HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too many men on the ice, it's going the distance baby

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
No, not a bad call. You shouldn't touch the goalie at all.
If that's the case, you give Price two minutes for diving too then. Clear embellishment.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Patccmoi

It was a dive, Price embellished for sure.

However, you might want to tell your Bruins fan that Montreal does not have the monopoly on diving. Game 5 had a pretty impressive amount of Bruins diving/embellishing. I mean hell, Desharnais at 5'7'' sent Ferrence doing a 360 in the air to draw an interference call? Surely no embellishment there...

The thing is, Bruins think that EVERYTHING is diving and embellishing, at least when it comes to the Habs, and seem to totally ignore anything their team does as if they never did it. I assure you that if it was Hamrlik instead of Chara last night that had a hard time getting up after taking a check, Edwards would've been screaming "GET UP!!!!!!!" (and I don't think Chara was faking, but if it was a Habs, Bruins fans, commentators, etc. would've been sure he was. Hell, to them Pacioretty embellished).

Dives do happen. Habs do it. Others team do it too. It's the playoffs, players will take every single advantage they can.

As for last night's refereeing... it was just downright atrocious, what else would you expect with Chris Lee? But it was bad PLENTY on both sides, and the biggest break of all was gotten by the Bruins in the first minutes of the game.

The 2 5v3 that Montreal got were from automatic calls (not the first penalty necessarily, but the 2nd), that was just pure Bruins indiscipline. They can't moan about those. And Bruins shouldn't complain when they get a penalty on their PP, they're much better at 4v4 than 5v4. God their PP is pathetic.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Just like he has the right to be happy, I have the right not to give a crap. It is more annoying then anything to me as you don't see other people posting how such and such a province is doing well etc. Makes no difference to me where a player is from as long as he helps my team win the Cup.
Yeah Don Cherry doesn't gush over good ol' Ontarian kids and Kingston boys at all.... no one else does it except us obnoxious french Canadian separatists, am I right?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Barely touched him, Price dove. Bad call.

However, for those who watched the game in full, know very well that the entire game was full of bad calls.
Exactly, I know someone who was complaining that all the bad calls went against Boston but I told him he needs to open his eyes or he was not watching the same game as me as I saw bad calls all over the place.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Just like he has the right to be happy, I have the right not to give a crap. It is more annoying then anything to me as you don't see other people posting how such and such a province is doing well etc. Makes no difference to me where a player is from as long as he helps my team win the Cup.
Dude, seriously, if you don't give a crap about it, just ignore it. Wouldn't that be the true meaning of not caring? Right now, it looks like you're upset about it more than anything.

I don't really care and I know some people take extra pride about seeing locals do well, good for them.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Yeah Don Cherry doesn't gush over good ol' Ontarian kids and Kingston boys at all.... no one else does it except us obnoxious french Canadian separatists, am I right?
Not going to get into it. I am a Montrealer born and raised and only moved to Ottawa 4 years ago and I am French Canadian so whatever.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
There is no question in my mind that Price went down easily on that play, but I think the refs knew it. This was a makeup call for the awful call against Montreal (Kostitsyn?) right before.

Just ignore the Bruins fans. Any time one of our players does anything it should be a penalty and any time they get called or our guy falls it's a dive. It's pretty easy to see how they develop this mentality if you watch a game on NESN.

I just think last night was incompetent officiating. The whistle for no reason that cost us a goal, the hook that wasn't a hook, Bergeron's goalie interference, Horton's slash. Strangely there really isn't any argument against the 5-on-3 penalties. I don't know why anyone expected anything positive from the referees last night; it's like this with Chris Lee every time. Not always in the opponent's favor (although usually), but the calls ALWAYS get talked about more than the actual game.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If that's the case, you give Price two minutes for diving too then. Clear embellishment.
The league is being strict with contact towards the goalie. Bergeron interfered with Price, there's no doubt about it. Refs never call dives on goalies, and rightfully so.
If the goalie is in his crease, don't touch him, simple as that.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The league is being strict with contact towards the goalie. Bergeron interfered with Price, there's no doubt about it. Refs never call dives on goalies, and rightfully so.
If the goalie is in his crease, don't touch him, simple as that.
If that's the case, Price should simply stick out his elbow slightly when a player is passing by. Every time they touch him, he goes down and a penalty gets called.

It is what it is. Bergeron wasn't in Price's crease, barely made contact with him and Price went down easily. It was a bad call.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I've got a couple bruins fans for friend and they've been whining incessantly (I know, hard to believe) about Price diving on some play while Boston was on the PP. I don't give the whine much credence because I don't think Price would dive in general but specifically not on a play that could go either way.
Oh yeah, Price dove. But Ryder dove barely 30 seconds earlier to draw a penalty on AK and the ref bought that too, so it worked out.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
If that's the case, Price should simply stick out his elbow slightly when a player is passing by. Every time they touch him, he goes down and a penalty gets called.

It is what it is. Bergeron wasn't in Price's crease, barely made contact with him and Price went down easily. It was a bad call.
I don't know that it was a "bad" call. A ticky-tacky call for sure, but Price was in his blue paint, and Bergeron tried to take a short cut through the absolute tippy-top sliver of it and made contact. I think Price sold it a bit, but I've seen most refs make that call in similar situations, and he DID get smacked in the face with a slash at one point that went uncalled, so karma balance.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
The Doors

I find it annoying everyone is talking about this Price embellishment. They are ignoring the Ryder one on AK's hooking penalty, no? A slight hook on Ryder's arm and he falls to his knees?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't know that it was a "bad" call. A ticky-tacky call for sure, but Price was in his blue paint, and Bergeron tried to take a short cut through the absolute tippy-top sliver of it and made contact. I think Price sold it a bit, but I've seen most refs make that call in similar situations, and he DID get smacked in the face with a slash at one point that went uncalled, so karma balance.
I think it was as bad a call as the rest of them, including Ryder's little embellishment and the no goal call. Last night's game, and Vancouver/Chicago's game six, were prime examples of inconsistent reffing in the playoffs. Just absolutely brutal.

The problem players are having this year is; they don't know what will get called. I've seen slashes that break sticks getting called in one game, and not in the other. I've seen players with arms around their opponents, holding them off and it doesn't get called, while a simple stick-lift in another game gets called right away.

All I want is consistency. And not consistently bad either, as we witnessed last night.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

No it wasn't a bad call. A bad call is when the Dmen pushes a player onto the goalie and that said player gets a penalty.
Bergeron doesn't have to be in the crease, Price has to be in it. Bergeron comes to the edge and CLEARLY interferes with Price, as soon as he feels that Price drops. It's a penalty that every ref would give. It's been the case for most of the POs games of every team. Any type of unforced contact towards the goalies were called so far.

If Refs wanted to call embellishments, then at least half the penalties given would come with a coincidental dive/embellishment.
Some players drop like they've been shot after getting high sticked, others will do flips if they get tripped, others will squeeze the opponent's stick between their arm and body in order to sell a hook, others will fall easily after being interfered, etc...
It happens on at least half the calls. This is no different.

If the goalie is in his crease, and you touch him enough to interfere with him, it's a penalty. It doesn't matter if the goalie embellishes it, it remains interference. If Bergeron had not touched him, and Price fell, then yea, you could have argued about the dive. But in this case, Bergeron clearly touches Price.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
onice

Quote:
Well, to be fair it's not just separatists. Federalists do it too.

As for the original post, I did have a slight interest. Surprised to see so many Quebec players on that list. Hope it's a sign of things to come. I have no problems with the post as long as it doesn't become a we-need-more-Quebecois-players-to-win-the effing-cup whine.

To be quite honest I would prefer to have a 100 Quebecois in the NHL and none on the Habs than 50 Quebecois in the NHL with 15 of them on the Habs.

Last edited by onice: 04-27-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Barely touched him, Price dove. Bad call.

However, for those who watched the game in full, know very well that the entire game was full of bad calls.
It was an even up call for the dive by Ryder on AK. If anything the refs screwed us with that goal taken away early on.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:00 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:

I finally got a look at the play. And yes he went down easy. But don't say Bergy wasn't in the key, in fact he skated directly through it and got a bit of Prices glove hand. Bottom line is that you shouldn't skate through the other teams crease it exists for a reason.

I've said it before but... Boston as a team are completely ignorant of there own hypocrisy. They continually talk about how tough they are and that they play a brand of hockey that is tough but they don't take liberties. Lucic for instance went completely ******* when Kostitsyn hit him in the numbers early this year and says he would never make a play like that.... in revisionist Bruins history that hit is Spaceks fault for turning his back. He dove and embellished his injury. Lucic meanwhile immediately mugs for the refs like... I didn't do anything.

They also do not own any of their actions. If you were to ask Price if he embellished he's probably be a bit sheepish and give an answer that he brushed me, I wasn't expecting it, lost my balance... in a way that he knew we knew. As opposed to Ference's my glove got stuck lameass excuse... I'm not that type of player... just ask my teammates.... whatever. Give your lame excuse but please don't try to sell it like its actually real.

I'll tell my Boston friends, yup he might have embellished it, but what part of don't skate through the Goalies crease doesn't Bergeron understand. Take off the Rosy glasses and try to remember the Refs actually screwed us out of a goal, called 2 no brainers for the 5-3's and probably gave you a better chance to score by putting you in a 4-4 situation instead of the PP.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
WestIslander

Lucic left his feet to hit Spacek - Pictures and proof attached

I just wanted to show slow motion close up pictures of the Lucic hit on Spacek, you can clearly see in the 3rd and 4th pictures that Lucic left his feet to hit Spacek while Spacek was in a vulnerable position and did not know that Lucic was behind him.

Look at these pictures:

Old
04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
I don't think the Habs beating the Bruins would be an upset. Both teams were neck to neck most of the season. Beating the Flyers and Caps would be.
The media has the Bruins as a contender, most of them picked Boston to win the series easily. Boston management traded for players to make a deep push this year and talk is if they fail in first round then there will be a house cleaning so they also believe they are better team. I would say in their minds this would be an upset.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I just wanted to show slow motion close up pictures of the Lucic hit on Spacek, you can clearly see in the 3rd and 4th pictures that Lucic left his feet to hit Spacek while Spacek was in a vulnerable position and did not know that Lucic was behind him.

Look at these pictures:

Meh, it's not uncommon. I think what the stills show the most is the size difference. Jeez the guy is huge.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Bacchus1

It would be sweet is Lucic is suspended for a game!

Old
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Habs

Loved Julien whining about the 5 on 3 penalties, almost as if the ref threw the puck over the glass himself, to give Montreal the extra man advantage....

Old
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
The media has the Bruins as a contender, most of them picked Boston to win the series easily. Boston management traded for players to make a deep push this year and talk is if they fail in first round then there will be a house cleaning so they also believe they are better team. I would say in their minds this would be an upset.
How is Boston is contender and going to make a deep playoff push if they only had 7 more points than Montreal and only 2 more wins in the regular season?

Boston traded for Kaberle and he is a BUST!!! They traded a big centre drafted in the first round and a 1st round draft pick for a pending UFA than cannot perform in the playoffs because he hasn't been in them for 6 seasons.

Horton NEVER played in the playoffs either and it shows!

Lucic is too nervous to even shoot the puck straight.

Thomas, Marchand, Bergeron and Chara can only do so much for the whole team.

Even if Boston wins tonight, they are not getting past the second round.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
How is Boston is contender and going to make a deep playoff push if they only had 7 more points than Montreal and only 2 more wins in the regular season?

Boston traded for Kaberle and he is a BUST!!! They traded a big centre drafted in the first round and a 1st round draft pick for a pending UFA than cannot perform in the playoffs because he hasn't been in them for 6 seasons.

Horton NEVER played in the playoffs either and it shows!

Lucic is too nervous to even shoot the puck straight.

Thomas, Marchand, Bergeron and Chara can only do so much for the whole team.

Even if Boston wins tonight, they are not getting past the second round.
Chara's been pretty bad also. Every game he gets caught flat footed. Seidenberg and Ference have been their best d-men so far.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
I don't know what people mean by "bad" calls. In terms of the 5 on 4 I believe both teams had fairly equal chances. The only real changer were the two 5 on 3s we got which we scored both goals on. What are the refs supposed to do? Pretend Cammalleri's stick shattered spontaneously? Pretend the puck was deflected over the glass when no one was there to deflect it in the first place?

Closed Thread