HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anybody still want Turris?

Old
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Flyhigh and myself(well it seemed that anyway) we basically the only ones who seemed to have this kids backing a year and more ago when he was at UNH and earlier in his pro career.
everyone wanted to ride this guy out of town on the bustline and say we should of drafted Turris or Voracek.
Hey, I was never down on JVR either. Got to watch him firsthand when he played BU, but even then I knew it would take him time to adjust to pro speed and adapt his physical game after playing his home games on Lake Whittemore. I'm glad the Flyers were patient and have enough depth to surround him with skilled players as he came along.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
hXc Chris

If JVR scores the SCF winning goal against Chicago then i'll change my mind and take JVR over Kane. As a person I like JVR a lot more, Kane is a douchenozzle, but as a player Kane is where its at, at this point in their careers.

Turris...lol no

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

No but I prefer Kane. Even though he's as big a tool as Carter.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Turris is soft as hell.
WHAT!!!!

I still stand by my rankings

1.Kane
2. JVR
3. Turris

Turris will be a very good player in this league once he fills out. Soft? You must be watching the wrong guy. He was one of the bright spots against Detroit. Kid has grit. Skates, checks and what a shot!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
To be completely honest I wanted them to pick JvR over Kane before the lottery.
I still think over the long haul, fans are going to be glad we lost that lotto pick. JVR barely gets any PP time. When he does, his numbers will shoot up. Still has an upside in every aspect of his game except maybe his skating, but even with that, he'll be able to use that tool better with more experience.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I still think over the long haul, fans are going to be glad we lost that lotto pick. JVR barely gets any PP time. When he does, his numbers will shoot up. Still has an upside in every aspect of his game except maybe his skating, but even with that, he'll be able to use that tool better with more experience.
that is a risky prediction..

if we win that lotto pick, he never scores the GWG agaisnt us in OT.

(of course the same can be said about the flyers even being in that position, but with kane, the chances are even better we play for and win the cup)

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
phlocky

Honestly, I'm glad we got JVR and not Kane, always have been. I was a little concerned for a little while but I wanted just to be patient with him. I know if other teams fans come here they will all laugh at me chosing JVR over Kane but JVR is developing ALL aspects of his game and he's just getting started. Kane was set for instant NHL success (or at least more so than JVR) much like Richards and Giroux from the Flyers. Players like that reach their max potential within just a few years. Players like Carter and JVR take longer to develope but usually end up better in the long run.

I love Giroux but I think JVR is going to be the better and more valuable player. Giroux makes some amazing plays but he also seems to force plays and that leads to him making many mistakes (like turnovers in his own zone or plays that lead to odd man rushes). JVR tends to make the safer play, it makes him look less "spectacular" but he makes the wiser choice right now. I like Kane but I'd still take Giroux over Kane and if I'd take JVR over Giroux, what do you think I would say over the JVR/Kane debate.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Honestly, I'm glad we got JVR and not Kane, always have been. I was a little concerned for a little while but I wanted just to be patient with him. I know if other teams fans come here they will all laugh at me chosing JVR over Kane but JVR is developing ALL aspects of his game and he's just getting started. Kane was set for instant NHL success (or at least more so than JVR) much like Richards and Giroux from the Flyers. Players like that reach their max potential within just a few years. Players like Carter and JVR take longer to develope but usually end up better in the long run.

I love Giroux but I think JVR is going to be the better and more valuable player. Giroux makes some amazing plays but he also seems to force plays and that leads to him making many mistakes (like turnovers in his own zone or plays that lead to odd man rushes). JVR tends to make the safer play, it makes him look less "spectacular" but he makes the wiser choice right now. I like Kane but I'd still take Giroux over Kane and if I'd take JVR over Giroux, what do you think I would say over the JVR/Kane debate.
i think carter peaked back in 2008-2009 to be honest with you lol

Old
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

I never did want Turris. I love the JVR we're seeing in this year's playoffs, and if this is a sign of things to come, the future looks bright!

