HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks Series/Season Postmortem

Old
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Sorry we are congratulating you on a wonderful season. Didn't know that was some sort of insult.

Terry Murray was the biggest baby of this series, capped off with the "I'm going to go cry in my office" after game 6. Yes, coaches do shake players' hands... it's happened in every series I've seen for quite a while now.
Thanks for the congrats but we weren't actually out there playing.

I guess you just don't get it. A "wonderful season" would have included a first round victory. The loss is a failure as far as I'm concerned. I'm not shocked at the result but I did think the Kings could win the series. How will you feel if the Sharks get bounced in the next round and the other team's fans tell you how great of a season the Sharks had? You will disappointed as most of the Kings fans are and well wishes from opposing fans aren't going to change that.

I am one of the few around here who actually expected the Kings to win the series and they really did throw it away as far as I'm concerned. Your warm well wishes are nice but it is a bit backhanded even if you are being genuine. Sorry I don't feel like joining in on the group hug or drum circle or whatever it is that is going on here.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I don't like it, either. It's starting to reek of condescension and "hey maybe when your team grows up they'll be as good as our team lol". Enough already. Congrats on winning, Sharks fans, and respect - but I get it.
Would you prefer they trolled the Kings board?

Come on guys, keep smiling. This is the HF equivalent of the end-of-series handshake. Some of it is genuine, some of it is a little condescending, but you smile and say "good series" and move on. The Sharks fans will have other things on their minds soon enough and they'll stop coming by. I appreciate their kind words and find them entirely respectful.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Would you prefer they trolled the Kings board?

Come on guys, keep smiling. This is the HF equivalent of the end-of-series handshake. Some of it is genuine, some of it is a little condescending, but you smile and say "good series" and move on. The Sharks fans will have other things on their minds soon enough and they'll stop coming by. I appreciate their kind words and find them entirely respectful.
It would just be nice to be on the other side of it for a change. We're like the ugly girl whose boyfriend just broke up with her and all her better looking friends are telling her it is ok but in the end, the friends are all better looking so they won't have the same problem she had finding that boyfriend.

With all do respect to the pleasant Shark fans, I hope the Sharks lose in the next round just as I did when the Kings lost to the Canucks last year, the Avalanche 2 years in a row in the early 2000's and every other team the Kings ever lost to in the playoffs. I want Sharks fans to wallow in the absence of championships just like Kings fans have had to do for years. In 20 more years when they still haven't watched the team they follow win the Cup, then maybe they'll get it. How is that for some warm feelings?

Cordially yours,

Bitter, party of one

Old
04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsharkfan View Post
Attended all three games at Staples.

Great, loud, intense fans. Thank you in Section 315 for being cool with my son and I. We adhered to a 10 second rule (Sharks score...stand-up clap for ten seconds, sit down, shut up).

When Thornton scored the winner, we enjoyed the moment, and for a few seconds got carried away. Then the guy sitting across the aisle (Kings fan) pats me on the back and says, "good luck next round!"

The coolest thing the Kings do is to honor a service man/woman each game. What an honor to be recognized by your hometown! Hope that tradition never goes away.
Wow. You sat in my section and came away saying we are a respectful bunch.

I Don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
21Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

With all do respect to the pleasant Shark fans, I hope the Sharks lose in the next round just as I did when the Kings lost to the Canucks last year, the Avalanche 2 years in a row in the early 2000's and every other team the Kings ever lost to in the playoffs. I want Sharks fans to wallow in the absence of championships just like Kings fans have had to do for years. In 20 more years when they still haven't watched the team they follow win the Cup, then maybe they'll get it. How is that for some warm feelings?

Cordially yours,

Bitter, party of one
Make that a party of two.

I don't take kindly to my teams losing to teams from NoCal.

21Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
KingsKnight
June 11-12 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Yup. It's a shame that some of these Kings fans are saying the Sharks were the better team. WTF, MAN UP BOYS, we could've taken these guys. We lost 3 of the games in overtime. Game 1 Richardson could've popped in the game winner. Game 3, well everyone knows what happened in Game 3, being up 4-0 and losing in a playoff game at home is inexcusable. And yesterday we lost in OT but that 5 mins PP at the end was really the game. If Kopitar was playing last night and in this series, we could've easily handled these guys. We were the better team except for Game 4, they were clearly the better team but we were all around better than them. All you Kings fans that keep saying the Sharks were better than us, bow your head in shame
If you think about it, they beat us in regulation once, we beat them in regulation twice. The other three games were OT and could have gone either way. They should feel lucky that they made it out of the first round.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
If you think about it, they beat us in regulation once, we beat them in regulation twice. The other three games were OT and could have gone either way. They should feel lucky that they made it out of the first round.
Exactly ****. We need more fans to think the way you & I are thinking. Kings fans are too easy going & stuff, they have to learn how to be critical of their team. Like I said earlier, we're spoiled with guys like Rich, Jim & Bob, easy going dudes, who are almost NEVER critical. That's why people like Helene, Ray Ferrarro and Daniel Tolensky are a refreshing site when it comes to being honest about what is wrong with the Kings

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Yup. It's a shame that some of these Kings fans are saying the Sharks were the better team. WTF, MAN UP BOYS, we could've taken these guys. We lost 3 of the games in overtime. Game 1 Richardson could've popped in the game winner. Game 3, well everyone knows what happened in Game 3, being up 4-0 and losing in a playoff game at home is inexcusable. And yesterday we lost in OT but that 5 mins PP at the end was really the game. If Kopitar was playing last night and in this series, we could've easily handled these guys. We were the better team except for Game 4, they were clearly the better team but we were all around better than them. All you Kings fans that keep saying the Sharks were better than us, bow your head in shame
The playoffs are not about "what if's" in the end they won the series meaning that they were the better team in those 6 games however, with Kopi who knows what might have been but remember the playoffs aren't about "what if's"

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:01 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Exactly ****. We need more fans to think the way you & I are thinking. Kings fans are too easy going & stuff, they have to learn how to be critical of their team. Like I said earlier, we're spoiled with guys like Rich, Jim & Bob, easy going dudes, who are almost NEVER critical. That's why people like Helene, Ray Ferrarro and Daniel Tolensky are a refreshing site when it comes to being honest about what is wrong with the Kings
So... if we were more critical of the team on our message boards, this would help how?

Look, I have no problem with being disappointed with the loss. In fact, I think I've been a little more critical than you have, since you seem to have convinced yourself that the Kings could have won easily. I come away from this series convinced that San Jose was a better team when it mattered most.

But that's neither here nor there. All I'm saying is that it is better to be gracious, even in defeat.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

I had to really take a step back after last night.

I went to my only playoff game this year and I think, all things considered, I probably picked the best one to attend. Staples Center was in a frenzy after the game was tied up, I'm not sure I've heard it that loud since Adam Deadmarsh eliminated the Red Wings. I'm really getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

I sat in my seat for about 15 after the game ended. The usher told me to leave.

I wasn't going to go to any playoff games this year. Last year I remember it felt like someone had punched me in the stomach when I had to watch the handshake from my seats right on the glass. I vowed that I was only going to spend money on entertainment that had no hopes of bumming me out (concerts, vacations, etc).

But then the Kings went and won game 5 and I said to myself that the Kings had earned this game and I was going to go and support the team. I didn't really have the highest expectations but I wanted to just be there either way.

The feeling in the building for the overtime intermission wasn't all the negativity I've heard around here about the missed pp opportunity, but from what I could tell was a belief that the Kings were about to do something pretty special.

Then Thornton cleaned up the garbage on a broken play.

I sat in a haze until the usher in the red jacket told me to leave.

Ughh.... depressing. I've been doing this for 25 years.

All this aside I do NOT share the opinion that we are fundamentally flawed in terms of our management, coaching, or goaltending. I really think, ESPECIALLY after last night, that we are only a puzzle piece or two away from putting this thing together.

Sorry for the rant. Had to get this off my chest and I thank the lot of you for being around as a great support/therapy group for me over the last month or so.

Go Kings!

Last edited by The Butcher: 04-26-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: because i suck at editing
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:51 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

This series really reminded me of last year vs Vancouver when we had our chances to be neck and neck in the series but ultimately choked away leads that we should have kept. I'm really disappointed that the team couldn't get farther then they were able to last year. I know many people will disagree but I think they should have shown more this year.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
This series really reminded me of last year vs Vancouver when we had our chances to be neck and neck in the series but ultimately choked away leads that we should have kept. I'm really disappointed that the team couldn't get farther then they were able to last year. I know many people will disagree but I think they should have shown more this year.
This. I want to be incredibly positive, and the team did show SO much heart, but this reminded me soooo much of last year. We were in a position to win, maybe a position we shouldn't have been in, but we mostly choked it away. Couldn't win a home game. Couldn't win an OT game. Couldn't score on a 5 min PP. Couldn't hold a 4 goal lead. If last year was a learning experience for the young core, what was this year? Because most of the young core that were around last year were fairly mediocre this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I take a lot of positives out of this series as well, and I'm also fairly happy and proud, but that paragraph above is the little black cloud following me around...

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Im with you on this, but its overly critical(Quick at parts), and not enough in other cases

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:37 AM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This. I want to be incredibly positive, and the team did show SO much heart, but this reminded me soooo much of last year. We were in a position to win, maybe a position we shouldn't have been in, but we mostly choked it away. Couldn't win a home game. Couldn't win an OT game. Couldn't score on a 5 min PP. Couldn't hold a 4 goal lead. If last year was a learning experience for the young core, what was this year? Because most of the young core that were around last year were fairly mediocre this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I take a lot of positives out of this series as well, and I'm also fairly happy and proud, but that paragraph above is the little black cloud following me around...
People can go along saying that one player should not make that much of a difference for a team, I beg to differ. ANZE KOPITAR! Those cross-ice passes in our zone that eventually led to goals would have been stopped by Anze, AT LEAST ONE of them in the Game 3 which would have led us to a win. Last year was a learning experience, this year was a learning experience without Anze Kopitar. Think when those all combine, what team we will have next year, additions to the team or not.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Nothing wrong with being critical, especially when pointing out a deficiency or area of improvement. However, some of the comments on this board were just plain wrong.

"I'm embarrassed to be a Kings fan."
"Player X is a disgrace"
"This organization is pathetic"

I have never heard Helene, Ferrarro, Tolensky say anything along those lines. Would it be fair to say someone struggled? The organization lacks <top line sniper><prowerplay structure>? Sure. Those are valid criticisms. But people cross the line. Player X is a disgrace? Come On. These guys work their ass of, put it all on the line, and screw ups will happen, but its not from lack of effort. Those types of comments are really what irk me.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Nothing wrong with being critical, especially when pointing out a deficiency or area of improvement. However, some of the comments on this board were just plain wrong.

"I'm embarrassed to be a Kings fan."
"Player X is a disgrace"
"This organization is pathetic"

I have never heard Helene, Ferrarro, Tolensky say anything along those lines. Would it be fair to say someone struggled? The organization lacks <top line sniper><prowerplay structure>? Sure. Those are valid criticisms. But people cross the line. Player X is a disgrace? Come On. These guys work their ass of, put it all on the line, and screw ups will happen, but its not from lack of effort. Those types of comments are really what irk me.
Agreed. But some of us say we're embarrassed to be a Kings fan in the heat of the moment, but when it all settles down, we're proud. But to say that the Sharks were better than us or deserved this series more than us is not true. We could've had any of those games and their just lucky our best player is hurt. People on the East Coast don't understand how valuable Kopitar is to this club, plays on the PK, PP, our #1C. Jim Fox was on the verge of tears when the injury occurred. I try to make a comparison to my friends when I try to explain how valuable and how much we miss a guy like Kopitar, but none of them seem to understand.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
A few days off and I'm still pissed. They blew it. Our best line in the playoffs was also our worst line. I dont fault Murray for not shaking hands, I wouldn't have either. Kompon has to go. The ****** black jerseys have got to go as well. Penner needs a miracle diet. Doughty needs to stop partying. So does Simmonds or he can go. Smyth, I love you in the playoffs but you're a lot like Luc at the end of his career. Kopi come back healthy. Thanks for everything Zeus. That loss left such a bad taste in my mouth I don't think I want to go to Europe next year.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
KingsKnight
June 11-12 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
A few days off and I'm still pissed. They blew it. Our best line in the playoffs was also our worst line. I dont fault Murray for not shaking hands, I wouldn't have either. Kompon has to go. The ****** black jerseys have got to go as well. Penner needs a miracle diet. Doughty needs to stop partying. So does Simmonds or he can go. Smyth, I love you in the playoffs but you're a lot like Luc at the end of his career. Kopi come back healthy. Thanks for everything Zeus. That loss left such a bad taste in my mouth I don't think I want to go to Europe next year.
It's funny right after the game I wasn't pissed, I was just numb. I just sat in my seat staring at the ice. I've been a little down since then, but not really pissed. I know we have a good team, but I also know we'll get better. A lot better. We beat a good team in regulation twice and took them to 3 overtimes. If they hadn't had the bounces they had in the overtime games, we'd be in round 2. It's that close. They only beat us in regulation once. All that and we didn't have our best forward / backchecker. It sucks going through this right now, but I'm confident that we'll be talking about our round 2 match up this time next year.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
It's funny right after the game I wasn't pissed, I was just numb. I just sat in my seat staring at the ice. I've been a little down since then, but not really pissed. I know we have a good team, but I also know we'll get better. A lot better. We beat a good team in regulation twice and took them to 3 overtimes. If they hadn't had the bounces they had in the overtime games, we'd be in round 2. It's that close. They only beat us in regulation once. All that and we didn't have our best forward / backchecker. It sucks going through this right now, but I'm confident that we'll be talking about our round 2 match up this time next year.
I felt the same way, I was a bit pissed after but not as bad as I expected. Losses like this against a veteran team who was considered better and was expected to dominate the series, only builds character. It wasn't an easy series like everyone predicted, the Kings were more than capable of winning the series.

San Jose had lucky bounces but they also had more composure during tough times. The Kings did well without their star-player. I see this loss as lighting the fire under their ***** pushing them to not only be physically in shape but mentally as well.

I also see Doughty coming into camp with a chip on his shoulder, trying to prove that last season was a fluke.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Game 3 hurt the most. Talk about getting your heart ripped out...

We still have a long way to go. Penner certainly didn't make a case for himself, but I am willing to give him his last remaining year to make it up to us, hopefully with a healthy Kopitar throughout the whole way.

Doughty needs to use the offseason to make sure he is fit both physically and mentally, and hopefully his roommate Simmonds does the same. It's sad to see Zeus go, but he has to.

Smyth, I thought, was terrific for us in the playoffs. I am usually one of the first to get on him, but he played hard, fought for us, and produced with little to go on. I don't have much of a problem with him sticking around for another year.

Kompon has to go, and hopefully Murray recognizes that.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Smyth was money in the playoffs, but those last few weeks of the regular season he was on fumes. He found another gear. Keep in mind that this was the first year he played all 82 games. Older + no break time due to injuries = stamina problems.

It'll be interesting to hear the injury report, which I assume will come out today. I've heard that Brown was playing with a fractured or broken wrist. Obviously Williams... I'm sure others.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

Believe me, I've had the same thoughts. But the one thing you aren't taking into the equation is the opponent. The 2011 Kings didn't play the 2010 Kings, they played the 2011 Sharks which are a pretty good team. Just because the Kings lost last year doesn't mean they learn from that next year they blow right past the first round. It is frustrating that they did lose in a similar fashioni.

Go back to the early 90's when Detroit (and by no means am I comparing the Kings to Red Wings) and they were lighting the world on fire in the regular season but struggling in the playoffs. You can't expect it to work overnight. Maybe with a little luck they do advance to the 2nd round but you have to give credit to the opponent. The GM has the difficult job now of identifying what worked and what didn't and how to improve the roster to make the next step so this doesn't become a recurring theme. There is no reason to hit the panic button with "the core" yet because they are still very young. The Sharks have been trying to solve this problem for 10 years now. It isn't exactly a science. It is more of an art and when there are 30 teams in the league and only 1 can win the cup, you are going need some luck and you will experience a lot of failure getting there.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The biggest thing the Kings need to aim for is finishing 1-4 in the standings next season. Part of the reason these series are so difficult is because they're finishing 5-8 and getting match-ups against extremely solid teams. The Kings need to be on the other end of that equation next year. Just a bit more consistency in the regular season will be all it takes.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Smyth was money in the playoffs, but those last few weeks of the regular season he was on fumes. He found another gear. Keep in mind that this was the first year he played all 82 games. Older + no break time due to injuries = stamina problems.

It'll be interesting to hear the injury report, which I assume will come out today. I've heard that Brown was playing with a fractured or broken wrist. Obviously Williams... I'm sure others.
i'm working on a paper today and i've been having trouble keeping up with all the postseason stuff, so i wanna make sure i see this injury report. i'm sure hammond will post it, but are you gonna give it its own thread here? or is it gonna go in this PGT thread?

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The biggest thing the Kings need to aim for is finishing 1-4 in the standings next season. Part of the reason these series are so difficult is because they're finishing 5-8 and getting match-ups against extremely solid teams. The Kings need to be on the other end of that equation next year. Just a bit more consistency in the regular season will be all it takes.
But then we'll have home ice dis-advantage for 4 games

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote