HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Briere

Old
04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
this guy just wants it this time of year and almost nothing can stand in his way.

kaleta's jab about his divorce might be remembered as one of the turning points in this series.
Nah, maybe a little fuel on the fire but the Flyers were a better team, it was just a matter of time before they wore them down. Next round is going to be a bit more troublesome but if they put forth a consistent effort and get some routine goaltending from Boucher and they should be good to go.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I'm eating crow too. I wanted his ass gone in his second year, but he's proving me wrong. Consider me a convert to Briere fandom. Kudos, Danny, and keep it up!

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
DUHockey9

I wanted him gone too, but it had nothing to do with his play and everything to do with his contract. We are now in a different place as far as the cap goes, so it's clear as day he shouldn't be going anywhere.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Briere credits his former Buffalo teammate Chris Drury with teaching him by example how to prepare mentally for these moments, for learning the elusive art of not being afraid.
That's awesome. Hopefully this rubs off Carter, Giroux and the like.

Briere is an absolute warrior in the playoffs. He really deserves a cup.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I wanted him gone too, but it had nothing to do with his play and everything to do with his contract. We are now in a different place as far as the cap goes, so it's clear as day he shouldn't be going anywhere.
We are still in the same place as far as the cap goes, there is a little bit of wiggle room but not much and the goalie situation is still shaky.

His contract was actually the most valuable of the three UFA's(Drury and Gomez being the others) and he has proven time and time again his value to this team. The reason they got him was the center position was unclear and they needed someone to help on the PP, thus Timonen and Briere coming to Philly. Now here it is a couple years later and he is still the most consistently productive center on this team in the regular season and the post-season.

Reason why people complained about his contract was because people wanted to make room for the other centers on the roster, it is clear as day that two of the most valuable players to this team were part of Homers plan that year, Timonen and Briere, and yet people still say they would move their salaries.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
That's awesome. Hopefully this rubs off Carter, Giroux and the like.

Briere is an absolute warrior in the playoffs. He really deserves a cup.
Ironically...Drury with the Rangers hasn't been a mental bastion like he was with Buffalo. At least Briere hasn't tailed off. His first couple of years especially his -22 year he was a bit frustrating but again it was because we really had nobody to complement him and he also had to play out of position for a while. Carter is now the one having to bid his time on the wing and not sure yet who complements his play the best either.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
We are still in the same place as far as the cap goes, there is a little bit of wiggle room but not much and the goalie situation is still shaky.

His contract was actually the most valuable of the three UFA's(Drury and Gomez being the others) and he has proven time and time again his value to this team. The reason they got him was the center position was unclear and they needed someone to help on the PP, thus Timonen and Briere coming to Philly. Now here it is a couple years later and he is still the most consistently productive center on this team in the regular season and the post-season.

Reason why people complained about his contract was because people wanted to make room for the other centers on the roster, it is clear as day that two of the most valuable players to this team were part of Homers plan that year, Timonen and Briere, and yet people still say they would move their salaries.
I understand what you're saying but disagree. Back when I had wished to be rid of his contract we had several key players that had expiring deals on the horizon. The huge ones being Carter, Gagne, Giroux and Coburn. We also knew Giroux would need a new deal, and at the time Parent showed promise. Not to mention Knuble.

It's just different now. Yes we are basically as tight to the cap as we always are but now Carter is signed long term, Giroux has a new deal and will still be an RFA at the end of it. We are also 2 years along in the long term deals so we have expiring money coming up (namely Timonen's 6+ million). It's just different. 2 years ago, we looked ahead 2 years and said "how are we going to be able to sign Carter, Giroux, Coburn and Gagne?"

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:43 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Ironically...Drury with the Rangers hasn't been a mental bastion like he was with Buffalo. At least Briere hasn't tailed off. His first couple of years especially his -22 year he was a bit frustrating but again it was because we really had nobody to complement him and he also had to play out of position for a while. Carter is now the one having to bid his time on the wing and not sure yet who complements his play the best either.
I was very suprised how Drury's time with the rangers has gone. Even Gomez hasn't really done too much since signing his deal either. Briere's regular seasons have been up and down. The only player he really seemed to click with in the beginning was Prospal. I remember they played really well together in 07-08. I really thought him and Gagne would compliment each other well. It's a shame that they were never really 100% healthy at the same time.

Oh and I agree about Carter. I think he gets a bit of a raw deal around here lately.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I was very suprised how Drury's time with the rangers has gone. Even Gomez hasn't really done too much since signing his deal either. Briere's regular seasons have been up and down. The only player he really seemed to click with in the beginning was Prospal. I remember they played really well together in 07-08. I really thought him and Gagne would compliment each other well. It's a shame that they were never really 100% healthy at the same time.

Oh and I agree about Carter. I think he gets a bit of a raw deal around here lately.
You are right about Prospal..they worked well once we got him. Good playoff success..although came up short for other reasons.

As far as Carter the more I think about it...it just seems given his style which I'm not a fan of necessarily..he seems to need somebody to complement him as well. Obviously, his style is what it is so I doubt he'll change much although he seemed to adapt to the wing better and had a nice stretch of production. Again I just think with him it's a mental thing of bearing down and working a little harder. He's more than capable. He should cut down on his low percentage one and done shots and maybe protect the puck and work the boards more on the cycle. His typical style is to gain speed from the neutral zone and back the D up and then shoot...he used to get more space and time. He doesn't anymore (especially in the playoffs)..hence why he needs to get his nose a little more dirty in front etc which he did when he was scoring just prior to the playoffs. PP he obviously has more room to do his thing and capitalize on his talent...

Old
04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
You are right about Prospal..they worked well once we got him. Good playoff success..although came up short for other reasons.

As far as Carter the more I think about it...it just seems given his style which I'm not a fan of necessarily..he seems to need somebody to complement him as well. Obviously, his style is what it is so I doubt he'll change much although he seemed to adapt to the wing better and had a nice stretch of production. Again I just think with him it's a mental thing of bearing down and working a little harder. He's more than capable. He should cut down on his low percentage one and done shots and maybe protect the puck and work the boards more on the cycle. His typical style is to gain speed from the neutral zone and back the D up and then shoot...he used to get more space and time. He doesn't anymore (especially in the playoffs)..hence why he needs to get his nose a little more dirty in front etc which he did when he was scoring just prior to the playoffs. PP he obviously has more room to do his thing and capitalize on his talent...
The one thing I like about him is that he shoots from everywhere. He takes some low percentage shots, but for the most part, he's the one guy on the team who on a 2 on 1, He's shooting the puch. Now, hitting the net with consistency, that's a whole different discussion lol.

I think he'll be fine. If he comes back, plays with Richie and Versteeg and they form a shutdown line, I wont care if he isn't lighting up the scoresheet.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Briere is money come playoff time. What I'm liking though is that if you watch him play and look in his eyes, you can see this new found seriousness and that it's almost as if he's willing to do anything to get back to the Stanley Cup finals. He's really been clutch. So has Giroux. Those two have been head and shoulders above everyone else (although JVR finally seems to get "it" and it looks like he's finally putting it all together).

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
The one thing I like about him is that he shoots from everywhere. He takes some low percentage shots, but for the most part, he's the one guy on the team who on a 2 on 1, He's shooting the puch. Now, hitting the net with consistency, that's a whole different discussion lol.

I think he'll be fine. If he comes back, plays with Richie and Versteeg and they form a shutdown line, I wont care if he isn't lighting up the scoresheet.
See that's where I disagree...you can't have a one track mind. You adapt your style to how the game is going what is given to you. Kind of like Leino saying he's not a dump and chase person...sometimes that is what you have to do because that is what is given to you. If you force the play or shoot when you should be patient then you create turnovers and lose puck possession.

It might be best to put him on the line with Richie and Versteeg but then again Richie does the neutralizing...kind of overkill if Carter is doing it too. Creates confusion and not balanced. He would have to be the one scoring..Versteeg the gnat. Maybe cut down Carter at ES somewhat and then get him out there on the PP ...do a Pronger deal to ease him in and not mess with the chemistry that is there with the lines thus far.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-27-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
See that's where I disagree...you can't have a one track mind. You adapt your style to how the game is going what is given to you. Kind of like Leino saying he's not a dump and chase person...sometimes that is what you have to do because that is what is given to you. You force the play or shoot when you should be patient and you create turnovers and lose puck possession.

It might be best to put him on the line with Richie and Versteeg but then again Richie does the neutralizing...kind of overkill if Carter is doing it too. Creates confusion and not balanced. He would have to be the one scoring..Versteeg the gnat. Maybe cut down Carter at ES somewhat and then get him out there on the PP ...do a Pronger deal to ease him in and not mess with the chemistry that is there with the line thus far.
I see what you're saying and understand. I just like the fact that he's the one guy who thinks shoot. The only time I have a problem with it is when he missed the net.

He seemed to play well in front of the net this year. I'd probably plant him there and try to get him a garbage goal or two and get his confidence soaring.

I don't want to take over the Briere thread with Carter talk though lol.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I see what you're saying and understand. I just like the fact that he's the one guy who thinks shoot. The only time I have a problem with it is when he missed the net.

He seemed to play well in front of the net this year. I'd probably plant him there and try to get him a garbage goal or two and get his confidence soaring.

I don't want to take over the Briere thread with Carter talk though lol.
But think of it how Doom is explaining it, his point is that puck possession is a priority in the playoffs. Shooting from poor angles on the rush makes for quick turnovers and leaves the door open for odd-man rushes especially on line changes. In the playoffs it is a more successful gameplan to cycle the puck deep, dig the pucks out of corners, and drive the net instead of being content with shooting the puck from bad angles of on the perimeter.

This is where Briere has his game and where he is so valuable. He sets up in his kitchen(behind the net), waits for the puck to come down deep to him and has the ability to either pass or shoot by driving the net, thus making the defenders have to repsect the lanes. If JC gets the puck it is either shoot or if he carries the puck too long the defenders will usually rush him and disrupt the play. It is about being committed to crash the net and get the nose dirty, not a lot of Briere's goals are going to make it on the top 10 list, but they count just the same.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
DrHamburg

When we can count on the Flyers making the playoffs easily his contract is so so worth it. In the previous years when the Flyers were struggling with positioning and he was hurt/slumping it hurts the cap so badly. But he has been amazing past 2 seasons.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
But think of it how Doom is explaining it, his point is that puck possession is a priority in the playoffs. Shooting from poor angles on the rush makes for quick turnovers and leaves the door open for odd-man rushes especially on line changes. In the playoffs it is a more successful gameplan to cycle the puck deep, dig the pucks out of corners, and drive the net instead of being content with shooting the puck from bad angles of on the perimeter.

This is where Briere has his game and where he is so valuable. He sets up in his kitchen(behind the net), waits for the puck to come down deep to him and has the ability to either pass or shoot by driving the net, thus making the defenders have to repsect the lanes. If JC gets the puck it is either shoot or if he carries the puck too long the defenders will usually rush him and disrupt the play. It is about being committed to crash the net and get the nose dirty, not a lot of Briere's goals are going to make it on the top 10 list, but they count just the same.
I realize what he was saying. Carter definently was going to the front of the net and such in the first four games. He was a bit snake bitten, imo. I like the fact that we have a guy who has a hell of a shot and likes to shoot first. We already have a few guys who's first instinct is to pass the puck away. I have no worries about Carter being a productive player.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Just think now of the 3 big centers available that year: Drury, Gomez, and Briere. Looks like we made the right choice.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Miss Mess

I had to share this Danny pic from the NHL Players as Kids website:

Too darn cute.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post

Too darn cute.
safe to assume he was decked out in MTL Expos gear???

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
safe to assume he was decked out in MTL Expos gear???
Looks like it.

KimiFerrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post

Too darn cute.
Its funny because it actually looks like him

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote