HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malkin moves to 34th and 7th

Old
04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Richards is coming off a concussion. I'd still take Malkin if the opportunity presented itself, people acting as if his career is over.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Think Sam and Joe wold be calling him Geno like Steigy and Errey? Pretty sure Al would.
Al was probably calling him Geno before he got drafted

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm not going to be naive and say "no thanks" to a player that scored 100 points in consecutive seasons just a few years ago. But I'm not going to break the bank or give up a ton of assets to get him

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:06 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Put that on the main board and see how that looks, you'd get verbally murdered for a proposal like that.
I don't think it's as bad as you think, that's 3 first rounders and Anisimov. Malkin's got a huge contract to take into account

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:08 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Richards is coming off a concussion. I'd still take Malkin if the opportunity presented itself, people acting as if his career is over.
I'd rather have a concussion than a knee injury any day of the week, especially a torn ACL and MCL. Torn ligaments are a ***** to heal and they can severely screw an athlete over. The rehabilitation is excruciatingly difficult for ligament injuries and there is a chance that those who have injuries will feel pain in their legs for the rest of their lives. Unless your name is Sidney Crosby, recovering from a concussion is simple, there is no structural damage whatsoever, only rest is required.

I laugh whenever I see people offering the world for Malkin in trade proposals. He's worth nothing right now until he returns from injury and is as effective as he used to be. Even when healthy the past 2 seasons, he hasn't shown the ability at all to play like he used to.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:08 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
This isn't a serious post is it..
It completely is. Malkin is a different player from 08-09. The Penguins are the team I watch the most other than the Rangers. Honestly, I would think he was a different player if I didn't already know who he is. Especially coming off a major knee injury.

Quote:
Steven go get some fresh air. You're right about Richards being easier to acquire but if the opportunity presented itself I'd take Malkin 10 times out of 10 over Richards.
Not at the cost of two of Dubinsky/Callahan/Staal, Kreider, Del Zotto, and a 1st, when Richards costs simply cap space.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think it's as bad as you think, that's 3 first rounders and Anisimov. Malkin's got a huge contract to take into account
Yeah, not to mention declining value as well.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
Richards is coming off a mild concussion. He was out for about 9 games.

Malkin is coming off a torn ligament, where the normal amount of recovery time is 6 months.

Old
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
NaturalIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Thank you! In the real world insane trades don't happen like that. DZ and Kreider are blue chip prospects (I know his value has taken a hit this year but the fact remains that he was a first round pick for a reason and has great offensive ability) a SOLID and still very young player who has done nothing other than watch his totals increase since coming into this league and a high draft pick. Again, pittsburgh only trades malkin if they have to, and teams don't give up 3 young high potential roster players for one guy. This is the nhl not a video game. Business, and money factor into things, its not about getting a higher "overall" rating.

NaturalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It's going to take at least two first round picks and a prospect +

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
You don't go for Malkin because what it would take to get him guts the team. - Philadelphia never won the Stanley Cup even though they acquired Eric Lindros. The pieces Colorado acquired propelled them to win two Stanley Cups.

Take advantage of a team in financial trouble in Dallas, like Edmonton was in financial trouble and import the proven winner and elite #1 center in Brad Richards just like they did with Mark Messier.

Read your History Books!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
It completely is. Malkin is a different player from 08-09. The Penguins are the team I watch the most other than the Rangers. Honestly, I would think he was a different player if I didn't already know who he is. Especially coming off a major knee injury.

Not at the cost of two of Dubinsky/Callahan/Staal, Kreider, Del Zotto, and a 1st, when Richards costs simply cap space.
Players cannot continuously keep the same level of production season in and out. Especially when they run into injuries. Look at Ovechkin this season. He had to deal w/ less injuries than Malkin. His numbers dipped a bit b/c of the "new" system Wash plays.

With that said, Malkin is passionate and obviously talented enough to come back real strong. I guarantee that 08-09 won't be his last 100+ point season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

Malkin is coming off a torn ligament, where the normal amount of recovery time is 6 months.
Doesn't matter. It all depends on how the player comes back from the injury. Malkin is young he'll be fine. Richards will most likely be fine too but even mild concussions can have serious repercussions.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

All concussions are serious.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
nyr__1994

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
that package would get destroyed by 20 other teams that would be interested in an available Malkin.

try:

Dubinsky
Stepan
McDonagh
+

You're trying to land one of the NHL's premier centers, at the very beginning of his prime, inside the same division.

and in all honesty, as much as i love dubi and McD, I'd do it.
You have to give to get, maybe sub Kreider for Stepan, but same basic package

nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
Players cannot continuously keep the same level of production season in and out. Especially when they run into injuries. Look at Ovechkin this season. He had to deal w/ less injuries than Malkin. His numbers dipped a bit b/c of the "new" system Wash plays.

With that said, Malkin is passionate and obviously talented enough to come back real strong. I guarantee that 08-09 won't be his last 100+ point season.
Malkin looks lazy out there at times. Ovechkin doesn't, other than in the defensive zone at times, but he's a cherry picker, so what do you expect, eh. But Malkin...he just doesn't look like his 08-09 form. That Malkin was a cycling warrior, a bull in the offensive zone and on the wall. The new Malkin gets knocked off the puck rather easily.

I don't think it would be worth the risk of him staying the way he has been. Maybe he'll get another 100 point season soon, but you can't completely gut your team for ONE player who isn't a guarantee. I'm not prepared to give up crazy packages like Callahan, Staal, McDonagh, and a 1st to get him, especially when Richards is available as a UFA.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
What would I give up?... anything they ask for.
Don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but no way I would give up anything they ask for (obviously i know you didn't mean ANYTHING), for a guy coming off a terrible, possibly career altering, knee injury.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

It would cost us way to much, so no. Pitts would ask for guys like Staal, Dubi, Cally and Hank to start.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
John Torturella

You cant trade all that to Pittsburgh. Imagine you trade them Del Zotto, Callahan, Kreider to Pitt. That team would destroy us for many years and we would be stuck with just Malkin and scrubs.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
No. We can get Richards for just money. I'd hate to see us waste guys like Anisimov, Staal, McD, Dubi, or a 1st round pick for a guy who has been having some injury problems the last 2 seasons.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It's not even about the Injury. Malkin is going to be fine. It's the fact that you're trading all your depth for just 1 player. It's not a smart move. It's the same reason I wanted nothing to do with Kovalchuk. Giving him all that many for all those years would stop us from addressing other needs.

It's fact that the teams with the best depth are most successful when it matters the most. Teams like Vancouver, Boston, Philly etc.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
We would have to pull out a Knicks for Melo type deal and that wouldn't even be enough.

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea, it's a lot different than the NBA.

The NBA is a star league, you can get away with trading depth, but you can't do that in the NHL.

04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
All concussions are serious.
no doubt but if a guy goes out on LTIR or worse early retirement, i'd rather have given up nothing to have gotten him then assets like AA and Kreider

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
It's not even about the Injury. Malkin is going to be fine. It's the fact that you're trading all your depth for just 1 player. It's not a smart move. It's the same reason I wanted nothing to do with Kovalchuk. Giving him all that many for all those years would stop us from addressing other needs.

It's fact that the teams with the best depth are most successful when it matters the most. Teams like Vancouver, Boston, Philly etc.

Add Chicago of 2010 and the Red Wings in there and yes, I agree.