HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm probably in the minority about Ville Leino...are you?

Old
04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
I've always liked him. Same can't be said for Z and Versteeg. I'd rather see those two gone.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
buff

vCash: 500
Leino is a beast!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:23 AM
DUHockey9

I still want to see him re-signed. I've been consistant in my hoping for ~2.5 a year. Anything more than 2.75 and I start to dislike it. I think a 2 or 3 year deal sounds about right.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Leino, and can deal with his spin moves and such most of the time, but he has to stop doing that kind of stuff close to the blueline(before he scored the OT goal he almost had a brutal turnover at the blueline)

I was glad to see him shoot on his goal tonight, instead of waiting for help

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
I like Leino, and can deal with his spin moves and such most of the time, but he has to stop doing that kind of stuff close to the blueline(before he scored the OT goal he almost had a brutal turnover at the blueline)

That's probably why he scored. Miller probably expected a pass.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:03 AM
ThePiousInfant

I never knew the dude had a worthwhile slapshot. My god, that was a rocket.

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

at times leino was painful to watch in the regular season. as long as he gets it done in the post-season i'm okay with splurgin on him.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

He went from goat to hero in a span of 30 seconds. The spin moves are telegraphed and he gets away with them down low but not near the blueline. If the Sabres had scored on that turnover he would have been chased out of town but things worked out just fine because of the OT goal.

That line HAS to produce big numbers offensively because Briere and Leino are not strong on defense. Briere also seems to be in the box a lot. It's all good when they're scoring but if we come up against a team that can shut them and one of the other scoring lines down, it's going to be a huge problem.

To answer the original question, I wouldn't give him more than $2.5 million/year. I don't think there's a chance that Homer doesn't keep his word because Leino agreed not to pursue an extension to get Versteeg. It shows a lot about his willingness to be a team player first and foremost and those are the types of players you really want.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
True. From almost zero to hero.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah he just needs to dump it once he is up by the blueline instead of trying to be fancy

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
This is what I think. If he can be kept and the Flyers can get a goalie, great. If he hinders getting a goalie, let him go.
They can't afford him and a goalie without trading a larger salary. They can't even afford Leino on his own without trading someone.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
I would resign Leino if the price was right.

If he's asking for anything above 3.5 mil then he can leave.
The deal is in place and he will be resigned, the issue was going to be the years versus the salary, last I had heard it was 4yrs and @$3.5mill, which is fair all things considered.

What I do not get is people trying to get him cheap, this is the guy who said,....... "Those conversations are between me and [Paul Holmgren]," Leino said yesterday. "But obviously, we all want to win the Cup. That's my first priority here. And I think everyone else would feel the same way.".......when asked about the addition of Versteeg.

He is also part of the best line that the Flyers have to put on the ice, all the flash and dash of the other players these guys keep it simple as part of the HBL line, they keep it deep and maintain possession, important for the playoffs.

He was also 4th on the team in scoring in last years playoffs with 21pts(7g, 14assts) and a +10 which means they are getting the job done at even strength.

But yet people want to lowball him while talking about bringing back Zherdev..??????? OMFG, this is UNREAL.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'd want him back for the simple fact of keeping the HBL line together. I'd rather not re-sign Zherdev and trade Steeger than lose Leino.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He went from goat to hero in a span of 30 seconds. The spin moves are telegraphed and he gets away with them down low but not near the blueline. If the Sabres had scored on that turnover he would have been chased out of town but things worked out just fine because of the OT goal.

First off he maintains possession of the puck, that is his game, the end result is a majority of the time he gets the puck deep enough and creates space for Briere by holding the puck and forcing the d-man to commit to him which opens up Briere behind the net and Hartnell crashing the net. It has been proven to be successful.

Quote:
That line HAS to produce big numbers offensively because Briere and Leino are not strong on defense. Briere also seems to be in the box a lot. It's all good when they're scoring but if we come up against a team that can shut them and one of the other scoring lines down, it's going to be a huge problem.
That line has produced big numbers, look at the history and look at the stats for this series: Hartnell, Briere, and Leino have contributed 10 of the teams 21 goals, including 2 of the 4 GW'ers and the lone OT goal. So is this the JC double standard? Please help me understand why you even take the time to criticize a line that had produced in this series and dominated the last playoff appearance? ANd if they are not producing because of a matchup should this not put more directly on Giroux, Carter, JvR, Zherdev, Versteeg, and Richards to get it done??

Quote:
To answer the original question, I wouldn't give him more than $2.5 million/year. I don't think there's a chance that Homer doesn't keep his word because Leino agreed not to pursue an extension to get Versteeg. It shows a lot about his willingness to be a team player first and foremost and those are the types of players you really want.

He is getting more than $2.5 and is worth it, much like Briere. When guys show up in the playoffs it is worth every penny. You are right, he did the right thing and he will get compensated. The numbers rumored to be out there was: 3 yrs and $3.5-4mill and 4yrs for $3-3.5mill. Both are fair considering the market. They signed Zherdev for $2mill and people expect Leino to take only $500,000 more than Zherdev, the guy who walked out the back door into a limo, and the same guy who earlier in the year went above the coach to complain about his playing time....!!

Old
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The deal is in place and he will be resigned, the issue was going to be the years versus the salary, last I had heard it was 4yrs and @$3.5mill, which is fair all things considered.

What I do not get is people trying to get him cheap, this is the guy who said,....... "Those conversations are between me and [Paul Holmgren]," Leino said yesterday. "But obviously, we all want to win the Cup. That's my first priority here. And I think everyone else would feel the same way.".......when asked about the addition of Versteeg.

He is also part of the best line that the Flyers have to put on the ice, all the flash and dash of the other players these guys keep it simple as part of the HBL line, they keep it deep and maintain possession, important for the playoffs.

He was also 4th on the team in scoring in last years playoffs with 21pts(7g, 14assts) and a +10 which means they are getting the job done at even strength.

But yet people want to lowball him while talking about bringing back Zherdev..??????? OMFG, this is UNREAL.
Yeah. In a choice between Leino and Z, Leino should win. I see no possible way he doesn't.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
kicksave27

I'll take the circle at the blueline (the Gretzky) over down the wing, high & wide puck out of the zone everytime. Ville improves puck possession time in the offensive zone, which can only be a good thing.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah. In a choice between Leino and Z, Leino should win. I see no possible way he doesn't.
The ONLY way that changes is if there is something with his hip that shows he may not be able to sustain another couple seasons, but it seems like he has been getting the proper treatment and the skating has been better in the playoffs.

The one area that originally of concern to myself was his defense, but when you see the HBL line work together it is amazing, I actually think Leino's defensive work has rubbed off on Briere. Briere has been much better at getting back on his coverage, sometimes lines just work, sometimes they don't.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Tick, tock.
I hope they sign him before 5 p.m.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I'll take the circle at the blueline (the Gretzky) over down the wing, high & wide puck out of the zone everytime. Ville improves puck possession time in the offensive zone, which can only be a good thing.
I am not sure if maybe it is a lack of understanding how this works or just a diregard but that is a huge aspect of winning these types of games. When you can keep the puck deep, cycle down low, and maintain possession a couple of things will happen: 1) defense gets tired, worn down, and can usually lead to poor line changes, 2) cycle is able to break down the defense and crash the net resulting in high quality scoring chances, 3) the persistent effort results in a PP, and 4) the deep cycle sucks the fwds down which opens up shots from the points.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
DrHamburg

I think Leino's best contribution is being an excellent linemate with Briere who is going to be here a while so we might as well make sure they are both playing well..

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
...The guy plays a solid 2 way game, is a great passer and actually puts effort forth game in and game out, and 52 points isn't bad either. I'd take Leino over Hartnell, Versteeg, and Zherdev any day.
Near my opinion!

Also he makes Briere and Hartnell better players with his O-zone presence! He decides Playoffgames!

Trade Versteek and his Chewing Gum away pls!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
Near my opinion!

Also he makes Briere and Hartnell better players with his O-zone presence! He decides Playoffgames!

Trade Versteek and his Chewing Gum away pls!
Actually I like Versteeg and how he fits with Richards, would like to see them together for a full year. You have the HBL, and then Giroux-JvR, and Richards-Versteeg, build around that group.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Giroux-Carter has looked good too.

edit: and Giroux-Richards.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:47 AM