HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Maybe, but not as massive as you think,

Kulemin is 24 I believe, a 30 goal scorer, and great defensively.

We give up Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, all 3 are immediately replaceable by kids in the system that we WANT to be playing next year, Stoll would be the hardest replace due to his faceoff, but you are removing what, 5-6 million in salary, getting back 2 million, and gaining a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is defensively sound...
And Frolov was a 30 goal scorer on a ****** team too, and is now likely KHL bound. I'm not a fan of guys who do really well on crappy teams, because I have no idea how they'll do on good ones.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Why would Colorado make that deal? They don't get younger. They don't get more skilled. They barely add experience.

So the Kings have to do two unlikely transactions, the second being even more unlikely than the first. I guess it'll be a long year next season.
Colorado won't make that deal (Schenn, Bernier, Simmonds for Duchene), but they do need a goalie.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizer View Post
FORWARDS

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($3.200m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)

Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.850m)

Tomas Fleischmann ($2.600m) / Oscar Moller ($0.875m) / Antti Miettinen ($2.333m)

Brad Richardson ($0.900m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Jordan Weal ($0.640m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m) / Drew Doughty ($3.475m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Alec Martinez ($0.875m)
Johan Fransson ($0.900m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
/ Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,140,475; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (27-man roster): $1,862,025

I was just playing around with it. I got rid of Penner, lost the older players and went FA shopping with still close to 2 mill left.
I love how the Kings are expanding their roster to include 6 more players.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
OK Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Schenn as the #2 center? At 20? No way. I would rather see Loktionov.
They're practically the same age though, so I don't get that line of thinking ... I wouldn't mind seeing either, if not both of them, get ice time for us next year.

Also, as far as Ryan Smyth is concerned, I would love to have him play a limited number of games in the season and then crank it up in the playoffs. Why not run him out there for 41 games while having either Lokti/Schenn fill in the other 41 just to get some experience? I'd love to have a fresh Smyth for the playoffs, cause I think he is very valuable that time of year, and it wouldn't be the end of the world to have either of the two youngins play winger for a bit.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
They're practically the same age though, so I don't get that line of thinking ... I wouldn't mind seeing either, if not both of them, get ice time for us next year.

Also, as far as Ryan Smyth is concerned, I would love to have him play a limited number of games in the season and then crank it up in the playoffs. Why not run him out there for 41 games while having either Lokti/Schenn fill in the other 41 just to get some experience? I'd love to have a fresh Smyth for the playoffs, cause I think he is very valuable that time of year, and it wouldn't be the end of the world to have either of the two youngins play winger for a bit.
Murray won't sit the vets, he might lower the ice time a bit.

As far as Loktionov vs. Schenn, Loktionov has been playing against men for 2 years and Schenn hasn't. I haven't seen anything from Schenn that shows me he is ready to play #2 center minutes in the NHL.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Was batting this around on another board this morning....

We know we our deep with players, F, D, G, not saying how talented they are, but we are chock full of players and are in danger of choking off the pipeline, so to speak...

I've made it clear I think trading Simmonds is a good thing,

Anyone think Toronto would do this?

Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, for Kulemin?

We might have to take a salary back just to waive etc or bury on the farm, but that gives us a talented, speedy, two way forward who scored 30 goals this past year playing with freaking Grabovski.

I would then go after a Steve Sullivan, Chris Clark, or Mike Knuble, and our line up would be this,

Kulemin - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Penner - Lotkionov - Knuble/Sullivan/Clark
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Martinez
Scuderi - Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin

Parse, Moller, Westgarth all start on the farm, maybe keep Parse up as the 13th...

That gives us the ability to be a 4 line deep team, that could roll any line out there at any time and be a threat, and still be defensively sound.
While we're at it, we should resign Ponikarovsky and Frolov, then we'll go after Tanguay and Versteeg. We're going to hoard every 2nd rate mediocre talent in the league!!! It's too bad we can't bring Dmitri Khristich back.

Old
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene, for Kulemin?
You desperately want to get rid of Stoll, Simmonds, and Greene huh?

Quote:
Kulemin - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Penner - Lotkionov - Knuble/Sullivan/Clark
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson
So face-offs mean nothing?

Old
04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
2 days after the Kings are eliminated and I'm already on Capgeek 24/7 thinking of the possible pipe dream rosters, which none of, will come true...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.950m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($4.750m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m) /
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Martin Jones ($0.525m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000(Rumored cap for next year); CAP PAYROLL: $58,977,697; BONUSES: $347,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,022,303

*Bernier, Toffoli, and one of Hickey/Forbort, to NJD for Parise.
**Smyth to Edmonton for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

With Jones tearing up the AHL in his rookie season, it looks like we will be able to use Bernier as trade bait. If Quick falters, you still have Jones, who is promising, to test for the #1 spot.

Schenn joins the team in 2012 after getting a year in the AHL and replaces Stoll.

Old
04-27-2011, 06:36 PM
scramble91

Quote:

Its not that face offs mean nothing, and it would hurt us in the department if we were to trade stoll. (i take that back...shootouts as well )

That being said, he offers nothing that cant be replaced by cheaper, younger players except for the faceoffs. So its kind of a catch 22.

He is a center with a hard and heavy shot who is average on the D side of things, with limited to no playmaking ability. He is not great for a 3rd line role for his price tag. If lewis was to improve his faceoff ability, then it would be an upgrade (in my hubmle opinion) at a cheaper price, since he is younger, faster, and alot better on the defensive side.

In my opinion, this team needs speed and playmaking period. We are full of young and amazingly great 3rd and 4th liners...now its time to figure out how to get better top 6 talent. Richie, Lewis, Holloway, etc.... they are all 3rd -4th line players. I know Richie played with alot of heart, but his d positioning was a huge liability, so if someone had to go, it would be him if he is expecting a raise.

I think smjay goes against the grain a tad with wanting to trade Stoll Simmonds and Greene, but realistically, those 3 actually have value and could net us something we need pretty badly. So i would be on board to trade those 3 (but apparently dean wouldnt trade greene cuz he is in great shape....lol), if we were able to create a package for a speedy player who has vision and a nice shot (semin is my dream but it would take a tad more).

I wouldnt go with Kuelmin, but i can see what he is looking for. I would prefer a speedier player on the line with frank the tank and kopitar...but since its a slower moving line, i could see it working..

I think ive said many times that Richards would have been the perfect fit, but now alot of people are saying the same thing, which would lend me to believe its not going to happen now . It would be a big risk, because he did struggle after signing his other contract.

Schenn is the wildcard to everything. Some people say he will be in manchester, some say he will be in the NHL. Schenn is perfectly as capable of playing in the NHL, but if you expect him to pot 30 goals and have 80 points, then of course he would fail.

Im on the bandwagon of letting our kids get 1 more year of development, as with this lineup barring any drastic changes just wont make us contenders.

Letting Lokti and Schenn play this year and let them go through the mistake process for a season, so the following season, there would be a possibility to make a run for the cup (assuming schenn and lokti.)

Ill probably get flamed for this...but i would try this out if we could land Richards.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Richards-Schenn-Brown
Clifford-loktionov-Simmonds
Richie-Lewis-Westgarth/Parse/holloway

DD-Mitchell
JJ-Scuds
Voynov-Greene
Martinez

Schenn gets protected by Richards and learns from him. Lokti size gets protected by the bash brothers, and both players are very responsible defensively. Plus, lokti is very creative and can skate the puck into the zone instead of dumping it in consistently.

We might have some hiccups with this lineup for a little stretch- but i would love to see this lineup on the ice (because if it doesnt work, Dean will have to reload pretty quickly lol). But i would wager that his lineup (staying healthy) would be maybe a 5-7 seed in the playoffs, but it would be deep down the middle.

Old
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Devils wont give up their best player for 3 prospects, especially if Schenn isnt 1 of them. Bernier, Schenn, JJ, 1st rounder, is more realistic as you would need to part with the equivalent of 4 1st rounders

Old
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Murray won't sit the vets, he might lower the ice time a bit.

As far as Loktionov vs. Schenn, Loktionov has been playing against men for 2 years and Schenn hasn't. I haven't seen anything from Schenn that shows me he is ready to play #2 center minutes in the NHL.
And yet, all Loktionov has shown us is that he is fragile and easily gets hurt when playing against men.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's a list of potential RFAs or one-year rentals that might be available for trade:

RFAs: Parise, Ladd, Grabner, MacArthur, Voracek, Wheeler

Not sure of the availability of those RFAs, but should they holdout and demand money that their respective clubs refuse to budge on, then anything could be possible. Just look at how Clarke MacArthur was a RFA with arbitration rights, won his case, and then was allowed to walk and became a UFA, signing with the Leafs.

One-year rentals: Hemsky, Doan, Huselius, Dumont, Umberger, T. Ruutu, Grabovski

More than likely, those players are not going to be dealt until the trade deadline, but it's possible for them to be moved in the summer should they get a good enough offer.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
And yet, all Loktionov has shown us is that he is fragile and easily gets hurt when playing against men.
And yet, iron men get hurt at the worst time. Injuries can and will happen to everyone. It's a contact sport with no out of bounds.

You don't not play a player because he's had injuries. Maybe he's done with them? Nobody knows.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's a list of potential RFAs or one-year rentals that might be available for trade:

Not sure of the availability of those RFAs, but should they holdout and demand money that their respective clubs refuse to budge on, then anything could be possible. Just look at how Clarke MacArthur was a RFA with arbitration rights, won his case, and then was allowed to walk and became a UFA, signing with the Leafs.

More than likely, those players are not going to be dealt until the trade deadline, but it's possible for them to be moved in the summer should they get a good enough offer.
How about trading one of our one year rentals for one of those guys? If Doan was traded for would Brown give up the C?

Old
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
And yet, iron men get hurt at the worst time. Injuries can and will happen to everyone. It's a contact sport with no out of bounds.

You don't not play a player because he's had injuries. Maybe he's done with them? Nobody knows.
I'm not foolish enough to think Loktionov can handle a full season as the Kings #2 C. You seem to be implying that you think he can by stating he's more ready to play against men than Schenn is.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
2 days after the Kings are eliminated and I'm already on Capgeek 24/7 thinking of the possible pipe dream rosters, which none of, will come true...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.950m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($4.750m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m) /
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Martin Jones ($0.525m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000(Rumored cap for next year); CAP PAYROLL: $58,977,697; BONUSES: $347,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,022,303

With Jones tearing up the AHL in his rookie season, it looks like we will be able to use Bernier as trade bait. If Quick falters, you still have Jones, who is promising, to test for the #1 spot.

Schenn joins the team in 2012 after getting a year in the AHL and replaces Stoll.
At least you're thinking big. Shoot for the stars I say.

But in reality you're not getting Parise without giving up Johnson or Doughty. And Smyth>Penner, I'd definitely move Dustin before Ryan.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

He's everything the Kings lack. He has genuine game-breaking ability. His speed reeks havoc on defenders, and he can snipe too.

He was top 10 in the league in even strength goals scored, while playing less games than everyone ahead of him.

I'm not sure what it would take to pry him from the Islanders, but I do think we make good trading partners. Too bad Milbury isn't still around.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Perhaps that was forced because of injuries to other players?

He definitely needs to get stronger. But he has a great mentor in Larionov (5' 9" / 175 - 14 years), who learned to play hard, but slippery, and protected himself for many years. Datsyuk (5' 11" / 194) is 32. Loki is, what? 20, I think. 5' 10" and 175 - so he's comparable in size to players of his style. And conditioning and strength training is a lot better now. Not to worry. Brains not brawn.

To me, Loki shows a great deal of natural hockey sense on both sides of the puck. He can make little plays in tight, around the net, and, on occasion, can make them look smooth and easy. He's got a very good eye for his team mates on the ice and keeps himself available to them. He can create hesitation in a defender.

Excellent first step with the puck. Most importantly, he wants it. He wants the puck on his stick. He wants to make plays. He loves shooting. He wants to win. The difference when he was moved back to center was amazing - he was like two or three steps quicker. Could very well give us something special on the PP.

He's more polished in the pro game than Schenn. Murray has more trust in Loki's overall game and defense than he does with Schenn's, imho.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:42 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Loktionov has bionic shoulders now. he'll be fine.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Let's trade Moller for Tikhonov and get it over with.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
While we're at it, we should resign Ponikarovsky and Frolov, then we'll go after Tanguay and Versteeg. We're going to hoard every 2nd rate mediocre talent in the league!!! It's too bad we can't bring Dmitri Khristich back.
Not sure what you are driving at or if you just haven't watched Kulemin develop?

Old
04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And Frolov was a 30 goal scorer on a ****** team too, and is now likely KHL bound. I'm not a fan of guys who do really well on crappy teams, because I have no idea how they'll do on good ones.
Fair enough, not sure if Frolov was the comparison you wanted, but fair enough.

I've seen Kulemin since he came into the league, the kid has talent, that's the key, he's not just playing there because they have no one else...

Old
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
sjmay*

Quote:

Face-offs mean something, do does speed and skill on the wings, I am willing to have our C's work all summer on faceoffs if it means we can grab a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is extremely sound defensively, how about you?

Old
04-27-2011, 09:51 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Pitts failed to score on a power play with 2 minutes left at home without their top center in game 7.

Bylsma should certainly be fired for this, I agree.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I still say let Zus/Poni go and Sign 2 of Gagne/Tanguay/Jokinen/Leino/Fleischmann

Closed Thread