HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What needs to be done this offseason?

Old
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Cole only plays well in Carolina, and he really likes it there. They'll re-sign him.
He's a RWer too, so I'm not sure he slots in well into the lineup. That being said, I'd love if we at least make a run at him. He's an upstate guy and although I know he loves Carolina, he'll always have that as a fall back option. I mean, if we can shed money is the only way we're even sniffing a decent offer for him.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
How about signing Teemu Selannen. Offer him some crazy one year deal (4-5 mils). 30 goals right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He'll be 41
Lol..after reading that, I wonder why I even posted what I did yesterday.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 04-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Im not one for shooting down an idea without actually giving it a change but if Richards was to come here I don't think Wolski is a good fit on the left wall. If that was to happen you might as well call it the pillow line because it could be that soft!

Sticking by what I mentioned in earlier posts. That left wall I think needs to be a physical guy that can win the battles. A pain in the ass to play against. A guy that creats commotion on his own and draws attention away from Gaborik. Richards is the play maker here obviously, but for it to work I think the team needs that Benn, or Neal type of player. Again, a Ryan Clowe or a Hartnell. I know maybe I am beating a dead horse with this but I think that is what is missing from that top line.

Someone here mentioned Bieksa. I love the idea. I think Burke is going to go hard after the guy though.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
He's a RWer too, so I'm not sure he slots in well into the lineup. That being said, I'd love if we at least make a run at him. He's an upstate guy and although I know he loves Carolina, he'll always have that as a fall back option. I mean, if we can shed money is the only way we're even sniffing a decent offer for him.
He can play both.

I just thought I'd hear other's opinion on him. Love his game.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Im not one for shooting down an idea without actually giving it a change but if Richards was to come here I don't think Wolski is a good fit on the left wall. If that was to happen you might as well call it the pillow line because it could be that soft!

Sticking by what I mentioned in earlier posts. That left wall I think needs to be a physical guy that can win the battles. A pain in the ass to play against. A guy that creats commotion on his own and draws attention away from Gaborik. Richards is the play maker here obviously, but for it to work I think the team needs that Benn, or Neal type of player. Again, a Ryan Clowe or a Hartnell. I know maybe I am beating a dead horse with this but I think that is what is missing from that top line.

Someone here mentioned Bieksa. I love the idea. I think Burke is going to go hard after the guy though.
How about #17, name ends in "ubinsky" to play with Richards and Gaborik?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Luca

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Lol..after reading that, I wonder why I even posted what I did yesterday.
You Don't like Selanne? He is so much better than Rick Nash that it is almost ridiculous.

Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Vitto79

When is the Buy out period over?

Intersted to see what actually happens to Drury and Wolski

hoping Drury gone and WW stays

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

My gut is really telling me that Richards is going to stay in Dallas. What other #1 centers are out there? Roy, Statsny, Spezza? I rather not waste assets for players like these. I think some of us are going to be disappointed when he doesnt sign here. After that I believe Sather will panic and sign Laich and Connolly.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
The appealing factor about Richards when it comes to money is that he has said (i don't remember where but it was in an interview), that he does not want to sign a contract that is going to handcuff a team from making a move. That is the most appealing aspect about him that I have and I hope its true. Then again what is said in the media and what actually happens are two different things.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
NaturalIce

I was thinking about this, this morning and I wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

What about shipping Gabby and someone like MDZ to phoenix for Shane Doan and a guy like OEL? They ultimately get a guy that can be a PPG player, and the cap hit isnt terrible for them with Jovo coming off the books, and it saves us like 3 mil in cap space. Doan brings more consistancy than Gabby, and better work ethic but not as much top end skill. Obviously OEL is a better prospect than MDZ so maybe we add just a little more incentive? A Dubinsky-Richards-Doan top line would be pretty good next year I would think. What're everyones thoughts?

NaturalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
How about #17, name ends in "ubinsky" to play with Richards and Gaborik?

I'm sure they will give it shot at some point. But...I like him alot with Cally and Anisimov. I think I will like them even more with another year of experience together.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
My gut is really telling me that Richards is going to stay in Dallas. What other #1 centers are out there? Roy, Statsny, Spezza? I rather not waste assets for players like these. I think some of us are going to be disappointed when he doesnt sign here. After that I believe Sather will panic and sign Laich and Connolly.
How exactly would acquiring Spezza or Stastny be a "waste" of assets?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Idk my gut says he signs with us. It's either us or Dallas IMO

Forgot about Selanne. Dude had 80 points this year and he's 41. A 1 year deal would be perfect

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
You Don't like Selanne? He is so much better than Rick Nash that it is almost ridiculous.
Has nothing to do with not liking him. As another poster said, he is 41 years old. I don't care if it's for one year or not. He will come here, lose his scoring touch, score 15 goals, and be run out of the Garden. Write it down.

And I'm sorry, if we could trade for Rick Nash, sign Richards and put them on a line with Gaborik, I'd do it in heart beat.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
I was thinking about this, this morning and I wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

What about shipping Gabby and someone like MDZ to phoenix for Shane Doan and a guy like OEL? They ultimately get a guy that can be a PPG player, and the cap hit isnt terrible for them with Jovo coming off the books, and it saves us like 3 mil in cap space. Doan brings more consistancy than Gabby, and better work ethic but not as much top end skill. Obviously OEL is a better prospect than MDZ so maybe we add just a little more incentive? A Dubinsky-Richards-Doan top line would be pretty good next year I would think. What're everyones thoughts?
Doan will be 35 next season and has a combined 38 goals the last 2 years. Pass.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
How exactly would acquiring Spezza or Stastny be a "waste" of assets?
Im not that high on Spezza and it would take a lot to get either one of them here. You really want to be giving up our good prospects for a guy who isnt elite.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
free0717

Brad Richards too beaten up over the years. Pass
Stastny makes too much money. Pass

Stay the course, Draft and Develop our own Centers, Offensive Dmen, etc. Free Agency has bitten us in the ass every year.

Stay away.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Lone Ranger

For me, it's Richards or bust. He's the only free agent who would significantly upgrade our first line.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

Stay the course, Draft and Develop our own Centers, Offensive Dmen, etc. Free Agency has bitten us in the ass every year.

Stay away.
And soon, we will draft enough 2nd and 3rd liners to eventually win the cup! Mwahahaha.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

Stay away.
I get this but who exactly do we draft and/or develop that will have the kind of high-impact needed to get this team to Cup contention within 2-3 years?

I think we've made good strides on the "home-grown" front to a degree, but where in the system is a guy on the level of a Brad Richards?

BR has some inherent risk, and I sure as hell am not thrilled with sather's track record, but I really think it's time to make a move within the next 2-3 years if not sooner.

04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Rangers will never be in a position to draft an elite player unless they fall because of 1 reason or another (injury concerns, headcase, etc) or they get a lucky late bloomer. not with Henrik, Staal, Dubi, etc.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

there is like a 2% chance he signs with Dallas. He's not going back there unless they get their ownership issues figured out and that is not looking likely by July 1st. He's reportedly said no to Toronto and yes to the idea of rejoining Torts. LA is the only other team supposedly in the mix and they already have Kopitar. I find it hard to believe that Tampa has cap space for him but if they find cheap replacements for the upcoming roster holes, amazingly, they could fit him in, but they will severely hurt their cap flexibility. It all depends on how much Stamkos gets. I don't imagine their other RFAs breaking the bank. They have lots of cap coming off the books. I don't think it's going to be the bidding war some posters are making it out to be. blah blah blah. we'll just have to wait and see.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
allstar3970

The thing is, completely banking on prospects, especially non-elite prospects is a risk in it's own way as well. If they don't pan out you're still left with nothing.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
DutchShamrock

Guys want people like Nash and Doan and others hate the idea of Richards... that is the definition of insanity. Perennial underachievers with nothing on their resume in the way of winning versus proven winners that actually outperform the surprisingly harsh standards applied to only them. Richards has a bad rep simply because of a bad contract.

You couldn't ask for a player that better addresses the most pressing needs for this team: #1 center and a powerplay quaterback. We don't even know the price but it's rejected out of hand.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
RangerBlues

How about a gameplan on how to improve the skill level of the 18 or so players who are coming back next season.
Thats a better idea than pretending other teams players are a magic potion to the Cup.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote