HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's what Dru did not do in the series with the Caps that is ending his tenure with the team. A clutch goal or two, a key face off win leading to a goal or anything like that and we're having a different discussion here....maybe.

Torts is saying what's real. Dru is saying what he has to. Either way he's done with the Rangers, imo.

Pretty sad. The only thing sadder would be repeating the mistake of going out and adding more players at inflated prices. It never works...or at least I can't think of a time when it has.
It's not what Drury didn't do, it's what the organization didn't do. They've failed for a couple of years now to place him in position to provide any sort of offense. So they shouldn't be expecting clutch goals from him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Torts neutered Drury!

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
manifesty

Any chance Drury retires/gets buyed out and stays with the organization? Burke was onto something when he kept Drury on the team in a leadership role. Sure, at what Drury is costing us he wouldn't be as beneficial on the ice as expected. But he is a leader. He is our captain currently, and Torts/the team obviously thinks he can command the locker room. Any chance he stays as an assistant coach? Or something within the organization?

Gotta groom more than one future. Drury knows hockey, and seems like he would like to stick around the game. I, personally, would be okay with this. Same thing should be done for past-greats, and other players that played for us in the past. If they're hockey-intelligent, keep that brain power in the organization.

manifesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Orr Nightmare

High marks, I didn’t expect him to back, I’m so happy he scored that goal (against the Devils),” Tortorella said. “You watch him in the playoffs, it’s a bit of a struggle. He tried like hell but he slowed down. You look at where does he fit. He’s an older guy.

I asked whether the respect Drury has within the organization, from his teammates, from Tortorella, and the things he brings as a captain are part of the evaluation process when it comes to determining whether to bring Drury back for the last season of his contract.

“Intangibles always come into evaluating,” Tortorella said. “You just can’t let the intangibles override other things, too. Dru and I have a great relationship. We’ve been very honest with one another. Dru is getting older. That’s why he has this chronic knee and it’s amazing he was able to come back when he did. But we have to make decisions for what’s best for the organization moving on.”

Torts basically just told Drury he is not welcomed back...now, he can asked to be traded or he can retire with dignity or continue to collect his check because that is all he cares about...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Poozer

I'm sure its been said... but we ought to really stop bashing Drury for only caring about collecting his ~5 million dollars.

Is there *anyone* on this board who would quit the job that they loved (because Drury clearly does love hockey) and pass up $5mil? I think not. If he passes up the money, he loses out on hockey too, since he doesn't seem the type to play in Russia, and for that I can't blame him.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's not what Drury didn't do, it's what the organization didn't do. They've failed for a couple of years now to place him in position to provide any sort of offense. So they shouldn't be expecting clutch goals from him.
I think it would have been worth a shot to give him some more PP time in front of the net the last couple of seasons, but I think his injuries and obvious skill decline (could be argued that this was mostly caused by his injuries) really derailed any chance he had of that. I remember in camp this year hearing he was in pretty good shape and skating well, I wonder if he didn't break his hand in preseason and stayed fairly healthy otherwise what his stats would've looked like.

I mean a lot of people were rough on him his first 2 years, but he put up typical Drury seasons. If the team was better offensively (and had a better powerplay) he would have been in the 30 goal, 60-65 point range. Still, a quick Hockey-reference.com query shows him 22nd in the league in powerplay goals his first 2 years ahead of people like:

Datsyuk
Perry
D. Sedin
Jeff Carter
Vinny L.
Kane
Elias
Hossa
Marleau
Alfredsson
St. Louis
Nash

In the end though, I just can't see any place for him on this team next year, praying for the retirement, banking on the buyout.

PP Goal data below if anybody is interested
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...er_by=goals_pp

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Mason530

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
lol...

"Hey Chris, please retire and we'll pay you 5 million to be a 'scout'. So let us know if any good players come into your pizza place.
Thanks,
Glen"
Let's expand the job descriptions a bit: scout, community development, in studio analyst and practice instructor.

Yeah, sign him a contract for $5 million after he retires from his pro-contract.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
Let's expand the job descriptions a bit: scout, community development, in studio analyst and practice instructor.

Yeah, sign him a contract for $5 million after he retires from his pro-contract.
I hear he produces much better pizza than offense.

Add Pizza Chef to the job description.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Of course Drury makes an absurd amount of money. So do all professional athletes for that matter. What difference does that make? I'm sure Jaime would be thrilled if you walked away from a $5 million dollar a year contract because everybody else thinks it's for the good of the company. If anybody here says that they would walk away from that kind of money then they are flat out lying and that's all there is to it so to ask Drury to do the same is hypocritical, that's all I'm saying.
I get that dude...but it has nothing to do with "providing for his family" at this point..He's made enough money to provide for his family for 15 generations. It's probably more about pride at this point with Drury. He may not want to walk away from the game like this, and at this age. And that is understandable. But that doesn't mean Sather should not approach him about it.

And I don't wanna speak for my wife, but if I made the kind of money Drury made, but my better days were behind me, and my performance at "X" company was falling off considerably, and I wanted to walk away with my pride intact, I think she would absolutely understand and support that. Money is important, but it is not everything.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

If drury wants his money, waive that NMC and ride the bus in Hartford...

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I get that dude...but it has nothing to do with "providing for his family" at this point..He's made enough money to provide for his family for 15 generations. It's probably more about pride at this point with Drury. He may not want to walk away from the game like this, and at this age. And that is understandable. But that doesn't mean Sather should not approach him about it.

And I don't wanna speak for my wife, but if I made the kind of money Drury made, but my better days were behind me, and my performance at "X" company was falling off considerably, and I wanted to walk away with my pride intact, I think she would absolutely understand and support that. Money is important, but it is not everything.
If I add my 2 cents as "the wife"...

Drury has more than enough money in the bank to provide for his family on probably the interest alone.

If things aren't working out and it's his "time to go", I would fully support his decision.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
If I add my 2 cents as "the wife"...

Drury has more than enough money in the bank to provide for his family by probably the interest alone.

If things aren't working out and it's his "time to go", I would fully support his decision.
Not only does he have more than enough money in the bank to provide for his family, but the NY Rangers have overpaid him MASSIVELY the last four year. Before next year, he will have collected $30.25m from the Rangers for four seasons that consisted of a mere 62 goals and 89 assists (151 points). He has been paid $487,903 per goal as a New York Rangers.

Yes, Sather offered him the contract and it is his right to be paid under it, but considering how much he has failed to live up to that contract, an argument could certainly be made that the honorable thing to do would be to cut bait, retire/void the contract, and allow the Rangers to improve their team.

Essentially, the $30.25m he's collected from the Rangers in his four years has been a massive overpayment. Given the likelihood that he is going to be bought out, voiding the contract/retiring, and not bleeding them for the final $5m he is owed would be quite honorable.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Drury goes if Dolan-Sather goes !

Win, win, win.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
mullichicken25

i will be completly flabergasted if drury retires

if he thought he was done he never would have come back for the playoffs

the dude can still play hockey and he knows it, not worthy of his salary but thats not his fault

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i will be completly flabergasted if drury retires

if he thought he was done he never would have come back for the playoffs

the dude can still play hockey and he knows it, not worthy of his salary but thats not his fault
Yeah, he could be very very useful somewhere else, but who wants to pay for that? Hey Detroit! LOL

Anyway, so where's the great 85 going now? Hopefully he'll be a Jet, Giant, or Bear!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
ocarina

I don't blame Drury at all if he wanted to come back. He negotiated and earned that contract, I don't think he signed it with the intention that he wouldn't finish it.

Obviously, things would be ideal if he decided to retire, but another 5 mil is tough to pass up. For everyone saying he has enough money, I think if you were faced with a decision to walk away from 5 mil, it would be a tougher decision then you think.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I don't blame Drury at all if he wanted to come back. He negotiated and earned that contract, I don't think he signed it with the intention that he wouldn't finish it.

Obviously, things would be ideal if he decided to retire, but another 5 mil is tough to pass up. For everyone saying he has enough money, I think if you were faced with a decision to walk away from 5 mil, it would be a tougher decision then you think.
Not saying it wouldn't be a tough decision to walk away from that kind of money, cause I'm sure it would be. And yes, I'm sure your mentality changes when you have that kind of money. But there still players with different mentalities then others. Someone like Dury, I would think would be more likely to know when his time was up, and to walk away then someone like, say, Terrell Owens. I would never expect a guy like him to walk away from that kind of money, cause he has proven himself to be selfish, greedy, and all about the benjamins. Someone like Drury is different. He is classier, and of a different mentality then a T.O. But maybe I'm wrong, we shall certainly see.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:09 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Yeah, he could be very very useful somewhere else, but who wants to pay for that? Hey Detroit! LOL

Anyway, so where's the great 85 going now? Hopefully he'll be a Jet, Giant, or Bear!
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a patriot honestly...I think he's still better than people think and will have a solid year wherever he ends up playing, remember he's a free agent next season so he's playing for a contract

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
SickNice

He is NOT retiring. From Andrew Gross, not sure why the previous poster ignored the last sentance...

"Chris Drury said going into a contract year does not weigh on his mind and it never has. When asked about his diminishing role with the Rangers, he said he’s fine with it and willing to do anything to help the team win. He did say he wanted to play a few more seasons."

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I do think Drury retiring is a pipe-dream. That doesn't mean we have to suffer him or his full cap hit next year. In Sather We Trust.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
He is NOT retiring. From Andrew Gross, not sure why the previous poster ignored the last sentance...

"Chris Drury said going into a contract year does not weigh on his mind and it never has. When asked about his diminishing role with the Rangers, he said he’s fine with it and willing to do anything to help the team win. He did say he wanted to play a few more seasons."

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/
But he also said he wanted to help the team win. And that means him not playing on it.

So logically this is where we're at: In order to satisfy both of those conditions, Drury must either 1) waive his NMC for another NHL team, 2) waive his NMC and play with his buddy Redden in Hartford or 3) nullify his contract and play in Europe or something.

Those options allow him to help the team win and let him keep playing a few more seasons.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
But he also said he wanted to help the team win. And that means him not playing on it.

So logically this is where we're at: In order to satisfy both of those conditions, Drury must either 1) waive his NMC for another NHL team, 2) waive his NMC and play with his buddy Redden in Hartford or 3) nullify his contract and play in Europe or something.

Those options allow him to help the team win and let him keep playing a few more seasons.
Actually, he said he would "do ANYTHING to win!"

Well Chris, for this team to win, you need to retire.

No take-backs.

Old
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The scary thing is we could be having a similar thread years from now if Sather signs Richards to a long-term deal and he also falls off badly at the end. No one can predict exactly when a player's age is going to break him down, but it's something to think about when handing out these long-term, big money contracts.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
McMonster

I honestly do not even think he's contemplating retiring yet.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
The scary thing is we could be having a similar thread years from now if Sather signs Richards to a long-term deal and he also falls off badly at the end. No one can predict exactly when a player's age is going to break him down, but it's something to think about when handing out these long-term, big money contracts.
But there's breaking down and then there's Drury. If he was putting up 40+ points (something I can easily see Richards do as an older player) then I don't think it's far fetched to imagine that teams near the cap floor would be ok taking on his $5m salary.

Provide there isn't a full NMC (damn you Slats!) of course

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote