HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (2) San Jose Sharks vs (7) Los Angeles Kings | Sharks Win Series 4-2

Old
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
bob8880

vCash: 500
Great series Sharks. We will get you next year.

bob8880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
It's hard to say the Kings turtled. I believe they outshot the Sharks in all three OTs.
You would be perfectly wrong.

Game 1 OT SOG SJ-14 LA-9
Game 2 OT SOG SJ-2 LA-0
Game 6 OT SOG SJ-1 LA-0

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
@Logancouture
Anyone got anything to say about our Captain, or the way our team battles? Don't think so...#haterscanhate #ontothenextone
Uh, get back to us in a couple of weeks.

In case you missed it Logan, you were more clutch than your captain.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
polmaniac932

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Oh, please do explain. I'd love to hear this.

polmaniac932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
druncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
That was HFBoards mentality that this was going to be a sweep...which is the furthest thing from reality. They lose their biggest, baddest player, and around here it's "ZOMG that's an automatic first round bye to whoever plays them" which is a statement with absolutely zero thought yet generally accepted.

Anyone with a clue about these two teams expected a battle and that's exactly what this series was. I can't say I'm surprised by the results though since I believe it wasn't their time to shine...yet.
the kings will be a top 4 team in the west next year. i wouldn't be surprised to see these two teams face off in the playoffs again next year, but with a different result.

druncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

In the post-season, your depth guys have to come through and produce. Everybody wanted to talk about how not having Kopitar, where would the scoring come from? What I saw was a tenacious LA team on the forecheck, utilizing their boardplay and size and creating a ton of chances that pounced on turnovers.

Kings fans have a lot to look forward to, they are going to be tough for years. Solid goaltending, young and talented defense, and an offense that has room to grow and more to use in the years coming.

Sharks didn't match up well with them the whole regular season, there was never a chance for them to sweep this series or finish in 5. One OT to the Kings, and this went to 7.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
polmaniac932

For the record, Joe Thornton was ‎64.2% in FOs throughout the series, and won 12 of 17 last night for the clincher.

polmaniac932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
santiclaws

Wasn't expecting much, but it still hurt. The Kings got beat by a better, deeper team. Good luck, Sharks!

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Thepainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Yeah, how dare him stick up for his captain... what a jerk.

Seriously, that Logan tweeted that... shows these guys can lash back at the idiots who write crap on forums.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
TOML

Kings had a fairly disappointing season, from losing Kovy onwards, but losing Kopitar capped it off.

Signing Poni was a bust.

Acquiring Penner was a bust.

Handzus was awful all season long.

Re-Signing oft-injured Williams will prove to be an error.

Jack Johnson hasn't done much since his new contract.

Brown vanished in the playoffs.

Still awaiting Doughty's new deal. Should be extensive... er... Expensive.

Thank God Brayden Schenn is coming into the lineup next season. Perhaps the offense will be re-energized then. (Although Penner still being around might cancel that out.)

Let's just say there's room for improvement. And they have some prospects/young players who can do that. But will they?

Not trying to be a naysayer here. Just expected more from them this season, as did a lot of people.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Kings had a fairly disappointing season, from losing Kovy onwards, but losing Kopitar capped it off.
yep, nothing says dissapointing season quite like being the 2nd youngest team in the league to start the year, making the playoffs, only losing once in regulation, while missing the franchise player

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Kings performed well for a team missing their best player, this series was definitely closer than I thought it'd be. Sure the Sharks won in 6, but 3 of their 4 wins were in OT, with different bounces the Kings actually could have taken this series.
I am actually quite sick of all of the IF the King's had better bounces or had they put it in the open net in game OT... (not directed only at ponder)

If Nemo shows up the series would have been done in 5 and game 4 is blowout win by the Sharks rather than a legendary come back. The King HAD bounces and amazing goal tending, added that to very poor goal tending from the Sharks and still got tapped out in six.

Hard fought series and credit to the King who put up a amazing fight, but in the end the Sharks outplayed them in the last 4 games and took the series. The Sharks were the better team.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
@Logancouture
Anyone got anything to say about our Captain, or the way our team battles? Don't think so...#haterscanhate #ontothenextone
Actually Logan, yes, I do have something to say on both subjects....

Re: team battling.......Yes, you guys fought hard throughout this game at numerous points in the series, and that is why you won. However, please note that if you want to win the whole Cup-and-caboodle, you're going to have to battle even harder than that the rest of the way. I'm pleased enough with the way your team battled in Game 6. That's the sort of consistent effort many of us have been begging to see for years from this team.

But mark my words, if you continue to "battle" in the fashion you did in the first periods of Games 2, 3, and 5, you WILL lose. You won a series in 6 games despite falling behind 4-0, 4-0, and 3-0. If you continue to do that against your next opponents, you will not go "ontothenextone"

Re: your Captain......Yes, thrilled to see Joe Thornton bury the puck in an empty net for a change. Good on him. Happy to see him get that one, and that is why the Sharks advance.

But if you can praise Thornton for burying a puck in an empty net, then we get to criticize him when he elects NOT to shoot when the goalie is down and out of position leaving a ton of open net.

If your Captain had opted to try to pass the puck in that situation--or worse, just skate the puck behind the net--then you'd likely have to play a Game 7 because of your Captain's boneheaded move.

It's not about "hating." It's about wanting your Captain to make GOOD decisions with the puck........when he does, we praise him.......when he doesn't, we criticize him. The unfortunate and disappointing reality is that, in the playoffs, he tends to do far more of the latter.

Great to see him get that goal......but until that goal, there were arguably 9 Sharks forwards in that series who had outplayed him. I'll let you decide how acceptable that is, and whether or not you'll be able to have any further success if that continues.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
fsanford

Quote:

Signing Poni was a bust.

Thank God Brayden Schenn is coming into the lineup next season. Perhaps the offense will be re-energized then. (Although Penner still being around might cancel that out.)

Let's just say there's room for improvement. And they have some prospects/young players who can do that. But will they?

Not trying to be a naysayer here. Just expected more from them this season, as did a lot of people.
For a guy trying not to be a naysayer you are one big naysayer. Some of your points are valid some are not valid at all

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
yep, nothing says dissapointing season quite like being the 2nd youngest team in the league to start the year, making the playoffs, only losing once in regulation, while missing the franchise player
All that is good, but i just expected more. Like a playoff round win. That's all. Excuses are excuses. Detroit swept a round while missing a player arguably better than Kopitar. But then again, i also expected more from Phoenix.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
All that is good, but i just expected more. Like a playoff round win. That's all. Excuses are excuses. Detroit swept a round while missing a player arguably better than Kopitar. But then again, i also expected more from Phoenix.
And detroit was left with a player who was still better than all of the Kings forwards... How is that even a fair comparison.

KpopandHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Jesus Toews*

Lol did someone seriously just include "losing out on Kovy" and "disappointing" in the same sentence? Lombardi should be thanking his lucky stars that Kovalchuk decided to stay in NJ.

Anyway, obviously a terrific series. Kings fans on here are the greatest and should be proud of how their team battled. Several huge positives for next season, particularly the play of Clifford--Richardson--Simmonds. Do you guys think that line stays together or does Schenn assume Richardson's role? Anyway, they should fire Murray who just could never adjust to the Sharks (finally) ditching the 1-1-2 on the PK and collapsed into turtle mode whenever the game was tied or the Kings had a lead. The Kings had the Sharks on the ropes whenever they established their aggressive forecheck. If they can play like that next postseason, they'll be a tremendously tough out. I really hope this is the last Sharks/Kings series for a decade because I know the next one will not turn out well for the Sharks.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:

Signing Poni was a bust.

You obviously did not watch a lot of games. While having Kovy would have been great, we would of have a ton of problems trying to sign our young guys. Don't want to follow Chicago's path.

Very happy about Williams' contract.

I won't be too quick to call Penner a bust.

JJ had a great first half, Drew played great the second half of the season. Drew's contract will be similar to Jack's first contract.

This team is only getting younger. So yeah, next season there will be ups and downs.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post

Re: team battling.......Yes, you guys fought hard throughout this game at numerous points in the series, and that is why you won. However, please note that if you want to win the whole Cup-and-caboodle, you're going to have to battle even harder than that the rest of the way. I'm pleased enough with the way your team battled in Game 6. That's the sort of consistent effort many of us have been begging to see for years from this team.

But mark my words, if you continue to "battle" in the fashion you did in the first periods of Games 2, 3, and 5, you WILL lose. You won a series in 6 games despite falling behind 4-0, 4-0, and 3-0. If you continue to do that against your next opponents, you will not go "ontothenextone"

Re: your Captain......Yes, thrilled to see Joe Thornton bury the puck in an empty net for a change. Good on him. Happy to see him get that one, and that is why the Sharks advance.

But if you can praise Thornton for burying a puck in an empty net, then we get to criticize him when he elects NOT to shoot when the goalie is down and out of position leaving a ton of open net.

If your Captain had opted to try to pass the puck in that situation--or worse, just skate the puck behind the net--then you'd likely have to play a Game 7 because of your Captain's boneheaded move.

It's not about "hating." It's about wanting your Captain to make GOOD decisions with the puck........when he does, we praise him.......when he doesn't, we criticize him. The unfortunate and disappointing reality is that, in the playoffs, he tends to do far more of the latter.

Great to see him get that goal......but until that goal, there were arguably 9 Sharks forwards in that series who had outplayed him. I'll let you decide how acceptable that is, and whether or not you'll be able to have any further success if that continues.
you may have to put that into several tweets... also kings are a big tough team not easy to play against... and losing Kopitar just assured that they would play a grind it out style... the kings style and just will made this a tought series...

also Smyth somewhat made up for kopitars not being there... I know he isnt kopitar but i thought he was great this series...

and doughty needs to mature he tries to do too much sometimes... like boyle...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
you may have to put that into several tweets...
Yes, well, thatís one of many reasons that I donít tweet. I just canít express and explain my thoughts and opinions properly using only 140 c........

crap.

See?

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
SFSharkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post

critical much? Sure the Sharks had a their fair share of bad starts but the only thing that matters in the end is that they battled back and overcame that adversity. And regarding thornton he had two GWG's in the series. For a pass first veteran(read: not likely to change his game)type of player like thornton that's good enough, and ultimately he ended it himself.It is definitely a start imo. So relax man, be proud. They haven't let us down yet, so stop holding your breath waiting for them to fail. Enjoy this playoff hockey, **** is awesome.

SFSharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
critical much? Sure the Sharks had a their fair share of bad starts but the only thing that matters in the end is that they battled back and overcame that adversity. And regarding thornton he had two GWG's in the series. For a pass first veteran(read: not likely to change his game)type of player like thornton that's good enough, and ultimately he ended it himself.It is definitely a start imo. So relax man, be proud. They haven't let us down yet, so stop holding your breath waiting for them to fail. Enjoy this playoff hockey, **** is awesome.
He has every right to be critical because his points are valid. Besides that, I enjoy the team looking at the criticisms and using it as motivation and using it as a tool to improve themselves. It's hard for teams to stick together when adversity in the playoffs gets ramped up so every bit that helps them like developing an us v. world mentality is a good thing.

I'm glad they won. If they can keep on having the start they had in game six in the next round and beyond, their chances for success increase dramatically. They can't spot any of the other top four teams in the west three goals and expect to come back. I'm certain they can do it because matchups will change and how they play will change.

That poster is most definitely not waiting for them to fail. He's invested into the team's success like everyone else that frequents our side of the boards. Some people just prefer to voice their opinions in different manners and as long as he doesn't go over the top, which he doesn't imo, it's fine even when you're winning. You can't just praise everything because the wins were there. You have to look to get better and criticism in a constructive manner will help in that regard.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:20 PM
kingsfan77

Good Series Shark

Good fans as well.

I'll be rooting for you guys. Good Luck.

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote