HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
I would like the Kings to give J. Jokinen, Tanguay or Samsonov a look to add some skill to the 3rd line ala Frolov used to and another skilled guy on the power play. We lost Frolov and gained only a massive body in Poni with stone hands.

Penner-Kopi-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Tanguay/Jokinen/Samsonov-Richardson-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Parse/Westgarth

Old
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos

Only 5 months before next season starts. We've got to toughen up.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.
I agree also it looked like a kid playing with adults when he went against JT, his heart won some of those battles but he just couldn't handle either big or little joe when it counted. Funny how we could see this but the bench didn't matching them up last night was brutal at times........I think lewis between clifford and brown would be a hard hitting ,fast and dangerous line lets hope one of the kids comes up big and gets that rw on the second line, always thought brown would be a 3rd line rw on our stanley cup team

Old
04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
verbalkint47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.
I don't think you'll get attacked, you're 100% right.

As for FA's this year, Richards is the only one who is really an upgrade. But I'm expecting him to be in Dallas, NY or Toronto. I'd roll out these lines next year:

Penner - Kopitar - Simmonds
Smyth - Schenn - Williams
Clifford - Lewis - Brown
Richardson - Stoll - Westgarth/Parse

Mitchell - Doughty
Scuderi - Johnson
A-Mart - Greene
Drewiske

Quick
Bernier

Old
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Here we go fellas, my personal opinion:

1) Trevor Lewis gets Stoll's spot at center and we trade Stoll and Moller to Ottawa for picks or prospects. Sens will want to replace Fisher and Stoll is a good fit.

2) Schenn will center Clifford and Simmonds. It's the 2nd/3rd line of DESTINY.

3) Guess who else is gone on draft day??? Voynov. I can see DL packaging his 2nd rounder and Voynov for a 1st round pick on a guy they REALLY really want.

4) Hickey is at least another year or two away from the NHL. Muzzin is ahead of him and expect Deslaurier to push Hickey down on the depth chart. Alec Martinez has earned his 5th/6th spot on the Kings. His speed and his good play make him a keeper.

5) Bernier will get more starts in 2011-2012 in hopes for moving him for another vet back up but more importantly an offensive top 6 player.

6) Penner will still suck.

Here we go:

Loktionov/Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth/Parse - Lewis - Brown
Clifford - Schenn - Simmonds
Westgarth/Holloway - Richardson - Cliche or Richardson - Cliche - Holloway/Westgarth

Those LW spots are up for grabs IMO.

Defense remains unchanged along with the goaltending tandem.

Stoll, Moller, Voynov have all been traded for assets and picks.
Poni and Zeus are waved goodbye.

Kings get younger, faster and cheaper.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I can definitely see Lombardi trading into the first round if he REALLY likes someone

Old
04-26-2011, 02:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

It will be interesting to see where Schenn fits in next season and who he fits in with.

Lewis clearly proved that he can handle more than 3/4 center responsibilities but isn't quite ready for second line duties. I agree that he is a better option than Ritchie at center and would rather see a Clifford/Lewis/Simmonds line out there than see richie centering that same line.

Schenn is a faster/better skater than Lewis and also has more O skill but is going to take a season imo at the NHL to catch up to his (TL) level of play.

Our top 6 will be significantly better next year even if the only additions we make are within our own system (adds/subracts).

That said I put a ton of stock into what Piston has to say and completely agree with him in regards to moving Smyth in order to free up a roster spot for a speed sniper.

Rather or not we need a come to jesus bonifide superstar is something that I have been chewing on and still uncertain but the fact that we need a sniper who is either fast enough or slick enough that he forces our opponents to back up and give us some room when entering the zone and loosen them up at the blue line in our defencive zone is clearly certain.

We have a couple of kids coming up who show the potential of becoming the sort of player(s) that would suit our needs in different ways but none of them look to be star caliber though again, I am uncertain if we need one.

Kitsyn has great hands and could within a year or so step up and make the team but I see his maximum upside being that of a second line grinding hard to play against pseudo powerforward type.

Toffoli has the hands of wizard and in time can become the kind of sniper who backs teams off but his skating while vastly improved doesn't look to be developing into what I would call fast enough to where he would be able to provide the kind of speed and agility that we are talking about.

Vey is more a couple of years away and has excellent hands to go along with a solid two way game. He knows what to do with the puck and no doubt will be a top six player in the NHL imo but he is more of what we already have then what we are talking about as well.

Kozun in my opinion is the closest that we have in our system to what we need and are talking about as of now. He can skate and while still developing has a some pretty impressive moves. He has very good hands and is really good at one timers which is a tuff skill to develop.

He is also 5'9" 184 and while that is right about average height for the real world it makes him a smallish player in the NHL. The other thing that Kozun has to work on is his tendency to play angry. He likes physical play and will at times leave his assignment or forgo a scoring chance in order to stick a check.

His speed and skill though can and hopefully will be an asset next season but I wouldn't say that he is as of today the player we are talking about either.

So do we need a true top of the line sniper still or can we get what we are after by providing better skill and balance? It is a tuff question. Adding a player like Parise would certainly complete us up front depending on the price and if you can add a guy like him you do but again, it would depend on the price to me.

Last edited by etherialone: 04-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I keep seeing rosters selected of players who are only already in the organization. Assuming this team will do nothing to improve through trade or FA this offseason. I am 100% certain this will not be the case, and that if the team took that course of action, I think they'll get bounced in the first round again. There are flaws in the roster that need to be addressed.

First, either Smyth will be traded or bought out. Not because we want it that way but because it's necessary. Someone will be brought in to fill his spot. Second, we have a freaking pile of NHL ready defensemen and nowhere to put them on our roster. At least one of our defensemen either with Manchester or the big club is gone. Again, not because we want it that way, but because it's necessary. Stoll's another one that isn't good enough for his salary role. Send him somewhere else for the cap space.

What we need to find to place in Smyth's open spot is a player with some experience, good speed, and can put up points in a secondary scoring role. Lots of people complain about our goalscoring, a large part of that is because we have absolutely no forwards outside of Kopitar and Williams who can make things happen in a direct way with the puck on their stick. We have a total lack of playmaking ability. Alex Tanguay seems to be right up our alley. He's played in the West for nearly his whole career so luring him shouldn't be a problem.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

But if we do make a few moves (which I agree is the most likely scenario) I doubt that we will need to look at any UFA's to fill the hole(s) that we are talking about filling.

We have everything we need in our system right now with the exception of an upgrade on Smyth and it can be argued that we have that covered too but that they may not be ready to give us what we need just yet.

If/when we deal away a Dman or even possibly two and Smyth (providing) we will be looking to fill our hole at LW up front with a player of significant talent and possibly another high end prospect. (by the way I am not saying that Smyth + a rostered D + Voynov etc equals star sniper)

We will have a significantly better roster next year without having to go outside our own org next season and I like that we are seeing so many people posting line ups that reflect our org depth. Will we stand pat? I don't see that happening at all but it is nice to see that even if we did that were going to be considered a legit contender going into the season.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I keep seeing rosters selected of players who are only already in the organization. Assuming this team will do nothing to improve through trade or FA this offseason. I am 100% certain this will not be the case, and that if the team took that course of action, I think they'll get bounced in the first round again. There are flaws in the roster that need to be addressed.

First, either Smyth will be traded or bought out. Not because we want it that way but because it's necessary. Someone will be brought in to fill his spot. Second, we have a freaking pile of NHL ready defensemen and nowhere to put them on our roster. At least one of our defensemen either with Manchester or the big club is gone. Again, not because we want it that way, but because it's necessary. Stoll's another one that isn't good enough for his salary role. Send him somewhere else for the cap space.

What we need to find to place in Smyth's open spot is a player with some experience, good speed, and can put up points in a secondary scoring role. Lots of people complain about our goalscoring, a large part of that is because we have absolutely no forwards outside of Kopitar and Williams who can make things happen in a direct way with the puck on their stick. We have a total lack of playmaking ability. Alex Tanguay seems to be right up our alley. He's played in the West for nearly his whole career so luring him shouldn't be a problem.
Smyth was one of our best forwards this season. If any pricey forward gets moved/bought out, it should be Penner.

Tanguay is just another mediocre 20 goal scorer. We already have plenty of them.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

No one will want Smyth, that contract is horrendous. If he leaves us, it's on a buyout. I don't think he goes though. Stoll, Penner and Smyth's contracts are all up at the same time, we're going to have lots of cash to spend

Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
No one will want Smyth, that contract is horrendous. If he leaves us, it's on a buyout. I don't think he goes though. Stoll, Penner and Smyth's contracts are all up at the same time, we're going to have lots of cash to spend
Don't be so sure of yourself. Smyth is still good for 50+ points. Edmonton has PLENTY of cap space. Who wouldn't want someone like Smyth to mentor young guys like Hall and Paajarvi for a year?

Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Smyth was one of our best forwards this season. If any pricey forward gets moved/bought out, it should be Penner.
Judging by how Smyth played down the stretch of the regular season there wouldn't be anything wrong with getting rid of both of them. At some point that wall he hit will also extend into the playoffs. That cap hit is an albatross on the team's neck, the second Smyth's is gone it becomes a lot easier to maneuver and improve.

There's nothing mediocre about 69 points in 79 games. And I don't think he'd want or get more than 2.5 million. If he had interest in coming here it would be a no-brainer. Like I said, it's not just goalscoring that's our problem, we have a lack of players who can put pucks into positions for other guys to score as well.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

We need someone like Brad Richards and in order to get him, we'll have to move someone like Ryan Smyth and/or Jarrett Stoll.

But the signs point to us signing someone like Ben Eager lol. Left winger, ex-flyer, has a ring. TM coaches him, Lombardi knows him

Old
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
johnjm22

Tanguay racked up assists in his contract year playing with Iginla, and getting 1st unit PP time. The fact remains that he is just an aging, mediocre, 20 goal scorer. The season prior he had 10 goals in 80 games.

We don't need more 2nd line talent. We need legit 1st line talent. Let's have some standards for a change. Everyone was thrillled when we acquired a mediocre scorer in Penner, and look how that turned out.

If we're not getting Parise, Nash, Bobby Ryan ect. Than we might as well just go with kids from Manchester.

And after seeing the return EJ got, DL should be checking JJ's value on the market right now.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Johnny Utah

Why sign Eager? Westgarth outplayed him and made him look like a ***** by backing down numerous times in the playoffs. Eager hasn't been good since Chicago and even then he was a spot picker.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Only 5 months before next season starts. We've got to toughen up.

Aw man, all I could think of when I saw that in this context was Drew "Leonard" Doughty.

Hope the kid shows up to training camp in great shape.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:11 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Imagine Eager on a 4th line with Kevin Westgarth lmao

Old
04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Tanguay racked up assists in his contract year playing with Iginla, and getting 1st unit PP time. The fact remains that he is just an aging, mediocre, 20 goal scorer. The season prior he had 10 goals in 80 games.

We don't need more 2nd line talent. We need legit 1st line talent. Let's have some standards for a change. Everyone was thrillled when we acquired a mediocre scorer in Penner, and look how that turned out.

If we're not getting Parise, Nash, Bobby Ryan ect. Than we might as well just go with kids from Manchester.

And after seeing the return EJ got, DL should be checking JJ's value on the market right now.
I totally agree with the first part; the last thing we need are borderline, washed up 2nd line talent like Jokinen. If those are the only available guys, and Parise/Richards aren't options, we have young guys who should fill those spots for a much lower price tag. But trading JJ is a ridiculous idea. He just signed a 7 year extension; no ufa or even our own rfa's will sign long term here, ever. I'm not even the biggest JJ fan but that would be the worst move DL could make.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

That's great, but the fact is Penner, Williams, Brown or Smyth will be flanking Kopitar next year.

I don't see the Kings making a move for a "star" goal scorer until the following year when Smyth and Penner's contracts are up.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Does anyone think we'll give up Bernier in a big trade? I think it's a terrible idea but considering how many times TM has said that Quick is our number one guy, it may be possible.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Aw man, all I could think of when I saw that in this context was Drew "Leonard" Doughty.

Hope the kid shows up to training camp in great shape.
At least he is exercising his chirping muscles

Old
04-26-2011, 04:18 PM
SuperAlmeida

Who are you hoping we select with the 2nd round pick in the draft? I hope DL trades up, and then we pick Ryan Sproul. I know that we already have many D prospects, but I think Sproul is going to be a really good player. His offensive talent is huge!

Is there any Lombardi-type of player in this years draft class (2nd round or later)?

Old
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
funky

1. fire coaching staff - horrid imagination, and overall can not adjust within game play

2. sign Drew in a hurry - establishes cap for team, and get Simmer locked up

3. Trade 1 = Smyth, Greene, Voinov and Stoll for Hemsky, Cogs and our 1st back
- Saves us cap space, gains speed and skill

4. Trade 2 = Bernier and Moller for Carter
- Carter is being played outta position . Big, skilled, fast center that makes others around him better. Bernier is a potential franchise goalie that would split time or take over from Bobrovsky who wore down the stretch. Moller adds to slim prospect depth and gives them another winger.

5. sign a mature backup like Boucher to play 20 games

6. Let Schenn and Toffolli get time in the minors. Both need work on certain areas and let thier play dictate their call up. Schenn provides a bigger body for the 3rd line when ready.

Roster

Kopitar - Williams - Penner ---> skill and size
Carter - Brown - Hemsky ----> speed, skill, and a hitting machine
Cogs - Simmer - Cliffy - (ouch) ---> when Schenn is ready, a torpedo line w skill
Lewis - Westgarth - Ritchie ----> limited mins, special teams, energy and protection

DD - Mitch ----> no change
JJ - Scuds -----> no change
AM - Muzzin -----> more skill, better break out, still have size, more scoring

Quick -----> Vezina ready
Boucher - only 1 free agent for D.L to stress over

PP #1 = Kopitar Williams Penner Doughty Johnson ----Use point shots, size, skill
pp#2 = Carter Hemsky Brown Muzzin Martinez ---> use speed and skill

Two very different looks

Old
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
1. fire coaching staff - horrid imagination, and overall can not adjust within game play

2. sign Drew in a hurry - establishes cap for team, and get Simmer locked up

3. Trade 1 = Smyth, Greene, Voinov and Stoll for Hemsky, Cogs and our 1st back
- Saves us cap space, gains speed and skill

4. Trade 2 = Bernier and Moller for Carter
- Carter is being played outta position . Big, skilled, fast center that makes others around him better. Bernier is a potential franchise goalie that would split time or take over from Bobrovsky who wore down the stretch. Moller adds to slim prospect depth and gives them another winger.

5. sign a mature backup like Boucher to play 20 games

6. Let Schenn and Toffolli get time in the minors. Both need work on certain areas and let thier play dictate their call up. Schenn provides a bigger body for the 3rd line when ready.

Roster

Kopitar - Williams - Penner ---> skill and size
Carter - Brown - Hemsky ----> speed, skill, and a hitting machine
Cogs - Simmer - Cliffy - (ouch) ---> when Schenn is ready, a torpedo line w skill
Lewis - Westgarth - Ritchie ----> limited mins, special teams, energy and protection

DD - Mitch ----> no change
JJ - Scuds -----> no change
AM - Muzzin -----> more skill, better break out, still have size, more scoring

Quick -----> Vezina ready
Boucher - only 1 free agent for D.L to stress over

PP #1 = Kopitar Williams Penner Doughty Johnson ----Use point shots, size, skill
pp#2 = Carter Hemsky Brown Muzzin Martinez ---> use speed and skill

Two very different looks
You mean:

Hemsky - Carter - Brown

Clifford - Cogliano - Simmonds

Closed Thread