HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Briere

Old
04-26-2011, 10:59 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Daniel Briere

Seriously - where does this guy rank in terms of clutch players all time Flyers. How money is he. When the games mean more, he is the best player on the ice. His three playoff years for Philly are outstanding. His Buffalo years were as well. He is likely to top 100 playoff points for his career this year, 6th on the active player list (A guy by the name of Pronger is 4th).

Awesome.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Seriously - where does this guy rank in terms of clutch players all time Flyers. How money is he. When the games mean more, he is the best player on the ice. His three playoff years for Philly are outstanding. His Buffalo years were as well. He is likely to top 100 playoff points for his career this year, 6th on the active player list (A guy by the name of Pronger is 4th).

Awesome.
Pfft. Don't you know there's no such thing as clutch? Everybody plays to the mean. Or is that means to play? Plays mean?

Briere is the top playoff scorer since the lockout. And to think a good portion of the posters here -- myself included -- were looking to trade Briere and his contract for anyone/anything. You can just recycle my CV for General Manager, Mr. Snider.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

I find it logically impossible to dislike danny boy. My favorite player to date without question. For such a little guy he goes where it hurts the most to score 90% of his goals. A true gift to playoff hockey. The guy you always want to rally around.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I find it logically impossible to dislike danny boy. My favorite player to date without question. For such a little guy he goes where it hurts the most to score 90% of his goals. A true gift to playoff hockey. The guy you always want to rally around.
Not that I'm prying, but how often have you dated him?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Pfft. Don't you know there's no such thing as clutch? Everybody plays to the mean. Or is that means to play? Plays mean?

Briere is the top playoff scorer since the lockout. And to think a good portion of the posters here -- myself included -- were looking to trade Briere and his contract for anyone/anything. You can just recycle my CV for General Manager, Mr. Snider.
Truth. I thought he'd be a giant cap killer after those groin issues.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not that I'm prying, but how often have you dated him?
My GF loves him to death and I do for clearly separate reasons. Just a joy to watch.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
aristocrat

first, I am a sabres fan. Briere is one of those guys you love on your team but do not like when he plays against you. he got boarded by AO a few years back on Buf and in the next game spears OV but gets no call(Ov may have had it coming but danny did this a bit more) always was real easy to hit the ice after any type of hit when he was on Buf and now when he is on Philly. He puts up points in the post season but man watching him play against you just makes you mad...did it really take him that long to get up after the hooking call? the light check into the sabres crease? i'm telling you he did this a hundred times for the sabres and now i see it from the other side it just makes me laugh.

aristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

For Flyers, it's Briere's time to shine

But of course Briere is BAD defensively......he causes more goals against than he scores. Averaging a point per game in the playoffs is just BAD

Quote:
Since the lockout season, Briere has compiled an NHL-best 89 playoff points, and his 38 goals is second-best in the league during that time. For his career, he has 92 points in 92 postseason games. The only other active player to average at least a point per game is Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby.

This is the time of the year when players earn their money and their reputations. It is Briere's time.

"As the regular season was winding down, you could see him ramping up. He knew the time was coming," coach Peter Laviolette said. "That's a quality right there."

Briere credits his former Buffalo teammate Chris Drury with teaching him by example how to prepare mentally for these moments, for learning the elusive art of not being afraid.

"I watched him. 'This is the way you compete. This is the way you show up for big games.' I wanted to be like that," Briere said. "There were times in my career when you have that hesitation. But if you are able to say that things are going to turn out good and I'm going to make it happen, there's a big difference there. Chris had that mentality, that belief."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1KgsZCx00

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:31 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I don't understand the hate some have for him - more like used to have for him - either.

He's a midget and he doesn't care. He's going to set up RIGHT NEXT to the ****ing crease, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

He's worth every penny of his contract.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Mgkibbles

Whaaaaaa? I thought Joe Thornton was a ppg Playoff gamer....

Old
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Whaaaaaa? I thought Joe Thornton was a ppg Playoff gamer....
That article is wrong. They showed it during the game. I believe Briere was 4th out of 5. Malkin, Crosby, and someone else were ahead of him.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I don't understand the hate some have for him - more like used to have for him - either.

He's a midget and he doesn't care. He's going to set up RIGHT NEXT to the ****ing crease, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

He's worth every penny of his contract.
When he first came he def got some hate especially when had his injuries. His personal life didn't help but more than anything he really did what he could given the fact he had nobody to complement him until Leino came along and that line broke out.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
That article is wrong. They showed it during the game. I believe Briere was 4th out of 5. Malkin, Crosby, and someone else were ahead of him.
Thanks for clarifying....seemed off. Don't shoot the messenger though....

Old
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
I was kidding, Thornton's Playoff numbers are very meh for a player of his regular season ability.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:55 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I was kidding, Thornton's Playoff numbers are very meh for a player of his regular season ability.
I know Thornton isn't up there. I was just pointing out the article wasn't exactly accurate.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:07 AM
AaronTrieu

Danny was good all year. Me and my friends always joke "DAMN! someone must have told the danny the playoffs have started" about 15 game into the regular season. I'm really proud of that little guy.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:05 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Actually, I think those numbers they put up during the game were just stats since the lockout. Thus, Thorton may NOT be a ppg player in the playoffs for his entire career, idk. However, both Malkin and Crosby both should be ppg players in the playoffs as the stat they showed during the game had each at greater than a ppg and neither played in the nhl before the lockout. At any rate, there is something not right about that article.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I will eat some crow here, because there was a time a couple years ago that I wanted to unload his contract. Obviously, that would have been a huge mistake.

Kudos to Danny for proving me wrong. The guy is a playoff warrior and worth every dime he's paid, and then some.

Crow never tasted so good...

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:20 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Active post-lockout PPG players with at least 40 games played:

Crosby, Malkin, Spezza, Kane, Zetterberg, Briere, Toews, Staal
Ovechkin will join that club once he hits 40 games (46 in 33). Giroux could, too, if he gets 7 points in his next 5.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:51 AM
dats81

Danny Briere wants to win the cup so bad that he will do everything to achieve his goal. He is a perfect fit for the flyers right now, not only for the scoring punch but also for the intangibles that he brings.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Great player. Jester, this is pretty much the definition of clutch.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:20 AM
duffy9748

Most money player that I have ever seen. Also one of the more competitive players in the league.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Cartsiephan*

Funny thing is he is clutch in the post-season, but look at his regular season numbers, he is a pretty consistent performer. He was second on the team in pts.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:58 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

this guy just wants it this time of year and almost nothing can stand in his way.

kaleta's jab about his divorce might be remembered as one of the turning points in this series.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Most money player that I have ever seen. Also one of the more competitive players in the league.
He is so money he doesn't even know it....

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote