HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you comfortable with Brian Boucher as a playoff performer?

Old
04-26-2011, 07:19 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Bouche!!!!

The Flyers are built to score opponents. They won't play a single game this playoff season in which they have the better goalie.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:00 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Bouche!!!!

The Flyers are built to score opponents. They won't play a single game this playoff season in which they have the better goalie.
If you're trying to advocate a more sensible spelling of "Boosh", give up. I tried to get that to catch on when we first re-signed him, and nobody was havin' it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:06 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
It's funny, if you hadn't watched the series, you'd just see that he's 3-1 with a 2.12 GAA and 0.935 sv%. Good numbers. Honestly, if he hadn't screwed up in start of game 5, they'd make sense too.

If those gaffes were a one time thing and he could sustain a nice long streak of good play, I'd be very pleased and as comfortable as can be. But we know Boucher can't do that.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

First Shutout of the season?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not like we really have a choice.
We agree, although if they get to the next round I would certainly consider Bobrovsky as a possible choice, I still think he is the better goalie but Laviolette should probably go with experience. Bottom line is Leighton should not see the ice again, thanks for everything but no thanks.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
It's funny, if you hadn't watched the series, you'd just see that he's 3-1 with a 2.12 GAA and 0.935 sv%. Good numbers. Honestly, if he hadn't screwed up in start of game 5, they'd make sense too.

If those gaffes were a one time thing and he could sustain a nice long streak of good play, I'd be very pleased and as comfortable as can be. But we know Boucher can't do that.
Numbers are always deceiving. The Flyers do not need a goalie to stand on his head, just make the timely saves and do not let in any softies. Problem is Boucher by nature is a streaky goalie and why I do not have much confidence over the long haul.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers have full confidence in Boucher for Game 7

This was actually funny...good article overall. Let's see which Boosh we get tonight...NO SOFTIES CURLY OR WE'LL MURDERIZE YA!

Quote:
There’s certainly humor to be found in the “goalie carousel.” A newspaper in Buffalo even referred to the three Flyers’ goalies as the “Three Stooges,” a gag that Boucher accepted with the same sense of composure he’s showed in net most of this Eastern Conference quarterfinal – and through much of the regular season.

“That’s pretty funny,” he said. “Which was the bald-headed one? Curly? That’s the guy I like the most. Maybe I’ll be curly.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/04/25/11/Fl...514&feedID=704

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
LI Fly Guy

Bob is backup, Backlund is 3, Goodbye Leighton!

Pannacio just Tweeted it!

"tpanotch Bob backing up Boosh. I am told Backlund is third goalie"

How the **** did we start that slapd!ck in an elimination game on the road?!?

Hopefully we win and let him rot in the A next year and never see him in Orange again.....

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post

Hopefully we win and let him rot in the A next year and never see him in Orange again.....
Clearly Homer finally stepped in and helped Lavi fill out the lineup card!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:55 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Game 6, facing elimination, isn't the ideal game to have a goalie prove himself. Anyway, better Leight than never, am I right? I'm thinking his absolute banishment might be from throwing the D under a bus.

The ONLY thing I like about Leighton playing is that the team plays like there's an empty net. Which there basically is. However, I'm now comfortable with our goaltending. Not ecstatic, but not having a heart attack either.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Boucher is shown throughout his career is that like most goalies he is streaky. If you get him on a hot streak, he's as good as anybody. But there's no telling when he's going to have that clunker game. If he only has 1 per series, totally OK with it. Most goalies do. He seems to be able to bounce back, which unfortunately we never got to see with bob. He the mentally toughest of the 3.
In the 2000 ECF Boucher didnt allow but maybe one bad goal the entire series. I thought he was going to be the man in Philly for years but things happen I guess.

I think he'll play good tonight for you guys. He didnt flinch as a rookie playing in a game 7 for the eastern Conference so he won't flinch now.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Unfortunately Leighton is the ZOMBIE of NHL goalies....he will rear his ugly head and goalie style on this team again. Zombies take over your brain and he clearly has captured both Lavy and Holmgren's brain. No other explanation for the signing in the offseason and Lavy making THE MOST BRUTAL DECISION OF HIS FLYERS COACHING CAREER! Leighton is not dead folks.....sorry he just isn't. Besides, there are still the Leighton apologists who are in hiding but they will crawl out of the dirt after this season is over and say how because of his 3 shutouts..COUNT EM 3 SHUTOUTS in the Playoffs LAST YEAR he deserves to be the starter and given another chance. NOT LIKE THE FINALS WASN'T ENOUGH OF A CHANCE TO ESTABLISH YOUR CREDENTIALS!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
nezlam

Send a message via AIM to nezlam
Great news, goodbye Leighton.

nezlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Game 6, facing elimination, isn't the ideal game to have a goalie prove himself. Anyway, better Leight than never, am I right? I'm thinking his absolute banishment might be from throwing the D under a bus.
And not taking any responsibility for completely and totally ******** the bed.

MFL, you have been voted off the island. Collect your things and GTFO. See ya. Bye-bye. Ta-ta. Shoo. **** off. Goodbye.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I wont lie. Didnt we have this thread for Bob right before playoffs or something? This is the kind of thread we have seen in the past, and the next game, the goalie we are talking about has a ****** game and gets pulled.

Right now Boosh is playing for a contract. In one way, I hope he does well so we can win games. In another, I realllyyy dont want a Bob/Boucher combo again next season.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:48 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

You can't make this **** up. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Backlund somehow find his way into a game.

This should effectively end Leighton's Flyers career, no?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:49 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Clearly Homer finally stepped in and helped Lavi fill out the lineup card!
...in Game 6 maybe. Homer was the dumbass who signed Leighton and then called him back up. I'm sure he forced Lavi's hand to get Leighton in there.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Good, I hope Bob is ready if needed.

Leighton to the minors til the end of next year, then there will be no contract given and he'll find himself overseas!

About ****ing time!

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
...in Game 6 maybe. Homer was the dumbass who signed Leighton and then called him back up. I'm sure he forced Lavi's hand to get Leighton in there.
Then Lavy should be fired for allowing Holmgren to make a coaching decision.

Just save the blame-Homer ****. The way that Lavy has used the goalies is all on him. Stop trying to shift the damned blame.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Then Lavy should be fired for allowing Holmgren to make a coaching decision.

Just save the blame-Homer ****. The way that Lavy has used the goalies is all on him. Stop trying to shift the damned blame.
I'm sure Homer is definitely going to fire him for that.

If Bob really had a mental breakdown as the rumors say, Lavi didn't have many choices to make. The only one he made that I disagree with was starting Leighton last game, but if Leighton played just like he did in Game 5 we might have scraped by. Instead, he was even worse, although that was not unexpected, but there really is no blame to be assigned in my mind other than on the goalies themselves.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I wont lie. Didnt we have this thread for Bob right before playoffs or something? This is the kind of thread we have seen in the past, and the next game, the goalie we are talking about has a ****** game and gets pulled.

Right now Boosh is playing for a contract. In one way, I hope he does well so we can win games. In another, I realllyyy dont want a Bob/Boucher combo again next season.
My ultimate nightmare as we progressed through the playoffs last year was that we'd settle on Leighton and Boucher for this season. My nightmare came true. Luckily, it became slightly improved when Leighton got hurt and Bob proved ready.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
I'm sure Homer is definitely going to fire him for that.

If Bob really had a mental breakdown as the rumors say, Lavi didn't have many choices to make. The only one he made that I disagree with was starting Leighton last game, but if Leighton played just like he did in Game 5 we might have scraped by. Instead, he was even worse, although that was not unexpected, but there really is no blame to be assigned in my mind other than on the goalies themselves.
I disagree. I can definitely blame Lavy for starting Leighton in game 6. If I was the coach, I seriously would have considered pulling him for OT in game 5, that's how shaky he looked to me.

Bob may in fact have had a mental breakdown necessitating Leighton dressing, I know for a fact that Boosh would have been mentally fine for game 6.

Look, I like Lavy. I think he's a great coach. The way he's handled the goalies has been just awful this series. He's a hunch guy, and I'm guessing he played his hunches, and it backfired.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
so I am assuming Backlund didnt have to clear re-entry? good.

Leighton GTFO.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:57 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The way that Lavy has used the goalies is all on him.
It's not like Lavy was given much to choose from, however, I do agree that his goaltending decisions in this series are on him. I highly doubt, Holmgrem stepped in after game five and said he had to start Leighton.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
If you're trying to advocate a more sensible spelling of "Boosh", give up. I tried to get that to catch on when we first re-signed him, and nobody was havin' it.
LOL good advice

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote