HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller

Old
04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
The problem with many fans is that they see flashes of brilliance from a young player and think that they should get 20 minutes and displace every vetern high salary player. The reason why they look so good in short burst is that :
1-they are good, that is why they were drafted and made it past the AHL level
2-they are playing limited roles, which lowers their exposure to top defensive pairings

An 82 game regular season and 28 game playoff is not a sprint. In fact, even one game is not a sprint. So, in a short spurt, a young inexperienced player can look great, but they lack the consitency to be effective in a larger role. As well, they may have one element that makes them stand out. For a short while, the young player can run free iand repeat that one element, and look great but an opposing team will quickly identify it and counter it if they become to much of a threat.

A player with experience has gotten over this hump. They have had the opportunity to see many different variations of defensive pressure, they can improvise at the NHL level. The game has slowed down.

As much as you hate vertern X, it is rare that a player can come out of the blue and be a constant threat for many minutes in a game. Being that quick of a study requires serious skill.

An example, Taylor Hall did it, but Tyler Seguin did not. And Seguin may turn out to be the better player of the two, time will tell.

So, while you may love a few shifts of Lars Eller (as I did), he is not ready for 20 plus minutes of prime time hockey. If the Habs were a non-playoff expansion team, then yes, he would have more ice. But then, he could become just another Daigle or Pouliot.

Last edited by Joe Cole: 04-25-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Plekanec was a monster on the bottom lines.

We should give Eller some tapes of Pleks when he had number 35.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
The problem with many fans is that they see flashes of brilliance from a young player and think that they should get 20 minutes and displace every vetern high salary player. The reason why they look so good in short burst is that :
2-they are playing limited roles, which lowers their exposure to top defensive pairings

An 82 game regular season and 28 game playoff is not a sprint. In fact, even one game is not a sprint. So, in a short spurt, a young inexperienced player can look great, but they lack the consitency to be effective in a larger role. As well, they may have one element that makes them stand out. For a short while, the young player can run free iand repeat that one element, and look great but an opposing team will quickly identify it and counter it if they become to much of a threat.

A player with experience has gotten over this hump. They have had the opportunity to see many different variations of defensive pressure, they can improvise at the NHL level. The game has slowed down.

As much as you hate vertern X, it is rare that a player can come out of the blue and be a constant threat for many minutes in a game. Being that quick of a study requires serious skill.

An example, Taylor Hall did it, but Tyler Seguin did not. And Seguin may turn out to be the better player of the two, time will tell.

So, while you may love a few shifts of Lars Eller (as I did), he is not ready for 20 plus minutes of prime time hockey. If the Habs were a non-playoff expansion team, then yes, he would have more ice. But then, he could become just another Daigle or Pouliot.
Agree with this as a general consensus, but we had one of our top line centers playing like complete garbage all year. Salary aside. It would have been really nice to see at least 1 or 2 of Gomez' minutes given to Eller. ONE, to get Gomez off the ice because at times he was actually making the team worse and TWO, to give Eller some time with guys like Cammy and Gio.

As for Seguin, I think the Bruins managed him horribly this year. They knew they had a deep team and he wasn't going to have a place outside the bottom six, which is where he belongs. He should have played Junior again. He just didn't play enough hockey to develop this year. Seems like a waste to me.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:

That's a great assessment,and he also goes against the other teams bottom 6.I'd like to see him get tougher if he has it in him. That said,the other nite was the best he's ever looked imo

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
Agree with this as a general consensus, but we had one of our top line centers playing like complete garbage all year. Salary aside. It would have been really nice to see at least 1 or 2 of Gomez' minutes given to Eller. ONE, to get Gomez off the ice because at times he was actually making the team worse and TWO, to give Eller some time with guys like Cammy and Gio.

As for Seguin, I think the Bruins managed him horribly this year. They knew they had a deep team and he wasn't going to have a place outside the bottom six, which is where he belongs. He should have played Junior again. He just didn't play enough hockey to develop this year. Seems like a waste to me.
great post ande agreed

Eller is nearly 22 ...he is ready fo prime time

Seguin is like Thornton ...they brought him up slowly but he is fine

Eller will be one our better players in time but if DD can get second PP duty Eller deserves more ice time

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Eller is no longer a rookie. He's almost played an entire season. It's time to remove the ****ing training wheels and stop babying him.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He's already moved up on the depth chart ahead of Gomez.

Well, according to everyone but Martin.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Cookie007

Lars Eller = Mike Peca/Mike Fisher?

It seems to me that Pierre Mcguire might be right about Larry. I see a lot of a Peca/Fisher type in him. He's defensively sound with a little spark of offence. Perhaps a 40-50 point player. My question is, would you guys be happy if Eller peak was a Peca/Fisher type of player? Considering we traded our playoff hero last year in Halak for him, would you expect him to be more?

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
It seems to me that Pierre Mcguire might be right about Larry. I see a lot of a Peca/Fisher type in him. He's defensively sound with a little spark of offence. Perhaps a 40-50 point player. My question is, would you guys be happy if Eller peak was a Peca/Fisher type of player? Considering we traded our playoff hero last year in Halak for him, would you expect him to be more?
I think it's still too early to tell with Eller what his ceiling will be.
I think he has more skill and better hands than Mike Fisher, although no where near as good a shot right now.
As for point totals, that will depend on the players he plays with and the type of system the team plays.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Bullsmith

To be honest he reminds of a very young Bobby Holik, when he was breaking into the league in Hartford.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Pascal

He reminds me a bit of Jared Staal. I think he'll be solid on both ends of the ice as a 2nd line C. He just needs to beef up a bit.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Typical Habs fans lol

I don't know about you...but I equate calling a player a "hero" when he's helped accomplish something significant, not helping to win 2 playoff rounds.

Halak might of been a 'playoff hero' in the minds of over-zealous Habs fans...but in reality, he was a goalie who got hot during two playoffs rounds before fizzling out.

Good on Gauthier for capitalizing on that very fact...not sure he would of been able to get the same return had he waited much longer.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He reminds me a bit of Jared Staal. I think he'll be solid on both ends of the ice as a 2nd line C. He just needs to beef up a bit.
Oh god no !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think he has more offensive upside than that. #1 center on a bottom half team, #2 center on a contender.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Jared Staal is not even a center and he is playing ECHL.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I'd move him to the wing on a scoring line. He's not ready for the faceoff circle imo. Put Pyatt in there and have Pyatt play against the Lucic line like in our first two wins.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I'd move him to the wing on a scoring line. He's not ready for the faceoff circle imo. Put Pyatt in there and have Pyatt play against the Lucic line like in our first two wins.
The Plekanec line was against the Krejci line all series. Would be dumb to change since we are winning that matchup pretty handily. They have 4 points combined in 5 games.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Typical Habs fans lol

I don't know about you...but I equate calling a player a "hero" when he's helped accomplish something significant, not helping to win 2 playoff rounds.

Halak might of been a 'playoff hero' in the minds of over-zealous Habs fans...but in reality, he was a goalie who got hot during two playoffs rounds before fizzling out.

Good on Gauthier for capitalizing on that very fact...not sure he would of been able to get the same return had he waited much longer.
That's rather inaccurate considering that without Halak there would not of even been a postseason for the Habs last year.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Oh god no !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Jared Staal is not even a center and he is playing ECHL.
Come on guys, clearly hes talking about Jarett StOLL
or at least i hope so

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
That's rather inaccurate considering that without Halak there would not of even been a postseason for the Habs last year.
Without Hamrlik either, wonder if there will be a huge uproar if he isn't re-signed?

Old
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Andy

Quote:
Other teams don't care about our "playoff hero".

Without Cammalleri and Gionta we don't get our of the 2nd round no matter how good goaltending was. They had 50% of the team's goals.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Other teams don't care about our "playoff hero".

Without Cammalleri and Gionta we don't get our of the 2nd round no matter how good goaltending was. They had 50% of the team's goals.
You know, the fact being awesome for 2 rounds constitutes to being a 'playoff hero' really shows how mediocre the Habs have been for a while now. I mean come on, I'm not old enough to say I've seen multiple cup wins nor do I expect the Habs to win the cup every year with all the parity in the NHL, but winning two rounds isn't really something to amazed about. There's always a new hero, no need to keep hanging on to an old one that got us half way there. It was damn fun to be a part of last playoffs, especially for the younger fans who haven't seen playoff success, but it's time to move on. At the end of the day, we made it past 2 of 4 rounds before being destroyed in round 3. Time to see if someone else can help us reach the actual goal.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Eller is no longer a rookie. He's almost played an entire season. It's time to remove the ****ing training wheels and stop babying him.

he hasn't even finished his rookie season yet, and you think he is no longer a rookie. Wow.

Maybe they should award the Calder trophy in December.

The problem with this board for the 8 or so years that I have been on it is that the people who post on here are obsessed with rookies and prospects. Ever 1st year player should displace all veterns. Experience is worthless.

Babying Eller .... lets crush his development instead and play him against the top opposition shift after shift after training camp, the way an expansion team does.

That worked out so well for Poulliot, PM Bouchard, Daigle, Legwand, etc....

Old
04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
I do not buy that for one minute. No one can say that Halak did not come up big, but please.... share some of the credit around, or lack credibility.

It kind of helped that you had Hamrlik playing out his mind, Gill become a second goaltender, and Cammelari being a top goal scorer in the playoffs. Hell, an arguement could be made fo other players too...including Pyatt.

No, Halak did it all by himself.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
I do not buy that for one minute. No one can say that Halak did not come up big, but please.... share some of the credit around, or lack credibility.

It kind of helped that you had Hamrlik playing out his mind, Gill become a second goaltender, and Cammelari being a top goal scorer in the playoffs. Hell, an arguement could be made fo other players too...including Pyatt.

No, Halak did it all by himself.
I think we can all agree that we are much happier with a young superstar goalie and a promising center prospect rather than 2 young #1 goaltenders. Right?

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote