HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers - Lineup

Old
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
68 million? Where did u see that number? It's supposed to go up to 62.2 for the upcoming season and I haven't heard anything about it after that except that owners will want it to drop.
Some forum or thread either in trade rumors on one of them said that because of the TV Deal and if the canadian dollar grows a bit more, then the Salary cap would jump up again next year as well, and the ballpark number that got spit out was like 65 or 68 something like that...I'll have to see if I can find it.

*It's in our salary cap thread here because at least of the TV deal it will go up in 12-13 by 2.55 is the thinking so my mistake 65 million it would become instead of 68. Of course its all hypothetical given that the CBA would come into effect.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:53 AM
azrok22

Quote:
68 million? Where did u see that number? It's supposed to go up to 62.2 for the upcoming season and I haven't heard anything about it after that except that owners will want it to drop.
The CBA expires after the 2011-2012 season, so everything is up in the air.

However, if the CBA stays the same, $68m+ isn't far-fetched for the 2012-2013 salary cap. Assuming the same increase in revenue as his season (the cap will be increasing approximately $3m season), the new U.S. national TV deal would drive the cap up further.

Quote:
New NBC/Versus deal is slated to pay the NHL $200m per year for the next 10 years. The old deal paid the NHL $77m per year.

This won't affect the 2011-2012 cap, but will affect 2012-2013. The player's share of hockey related revenue is 55%.

200-77 = 123

123 x .55 = 67.65

67.65 / 30 = 2.255

So in addition to other factors that have driven the salary cap up each year, the cap should go up an additional $2.255m in 2012-2013.
So $3m cap increase from other revenue streams, plus 2.25m from the national TV deal would give you a 2012-2013 salary cap of $67.45.

But again, the new CBA could change all of this.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Some forum or thread either in trade rumors on one of them said that because of the TV Deal and if the canadian dollar grows a bit more, then the Salary cap would jump up again next year as well, and the ballpark number that got spit out was like 65 or 68 something like that...I'll have to see if I can find it.

*It's in our salary cap thread here because at least of the TV deal it will go up in 12-13 by 2.55 is the thinking so my mistake 65 million it would become instead of 68. Of course its all hypothetical given that the CBA would come into effect.
And that increase would only be factoring in the revenue generated from the new TV deal. The cap has risen by ~$3-6m per year since the lockout without the increase in national TV revenue.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
And that increase would only be factoring in the revenue generated from the new TV deal. The cap has risen by ~$3-6m per year since the lockout without the increase in national TV revenue.
Thank You!

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
satrabyk

Some people are so delusional on this board. Prospal is not a stop gap or whatever u want to call him, hes a broken down horse that is finished. Drury has to be bought out or retired, do u honestly think he can go a whole season with just taking D zone draws lol. W2 now this guy is awful and will not be back next season id place a big bet on that one. If were not going to sign good quality free agents or older guys than i would much rather see young guys like Stepans of the world playing than your so called stop gaps.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said however I don't want any part of Torres and his dumb penalties. I have no problem getting another pest but it shouldn't be him. Gagne is a guy that would fit well and a player I can see sather going after. If you think he resigns I will believe you but stranger things have happened in free agency. Brunette is a guy I thought we may trade for before we got wolski, I could see sather bringing him in here with Richards but in the interview yeterdau on Michael Kay torts made it sound like he wants vinny back and I can see that happening.
My lineup is realistic. It's something attainable while staying the course, like Torts himself has said to do. Bringing in Richards to QB the PP and bolster Gaborik and the offense is HUGE and a must. Brunette plays from behind the net (hello people this is how the Rangers play) is durable, consistent, goal scorer and playmaker, AND is good on the PP. Prospal also fits but his health is a major concern. I would bring him back for sure if I knew he'd play all year, but that's a huge question mark.

I think the Rangers should look to take a step forward and wait until another good opportunity presents itself, aka a high end winger FA or Kessel type situation. That situation is not present right now.

The main concerns next season will be to:

Fix the PP - By bringing in Richards, Brunette, Del Zotto, and Pitkanen you improve the PP dramatically. The jump here should be astronomical.

Create a first line - Brunette-Richards-Gaborik is a legitimate offensive threat.

Improve third pairing - DZ - Pitkanen is a far improved pairing over Eminger/Gilroy/Mccabe - not only offensively but defensively as well. You could even swap Sauer-McD around to that pairing or put Staal-Pitkanen together. Not only that but it could reduce the minutes Staal-Girardi have to play.

Develop a kid - one of the prospects might prove to be ready and then you can bring them in on the third or fourth line to get experience without a ton of responsibility.

All of those things can be achieved.

I hear you on Torres, but the reason I like him is because he helps keep other teams honest. They won't be so quick to stay down low and cycle if they are getting popped, plus he is pretty good offensively, much better than Avery.

And that cap stuff is questionable, you can't be making moves based on what might happen two-three years from now.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
im hoping with the new CBA each team get a luxury buyout again

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
that would be nice

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Some people are so delusional on this board. Prospal is not a stop gap or whatever u want to call him, hes a broken down horse that is finished. Drury has to be bought out or retired, do u honestly think he can go a whole season with just taking D zone draws lol. W2 now this guy is awful and will not be back next season id place a big bet on that one. If were not going to sign good quality free agents or older guys than i would much rather see young guys like Stepans of the world playing than your so called stop gaps.
How is Prospal finished? He played in 82 and 75 games the past 2 seasons respectively. He had a knee problem, and came back to score 23 points in 29 games, carrying us into the playoffs in the process. All of this on a knee that still isn't completely healed.

What is the harm in bringing him back another year if he can properly rehab his kneee over the summer? He scores, brings leadership, has shown chemistry with Gaborik, and genuinely loves to play for this team. Players like Prospal were built for Broadway. Coupled with the fact that he will probably return on the cheap, there is absolutely no downside to offering him a 1 year extension.

If he can't hack it in training camp, then you cut him loose. Out of all the problems we have on this team, Prospal is not one of them. If a youngster can't beat out a 36 year old coming off of major knee surgery for a roster spot, they aren't ready anyway. I seriously don't know what you have against Prospal, you bash the guy every chance you get.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
NYRfan11

I know ideas for Drury trades have been thrown around including Olesz for Drury w/FLA.

How about Reinprecht + Rangers 3rd Rder (Panthers own w/McCabe trade) for Drury + Rangers 2nd Rder?

So in other words we move down a round, we still have the Caps 2nd rounder, and Florida takes on the difference in their salaries (a little less than 3M for a guy who can teach their kids). Plus it'll be easier for them to get to the floor. What do you think?

NYRfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
How is Prospal finished? He played in 82 and 75 games the past 2 seasons respectively. He had a knee problem, and came back to score 23 points in 29 games, carrying us into the playoffs in the process. All of this on a knee that still isn't completely healed.

What is the harm in bringing him back another year if he can properly rehab his kneee over the summer? He scores, brings leadership, has shown chemistry with Gaborik, and genuinely loves to play for this team. Players like Prospal were built for Broadway. Coupled with the fact that he will probably return on the cheap, there is absolutely no downside to offering him a 1 year extension.

If he can't hack it in training camp, then you cut him loose. Out of all the problems we have on this team, Prospal is not one of them. If a youngster can't beat out a 36 year old coming off of major knee surgery for a roster spot, they aren't ready anyway. I seriously don't know what you have against Prospal, you bash the guy every chance you get.
I kind of agree, but (i) he won't play for free here and next season bonuses goes up against the cap (ii) he have a chronic knee injury that swelled for no reason (and then went down for no reason either basically as far as I understand).

Had Prospal just been old and slow, I would definitely have been in favor of keeping him. But its the cold truth that a big majority of vets with such bad knees as he have is not able to come back. Prospal could be a exception, and then its a great move to keep him. But the odds aren't that good.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I kind of agree, but (i) he won't play for free here and next season bonuses goes up against the cap (ii) he have a chronic knee injury that swelled for no reason (and then went down for no reason either basically as far as I understand).

Had Prospal just been old and slow, I would definitely have been in favor of keeping him. But its the cold truth that a big majority of vets with such bad knees as he have is not able to come back. Prospal could be a exception, and then its a great move to keep him. But the odds aren't that good.
I think we're basically in agreement. I don't want Prospal back either if he can't play. Heck, I thought his career was over at the midpoint of this past season.

However, the fact that he was able to come back and produce as much as he did (.79PPG) down the stretch really changed my mind. If our medical staff feels like his knee can withstand the wear and tear of an entire season without significant risk of injury, I see no reason why we shouldn't offer him a one year contract.

He would probably come back on a similar contract as last year, nad maybe even a little cheaper due to injury concerns. Sounds like a deal to me, if he can still play of course.

Old
04-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
The CBA expires after the 2011-2012 season, so everything is up in the air.

However, if the CBA stays the same, $68m+ isn't far-fetched for the 2012-2013 salary cap. Assuming the same increase in revenue as his season (the cap will be increasing approximately $3m season), the new U.S. national TV deal would drive the cap up further.

So $3m cap increase from other revenue streams, plus 2.25m from the national TV deal would give you a 2012-2013 salary cap of $67.45.

But again, the new CBA could change all of this.
I definitely read that regardless of what the players want and vote to do, the owners will try to get the salary cap to drop down after next season. If that happens remains to be seen, but I have no desire to hand out any salary over 7 million to anyone not named Brad Richards. He should be our 1 big contract given out, we haven't done so well giving out huge contracts so lets just try and make one happen. I have no problem going after a top tier LW (Gagne, Jokinen, or stop-gap Brunette) or a puck moving d-man (which Torts said he wants) be it Pitkanen or Ehroff, but I don't want anyone who will cost over $5 million a year besides Richards cause then we can only fill one hole (LW or puck moving d-man) besides top line center if we buyout Drury and Wolski.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
My lineup is realistic. It's something attainable while staying the course, like Torts himself has said to do. Bringing in Richards to QB the PP and bolster Gaborik and the offense is HUGE and a must. Brunette plays from behind the net (hello people this is how the Rangers play) is durable, consistent, goal scorer and playmaker, AND is good on the PP. Prospal also fits but his health is a major concern. I would bring him back for sure if I knew he'd play all year, but that's a huge question mark.

I think the Rangers should look to take a step forward and wait until another good opportunity presents itself, aka a high end winger FA or Kessel type situation. That situation is not present right now.

The main concerns next season will be to:

Fix the PP - By bringing in Richards, Brunette, Del Zotto, and Pitkanen you improve the PP dramatically. The jump here should be astronomical.

Create a first line - Brunette-Richards-Gaborik is a legitimate offensive threat.

Improve third pairing - DZ - Pitkanen is a far improved pairing over Eminger/Gilroy/Mccabe - not only offensively but defensively as well. You could even swap Sauer-McD around to that pairing or put Staal-Pitkanen together. Not only that but it could reduce the minutes Staal-Girardi have to play.

Develop a kid - one of the prospects might prove to be ready and then you can bring them in on the third or fourth line to get experience without a ton of responsibility.

All of those things can be achieved.

I hear you on Torres, but the reason I like him is because he helps keep other teams honest. They won't be so quick to stay down low and cycle if they are getting popped, plus he is pretty good offensively, much better than Avery.

And that cap stuff is questionable, you can't be making moves based on what might happen two-three years from now.
Again, good post. The lineup is very realistic and achievable, we just have to factor in the Sather factor in that every season he has at least one signing that leaves us scratching our head.

Obviously our Lebron is Richards, they have to get him, period. That is how important he is.

Gagne, Jokinen, Brunette, and Cole are all guys I could see on his short list to add more top tier talent, Cole however is a RW and I doubt they make him or Gaborik switch sides so I don't see him as a top choice. Gagne is the typical Sather choice IMO, but Sather has been a bit stingy the last few years and he may have to overpay to get Richards, so Brunette could be signed if Sather wants to save some money for other needs.

Pitkanen is the guy Sather has been trying to trade for every deadline when he tries to acquire an offensive d-man. He got poti (not at the deadline) who didn't pan out, but who can forget Ozo, Morris, Gusarov, and now McCabe. Torts wants a puck moving d-man and Sather will get him one, if not thru FA than via a trade.

I expect Sather to land Richards, Pitkanen, a LW free agent and then he will sign a head scratcher. Maybe Torres is that player for me, but who knows. I think Sather will get someone else to really handle the rough stuff. To me Rupp and Kenopka are way the guys I would go after, so Sather won't cause he always goes off the beaten path in this regard (McCarthy, Orr, Brash, and Now Boogie). We will just have to wait and see.

I think MDZ starts in Hartford, especially if they bring back Gilroy which it sounds like they will do on the cheap, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I want him to get some confidence and he can always get called up if we need him.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Hall-E.Staal-Callahan<C>
Grachev-Skinner-Dubinsky<A>
Boyle-Anisimov-Malone
Prust-Courtier-Zuccarello

M.Staal<A>-Del Zotto
Johnson-Zanon
McDonagh-Valentenko

This one is courtesy of NHL 11. I wish we could actually have this one, they put up 118 points.

This is legit too; within the cap with no pre-editing...if only the real job were as easy as the game

Oh and if you put Callahan with an elite center in that game, he scores 40 goals. It was awesome.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
TrueBlueJoe89

Just my hypothetical lineup based on a $62.5 million cap.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Simon Gagne ($3.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.975m) / Scottie Upshall ($3.250m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.975m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.250m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.250m) / Brian Boyle ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

BUYOUT

Wojtek Wolski ($0.466m) / Chris Drury ($3.716m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.150m)
/ Steve Eminger ($0.825m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,645,834; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $854,166

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Vitto79

Upshall would be a nice top 6 F for sure. I think every FA will be over paid though which is why I would just keep Wolski for another yr then let him walk

Isnt having Drury and Wolski bought out alot on the cap overall?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
for sure, would it not be Redden though?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Not sure why we'd go out of our way to sign Upshall. Nice player, but not the kind of player we should be giving out a FA contract to.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
for sure, would it not be Redden though?
Absolutely. By the time that CBA rolls around, he's the last of the embarrassments (unless we want to count Boogaard).

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
NYRangers77

Gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Grachev-Stepan-MZA
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Christensen

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
DZ - Babchuk/Gilroy/Eminger/Someone Else

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
Just my hypothetical lineup based on a $62.5 million cap.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Simon Gagne ($3.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.975m) / Scottie Upshall ($3.250m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.975m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.250m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.250m) / Brian Boyle ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

BUYOUT

Wojtek Wolski ($0.466m) / Chris Drury ($3.716m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.150m)
/ Steve Eminger ($0.825m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,645,834; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $854,166
This doesn't account for the Boogey Man's salary. Also, it doesn't account for Avery's salary.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
This doesn't account for the Boogey Man's salary. Also, it doesn't account for Avery's salary.
Yep. And there's no way we could even stow them in Hartford since we would be over the summer cap with Redden's bloated monstrosity of a contract eating up the entire thing.

Damn you Sather.... damn you.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Sathers got three things he has to do in my mind.

1- buyout drury
2- rid u's of wolski somehow, I'm confident he'll work his magic yet again
3- sign our FA's and Richards

If the cap is there I'd love to sign one of gagne or upshall.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Sathers got three things he has to do in my mind.

1- buyout drury
2- rid u's of wolski somehow, I'm confident he'll work his magic yet again
3- sign our FA's and Richards

If the cap is there I'd love to sign one of gagne or upshall.
Buyout both. Wolsi's buyout is paltry at 1/3.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote