HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
LA loves Gabby. How about Gabby for Jack Johnson. I will even throw in our 1st rd pick this year.
No. Im sick of defensemen. This team needs a pure goal scorer.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
yes. someone who is capable of 100 points.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
mullichicken25

trading him after one bad year is completely ludacris

you dont trade a player like gaborik unless your damn sure hes NEVER getting back to form, and in that case you're just trying to cut your losses and shed that salary

best case senerio for trading him this offseason is that you get someone who's value is equal to that of gaborik last season...why not just hold on to gaborik who could still absolutely be a 40-50 goal scorer?

i get it, we're all mad that he crapped the bed this season, but dont be ridiculous, if he's the same or worse next season (thus showing that the gaborik of old is likely no more) you have to consider moving him....but keep in mind your not getting much of anything in return

i gaurentee this board would have traded both Ovechkin and Kovalchuk at some point this season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I agree that Gaborik's season has an aberration. I think next season he'll put up his numbers again. Also he will fade as the games get important, and not make any of the players around him better. he is not a gamer, I've seen him skate by the crease and take a passing stab at the puck far too many times to call him that.

And yeah, he is mentally weak, and no, he is not a big game performer. bring up his first playoff season, all you want. I'll take it even further, in his first 13 games he had 9 goals and 8 assists. I watched him a lot, he was great. nothing like Gaborik in a big game now. anyways, since that, he's put up 4 goals and 3 assists in 21 playoff games. real clutch performer.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
best case senerio for trading him this offseason is that you get someone who's value is equal to that of gaborik last season...why not just hold on to gaborik who could still absolutely be a 40-50 goal scorer?
or maybe you get someone who doesn't have the 80-90 point potential that Gaborik has, but can contribute to a winning team. that's my best case.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
or maybe you get someone who doesn't have the 80-90 point potential that Gaborik has, but can contribute to a winning team. that's my best case.
And in that scenario the team adds yet another redundant piece and is still horribly deprived of top end talent

We have depth, we desperately need top end skill, in no way shape or form does trading gaborik right now get us any closer to getting that

Like it or not, holding on to gaborik, trying to get him a center, and hoping he gets back to form is our best move if we want a chance of making this team a contender in the next couple of years

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
And in that scenario the team adds yet another redundant piece and is still horribly deprived of top end talent

We have depth, we desperately need top end skill, in no way shape or form does trading gaborik right now get us any closer to getting that

Like it or not, holding on to gaborik, trying to get him a center, and hoping he gets back to form is our best move if we want a chance of making this team a contender in the next couple of years
Holding onto Gabs might be the only move available. After the season he had and the given his current salary the Rangers would have a difficult time getting any value for him.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:

Not necessarily true. Trades are always a possibility you never know who might be shopped especially when you have teams close to the cap. A nice package could land you a top line winger that and signing Richards.

Not saying it would happen but there are always options.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
only way i trade Gaborik is if we get Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown or Jack Johnson and Brayden Schenn other then that no other trades

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
That's wishful thinking.
Trading coke for pepsi, i.e., a scorer for a scorer straight up, usually doesn't work; if neither side guess wrong it's a wash at best.

A star D who can also score would help out with all the pinches in Torts' system, and make all the difference on our inept power play. With that in mind, and ...

Relative to the proposal immediately above yours about some form of Gabby to LA for Jack Johnson, could we overpay but within and to a degree we can handle, and get Doughty?

A rough first thought on such COUNTER PROPOSAL would be
Girardi, Stepan, Gabby, NYRs 2011 #1, and a choice between well regarded G prospects Talbot and Stacjer. That's a lot and moving Stepan really hurts, but Doughty is the real deal.

LA gets a lot for its best player.
We do give up $1.20 or so in change for $1, but we also clear cap space.
[LA will have balance of summer to move around assets and be cap compliant.]

Adding a lot w/Gabby to get a premo asset added would be best use of moving Gaborik,

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
thats WAYYYYY TOO MUCH for Doughty, throw in Duby Cally and Staal while ur at it since you just gave away half our team for 1 GUY

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Gaborik, Kundratek for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds
Girardi, Anisimov, Wolski, 1st for Lecavalier (Girardi's trade value is sky-high right now. Use that asset. He's not getting any younger and although I love him and he's an absolute warrior, he's going to continue to get banged up and eventually injured because of how many shots he blocks and how many minutes he plays. And with our defense, we actually can afford to lose him for the right return: Le-mothereffing-cavalier.)
Re-sign Fedotenko 1 year 1.5 million
Re-sign Dubinsky(3.875), Callahan(3.875), Boyle(1.5), Sauer(0.750) for multiple years.
Sign Brad Richards 6 years, 6.875 million per (I'd go as high as 7.5, maybe even 8 if we don't trade for Lecavalier, but I think we can get him for around 7 or slightly less)

Avery to minors
Boogard to minors or retirement
Drury bought out or retirement

Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Fedotenko Lecavalier Zuccarello
Grachev Stepan Kreider
Simmonds Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Valentenko / Gilroy / McIlrath / cheap vet FA

Lundqvist
Biron

I'd also look at Brunette on a cheap 1 year deal (1-1.5 mil) as an option. He's a smart player and can play anywhere in the lineup.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
trading him after one bad year is completely ludacris

you dont trade a player like gaborik unless your damn sure hes NEVER getting back to form, and in that case you're just trying to cut your losses and shed that salary

i get it, we're all mad that he crapped the bed this season, but dont be ridiculous, if he's the same or worse next season (thus showing that the gaborik of old is likely no more) you have to consider moving him....but keep in mind your not getting much of anything in return

i gaurentee this board would have traded both Ovechkin and Kovalchuk at some point this season
I have no doubts that Gaborik will get back to his usual numbers. Especially playing next to Richards, he'd easily score 45+, maybe even 60+. What worries me is that he hasn't been able to elevate his game enough when it mattered in each of his two seasons here. Yeah, he carried our offense on his back last year... all the way to... NOT BEING IN THE PLAYOFFS. And this year? 1 giftwrapped tap-in goal in the final ~17 games. Nothing else when it mattered. If we can get a Jack Johnson and Simmonds for him, I take that and run every time. We clear a little cap-space to better use on building our team now that we see the identity that this core has.

Old
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Why?

I'd rather have the Brad Richards who can make average players look like goal scorers than a guy like Gaborik who is a pure goal scorer but can't create for himself when push comes to shove.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Why?

I'd rather have the Brad Richards who can make average players look like goal scorers than a guy like Gaborik who is a pure goal scorer but can't create for himself when push comes to shove.
Then why not just keep both? Richards will still make average players look like goal scores and he'll inflate Gaboriks stats.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Then why not just keep both? Richards will still make average players look like goal scores and he'll inflate Gaboriks stats.
Inflated stats don't win anything I care about winning.

In two seasons as a Ranger, I haven't seen a guy willing to sacrifice enough for the team to win games. I'd rather spend 7.5 million on guys who will, especially now that this team has carved a clear identity with its young players.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Gaborik, Kundratek for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds
Girardi, Anisimov, Wolski, 1st for Lecavalier (Girardi's trade value is sky-high right now. Use that asset. He's not getting any younger and although I love him and he's an absolute warrior, he's going to continue to get banged up and eventually injured because of how many shots he blocks and how many minutes he plays. And with our defense, we actually can afford to lose him for the right return: Le-mothereffing-cavalier.)
Re-sign Fedotenko 1 year 1.5 million
Re-sign Dubinsky(3.875), Callahan(3.875), Boyle(1.5), Sauer(0.750) for multiple years.
Sign Brad Richards 6 years, 6.875 million per (I'd go as high as 7.5, maybe even 8 if we don't trade for Lecavalier, but I think we can get him for around 7 or slightly less)

Avery to minors
Boogard to minors or retirement
Drury bought out or retirement

Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Fedotenko Lecavalier Zuccarello
Grachev Stepan Kreider
Simmonds Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Valentenko / Gilroy / McIlrath / cheap vet FA

Lundqvist
Biron

I'd also look at Brunette on a cheap 1 year deal (1-1.5 mil) as an option. He's a smart player and can play anywhere in the lineup.
No on Anisimov being moved that's usually subtraction by subtraction.
Be careful w/Vinnie LeC. There's only one or two more onerous contracts. If w/new rules, you can't have another team eat part of any remaining balance on his deal, you are stuck with him.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
thats WAYYYYY TOO MUCH for Doughty, throw in Duby Cally and Staal while ur at it since you just gave away half our team for 1 GUY
If you could sign him as a RFA (which you wouldn't get chance), the price would be minimum 4 #1s.

Recognizing you have to give to get,
and you don't want to touch Dubi, Cally, AA, Kreider, this is the offer you have to make, more or less the only offer [or some variant on basically this offer] that you can make.

Girardi, Stepan, Gabby, NYRs 2011 #1, and a choice between well regarded G prospects Talbot and Stacjer = slightly over 5 #1s in value.

Flame if you want, but this is approximately the core of what's closest to real that both sides would actually consider, IMO.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
LA loves Gabby. How about Gabby for Jack Johnson. I will even throw in our 1st rd pick this year.
Done.

Our D would be stacked + 1

This is my offseason dream.

Quote:
No. Im sick of defensemen.
Never.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it makes sense to me on a lot of levels actually.

i mean, we can then also go after Gomez, which im sure Montreal would be thrilled with getting rid of, and we can literally have the 4 worst contracts in the NHL all on one roster. Drury, Gomez, Redden and Campbell.

DO IT!
The Cup is ours!

04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
disagree. I don't see how keeping a guy who makes $7.5 million and is pathetic as the games get important will help make the team a contender.