HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2011 NFL Thread (Are you ready for some Footbaaaaalllalllalll!!!!!) *Part I*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
  #101
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Not denying that that was a good Giants team with a great defense, but that D carried them to the SB and it showed. Without Strahan and then Burress, that 2008 team went one and done and the 2009 and 2010 teams missed the playoffs. When you don't win a single playoff game the 2 years before or 3 years after, it's hard not to think of it as kind of a fluke, right?

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
  #102
Section 409
FANATIC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Not an abberation. That was a great team that caught fire, and at the right time.

The main reason they won hat superbowl was their front four, not Eli.

They held the Cowboys to 17, Packers to 20, and arguably the best offense ever to 14. That's why they won. They played three of the top five offenses in the game and limited all of them.

Section 409 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
  #103
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Not an abberation. That was a great team that caught fire, and at the right time.

The main reason they won hat superbowl was their front four, not Eli.

They held the Cowboys to 17, Packers to 20, and arguably the best offense ever to 14. That's why they won. They played three of the top five offenses in the game and limited all of them.
Yup. When you look at the roster of that team, it would be reasonable to expect them to contend for a SB.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
  #104
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Agreed BB, the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys could all come out of the East this year, they're all good teams. Never denied that.

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
  #105
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Exactly, a choke. Which HAS been the trend with this franchise in the second half of seasons, unfortunately.

That being said, all around I believe the Eagles and Giants are two similar teams and the Giants easily could come out of the NFC East this year.

And also put me in the bandwagon of Eli being a fine QB but not elite.

The fact is, though, we have a ring in our lifetime to be thankful for.
The Giants are a worse second half team than the Eagles are...

TheRedViper is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:10 PM
  #106
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Not an abberation. That was a great team that caught fire, and at the right time.

The main reason they won hat superbowl was their front four, not Eli.

They held the Cowboys to 17, Packers to 20, and arguably the best offense ever to 14. That's why they won. They played three of the top five offenses in the game and limited all of them.
Thank you for proving my point. They had an elite defense, and an elite WR. Manning didn't win them that Super Bowl on his own.

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
  #107
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
Awards:
OK, I'm done in here. I'm not even close to being in NFL mode.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost, followed in order by baseball and then football. Too early for me to be getting animated about football.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
  #108
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,889
vCash: 50
I'll need to see what the Giants look like offensively before passing judgement.

I'm sure we'll have a decent defensive personnel, again. But WR, RB, TE, and OL could all be problem areas this year if we don't shore them up.

I want a blocking TE in the draft. No need for Beatty out there all the time. Shore up the OL and get a westbrook type receiving back.

Then try to sign Burress. We do all that, and Steve Smith makes a comeback, and we should be good to go.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
  #109
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
OK, I'm done in here. I'm not even close to being in NFL mode.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost, followed in order by baseball and then football. Too early for me to be getting animated about football.
When the Rangers are done, I jump to football mode, even with the lockout. The life of a Mets fan

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
  #110
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
Awards:
Though I will say, I'm impressed that we just did 110 posts in 4 hours. On football. In April. With the current labor situation.

Well done!

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
  #111
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Thank you for proving my point. They had an elite defense, and an elite WR. Manning didn't win them that Super Bowl on his own.
Nobody's saying that though! I'll be the first to tell you our defense won us that Super Bowl because it's true. But Eli was a part of that too. I'm not arguing he's elite. You're making it sound like he's not a good QB.

I haven't brought up Sanchez once and I don't want to to keep this thread semi-tame.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
  #112
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Thank you for proving my point. They had an elite defense, and an elite WR. Manning didn't win them that Super Bowl on his own.
Eli had a great playoff run that year.

I'll play devils advocate.

If Eli didn't play like that, even with the defense playing the way they did, do you think the Giants make it to the Super Bowl and win it that year?

SomebodySaveKreider is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
  #113
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ
 
NYGRYK21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,281
vCash: 500
2 days till the draft.....can't wait.

NYGRYK21 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
  #114
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Not an abberation. That was a great team that caught fire, and at the right time.

The main reason they won hat superbowl was their front four, not Eli.

They held the Cowboys to 17, Packers to 20, and arguably the best offense ever to 14. That's why they won. They played three of the top five offenses in the game and limited all of them.


So, any other QB can make that throw to Tyree? Suuuuuuuure.

The Giants lose that game with nearly any other QB at the helm.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
  #115
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'll need to see what the Giants look like offensively before passing judgement.

I'm sure we'll have a decent defensive personnel, again. But WR, RB, TE, and OL could all be problem areas this year if we don't shore them up.

I want a blocking TE in the draft. No need for Beatty out there all the time. Shore up the OL and get a westbrook type receiving back.

Then try to sign Burress. We do all that, and Steve Smith makes a comeback, and we should be good to go.
I want a receiving TE and a blocking TE. Move Boss. Solid but unspectacular player.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
  #116
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post


So, any other QB can make that throw to Tyree? Suuuuuuuure.

The Giants lose that game with nearly any other QB at the helm.
To be fair I don't think ANY QB will make a throw like that in the recent future, including Eli. That was a mixture of luck, skill, chemistry, and everything that goes into a catch.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
  #117
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
To be fair I don't think ANY QB will make a throw like that in the recent future, including Eli. That was a mixture of luck, skill, chemistry, and everything that goes into a catch.
And everything that I mentioned about why he's so ****ing good in the clutch: grit and pure drive. Dude is about as good as you can get in the 4th quarter.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
  #118
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Nobody's saying that though! I'll be the first to tell you our defense won us that Super Bowl because it's true. But Eli was a part of that too. I'm not arguing he's elite. You're making it sound like he's not a good QB.

I haven't brought up Sanchez once and I don't want to to keep this thread semi-tame.
I didn't say he wasn't a good QB. Sorry if it came off like that. He's good, but he's not Mike Vick. Just my opinion.

You don't need to bring up Sanchez. Not a Jets fan either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Eli had a great playoff run that year.

I'll play devils advocate.

If Eli didn't play like that, even with the defense playing the way they did, do you think the Giants make it to the Super Bowl and win it that year?
He was pretty good in the playoffs. That question is completely moot to be honest. If the Giants had the Hefty Lefty starting, of course not If they had a different QB, who has the same talent level that Manning does, I don't see why not. He was incredible on the Giants' last drive in the SB, though.

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
  #119
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I want a receiving TE and a blocking TE. Move Boss. Solid but unspectacular player.
I'm an advocate of the aint broke-dont fix policy.

Plus I usually want to keep players from former championship teams unless they are downright awful.

I'd rather keep Boss, draft a #2, and use Beatty for big packages. T.B. can get gone, the guy is smaller than your average fullback.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
  #120
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
2 days till the draft.....can't wait.
Settle down Bart Scott.

NYRFAN218 is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
  #121
Section 409
FANATIC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post


So, any other QB can make that throw to Tyree? Suuuuuuuure.

The Giants lose that game with nearly any other QB at the helm.

He threw that ball up for grabs, but that's beside the point. You obviously want Eli to have all the credit just for the sake of it. Holding the Pats to 14 was unbelievable. If their defense doesn't play lights out, the Pats score 35

EDIT: And really, They would have lost with Joe Montana and Peyton Manning? Give me a break.

Section 409 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
  #122
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
If they had a different QB, who has the same talent level that Manning does, I don't see why not. He was incredible on the Giants' last drive in the SB, though.
It was not Manning's skill that won the game but his intangibles. I cannot stress that enough. I am not of the ilk that believes he is ultra skilled. I don't think his skill won him that game at all. It was everything else he brought to the table. His brother would have lost that game if he were a Giant.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
  #123
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
He threw that ball up for grabs, but that's beside the point. You obviously want Eli to have all the credit just for the sake of it. Holding the Pats to 14 was unbelievable. If their defense doesn't play lights out, the Pats score 35.
And if Eli can't bring them back, they lose the game. What's your point? The simple fact of you and others discounting his role in the game is laughable. Go and watch it again. You guys must have just seen a few clips on ESPN to come up with some of this.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
  #124
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ
 
NYGRYK21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Settle down Bart Scott.

NYGRYK21 is offline  
Old
04-26-2011, 10:24 PM
  #125
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It was not Manning's skill that won the game but his intangibles. I cannot stress that enough. I am not of the ilk that believes he is ultra skilled. I don't think his skill won him that game at all. It was everything else he brought to the table. His brother would have lost that game if he were a Giant.
Intangibles don't mean anything if you don't have a certain amount of skill too. We've seen that with an aging Chris Drury the last four years. Manning is a clutch player, yes, but the initial argument here was Manning vs Vick, and Vick has proven just as clutch in his lone year of starting in Philadelphia, mainly because Manning's SB was due to the defense playing spectacularly.

NYRSchrute217 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.