HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In praise of Shane O'Brien.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Very nice game from SOB. Not quite back to pre-AS game form, but he helped settle Co*y down and that makes them a decent 3rd pair, not a liability as they were a few of the games earlier in the series.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:21 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
OK, now that we have drawn the canucks, I can forsee SOB either committing multiple stupid penalties trying to stir up crap with his old team, or he could be the secret weapon we need to win it

come on meathead... do the right thing!

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:45 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Come on Shane...you're my favorite player....I need you to be smart, play like you did in game 6!! You know what Burrows and the rest of those jagoffs will do/say to you...please don't get sucked into it.

You can do it!!!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:01 AM
jigsaw99

jigsaw99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:52 AM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post

lol that's awesome..

Gonna be VERY weird to see SOB battling against us in the playoffs...
one of the best memories I have of him:

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I loved SOB when he was on vancouver, good locker room guy. But the guy is dumb as ****, and Hopefully he does not cost you guys a few games with stupid penalties.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I loved SOB when he was on vancouver, good locker room guy. But the guy is dumb as ****, and Hopefully he does not cost you guys a few games with stupid penalties.
We know!

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
luongo321

SOB really improved with the Canucks last season, but there were a few times where he would just lose his friggin mind. It will be interesting to see whether he can keep his composure while he's up against his former team or whether he cracks and costs your team some really stupid penalties. If he can keep composed and play with some maturity, he's pretty darn good. Emotions will definitely be running high at Roger Neilson's Arena and the Roxy.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
It was also weird when I looked up the youtube video of the Burrows hit on Dumont and sure enough which Canuck became involved? SOB. Dude's everywhere.....

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
BloatedGuppy

Good O'Brien is a bonafide top 4 defenceman. He's big, he hits, he clears the crease, he plays a smart conservative game. He's a steal at his salary.

Bad O'Brien is a walking misconduct penalty who makes bad decisions every time his skates hit the ice.

The problem with O'Brien is you never know on a nightly basis which one you're going to get.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
OpenWheel

I feel confident we'll get Good O'Brien. Dude is going to be too motivated to lose focus. He'll play well. I think our win or loss will come from what many of our other key players do.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I feel confident we'll get Good O'Brien. Dude is going to be too motivated to lose focus. He'll play well. I think our win or loss will come from what many of our other key players do.
I feel 100% confident in saying we'll see both.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
JuniorNelson

O'Brien> Ballard, Rome, Alberts. You could argue, based on games played and current form/pairing that O'Brien is better than Salo, too.

He may not be the better player or have the hockey sense (or shot) that those players have, but he is a better fit on the third pairing.

The trade looks blunderous in hindsight.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
O'Brien> Ballard, Rome, Alberts. You could argue, based on games played and current form/pairing that O'Brien is better than Salo, too.

He may not be the better player or have the hockey sense (or shot) that those players have, but he is a better fit on the third pairing.

He's better than Rome and Alberts but not Ballard. Its too bad AV had it out for Obrien at training camp. You know Obrien is looking to prove AV wrong for some revenge.

jigsaw99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
He's better than Rome and Alberts but not Ballard. Its too bad AV had it out for Obrien at training camp. You know Obrien is looking to prove AV wrong for some revenge.
I'd argue that he's a saw off with Alberts. Alberts doesn't get enough credit from Canucks fans due to being buried on a deep back end. He's huge, mean, and plays a pretty tidy game. Yes, he has deficiencies...his offensive game is non existent and he's not the fleetest of foot...but he's a very solid bottom pairing guy. Much the same as O'Brien, who has a higher upside, but is also more mercurial and unreliable.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Trotz and O'Brien had a little heart-to-heart toward the end of the Ducks series, and SOB didn't take another penalty after that.

Love him or hate him, if he's playing disciplined, SOB can be and is a very good defenseman.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:23 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
I'd argue that he's a saw off with Alberts. Alberts doesn't get enough credit from Canucks fans due to being buried on a deep back end. He's huge, mean, and plays a pretty tidy game. Yes, he has deficiencies...his offensive game is non existent and he's not the fleetest of foot...but he's a very solid bottom pairing guy. Much the same as O'Brien, who has a higher upside, but is also more mercurial and unreliable.
Agreed. imo, SOB and Alberts are virtually the same player. The only difference is that SOB shows his emotions out on the ice, which makes him more noticeable amongst fans and the media. Alberts quietly does his job without being noticed. That play where Hossa protects the puck from Alberts to set up the GWG in game 6, yeah SOB would have defended Hossa that exact same way.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:32 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Nah. SOB makes almost as much as Rome and Alberts combined. More importantly SOB brooded over his role last season. Alberts, Rome, and Ballard have all been healthy scratches this season. SOB would have been unhappy with that situation.

Talent wise, SOB is definitely ahead of Alberts and Rome. The only question was whether SOB was in the right frame of mind and not overextend himself. Like some have posted, the good SOB is a top 4 Dman, something that can't be said of Alberts and Rome. But all the same SOB is a playoff team's #5 which is probably the ideal role for SOB.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:16 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Obie had a pretty great game, IMO. The only truly brutal blunder came from Klein\Blum, and it resulted in the Canucks only goal.

Old
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Win One Before I Die
The Keg or bust

As much good as Obrien does, his negative play is equal to the positive. GOod player, but he needs to shut his mouth sometimes. Why did Kesler score 41 this year? He stopped yapping and being in the middle of things. If Obrien did the same thing, he'd be a solid top4 guy. Just my opinion

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:34 AM
The Big Foot

O Brain has some clear weaknesses that the Canucks know about. They are pretty good at forcing him to cough up the puck. Making him go to the backup on the rightside boards is a guaranteed giveaway.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

O'Brien has been pretty outstanding in the first two games, IMO. For how much "Hammer" is hailed, I've seen him with some pretty brutal giveaways\defensive gaffes through the first two games, on his own.

If SOB is staying disciplined, he's the perfect number 5, IMO.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:43 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
meathead has not done anything attention worthy in this series, and for him thats just fine.....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote