HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jeff Carter "sprained right knee" (April 26 update: could return in Rd. 2; post #87)

Old
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Do you actually prefer Zherdev to Carter? unreal
I don't, and can't see anyone knowledgeable saying that. However, I also don't want to screw up any current chemistry. Put Carter on Richard's wing for now. I know, he doesn't work there, but Zherdev doesn't either, and right now he's clicking a little bit with the young guys.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
They're going to need Carter at some point if they are going to make it all the way. The team is clicking though, so I wouldn't rush him back. The biggest asset to Carter's game, besides the wrister, is his skating. If he can't skate the way he usually does, he's not going to be as effective.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
we produced with Carter too. It's the advantage of having a really deep forward crop that contains 9 top 6 forwards, is that when one is hurt you still have 8 left
They played well with Carter in the lineup, but they didn't "produce."

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
That's because Ryan Miller was amazing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
This team seems to thrive on situations where their backs are completely against the wall. I'd say that the 'producing' in the last few games has more to do with Miller leveling off and the team facing elimination than it does with Carter missing.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
They were leading the series 2-1 when Carter got hurt.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I almost get the feeling folks are alluding that the flyers are better without Carter.
I'm probably reading wrong.
Nobody could be that dense.

Last edited by Cmoneyflyguy: 04-27-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR!
Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I almost get the feeling folks are alluding that the flyers are better without Carter.
I probably am reading wrong.
Welcome to the Flyers' HF board!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

The fact is is that the team won without Carter..... I dont know why that is, and I dont really care. If a dog craps gold bricks, Im not going to question why..... Im just gonna put the bricks in my pocket.

IMO, the chemistry and intensity has looked better after Carter went down. Im not blaming Carter for the teams faults (it is the culmination of many factors), Im just calling a spade a spade.

A coach rides a hot goalie, why cant he ride a hot roster? If the team continues to win there is no reason to rush Carter back.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
duffy9748

[QUOTE=StevensCakeBakerBacker;32715063]The fact is is that the team won without Carter..... I dont know why that is, and I dont really care. If a dog craps gold bricks, Im not going to question why..... Im just gonna put the bricks in my pocket.

IMO, the chemistry and intensity has looked better after Carter went down. Im not blaming Carter for the teams faults (it is the culmination of many factors), Im just calling a spade a spade.

A coach rides a hot goalie, why cant he ride a hot roster? If the team continues to win there is no reason to rush Carter back.[/QUOTE]

You do that if the player out of the lineup is someone like Zherdev. Not your leading goal scorer and one of your best defensive forwards. I'm not even that big of a fan of Carter, but some of the posts on this board are mindboggling. Do you think Detroit is going to keep Zetterberg out until they lose?

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I don't, and can't see anyone knowledgeable saying that. However, I also don't want to screw up any current chemistry. Put Carter on Richard's wing for now. I know, he doesn't work there, but Zherdev doesn't either, and right now he's clicking a little bit with the young guys.
I doubt that Giroux and JVR's would suffer because Carter, our best goal scorer, rejoined them. We've seen Carter on Richard's wing, it doesn't work. Carter played Giroux and JVR most of the season up until he got hurt and they looked pretty damn good.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I'm probably reading wrong.
I think Carter is a great talent, no question.... I wouldnt want to see him traded because his contract is so good. His cap hit makes him too good to trade, IMO. You could sign 2 slightly above average players for Carters cap hit, but they wouldnt be as valuable to a team as having only Carter.

But........................ Carters lackluster playoff showings are becoming tiresome. I dont care WHY he doesnt perform as well in the PS as he does in the RS, I only care that he does or doesnt. Carter has the talent to change my perception in a short amount of time, and he doesnt have to be the best player on the ice (or win a cup) to do so.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
BernieParent

I'd be inclined to move JvR to Richards' line, and have Carter-Giroux-Zherdev. But enough of this small-minded chatter about fringe players like Carter and Pronger: when is Shelley expected back????

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

[QUOTE=duffy9748;32715155]
Quote:
The fact is is that the team won without Carter..... I dont know why that is, and I dont really care. If a dog craps gold bricks, Im not going to question why..... Im just gonna put the bricks in my pocket.

A coach rides a hot goalie, why cant he ride a hot roster? If the team continues to win there is no reason to rush Carter back.[/QUOTE]

You do that if the player out of the lineup is someone like Zherdev. Not your leading goal scorer and one of your best defensive forwards. I'm not even that big of a fan of Carter, but some of the posts on this board are mindboggling. Do you think Detroit is going to keep Zetterberg out until they lose?
Yes, if there is doubt regarding how truly healthy he his.....

Old
04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

[QUOTE=StevensCakeBakerBacker;32715320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post

Yes, if there is doubt regarding how truly healthy he his.....
You do that in the regular season, not the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

[QUOTE=Beef Invictus;32715338]
Quote:

You do that in the regular season, not the playoffs.
Pronger?

Old
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

[QUOTE=StevensCakeBakerBacker;32715378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Pronger?
He's back, yes. I'm glad he's back.

What's your point, exactly? That he shouldn't be playing until he's 100% healthy? Thank the heavens that Gagne didn't do that last year.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd be inclined to move JvR to Richards' line, and have Carter-Giroux-Zherdev. But enough of this small-minded chatter about fringe players like Carter and Pronger: when is Shelley expected back????
I would be happy with Z/G and Carter. The great thing about this team is they've been getting switched around in the playoffs and doing well. Lavi had G and Briere together at one point because if one got tossed from the circle, the other could take the faceoff. When you have so many guys who can do so much it's awesome. Think about it, G, Briere and Carter can all play C or RW with no problems. Richie could shift to LW if he had to, like he did with Team Canada. We're really lucky to have so much talent and versatility along with the experience from last year and a wicked defence which takes the focus off the occasional bad gaoltending performance.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

One thing is for sure..the offense is going to have to work even more and they will need depth. How they fit Carter back in is secondary to how he fits in and if he and his line produce. We'll definitely need more than one PP goal between Richards and Carter that is for sure..especially against a deep team like Boston who matches up well against us. The Buffalo series turned out to be a game of inches unnecessarily thanks in big part to the goaltending (theirs and ours) and the PP initially. The next series especially if they face Boston will be one of centimeters. Lack of scoring, not taking advantage of the PP and piss poor goaltending will def be difficult to overcome...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

[QUOTE=Beef Invictus;32715412]
Quote:

He's back, yes. I'm glad he's back.

What's your point, exactly? That he shouldn't be playing until he's 100% healthy? Thank the heavens that Gagne didn't do that last year.

My point is that Pronger came back when it was apparent the team needed him.... At this point the team is showing that they can win without Carter risking further injury to the knee.

* I dont know why the quotes are showing as being from me.... Looks like I am arguing with myself.*

Old
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
One thing is for sure..the offense is going to have to work even more and they will need depth. How they fit Carter back in is secondary to how he fits in and if he and his line produce.
Fits in? He's missed THREE games. It's not like they've forgot how to play with the guy. A healthy Carter makes the team better and he was playing well before he got hurt, these Carter debates are so silly.

Production wise I think Richie did okay, he got what...5 assists? Carter had a goal and an assist in 3 games. Nothing to gripe about to me.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
phillyfanatic

I read that someone doesn't want Carter back due to chemistry which made me sad. Then someone else said they prefer Zherdev to Carter which made me mad. Which made me think this thread has gotten bad. So I opened up NHL.com on my Ipad and found Carter was the Flyers top scorer this year, thats not bad. I know the playoffs change things a tad, but wouldn't we want Carter if he could be had?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

[QUOTE=StevensCakeBakerBacker;32715769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

My point is that Pronger came back when it was apparent the team needed him.... At this point the team is showing that they can win without Carter risking further injury to the knee.

* I dont know why the quotes are showing as being from me.... Looks like I am arguing with myself.*
haha, I actually thought "look at this weirdo quoting his own...wait a minute."

edit: oh.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Clearly this thread has denigrated when "someone" resorts to simplistic cat in the hat retorts as a rebuttal .....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Clearly this thread has denigrated when "someone" resorts to simplistic cat in the hat retorts as a rebuttal .....
Just trying to stoop down to the intellectual level of the thread! Do we want Carter back? OF COURSE WE DO!!!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote