HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Blackhawks won game 7, would last year become less special?

Old
04-27-2011, 01:10 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
If the Blackhawks won game 7, would last year become less special?

Looking at the list of all the ones who did it, and they're decades apart, I have to admit that if the Blackhawks did it A YEAR after the Flyers did it, it literally would of ruined a lot of the pride I had in the Flyer's run last year. Not sure if I should feel this way, but it was truly an absolutely incredible comeback and it was publicized as such. I was literally begging the Canucks to net one to preserve the memories I had of going to game 4 where Gagne potted one in OT and the trip I took to Boston to watch game 7.

Anyone else?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Nuclear

It would have taken a lot away from the Flyers. Not to take anything away from the Blackhawks efforts, but 1 year apart would be enough to sway casual fans in to thinking it's not as special.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I was rooting for the Canucks the last 2 games so that it wouldn't take away from what the team accomplished last season. Of course it shouldn't matter what others think as it relates to what we did last year, but like you say it's a pride thing. Not that I wouldn't be any less proud of that group, but it's less impressive when another group does it the year after AND almost came back to win Game 7 in OT.

Almost....

I now understand why Mercury Morris is always so vocal and proud when each year the last NFL undefeated team goes down.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-27-2011 at 01:32 AM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Jtown

It was kind of a double edge sword for me.

On one hand i wanted the canucks to win, so we can preserve the "greatest comeback ever".

But on another I wanted the blackhawks to win, because i think the Canuncks are gonna be incredibly difficult to beat in the finals and i would have loved a rematched of last years finals.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:32 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

At the end I found myself rooting for the Blackhawks. But honestly, yeah. The one thing that made me deal with the loss in the SCF was the Bruins series. They made history. It should've been something the hockey world would talk about in years to come.
Then along come the Blackhawks. The same guys who took our destiny and stomped on it almost one upped the Flyers again. Coming back from being 0-3 down against the best team in the NHL, coming back from being on the PK with 2 minutes to go down 0-1 in Game 7 ... That would've blown the Flyers' accomplishment out of the water.

Before the game I wanted the Nucks to win because of those reasons. After witnessing what Crawford did I switched alliances. Also, I want to win the Cup, and in that regard the Canucks are the Flyers' biggest enemy. But in the end I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:16 AM
still life

I said before the game I was rooting for Chicago just because that comeback would be sick. Though I have to say, part of me is glad they didn't do it after all. In fact, I find this is a great way for them to have gone down: to have come so close and fall short. Kind of like our season last year and what they did to us. So yeah, actually, it's pretty nice to see them lose what must be such a heartbreaker.

But then there's the issue that if we do get to the cup, we'd wouldn't want one of the better teams like Vancouver. And that's true and another way to look at it.

still life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Poor Marcus Kruger, he plays for the Hawks.
He played for Djurgårdens IF in Sweden this season, they came back 0-3 to force a game seven and lost. He then joined the Hawks for the rest of the season. Well, 0-3 to force a game seven again. And lost.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:40 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Definently didn't want Chicago to do it. It's one of the rarest feats in all of professional sports. I'd like us to be the last to have done it for a little while.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Funny when the Isles did it they came back and almost repeated the feat against the Flyers who went on to win their second Cup... The upstart Islanders scared the **** out of all of us as Chico Resche took them from all but dead to the brink of overcoming being down 0-3 TWICE.

Yes, IMO a Hawks win in Game Seven would have taken the luster off last year's Flyers feat... BUT, as it is it only adds to just how hard it is to achieve.

...And every time a team gets in that position, and then again when they get close the Flyers monumental feat is brought up... AND how they were also down three goals to one in that Game Seven is brought up to add some more pizazz to the feat.

I had mixed emotions last night; I wanted the 'Nucks to be knocked off to ease the Flyers road... BUT... I also wanted the Flyers feat to stand alone for a while longer. I found myself rooting the Hawks on through regulation and then found I was hoping for the Canucks to pull it out once OT began and reality set in for me... The Hawks gained my respect in the end, and the Flyers 0-3/0-3 come back stayed intact.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 04-27-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:49 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I rooted for the Hawks last night only because I hate the Canucks with a passion. Had they won...I don't think it would have taken anything away from what the Flyers accomplished last year, so who cares? It's not like everyone would forget that the Flyers did it...then again I don't really care about records the Flyers hold, I just want to see a cup.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
no1b4me

I was hoping the Hawks would win. I hate the Canucks and Maxim Lapierre.
After watching the Flyers for 40yrs there is only one thing I care about and thats the cup. Going to the finals and losing means nothing to me along with beating the B's the way we did. Sure it was cool when it happened but thats in the past.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I was rootin' for the Canucks because my cousin is a huge Hawks fan and I can't handle his Facebook posting anymore!!

Belonging to the elite 'came back from 3 down' group also played a factor.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
MountainHawk

I dislike the Canucks for ruining a perfectly good 'Nine-teen-for-ty' chant, but rooted for them anyway to keep Chicago from doing the 0-3 thing. The Bruins should be the answer to that trivia question until I retire.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Definently didn't want Chicago to do it. It's one of the rarest feats in all of professional sports. I'd like us to be the last to have done it for a little while.
Yes, I actually picked the Blackhawks to win, but I didn't want them to win 4 straight because it would make the Flyers win last year less special, at least I think it would. At least the Flyers were down 3 goals in game 7 and came back.

Pantokrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:55 AM
BrindamoursNose

The answer is yes.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote