HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
I don't want Richards.

He's going to be 31 years old in a week. His play dropped off significantly after signing his last contract. He didn't even return to a point-per-game player until he started playing under Crawford.

More than likely he's just going to be the next Drury/Gomez. Expensive, big name UFAs rarely pan out.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Who's advocating trading Bernier? You're right goalie prospects don't have the most value, but would you pass on the chance to get Parise/Carter type player in favor of keeping him? I love Bernier but if he was the difference in getting that level of player or not, I could put all my faith in Quick.
Well obviously you are advocating trading Bernier if the right conditions are met. A guy afew posts above your's was as well. I've seen it on here regularly and in trade proposals. I was trying to search the thread for more examples but for some reason the search function isn't working for me.

I suppose if that is the return than you have to consider it but I personally would be very reluctant to give up either goalie until you are very confident you are keeping the right one. You are also giving up a potential top 6 center and a great bottom 6 type player in your idea which I'm not sure if that is a great move. I get that you have to give to get but the Kings have come a long way building from within. If I was the GM, i wouldn't be offering Bernier in ANY scenario but if the other GM was demanding him in a trade for a blue chip player, yeah you have to consider it. I still wouldn't be confident that is a good move but you do have to take risks. I cringe at the thought of Bernier going on to be a more successful goalie than Quick somewhere else.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Another thing I keep seeing is Smyth to Edmonton. What part of Ryan Smyth's history suggests he wants to go waste a way on a young team that is still rebuilding? I'm not trying to knock the Oilers but Smyth is at the twilight of his career, he might not get another contract after next season, why in the hell would he waive his NTC to go fade off into the sunset in Edmonton? That makes zero sense and on top of that, why in the hell would the Oilers want him? If they wanted him, they could have upped the ante $250k a year when he was traded at the deadline to the Islanders years ago. Yeah sure it sounds cool like when Rob Blake came back to LA to surf and play some hockey on the side but something tells me that Ryan Smyth wants to actually win something before he calls it quits.

I'm certainly no hockey expert but it seems like some of these ideas can be put to rest with a little logic and reason.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
[QUOTE=Buddy The Elf;32717926]Another thing I keep seeing is Smyth to Edmonton. What part of Ryan Smyth's history suggests he wants to go waste a way on a young team that is still rebuilding? QUOTE]

Edmonton is gonna contend for the cupz this years!

We just hope Smyth is stupid enough? idk

Old
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Another thing I keep seeing is Smyth to Edmonton. What part of Ryan Smyth's history suggests he wants to go waste a way on a young team that is still rebuilding? I'm not trying to knock the Oilers but Smyth is a the twilight of his career, he might not get another contract after next season, why in the hell would he waive his NTC to go fade off into the sunset in Edmonton? That makes zero sense and on top of that, why in the hell would the Oilers want him? If they wanted him, they could have upped the ante $250k a year when he was traded at the deadline to the Islanders years ago. Yeah sure it sounds cool like when Rob Blake came back to LA to surf and play some hockey on the side but something tells me that Ryan Smyth wants to actually win something before he calls it quits.

I'm certainly no hockey expert but it seems like some of these ideas can be put to rest with a little logic and reason.
Agree. And if I was Edmonton, why not wait a year and sign Smyth to a minimum contract if he wants to go back at all? The Oilers won't be contenders with or without him next year. From a straight business perspective, that $4 million they would be spending on Smyth could be put to much better use elsewhere.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Another thing I keep seeing is Smyth to Edmonton. What part of Ryan Smyth's history suggests he wants to go waste a way on a young team that is still rebuilding? I'm not trying to knock the Oilers but Smyth is at the twilight of his career, he might not get another contract after next season, why in the hell would he waive his NTC to go fade off into the sunset in Edmonton? That makes zero sense and on top of that, why in the hell would the Oilers want him? If they wanted him, they could have upped the ante $250k a year when he was traded at the deadline to the Islanders years ago. Yeah sure it sounds cool like when Rob Blake came back to LA to surf and play some hockey on the side but something tells me that Ryan Smyth wants to actually win something before he calls it quits.
Or that the Kings will buy Smyth out. Has there been any indication that it's something the Kings are even thinking about? Especially with Schenn possibly making the team, and those two seemed to have a bit of a bond.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Well obviously you are advocating trading Bernier if the right conditions are met. A guy afew posts above your's was as well. I've seen it on here regularly and in trade proposals. I was trying to search the thread for more examples but for some reason the search function isn't working for me.

I suppose if that is the return than you have to consider it but I personally would be very reluctant to give up either goalie until you are very confident you are keeping the right one. You are also giving up a potential top 6 center and a great bottom 6 type player in your idea which I'm not sure if that is a great move. I get that you have to give to get but the Kings have come a long way building from within. If I was the GM, i wouldn't be offering Bernier in ANY scenario but if the other GM was demanding him in a trade for a blue chip player, yeah you have to consider it. I still wouldn't be confident that is a good move but you do have to take risks. I cringe at the thought of Bernier going on to be a more successful goalie than Quick somewhere else.
I think there's a difference in advocating trading JB, and being ok with sending him east for a player of Parise's caliber (which of course isn't going to happen). I still think JB could be our guy. I just think JQ is good enough to risk it, only for a player like Parise. Richards would be great but IMO he isn't worth the years and money he will get. So I trying to decide if was ok with trading BS and or JB to get a star forward. And I'm still not sure. But I like thinking about it at work.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Just a technical question for the CBA professionals here.
Smyth waived his NMC. Doesn't that mean he doesn't have one anymore ?

Well if still have the NMC, section 319 would feel pretty good at the end of a hockey career.
We can get rid of him anyways.

That brings me back to the topic.

The only change i would do is to trade for someone like Kostopolous to replace Westgarth.
And of course we have to let Handzus walk and trade Stoll away.

Moller - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Richardson - Brown
Parse - Schenn/Loktionov - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Kostopolous

Old
04-27-2011, 02:36 PM
LombardiTool

All of a sudden I wake up today and hear Doan's name. Crazy rumors.

Now, is it just me or does Doan and Smyth seem like a wash?

Old
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
fyrescorp

I may be crazy and the only one who thinks this, but, I think Kyle Clifford finds a scoring touch in the next 2 years and makes a run at the top 6. Love that kid.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:39 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Just a technical question for the CBA professionals here.
Smyth waived his NMC. Doesn't that mean he doesn't have one anymore ?

Well if still have the NMC, section 319 would feel pretty good at the end of a hockey career.
We can get rid of him anyways.

That brings me back to the topic.

The only change i would do is to trade for someone like Kostopolous to replace Westgarth.
And of course we have to let Handzus walk and trade Stoll away.

Moller - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Richardson - Brown
Parse - Schenn/Loktionov - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Kostopolous
Trade Stoll and let Handzus walk? Not play Smyth?

You only need to sign Peter Worrell because your proposed fantasy team needs more PIM to win the category!

Old
04-27-2011, 03:02 PM
bobafettish*

[QUOTE=Cook24;32717981]
Quote:
Another thing I keep seeing is Smyth to Edmonton. What part of Ryan Smyth's history suggests he wants to go waste a way on a young team that is still rebuilding? QUOTE]

Edmonton is gonna contend for the cupz this years!

We just hope Smyth is stupid enough? idk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desNN...eature=related

Old
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
RightKinger

Richards would be sick. Speed! Doesn't matter where but some more speed in the lineup would be one of my hopes for this offseason. A veteran defensive forward maybe if we let Zus walk and if the Kings don't get Richards a top 9 winger that can possibly fill in on the second line or maybe just a top 6 winger .

FROLOV!?

Old
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
sjmay*

Was batting this around on another board this morning....

We know we our deep with players, F, D, G, not saying how talented they are, but we are chock full of players and are in danger of choking off the pipeline, so to speak...

I've made it clear I think trading Simmonds is a good thing,

Anyone think Toronto would do this?

Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, for Kulemin?

We might have to take a salary back just to waive etc or bury on the farm, but that gives us a talented, speedy, two way forward who scored 30 goals this past year playing with freaking Grabovski.

I would then go after a Steve Sullivan, Chris Clark, or Mike Knuble, and our line up would be this,

Kulemin - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Penner - Lotkionov - Knuble/Sullivan/Clark
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Martinez
Scuderi - Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin

Parse, Moller, Westgarth all start on the farm, maybe keep Parse up as the 13th...

That gives us the ability to be a 4 line deep team, that could roll any line out there at any time and be a threat, and still be defensively sound.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
SuperAlmeida

helenenothelen Helene Elliott
Terry murray says he wants unrestricted. free agents Handzus and Ponikarovsky to return next season...yeah you read that right on Poni.

helenenothelen Helene Elliott
Terry Murray also says next step for Kings is to have home ice in playoffs next season. Penner will be told ahem to improve his fitness

Old
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Schenn as the #2 center? At 20? No way. I would rather see Loktionov.

Similar to Kovalchuk last season, Richards just makes too much sense for the Kings to actually happen. It would get the target off of Kopitar's back to be the whole offense and it would allow him to see lower pairing defenseman. Richards-Kopitar-Stoll-Lewis down the middle would be magical. Loktionov and Schenn available for injuries.

Sucks that Richards won't sign with LA, because he is the only player I see being able to improve the Kings with Murray at coach. Schenn would not last as the #2 center and Stoll would be back in the top 6 by the end of October.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't think about July 1st again. You think we would learn.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i know we like to aim low to avoid disapointments..but there is zero chance the team returns next year with the same forward group. there will be an addition or 3, but no way the same group returns.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
RightKinger

Pretty sure Penner will be slimmer next season he'll be in Socal all summer so he'll hit the beaches feel good and workout. Hopefully he doesn't stuff his face with In N Out. Keep him away from Doughty. Think about it would you want to go on a run or anything if you were in freezing cold weather practically all year long.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
i know we like to aim low to avoid disapointments..but there is zero chance the team returns next year with the same forward group. there will be an addition or 3, but no way the same group returns.
But will they be lateral moves? More Poni/Sturm moves? Those don't really improve the team, just changes them.

I think most of the team will be set at the draft, that is when Dean will make his moves. With the team going to Europe, they will want the team set earlier.

Old
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
You know what they say
"Don't aim for the stars, you might miss, better to aim for the gutter and hope it gets deflected and hits a star"

Old
04-27-2011, 04:05 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
No love for my boy Holloway? Voted MVP, most improved, fan favorite in Man this year?

I think he has a very good chance to make the team this year coming up if they decide to qualify him. Think they will? Or let him walk after 3 pro seasons? We would gladly take him from you guys. I think hes going to be the next (Boyle, Moulson, Purcell)?
Holloway and Smyth for a second round pick?

Old
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Was batting this around on another board this morning....

We know we our deep with players, F, D, G, not saying how talented they are, but we are chock full of players and are in danger of choking off the pipeline, so to speak...

I've made it clear I think trading Simmonds is a good thing,

Anyone think Toronto would do this?

Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, for Kulemin?

We might have to take a salary back just to waive etc or bury on the farm, but that gives us a talented, speedy, two way forward who scored 30 goals this past year playing with freaking Grabovski.

I would then go after a Steve Sullivan, Chris Clark, or Mike Knuble, and our line up would be this,

Kulemin - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Penner - Lotkionov - Knuble/Sullivan/Clark
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Martinez
Scuderi - Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin

Parse, Moller, Westgarth all start on the farm, maybe keep Parse up as the 13th...

That gives us the ability to be a 4 line deep team, that could roll any line out there at any time and be a threat, and still be defensively sound.
Just a massive overpayment to me.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Schenn as the #2 center? At 20? No way. I would rather see Loktionov.

Similar to Kovalchuk last season, Richards just makes too much sense for the Kings to actually happen. It would get the target off of Kopitar's back to be the whole offense and it would allow him to see lower pairing defenseman. Richards-Kopitar-Stoll-Lewis down the middle would be magical. Loktionov and Schenn available for injuries.

Sucks that Richards won't sign with LA, because he is the only player I see being able to improve the Kings with Murray at coach. Schenn would not last as the #2 center and Stoll would be back in the top 6 by the end of October.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't think about July 1st again. You think we would learn.
The nice thing about Richards is that he can play wing when Schenn is ready to take over a top 6 C role.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Huge overpayment. If I was going to trade Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, I'd hope to get a better player than Kulemin.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Maybe, but not as massive as you think,

Kulemin is 24 I believe, a 30 goal scorer, and great defensively.

We give up Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, all 3 are immediately replaceable by kids in the system that we WANT to be playing next year, Stoll would be the hardest replace due to his faceoff, but you are removing what, 5-6 million in salary, getting back 2 million, and gaining a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is defensively sound...

Closed Thread