do 400. That alone will fak you up.
Sometimes I do enjoy giving hard workouts only to see where clients may be both mentally and physically, sort of like an evaluation.
If you really want to be hard on yourself, make sure your knees touch the ground so you get proper depth and that you never put your hands on your thighs when you get tired.

I'm also curious to know where you'll be doing those lunges, in a field?
And the other workout where you'll be running, are you intending on doing that on a treadmill? If so, I strongly suggest you find alternatives to running, especially for your 100m sprints.
Also, I'm guessing you mean Kettlebell? Take a little heavier if you can, 20lbs will be too light.
Thanks, I'll give that a whirl. And nah, I'm doing it all on a 400m track.

As for the kettlebell, thanks for the correction. I actually switched it out though for 20 ... leg raises? No idea what their called, but they are the ones where you lay on your side and raises you legs.. work the obliques. I figured there was no point in adding the kettlebell when I'm doing free weights 4 times per week anyway.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give that a whirl. And nah, I'm doing it all on a 400m track.

As for the kettlebell, thanks for the correction. I actually switched it out though for 20 ... leg raises? No idea what their called, but they are the ones where you lay on your side and raises you legs.. work the obliques. I figured there was no point in adding the kettlebell when I'm doing free weights 4 times per week anyway.
The crossfit method revolves around three systems, Metcons (metabolic conditioning, or Cardio, with exercise such as running, rowing, jump roping, biking, etc..), Gymnastics (push ups, pull ups, squats, HSPU, ab work, dips, etc..) and Weightlifting (Oly lifts, Power lifts, Kettlebells, DB).
If you already have some crunches, you shouldn't add more ab work. If you don't want to put in a weightlifting exercise with KBs, then switch it with Wall balls (here's a great link to a video showing how to do them properly http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...t_Wallball.mov ), or ball slams ( http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._BallSlams.mov ), or simply take a medecine ball and over say, 100m, throw it (So, basically, you throw the ball, walk/run towards it, throw it again, etc.. every time you get to the ball throw it differently, one hand, two hands, backwards, etc..).

Old
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
The crossfit method revolves around three systems, Metcons (metabolic conditioning, or Cardio, with exercise such as running, rowing, jump roping, biking, etc..), Gymnastics (push ups, pull ups, squats, HSPU, ab work, dips, etc..) and Weightlifting (Oly lifts, Power lifts, Kettlebells, DB).
If you already have some crunches, you shouldn't add more ab work. If you don't want to put in a weightlifting exercise with KBs, then switch it with Wall balls (here's a great link to a video showing how to do them properly http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...t_Wallball.mov ), or ball slams ( http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._BallSlams.mov ), or simply take a medecine ball and over say, 100m, throw it (So, basically, you throw the ball, walk/run towards it, throw it again, etc.. every time you get to the ball throw it differently, one hand, two hands, backwards, etc..).
If I can find somewhere to do that at the track, I most definitely will. I like the looks of those. If I do though, shouldn't I switch the squats with something else as well Since I'd be squating during wall-balls?

and I know what crossfit means, I just needed a title for it. I'm just wanting to give myself hard-ass workouts because while I love weightlighting, I just feel like it's "too easy." Not in the sense that it is because I'm always dead after -- but I feel like I could push myself harder on top of it.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
If I can find somewhere to do that at the track, I most definitely will. I like the looks of those. If I do though, shouldn't I switch the squats with something else as well Since I'd be squating during wall-balls?
I was saying you should do one of the wallballs or ball slams or throws. Not sure I understood your question..

Old
04-28-2011, 08:27 AM
glenn77

I am so glad I came across this topic - thanks for posting it.

I have a question (or battle with myself, for lack of a better term) - and its the mental aspect of getting active and getting in shape.

Where does your motivation come from? I find it such an inner struggle to get motivated and get to the gym
Last yr I went to the gym around 2-3 times/week - then bought my first house and since then its like I have become, almost a home-body. I don't wanna go. My wife says its because I am partially lazy and partially a fear of body pain if I work out. I literally feel scared to go to the gym sometimes. Other times I feel I don't belong there because everyone is so much more in shape and they would laugh at me.

My diet is very healthy, thats one good thing - no sweets, no pop, maybe a beer/week but thats it. Fruits, vegies, water, chicken, etc.

So long story short, (or short-story long lol) - how do I get going? How do I keep going? Why am I scared to go to the gym?

I apologize if it seems like I am a loser but really need some help!

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post

I have a question (or battle with myself, for lack of a better term) - and its the mental aspect of getting active and getting in shape.

Where does your motivation come from? I find it such an inner struggle to get motivated and get to the gym
Last yr I went to the gym around 2-3 times/week - then bought my first house and since then its like I have become, almost a home-body. I don't wanna go. My wife says its because I am partially lazy and partially a fear of body pain if I work out. I literally feel scared to go to the gym sometimes. Other times I feel I don't belong there because everyone is so much more in shape and they would laugh at me.

My diet is very healthy, thats one good thing - no sweets, no pop, maybe a beer/week but thats it. Fruits, vegies, water, chicken, etc.

So long story short, (or short-story long lol) - how do I get going? How do I keep going? Why am I scared to go to the gym?

You're not a loser, you're at least honest which makes you, a winner!

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my motivation simply comes from my health. Exercising is key to a healthier life. You already have the nutrition part of it down, which is very important, now you just have to get the ball rolling.

I also love my trainings because it is more of a sport. I don't go to the gym as a social event like plenty do. I don't do boring workouts that are overly repetitive. Olympic lifts, Gymnastic moves and some strength exercises are what I usually do, and it requires me to be very technical, pretty much coaching myself. I love it.

I'm 27, but I don't really look my age, most usually give me about 22-23 and I always tell them, I hope this continues and I know exercising is extremely important in achieving great health, both physically and mentally.
It might also help that I've always been into sports. So, it's always been part of my life.
I also love hearing my girlfriend tell me how I'm so hot, that's always great to hear. I'm sure your wife would appreciate you working out as well, she'll take it as a compliment seeing how you'd be ''doing it for her''.

As far as the scare of pain, just remember one thing, Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:

You just need to find something you enjoy. If you're not motivated to go to the gym, maybe you haven't found the routine or haven't taken the time to see the results. Maybe it's just not something that'll ever be interesting for you. For me, I started loving lifting weights when I started doing a sport i.e. seeing it as practice for my next competition. Maybe you don't need the gym, maybe you just need to find a sport you like.

Oh, and nobody laughs at you, that's a guarantee. People are way too busy looking at themselves to even notice you.

It's like anything though, you need to take the time at first and make small steps. Most people want everything NOW and aren't willing to go step by step, but its key to pretty much everything in life.

Don't do it for the lady(ies) either, do it for yourself.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

I've never seen that happen once! It's not gonna happen..

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:11 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I was saying you should do one of the wallballs or ball slams or throws. Not sure I understood your question..
Nevermind. Doesn't really matter, my Rugby coach gave me a workout that I must start in June, so I'll only be doing this for 4-weeks. Thanks for the help though bro.

Quote:

I've been in shape and severely out of shape. No one (I'm sure theres the odd loser) will laugh at anyone. If I see a 500 pound person there on the treadmill, I would do anything I could to help or make them feel welcome (without going out of my way to make them feel awkward). If they ask for something, I'll help in any way I can. If not, I'll give them a friendly nod as I pass or something of the like.

People in better shape than me do the same. People WANT to help people get in better shape. The gym is one place in this world where everyone is the same. Trust me on that.

As for motivation, it comes that morning you wake up and you're just like **** my life, I need to get in shape because I hate looking at myself. Or after that 3rd fast meal of the day when you think, If I keep this up I'm going to be dead before I can enjoy my new house.

Any time at the gym is good time. If you can only go 40 minutes, only go 40 minutes. You can get a hell of a circuit workout in that time.

After you go for 2-3 weeks, you won't even think of not going. It becomes habit and you actually like it.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
So I started training and I went for this:

It's relatively simple because i'm working out at home and I'm severely out of shape. I will increase the weights and distances I run soon enough.

Treadmill(3 runs)
100 calories
50 calories
50 calories

5 sets of 15 push ups

5 sets of 10 weighted squats

5 sets of 10 bench press

That's about it for now. I'm likely going to increase the cardio next. I'm starting a job next week I believe. Manual labour, so altogether I'd be doing physical activity 5 times a week or so. I'm keeping workout moderate because i don't wanna drain myself out before I get in shape.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So I started training and I went for this:

It's relatively simple because i'm working out at home and I'm severely out of shape. I will increase the weights and distances I run soon enough.

Treadmill(3 runs)
100 calories
50 calories
50 calories

5 sets of 15 push ups

5 sets of 10 weighted squats

5 sets of 10 bench press

That's about it for now. I'm likely going to increase the cardio next. I'm starting a job next week I believe. Manual labour, so altogether I'd be doing physical activity 5 times a week or so. I'm keeping workout moderate because i don't wanna drain myself out before I get in shape.
That's quite a few squats. I would change one of your chest exercises to deadlifts or bent over rows.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote