HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Players in the World Championships

Old
04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'll ask one more time. Anyone know where the TV schedule is?
wondering this myself

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
kausatoday Kevin Allen
Team USA also adding New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh to its roster for the World Championships.
Nice

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/JimCerny/stat...66038387630080

Time for Stepan and McD to lobby Kreider on the merits of turning pro
The best thing that can come out of this tournament, AFAIC.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:34 AM
TigerJack

Zuccs is actually in the norwegian roster for the championships. Just in case he miraculously recovers fast.....

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

is Sauer gonna play for USA??? im really surprised that he isnt on the roster, unless the Rangers told him not to go...

what about Fedotenko for Urkane???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Worth noting is that Sauer and Boyle are both RFAs.

04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Frolov was already there when he got to NY

Sorry, another bad example by you.

Keep trying
Murray killed Frolov's career, not Torts. He declared Boyle a bust too. If you think it is all player's fault and coach just out there to help, fine with me. Many people think that way. I know different.
It is a risk for Kreider to rush with the decision. No one cares about you out there. They all care about themselves. Once you're pro, there is no way back. You may end up great. But, if you got hurt or just too slow in coming to the right level, or psychopath Torts just happen to dislike you for some unknown reason you may be done. Talent is not valued in NY anymore. That is the latest fact. Once you sold yourself out, they are in control, not you.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That's just not true. When BB was drafted he was just raw size. Even after improving his skating with Underhill, he's still not nearly as fast as Kreider right now. There's a big difference between Kreider and Boyle skill and potential wise, regardless of the fact that they were both mid-first round picks.
No one draft a size in 1st round. Boyle was a freaking scoring machine, he ruled NCAA with 1.25 PPG. Skating lessons story is a PR. Many players do that. His time just came, large players need more patience. Rangers have no patience, no one has in current NHL. Kreider should have known that. BC wouldn't rush him in, only to discard, if something doesn't work out.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No one draft a size in 1st round. Boyle was a freaking scoring machine, he ruled NCAA with 1.25 PPG. Skating lessons story is a PR. Many players do that. His time just came, large players need more patience. Rangers have no patience, no one has in current NHL. Kreider should have known that. BC wouldn't rush him in, only to discard, if something doesn't work out.
Not until his junior and senior year. He was absolutely, positively, 100% picked based on his size.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Skating lessons story is a PR. Many players do that. His time just came, large players need more patience.
bulllllllllllll****

a large amount of Boyle's success came from his improved skating, which came from the skating lessons. yes many players will do it and some get better and some don't, but Boyle obviously improved a lot in that department after those lessons and it obviously helped his game a lot. He was able to get a lot more quality chances and that led to more goals

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
Norwegian newspaper (VG.no) reports that Zuccarello is included in the norwegian roster for the WC. His hand was broken last week so this is a surprise. Maybe the injury was not so bad after all.
Or they really really really need him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
TreeSapLlama

Kreider just scored to tie the exhibition game with Austria 2 - 2

http://liveticker.laola1.at/eishocke...res/14018.html

Can't comment as to the quality as i'm not watching the game.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
GrizMint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Kreider just scored to tie the exhibition game with Austria 2 - 2

http://liveticker.laola1.at/eishocke...res/14018.html

Can't comment as to the quality as i'm not watching the game.
According to HockeyDog on the GDT thread..
"Austrian defender fumbles the puck round the hashmarks. Kreider gets it and is alone in front of the goalie. Buries it easily top left."

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
bulllllllllllll****

a large amount of Boyle's success came from his improved skating, which came from the skating lessons. yes many players will do it and some get better and some don't, but Boyle obviously improved a lot in that department after those lessons and it obviously helped his game a lot. He was able to get a lot more quality chances and that led to more goals
No offense Levitate, but in this instance I happend to agree 100% with 94.

What does a hockeyplayer do sumertime if not work on improving his skating?

Sometimes a player just have a big flaw, and then he can take a big step in a summer. All kids basically except the few extremes improve their skating a lot these days in their early years, you could do so much with your abs and leg's et c.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
GrizMint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Sometimes a player just have a big flaw, and then he can take a big step in a summer. All kids basically except the few extremes improve their skating a lot these days in their early years, you could do so much with your abs and leg's et c.
The thing with Boyle is he did not only improve his skating.... he changed his entire stride. I forget what they said on MSG but each stride was like 30% more efficient. Thats a crazy number

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Zil

Quote:
Boyle wasn't drafted on his NCAA prowess either seeing as that happened after he was drafted. If you can't see the difference in potential between Kreider and Boyle, then I don't know what to tell you. Kreider's speed now blows Boyle's speed out of the water. Kreider's shot is better too. Kreider's ceiling is way higher. Whether or not he hits that ceiling is debatable, but the potential is there.

Signing Kreider wouldn't be rushing him. There's a reason he's playing in the World Championships for the second year in a row as an amateur. He's physically ready for professional hockey and he needs to get as much game action as possible. The AHL would be much, much better for his development than staying at BC.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
"Austrian defender fumbles the puck round the hashmarks. Kreider gets it and is alone in front of the goalie. Buries it easily top left."
That's my boy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
I hope we sign him this summer

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
That's my boy.
All the kid does is score big goals.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I don't get what you're saying here. 94 was saying that Boyle's success this year didn't have anything to do with his skating or the work he did over the summer, it's just that he spontaneously "developed" over the summer and had a breakout year.

I'm saying there was a noticeable difference in Boyle's skating this year compared to last, and it helped him a lot when it came to having the year he did. I do think people are going a little nuts with the whole "omg send everyone to Barb Underhill she'll make them all awesome skaters!" but in Boyle's case it really did help. Doesn't mean it'll help for everyone. (maybe this is the key point that wasn't being made clear? Of course not everyone will benefit from skating instructions, but this is one case that a player did). I believe there was an article about it that even said most hockey players are somewhat skeptical about training with skaters because they worry about changing their stride too much or doing something unfamiliar will screw up their game. But again, you can see a difference in Boyle's stride, and yes in his stability while skating that has to do with core muscles (which is something Barb Underhill identified as a problem with Boyle and worked with him to correct) and he benefited from those changes.

Sooooo...I dunno what to say. Boyle just didn't magically get better. He addressed a part of his game, regardless of how he did it, and he benefited from it.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Boyle wasn't drafted on his NCAA prowess either seeing as that happened after he was drafted. If you can't see the difference in potential between Kreider and Boyle, then I don't know what to tell you. Kreider's speed now blows Boyle's speed out of the water. Kreider's shot is better too. Kreider's ceiling is way higher. Whether or not he hits that ceiling is debatable, but the potential is there.

Signing Kreider wouldn't be rushing him. There's a reason he's playing in the World Championships for the second year in a row as an amateur. He's physically ready for professional hockey and he needs to get as much game action as possible. The AHL would be much, much better for his development than staying at BC.
I agree with most and stand corrected as his NCAA stats were irrelevant to draft.
Kreider is a better pick, yes, but not so dramatically better to discount my Boyle-Kreider comparison. No one is drafted as a potential 4th liner, not even in later rounds. Players end up there. I doubt should Boyle turned pro earlier or have taken skating lessons at younger age would dramatically change his carrer. I think the inner program is a predicament for most. Thus, you have to turn pro at you best. On the other hand, certain changes may be very positive. Sure AHL is a better experience since it is better league. Yet playing tehre may ruin your confidence if you jump in too early. Grachev could confim. May be Boyle should stay in BC for another season, who knows. May be Kreider should jump to AHL, may be not. The point being, fans tend to see player as an entry to Fantasy Hockey, not a person that has a life to live. What benefit did Boyle have playing for Manchester, ha? As opposed to continue in BC, I want to know that.

Last edited by 94now: 04-28-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old
04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
What benefit did Boyle have playing for Manchester, ha? As opposed to continue in BC, I want to know that.
He played 4 years of college hockey so he used up all his NCAA eligibility and had to graduate/move on to the AHL

Sooooo he had no choice to continue playing at BC

Old
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He played 4 years of college hockey so I'm pretty sure he used up all his NCAA eligibility and had to graduate/move on to the AHL

Sooooo he had no choice to continue playing at BC
Thanks. Kreider does have that. So why should he lose his dominance, his fun, his degree? To cover Sather's mistakes resulted in empy Rangers pipeline? Or to save Torts job due to lack of capable top6 forwards on his roster? Or to entertain boredom affected fans? I don't think conversations with Ranger palyers at WC could help. Sathers talks to his agent should do more. They need him more than he needs Rangers at this point.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Levitate

Money, prestige, etc.

Not insignificant reasons and ones that influence many, many college athletes to turn pro.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Being an NCAA hockey player is a hell of a lot of fun. Depending on what you are studying, the schooling can be alright as well.

But I think you'll find, if you go around and individually ask current NCAA guys, that the money (especially considering the bonuses of a 1st round pick) is often huge in affecting their decision.

Rangers need Kreider? Sure. But if they make it clear to him that he is needed, and will very likely be earning pro salary, he would go.

If you ask me, Chris isn't confident in his ability to make the NHL roster full time next season. And I think he'd take NCAA over AHL. In that light, the longer he stays, the better chance he'll be making pro buck all the years of his ELC.

Doesn't display a ton of self confidence, but that is my hypothesis.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote