HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

what can i say, i am not surprised

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2003, 09:58 PM
  #1
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
what can i say, i am not surprised

what a stinker, turned the game off after the second period, geez after that crapfest against vancouver i thought at least they would put in a good effort against calgary. if they had played hard and still lost, i could swallow that but two straight games with a complete lack of effort and mindless mistakes, gimme a break. once again i reiterate, THE OILERS NEED A LEADER SOMEBODY WHO WILL COME IN AND LEAD THE YOUNG GUYS. you know what it might be that simple, a guy like oates would do wonders(too much of course), it is pretty clear to me this teams lacks leadership. to me that explains the lack of intensity the last couple of years, coincides with the trade of weight.
vancouver was smart by signing keane to a contract and honestly i am quite tired right now so i cannot think of anybody else who the oilers could sign that would help.

another point, this teams needs a centre soon or else the season is lost. i was one of those who believed the oilers could not replace marchant and now comrie with smyth and york playing centre. smyth looks lost and it is really affecting his game, wake up this guy is like a power forward, he sets up shop in front of the net and deflects or works his butt off to score. what is he doing trying to set up isbister or hemsky. remember last year hemsky and smyth were great because smyth camped in front of the net and hemsky fed him great passes most of the time. poor use of a great forward in my estimation, his play of late has been terrible but how can you fault him. york again another guy who is much better on the wing. his speed and quickness are an asset on the wing not centre.
last but not least, our defense is very weak. i see a lot of plodding wildebeest out there not gazelles. vancouver and now calgary are exploiting this weakness and guaranteed other teams are watching this and are going to kick the oilers butts because of this. if you have one or two guys who are slow you can pair him with somebody quicker, but this year there is nobody on this defense who skates very well. we might have the toughness, but we sure lack the footspeed and watching guys like iglinla burn cross and bergeron(just using them as an example fergie is no better) is going to make for some long nights this hockey season.

regardless you know what i want to see out of this team, EFFORT AN HONEST EFFORT. like i mentioned before i dont mind seeing them lose if they put in the effort, but i will certainly not bother watching a team lose because they don't care. it is early in the season but if this is any indication how the season might be, it is going to be a long one and i won't give myself a heart attack watching guys play like they are on dope.PLEASE SOMEBODY GIVE THIS TEAM A HEARTBEAT. If not i wonder how much longer mact is the coach, he has some i say some responsibility for this debacle.

anyhou have a good night.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
  #2
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,101
vCash: 500
This may be sacrilage to say this around here, considering his history..

But how about Phil Housley?

Or maybe Cliff Ronning?

Both could help the Oilers a lot, I'd say. Cliffy could play the 2nd line centre role efficiently, and Housley would obviously give a very smooth passer for the power play (obviously, just use him as a power play specialist).

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:04 PM
  #3
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
i like the cliff ronning idea although the idea of adding another small guy is not great however he does have great leadership qualities.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:05 PM
  #4
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
i like the cliff ronning idea although the idea of adding another small guy is not great however he does have great leadership qualities.
Cliffy isn't very big, no. However, I would argue he's just as physical as Oates is.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
  #5
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
good points however i digress the oilers really need a taller second line centreman but i would settle for ronning because of his leadership, no doubt a couple of steps up on jason smith. smith has not been the same player since being thrust into this role.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:10 PM
  #6
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,101
vCash: 500
Then what about Housley? I can think of a lot more worse ideas than him.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
  #7
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
we have enough guys who give the puck away already, we don't need housley. no doubt in a limited role he could help the powerplay but would he fit into the budget. i cannot see lowe or in this matter the owners willing to put in the money to sign a guy who mostly plays on the powerplay. berard would be a better fit although his defensive lapses are not much better however he is younger and might fit in with lets say smith.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:21 PM
  #8
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,101
vCash: 500
They wouldn't sign a guy who mostly plays on the power play? I don't know about that, many teams have guys like that. Andy Delmore, for instance, in Buffalo gives them another dimension on the point. Housley is a very, very good point man on the power play, even if he isn't the greatest stalwart defensivly. He's one of the few guys in this league where I cringe if he's holding the puck on the PP against my Canucks.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:25 PM
  #9
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
once again do you think the oilers would be willing to sign housley for him to play mostly on the powerplay. some organizations would however the oilers have not done this for many years since looking back reijo ruotsalainen back in the eighties. not only is the powerplay bad this team needs a puck rushing defenseman and right now off the top of my head there really is not anybody out there unless they trade for him.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
  #10
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
The Oilers have a good natural center sitting in the press box, his name is Jarret Stoll and he needs to play between Torres and Laraque. The Smyth center experiment should end and Horcoff must move up and start playing with our more offensively talented players. Although I thought the defense played better, Semenov needs to crank up that 100+ mile an hour shot from the point and start intiminating shot blockers or putting some hurt on them. Both these players are large bodies, so let's get them in the lineup; let's use our so called depth the Oilers' braintrust spent so long evaluating.

And Ferggy was steadier tonight than Smith (2 give-aways) and Brewer was less than adequate, moving too slowly he always seemed mentally unprepared to make the crisp quick play. The Oilers' breakouts, and shootins were ineffectual and plodding. Too much retreating and reorganizing again; not enough pushing the puck ahead and paying the price. Too many cute plays and not enough driving to the net and forcing the play through the defense and then into the oppositions net. Georges had one determined move to the net tonight he has to get there 3 to 4 times a night not just once.

Those that think Comrie will make a big difference; think again. Calgary should have beat the 'Oil' 3 to nothing not just 1 to zero. Comrie adds a goal the Oilers probably still loose 3 to 1.

OYLer is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 04:23 AM
  #11
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
i don't mind the ronning idea but i'm sure the oilers could convince comrie to stop pouting for what he would cost. so frankly i'd rather have comrie than ronning (and i'm not exactly a comrie fan).

housley? hell no. the last thing the oilers need is a dressing room drunk. i'm sure tension is already high enough without housley's special brand of team cancer.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 05:33 AM
  #12
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
I remember at the pre-season games, Kevin Lowe and MacT stressed that The Oilers will not focus on scoring more goal this year, and they will tighten up defensive play. So far they have done that. 6 goals against and 5 goals for in three games can be interpreted as MacT's phylosophy. Every player is playing tentatively (defensive mind overrides creativity). Whoever does not play defensive system will sit, and thus everyone is trying to play safe for themselve. Too tight a system, I guess. Is it too extreme? I don't know, but this is only my cheap observation.

xauxi is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 05:57 AM
  #13
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
I remember at the pre-season games, Kevin Lowe and MacT stressed that The Oilers will not focus on scoring more goal this year, and they will tighten up defensive play. So far they have done that. 6 goals against and 5 goals for in three games can be interpreted as MacT's phylosophy. Every player is playing tentatively (defensive mind overrides creativity). Whoever does not play defensive system will sit, and thus everyone is trying to play safe for themselve. Too tight a system, I guess. Is it too extreme? I don't know, but this is only my cheap observation.
What?

It has nothing to do with what system they are using right now. I mean the Oilers gave up 3 goals to the Canucks because they were pressing for offense.

The Oilers had some decent chances against the Flames, they just needed to bury them, and as for Vancouver, I honestly think the non-call on Staios on the early goal really messed them up and got them completely off their game.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 06:07 AM
  #14
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
I remember at the pre-season games, Kevin Lowe and MacT stressed that The Oilers will not focus on scoring more goal this year, and they will tighten up defensive play. So far they have done that. 6 goals against and 5 goals for in three games can be interpreted as MacT's phylosophy. Every player is playing tentatively (defensive mind overrides creativity). Whoever does not play defensive system will sit, and thus everyone is trying to play safe for themselve. Too tight a system, I guess. Is it too extreme? I don't know, but this is only my cheap observation.
I disagree with dawgbone and think you xauxi have made a very astute observation. Notice the Nucks & the Flames didn't retreat into a defensive mode until they had the lead late in the respective games. Whereas the 'Oil' played tentatively to open both games.

OYLer is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 06:12 AM
  #15
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What?

It has nothing to do with what system they are using right now. I mean the Oilers gave up 3 goals to the Canucks because they were pressing for offense.

The Oilers had some decent chances against the Flames, they just needed to bury them, and as for Vancouver, I honestly think the non-call on Staios on the early goal really messed them up and got them completely off their game.
For both games in Vancouver and Calgary, I thinh the Oilers pressed for offence WITHIN the defensive mind, therefore, their attacks were not FULLY executed. Of course, no need to say my hockey knowledge is very limited, I still have a high hope for Oilers this year though. Time and practice will help them overcome the drought. Thanks for your comment, Dawgbone.

xauxi is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 06:16 AM
  #16
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I've been saying for a couple weeks that a veteran forward like Oates or Ronning would do wonders for this young team. I also think that Pisani just isn't bringing ANYTHING to the table. he has been the weak link on the RPM line. Offensively he has below average hands for a fourth liner. Defensively he'd be a bit above average on a fourth line. He doesn't belong where he is, getting the minutes he does when we have Rita and Salmo and Stoll all ready to step in some where.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
  #17
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
if this trend continues (a tie AT WORST against buffalo, and a combined score of 9-2 in favor of colorado in their next 2 games), i say get salmo and rita up here, put an end to this SMyth at centre experiment (i dunno, i havent really minded him at wing for the past 8 years), and put Stoll in (who actually has DESIRE in his eyes when he plays now, unlike about 9 oiler forwards last nite).

and the comrie thing. If Klowe panics (which Klowe doesnt), every team knows hes dealing from a position of weakness, so at most, the most drastic thing this team can do is sign vet (which we know happens often in this part of canada)

windowlicker is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:03 AM
  #18
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
and the comrie thing. If Klowe panics (which Klowe doesnt), every team knows hes dealing from a position of weakness, so at most, the most drastic thing this team can do is sign vet (which we know happens often in this part of canada)
You're quite right. Every loss this season drives Comrie's trade value just a little bit down, as Lowe's urgency to move him goes up.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:39 AM
  #19
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
well one thing is for sure if they play this way against the avalanche and blues in upcoming games they are going to be taught a lesson. just a thought, the next four games will tell us about the mentality of this team and whether or not they can even make a push for the playoffs. looking forward to watching forsberg,sakic,hejduk,kariya,and selanne kicking our butts if the oilers show the same emotion and desire, at least i will get to see an offensive display.

it is not the end of the world no doubt, but regardless i insist this is not a playoff team.they lost too many players from last year and you cannot tell me a guy like pisani is nhl material. this team is even younger this year and that will prove their downfall, i only hope to see some good games from this team, however i know there will be times they will falter and lose their composure. i expect these things from a young team like this. either way i look forward to the future if recent draft picks pan out.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:55 AM
  #20
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Every loss this season drives Comrie's trade value just a little bit down, as Lowe's urgency to move him goes up.
replace the ", as" with "if", and that's about right, IMO

speeds is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.