I wanted Voracek, and I still really like him. But JVR is turning into a beast before our very eyes, so I'm quite happy with the choice.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Being on the subject of JVR, does it seem like he is turning into a serious top 2 line player? I haven't seen a single game all season (blame living in Alabama sans Versus for that), and was concerned earlier in the season.

Seeing that he scored 20 goals, do you think Holmgren has been pleased with his play? It seems he has been great in the playoffs. My concern was that Holmgren would give up on him and trade him for a 3rd rounder. I am hoping this season has prevented that.

Do you think 20 goals is a good goal for him, or do you see him possibly being a 30 goal 30 assist guy?

Considering he scored 20 goals this year and played a big portion of it with Richards on our shut-down line I'm very happy with him. I think one of the best things the Flyers did for his developement was to pair him with Richards and MAKE him learn to be VERY VERY defensively responsible. Not only is he a very skilled player, but he's actually very smart in his own zone too. We could have just turned him loose in the offensive zone where he was already the most comfortable but he might never have developed into even a half way decent 2-way forward (kind of like Briere). We did with JVR what we did with Carter, force him to be defensively responsible before we let you open up your offensive game. Carters offensive game hasn't suffered from spending a few years working on his defensive game 1st and I doubt it will adversely affect JVR's offensive production once we turn him loose too.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Eh.. thats the biggest thing I disagree with. If anything the main thing JVR needs to work on is making the smarter pass. Too many times does he try to use his size to plow past the opponents blue line, and too many times does he lose it or get it taken away. Thats my biggest concern with JVR and hope he fixes it.

And pretty much everyone knows where I stand on the Giroux vs JVR thing so lets not discuss that.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh.. thats the biggest thing I disagree with. If anything the main thing JVR needs to work on is making the smarter pass. Too many times does he try to use his side to plow past the opponents blue line, and too many times does he lose it. Thats my biggest concern with JVR and hope he fixes it.

And pretty much everyone knows where I stand on the Giroux vs JVR thing so lets not discuss that.
You will often see JVR, with a man on him, dump the puck in the corner of the offensive zone where Giroux will try and force something and end up throwing a puck in the middle that gets picked off and turns into an odd man rush.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
You will often see JVR, with a man on him, dump the puck in the corner of the offensive zone where Giroux will try and force something and end up throwing a puck in the middle that gets picked off and turns into an odd man rush.
Eh, I see it differently. In playoffs he isnt doing it as much thankfully, but during the regular season, he would try to use his body to push past a defender, and they would usually push him off or poke check it.

But we see things differently anyway. I dont see him as the teams top player in the future, when you do. No worries

Old
04-26-2011, 05:58 PM
duffy9748

I think this post season run is just a glimpse of how good JVR is going to be. If him and Giroux continue to play together for the next several years, 80 points is not out of the realm. They will be the key offensive players on this team. He will pot around 30-35 goals on average for a little while. Don't forget he is still developing. If he was on the same pace as Carter, he'd be breaking out in 12-13. It's also a positive sign he is showing physical play and that he can be a big game player. I've been a big supporter of his but it was starting to worry me that he didn't have "it".

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
that is a risky prediction..

if we win that lotto pick, he never scores the GWG agaisnt us in OT.

(of course the same can be said about the flyers even being in that position, but with kane, the chances are even better we play for and win the cup)
Kane was already making a few million last year, so you wouldn't have JVR plus someone else making a nice chunk of money. Last year was last year. Can't do anything about that now.

Old
04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Kane was already making a few million last year, so you wouldn't have JVR plus someone else making a nice chunk of money. Last year was last year. Can't do anything about that now.
true but if we are looking back in time anyway, might as well address all of the what ifs, not just one.

Old
04-26-2011, 08:10 PM

JVR was a pick so sexy i want to sleep with it and have a whole load of little baby picks.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, I see it differently. In playoffs he isnt doing it as much thankfully, but during the regular season, he would try to use his body to push past a defender, and they would usually push him off or poke check it.

But we see things differently anyway. I dont see him as the teams top player in the future, when you do. No worries

Hey, isn't it nice to have two great young players like JVR and Giroux for us to argue about which is going to be the better of the two??? And hell, it isn't like Carter and Richards are old and broken down. I mean seriously, what team WOULDN'T love to have Richards (26), Carter (26), Giroux (23), JVR (21), Versteeg (24) and Leino (27) as your top end young core forwards????

Now, lets get to work on acquiring another one or two top pairing young dmen for the future. I wish I had dirt on some GM's and could land Doughty, Hedmen, Schenn for say Carle, lol. Maybe all 3 for Carle, Coburn and Marshall.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I think this post season run is just a glimpse of how good JVR is going to be. If him and Giroux continue to play together for the next several years, 80 points is not out of the realm. They will be the key offensive players on this team. He will pot around 30-35 goals on average for a little while. Don't forget he is still developing. If he was on the same pace as Carter, he'd be breaking out in 12-13. It's also a positive sign he is showing physical play and that he can be a big game player. I've been a big supporter of his but it was starting to worry me that he didn't have "it".
I've been one of JVR's biggest supporters since his pick. I've been telling everyone to just be patient with him and they will be VERY happy with him. If he really is breaking out in the playoffs right before our eyes then he's doing it about a season and a half earlier than I thought he would.

Geez, he's showing himself to be a real man-child, still young but able to be dominant at that young age.

Old
04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
true but if we are looking back in time anyway, might as well address all of the what ifs, not just one.
We never had a chance to pick Kane anyway once the lottery ball went CHI's way. Ask me about what ifs? Ask me about trading Sharp, something the Flyers did have control over.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:16 AM
phlocky

Now here is a question for everyone. With JVR looking like he's having his "coming out party" in this years playoffs, his chemistry with Giroux, and our depth down the middle, would you guys consider trading Jeff Carter??? They is talk about it on the main board and here are a few of the interesting proposals there:

Carter for MPS + LA 1st

Carter for Foligno + Ott 1st

Carter for Kulemin + phi/bos 1st

Seeing how we just signed Carter to an 11 year deal I can't see him being traded but would YOU make any of these trades??? They all look very tempting but I don't think I would. I think that if I were to deal Carter at this point I'd be looking to get a future franchise dman in return, not more forwards.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Now here is a question for everyone. With JVR looking like he's having his "coming out party" in this years playoffs, his chemistry with Giroux, and our depth down the middle, would you guys consider trading Jeff Carter??? They is talk about it on the main board and here are a few of the interesting proposals there:

Carter for MPS + LA 1st

Seeing how we just signed Carter to an 11 year deal I can't see him being traded but would YOU make any of these trades??? They all look very tempting but I don't think I would. I think that if I were to deal Carter at this point I'd be looking to get a future franchise dman in return, not more forwards.
Then why bother? He's here to stay.

Having said that, I could definitely see Hartnell not finishing his contract in Philly if JVR breaks out and demands a huge raise.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
We never had a chance to pick Kane anyway once the lottery ball went CHI's way. Ask me about what ifs? Ask me about trading Sharp, something the Flyers did have control over.
meh, I dont think anyone could of forseen Sharp turning into the player he did. He was a role player here and was traded like he was one. you think Montreal would of traded Leclair if they new he would pot 235 goals in a 5 year stretch for us?
I dont lose any sleep over the Sharp deal. Every team has made a deal like that.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

JVR has been magical this postseason. His speed, screening, and overall hustle have been incredible.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Carter for MPS + LA 1st

Carter for MPS + LA 1st (eh, 50/50. Im a big MPS fan, so maybe thats why. I think he is going to be a very good player in the future.)

Carter for Foligno + Ott 1st (Only thing inciting is the 1st round pick. The #6 overall is a pretty nice pick. Foligno is iffy. Dont know if I'd do it.)

Carter for Kulemin + phi/bos 1st (worse deal of the bunch. Dont even consider it)

The one deal I saw from that thread is:
Quote:
Columbus should offer Voracek/Brassard + 8th overall +/- Mason
I think I'd easily do that... Mason I kinda feel bad about. I dont think I'd take him. He has looked terrible the last 2 seasons.

Last edited by sa cyred: 04-27-2011 at 12:43 PM.