HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton AWOL (update, post #153: suffered a wrenched back)

Old
04-27-2011, 01:19 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Did I just see a post saying he should still be given a chance in the NHL...oh wow

Seriously, the guy just sealed his fate with this incident...you would think the finals would have sealed it but nope Holmgren doubled down by signing him and then Holmgren and Lavy triple down by calling him up and then playing him in the most critical game of the season. Luckily Briere and the rest of the team overcame his choke.

It still pretty embarrassing that we've had two of our three goaltenders suffer nervous breakdowns....Boosh is going to have to be almost flawless from here on in.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I also hope someone gives him another chance in the NHL. Preferably the Pens or Devils. As long as it's not the Flyers, I'm fine with it.

Blaming his teammates for the OT goal, being about as poor as he could possibly be in game 6 (not all his fault, he can't help it if he's Michael Leighton, and he should never have been put in that position), and then bailing on the team and the organization should get him a one way ticket out of town forever.
I keep hearing about this, but haven't actually heard/seen it myself. Does anyone have a link with quotes, or a video or something I could watch/read what he said?

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
I keep hearing about this, but haven't actually heard/seen it myself. Does anyone have a link with quotes, or a video or something I could watch/read what he said?
I heard and saw it but the context was a little off..I would need to see it again but he def did not just take full responsibility like Boosh did so that annoyed me enough. From what I recall it was a bit of an underhanded jab...even Tocchet said he hope he didn't hear what he thought he heard.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:30 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

He's not an NHL caliber goalie; never has been, never will be. I don't hold any bitterness towards him though. Not his fault the Flyers have continually put a low priority on getting a quality goalie by plugging in stop-gaps or glorified back-ups.

Leighton was though, to me anyway, the straw that broke the camels' back. In prior seasons I let myself believe that guys like Esche, Nitty, Biron, Emery or Boucher (circa '01) would just be "good enough" for us to win a cup if only because they had elite teams in front of them. But Michael ****ing Leighton? Now you're just admitting you don't care. I would have been angry had they brought him in only to be the backup let alone the ****ing starter.

Even during his "solid" regular season in '09-'10 I never drank the kool-aid some people here were...and still were up until the 1st period of game 6, he's not a guy you can win a cup with and neither is Boucher, as much as I like him.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
This could be the primary source of the conversation:

http://www.nj.com/gloucester/index.s...782.xml&coll=8

"You know, it's a tough situation," Leighton said of the overtime goal. "The defenseman has to go out and block the puck, and it kind of puts a little bit of a screen on me, and I just caught it through. You know, it's just a play that has to happen, the defense has to do that and it was just kind of a lucky bounce right on the guy's tape."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

"You know, it's a tough situation," Leighton said of the overtime goal. "The defenseman has to go out and block the puck, and it kind of puts a little bit of a screen on me, and I just caught it through. You know, it's just a play that has to happen, the defense has to do that and it was just kind of a lucky bounce right on the guy's tape."
Habitual self-deceit.....

Old
04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

lol are you kidding? How about "i've never grasped the concept of rebound control and don't think I ever will"

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Flyersfan139

Quote:

I think that's being miss interrupted, I think he was just saying when the defense went out to block the puck it screened him a bit but its a play that has to happen.

I dont think he was saying the defense failed to go out and block the puck.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
I think that's being miss interrupted, I think he was just saying when the defense went out to block the puck it screened him a bit but its a play that has to happen.

I dont think he was saying the defense failed to go out and block the puck.
It's hard to gauge but I can see your angle...either way he's trying to deflect but it's just a defense mechanism. I guess he's used to turning that on considering he's sucked most of his career...

Old
04-27-2011, 02:02 AM
PhilaFlyers

He does not deserve another chance in the NHL. He's an AHL goalie. At least we won the series or else he'd feel a lot worse.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:

Lmao, he's not blaming any teammates in that quote at all. Some of you guys are being a little ridiculous. Leighton is a garbage goalie who shouldn't be in the NHL, but there's no reason to bash him for that quote.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Norm MacDonald

I always got the impression that Leighton is not well liked by his teammates. Whenever teammates mention to him, I always pick up some passive aggression.

- Some players (I forget who) referring to him as "Michael Leighton" in interviews.
- Hartnell commenting on how bad he was with Carolina
- Richards saying they "trust" Leighton instead of directly saying that he's played well.

Maybe I'm just neurotic though.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:03 AM
StandingCow

I feel bad for the guy as he took that really badly.. but I really really don't want to see him in a flyers uniform ever again.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I think the puppy is #3 on the depth chart now.
Holy **** you've just won the internet!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:49 AM
StandingCow

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:58 AM
dats81

Hope he gets some help from the team to cope with it.
Taking into consideration Bob's mental breakdown (although not officially reported) we are really really thin on the goalie position right now. What happens if Boucher needs to get pulled or gets hurt in the coming series? You thrown in Bob again and hope that it doesn't ruin his entire career?!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:54 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Preach it, sister! Leighton has just done pretty much everything wrong that one can in this offseason. Yes, he was in a near-impossible spot to excel, but for the love of Terry Sawchuk, don't dump on your defensemen.
What did I miss?

edit: never mind. I should have figured it was a typical HF overblowment... what? wait.... what??

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:51 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I always got the impression that Leighton is not well liked by his teammates. Whenever teammates mention to him, I always pick up some passive aggression.

- Some players (I forget who) referring to him as "Michael Leighton" in interviews.
- Hartnell commenting on how bad he was with Carolina
- Richards saying they "trust" Leighton instead of directly saying that he's played well.

Maybe I'm just neurotic though.
I think so.

From all I heard Leighton's been extremely well liked not only by the coaching and managing staff but especially by the players.
"Extremely well liked" is a quote from our captain from the day Leighton got send down to the minors.
Last year, the Flyers played their best hockey in front of Leighton.
It's no secret Laviolette has a special relationship with Leighton going back to their AHL-championship.

I'm actually a little bit concerned because of this statement, it's one thing to be sour and angry about yourself because of a poor performance, everybody, especially athletes, go through those moments. It's a completely different kind of animal if he stays away from practice and isn't reacheable. I personally hope he's going to be fine, and for everyone making fun of him that they're one of the worlds 50 best in what they do, it's seems to be pretty easy, according to your comments.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He never put all the blame on his defenseman. He was trying to explain why he gave up the goal.

Some people on here need to chill out a little. I think HFboards forgets that it's dealing with real people. Some of the Hate that Leighton gets is unbelievable. Yeah ok , he's not the greatest goaltender in the world. But last year, I didn't see Boosh instill any confidence in the team down the stretch. At the end of the day, he's a goalie that got hot at the right time and had a lucky run.

I swear some of you think he burned your dog alive.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He never put all the blame on his defenseman. He was trying to explain why he gave up the goal.

Some people on here need to chill out a little. I think HFboards forgets that it's dealing with real people. Some of the Hate that Leighton gets is unbelievable. Yeah ok , he's not the greatest goaltender in the world. But last year, I didn't see Boosh instill any confidence in the team down the stretch. At the end of the day, he's a goalie that got hot at the right time and had a lucky run.

I swear some of you think he burned your dog alive.

Agreed, Leighton may be a bad goalie. I doubt he's a bad teammate.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:04 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Ya he was behind the SkateZone in Voorhees with a bottle of lighter fluid, his goalie pads and a dumspter.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

can you blame the dude? he goes from being 2 wins away from lord stanley and making a huge career move in signing his first "big" contract to back injuries and spending the healthy half of his season in ****ing adirondack new york. then he comes back to philadelphia and almost destroys his teams chances at advancing in the playoffs after calling out his teammates for ****ing up. he's just embarrassed at the way the season turned out for him. the dude is trying to do too much. go home, relax, get ready for next season and do your best to be this team's backup or AHL starter or something, i don't care, but stop acting like you've got what it takes to be an NHL starter on a team like the flyers.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
It still pretty embarrassing that we've had two of our three goaltenders suffer nervous breakdowns....Boosh is going to have to be almost flawless from here on in.
Meh, I still wouldn't say that Bob had a nervous breakdown. He took the loss hard, but I think it was more of an overreaction by Lavy then a full blown meltdown.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Sheesh, our goalies are emotional. Hope he feels better. It stinks that he was put into this position, but he just didn't play to par and them's the breaks. Try harder in practice or for next year, but no reason to cry about it. Chin up.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
infidelappel*

As much as I loathe Leighton as a goaltender for being so bad, I recognize that it's not HIS fault Holmgren is dumb about goalies and kept putting him in a situation to fail.

I hope he can separate the game from himself, because he doesn't seem like a bad guy. While I'll be happy if this stamps his ticket out of Philly (or at least off the Flyers), I hope he is still alright mentally and emotionally. Even my least favorite players don't deserve to have their personal life ruined by a game.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote