HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes from Breakup Day

Old
04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Pugs35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Way to ignore the rest of his post as well. He listed our 3 centers as Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle. He made the proclamation that we had no other centers in the organization, which is ridiculous.

And if you actually bothered to read MY post, you would have noticed that I said some of the guys I listed I wouldn't want as center, but they're all centers none the less.
I can honestly say that with the possible exception of Prospal, I would cringe to see any of those listed players lining up at center in September. That's the point, not whether or not they're technically centers.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
eco's bones

I think Boyle is at least going to get $1.5 mil per--maybe more if he'll sign for 3-4 years--giving us some UFA years. Critiquing him that he was Hartford bound before the season began or that his numbers faded in the second half is true but neglects positives such as leading the team in hits, in shots on goal. I think Boyle has become a Tortorella favorite. I think he sees him as fitting the Rangers 3rd line center role and I think if there is any proof necessary--it's the playoff round where Boyle did not score any points but led the team in shots again, was one of the leaders in hits and as far as ice time he was third among forwards behind Dubinsky and Gaborik.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Boyle made some tremendous strides, but I wouldn't be too happy to see him get overpayed... I'm not totally sold on him yet.

Hopefully both parties can work out a reasonable contract.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Boyle made some tremendous strides, but I wouldn't be too happy to see him get overpayed... I'm not totally sold on him yet.

I agree.

I would also like to see him move to wing. I think he would be a good fit. He lacks the playmaking ability that I would like to see in a center, but is actually quite good when he decides to take it to the net and shoot it. He makes alot of suttle little moves to get himself in a better shooting position, and can use brute force when needed.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Pizza

Are their any other video interviews from break up day out there: Dubi, Cally, Aves, etc.?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Are their any other video interviews from break up day out there: Dubi, Cally, Aves, etc.?
MSG.com has some interviews up: http://www.msg.com/our-teams/rangers

Old
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Two years 1.5 per.

I personally think he should get even less than that, but being very good on the PK and a great locker room guy can make me see why he should get at least that, but any more is bad.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Zil

Quote:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said we had amazing center depth, I was simply countering the false statement that we had no other centers in our entire organization.

One of those guys could fill the 3rd or 4th line center role just fine, if we chose to trade ONE of Boyle or Anisimov. Heck, even Newbury didn't look out of place on the 4th line. If we could land a decent package of picks/prospects for Boyle and give ourselves a chance at some of the high-end talent that we need in the draft, I say pull the trigger. Newbury could fill his position on the 4th line, and we would benefit by selling Boyle while his value is high.
Do you see the word "amazing" anywhere in my post? None of the guys you listed should be playing center on the Rangers next year. They're all either prospects who aren't even really center prospects, guys who are done, guys who shouldn't be anywhere near our roster, or guys who aren't centers. That's not center depth. Besides that, Anisimov just plain shouldn't be traded unless someone decides to flat-out overpay for him.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Two years 1.5 per.

I personally think he should get even less than that, but being very good on the PK and a great locker room guy can make me see why he should get at least that, but any more is bad.
Sounds about right.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I think it was RangerBoy a while back that said there's really no comparable for Boyle contract wise. Closest guy he said was a Moulson type who put up 30 goals and 48 points out of nowhere similar to how Boyle came out of nowhere this year and put up 21 goals and 35 points. Moulson wound up getting a one year deal at 2.45 last off season so I could see Boyle getting a one year deal at around 2 to prove that the past year wasn't a fluke.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Way to ignore the rest of his post as well. He listed our 3 centers as Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle. He made the proclamation that we had no other centers in the organization, which is ridiculous.

And if you actually bothered to read MY post, you would have noticed that I said some of the guys I listed I wouldn't want as center, but they're all centers none the less.

What exactly do you expect in return for Anisimov?

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Pizza

Quote:
MSG.com has some interviews up: http://www.msg.com/our-teams/rangers
Thanks Loffen.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I think it was RangerBoy a while back that said there's really no comparable for Boyle contract wise. Closest guy he said was a Moulson type who put up 30 goals and 48 points out of nowhere similar to how Boyle came out of nowhere this year and put up 21 goals and 35 points. Moulson wound up getting a one year deal at 2.45 last off season so I could see Boyle getting a one year deal at around 2 to prove that the past year wasn't a fluke.
Different situations, though. Moulson was on the Isles, a team that's not starved for cap space, and he put up a decent chunk more points.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Different situations, though. Moulson was on the Isles, a team that's not starved for cap space, and he put up a decent chunk more points.
Basically the same concept. There's really no comparable though as that's the closest one you're gonna get.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
What exactly do you expect in return for Anisimov?
I don't know what his value would be around the league. I'm simply saying that we should explore the possibility. It's painfully obvious that this team lacks high-end talent. We're not going to directly get high-end talent for Anisimov, that's obvious. But, if we were able to get an attractive package of picks and/or high-upside prospects, we may be able to fill an organizational need.

I don't know why people crap their pants every time a trade is brought up. I'm not proposing to trade him for peanuts. I would only make a trade if the return is nice. Anisimov is pretty much a known quantity. When he fully develops, he's pretty much guaranteed to be a very solid 2nd line center. He's young and cheap. I would imagine a bunch of teams would be willing to part with picks and prospects that, while they may have the potential to become and elite player, are no guarantee.

I personally feel that we are at a point in this youth movement where we have a glut of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th liners, but not many prospects with elite level projections. I'm simply suggesting that we deal from a position of organizational strength to address an organizational weakness. If we can get a couple more shots via the draft at some serious high-upside, boom-or-bust prospects, one of them is bound to become the top line talent we need.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I don't know what his value would be around the league. I'm simply saying that we should explore the possibility. It's painfully obvious that this team lacks high-end talent. We're not going to directly get high-end talent for Anisimov, that's obvious. But, if we were able to get an attractive package of picks and/or high-upside prospects, we may be able to fill an organizational need.

I don't know why people crap their pants every time a trade is brought up. I'm not proposing to trade him for peanuts. I would only make a trade if the return is nice. Anisimov is pretty much a known quantity. When he fully develops, he's pretty much guaranteed to be a very solid 2nd line center. He's young and cheap. I would imagine a bunch of teams would be willing to part with picks and prospects that, while they may have the potential to become and elite player, are no guarantee.

I personally feel that we are at a point in this youth movement where we have a glut of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th liners, but not many prospects with elite level projections. I'm simply suggesting that we deal from a position of organizational strength to address an organizational weakness. If we can get a couple more shots via the draft at some serious high-upside, boom-or-bust prospects, one of them is bound to become the top line talent we need.
Not trying to be an *******, but we already got one of those and with our luck, he died. What are the chances we will get a high-end prospect with Crosvechkinamkos upside after Cherepanov?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
Not trying to be an *******, but we already got one of those and with our luck, he died. What are the chances we will get a high-end prospect with Crosvechkinamkos upside after Cherepanov?
So we stop trying to fill an organizational need and just go with safe picks? I'm not going to bash you, just suffice it to say I don't agree.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:

So trade Anisimov for a shot in the dark pick?

Or are you expecting a top five pick in return?

Either way, Anisimov is developing well, to trade for something that is a gamble in picks is just... I can't even find the words.

And if it's prospects, which ones? How high end?

Old
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Pizza

Quote:

I'm having a tough time making sense of what your saying here. There seem to be contradictions. But I'm seeing a lot of what I feel is a common view among the Rangers fan base. I'm not going to try and untangle this so I will just point a few things out.

No matter where you stand on what the Rangers should or should not do moving forward, you want to see them do something that yields a positive result.

This year taken as a whole is a huge positive. The Rangers went with youth and established an identity as one of the hardest working and hardest teams to play against in the NHL. Those are two very big steps when compared to the over paid, over the hill, under motivated Rangers teams from too many years past.

Many folks are against the Rangers trading away youngsters at this point as it seems to them that the Rangers no longer need to define what insanity is in the NHL.

Trading Anisimov at this point to many of us would seem to continue that insanity.

The Rangers need skill. Anisimov has plenty of that. It's just that when you are young and trying to round out your game, it's a challenge to put it all together on a consistent basis. You could say that for the majority of the players on the roster. Speaking for myself, when Ani, Steps, Dubi, Cally, Staal, Sauer, Girardi, McD, MDZ and even Hank are given the chance to mature...together, we will see a much higher and more consistent skill level in games.

It takes time. It takes patience. The most gratifying thing I think I can take away from this year is that I think the Rangers organization seems to be saying on some level:

"We're going to build this team on youth and selected additions, but we will not compromise youth. If the fans don't like it, they can pound sand".

It's taken my entire life but, they are finally getting it.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
So trade Anisimov for a shot in the dark pick?

Or are you expecting a top five pick in return?

Either way, Anisimov is developing well, to trade for something that is a gamble in picks is just... I can't even find the words.

And if it's prospects, which ones? How high end?
I like Anisimov, but a team full of players of his caliber isn't going to win us anything. I hope someday you can understand that.

The reason we lost to Washington is not because we weren't trying, or we were thrown off our game, or even because Callahan was injured. It was because of the simple fact that we don't have anywhere near the talent level of their team, or any of the good teams in the league for that matter. Take away Lundqvist and every single game in the Washington series would have been a blowout. That's how badly we were outclassed.

So yes, I would trade Anisimov away for the right package of picks or prospects. We're never going to draft in the top 5, so we need to make high-risk picks if we want elite players.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Basically the same concept. There's really no comparable though as that's the closest one you're gonna get.
Think the Rangers see Boyle as a 3rd line center--not a 1st line wing like Moulson is for the relatively weak Isles.

I also think the Rangers are interested in some kind of multi-year deal with Boyle as he's going to be a UFA after next year. Rangers relied on Boyle a lot this year and he got tons of ice time against the Caps. If that's an indication at all they plan on keeping him around.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
I like Anisimov, but a team full of players of his caliber isn't going to win us anything. I hope someday you can understand that.

The reason we lost to Washington is not because we weren't trying, or we were thrown off our game, or even because Callahan was injured. It was because of the simple fact that we don't have anywhere near the talent level of their team, or any of the good teams in the league for that matter. Take away Lundqvist and every single game in the Washington series would have been a blowout. That's how badly we were outclassed.

So yes, I would trade Anisimov away for the right package of picks or prospects. We're never going to draft in the top 5, so we need to make high-risk picks if we want elite players.
Well, Lundqvist was there, and he is staying here, so that point is just ridiculous.

I will ask again. What prospects? Unless the prospects are players at the level of John Tavares, there is no point in trading the guy, and we aren't getting that return for him.

Also, Anisimov is not netting us a top five pick, that's what I am getting at.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Torts also said future roles for veterans Prospal and Fedotenko needs to be discussed.
The Fedotenko part scares me.

Bringing him back is a no brainer...but then again why break the post lockout tradition of giving away one of our best playoffs performers at years end??

STOOPID not to bring that guy back. He's half the reason we don't need to worry about diggers. Keep it that way.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:02 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Nice, thank you for taking my statement so literally. By listing all these has-beens, never-beens and unproven prospects you just proved my point re. lack of center depth in the organization.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Well, Lundqvist was there, and he is staying here, so that point is just ridiculous.

I will ask again. What prospects? Unless the prospects are players at the level of John Tavares, there is no point in trading the guy, and we aren't getting that return for him.

Also, Anisimov is not netting us a top five pick, that's what I am getting at.

It's obvious that you just don't get it. Either that, or you're just so intent on twisting my words that you don't care. Any further discussion is pointless. It's just my opinion, so I really could care less about what a troll thinks.