HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The RAGE I feel for the previous ownership's mistakes and attitude about them

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
  #51
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Time to get over this.

We have so many "what if's" and "should have been's" as Sabres fans.

Time to turn the page. A new regime is in town and we need to shed the loser label.
Please read the points before posting. It would help my blood pressure immensely.

I've already turned the page and am very excited for the futrue of this team.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
  #52
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
I didn't bash Golisano and Quinn too much while they were running the Sabres, but Pegula's short, amazing reign has shed a light on how much those two ****ing sucked. It's mind-blowing how much better off we are now with Pegula and Black at the helm.

And while it hurts to see the Sabres get embarrassed by Briere every time they play the Flyers, they probably wouldn't have been in position to draft Myers and Ennis had Briere been retained. So, there's that to feel good about.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
  #53
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Please read the points before posting. It would help my blood pressure immensely.

I've already turned the page and am very excited for the futrue of this team.
What did I say that was wrong?

I can't speak my mind?

Like I said, time to get over stuff like this.

If it raises your BP maybe you should seek help.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
  #54
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,847
vCash: 500
Just read through everything in here.

Me? I'm over it all. Over it. I'm over it because the team has problems that need to be addressed now - and there's nothing to be gained about harboring feelings towards Quinn now that he's gone.

Get me a defenseman or two who can play sound defense in our zone. Get a bit more depth up front. Quinn's gone, my focus has shifted completely...and Briere has been long-gone in my mind.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
  #55
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Danny Briere came back to haunt us. 6 goals to go with a consistent PIA performance.

I remember the co-captain days like they were yesterday. Look in the mirror - there's a very good chance that you were part of the reason this team failed to realize the value of Daniel Briere.

I remember calling WGR during one of their daily Drury love-fests and getting hung up on when I tried to express my opinion that Danny Briere was the straw that stirred the drink - the motor of the offense. I remember getting into heated debates on this board when the love for Drury was overshadowing the epic performances we were witnessing from Briere. It was mind-boggling - it didn't make sense to me. I would say 8 out of 10 fans preferred Drury over Briere. It became quite the topic of debate that was discussed not only on this board but also on the radio and in the papers. When it was all said and done, the conclusion was usually that Drury was the real leader, the real reason for the Sabres success.

The fans, the local media, and eventually the management team were all convinced that the good old American boy Chris Drury was the perfect representation of the city of Buffalo. Briere - he was a diver. A complainer. Some fans didn't even like him. Drury? A hockey god.

Sports Illustrated had a multi-page article on Chris Drury - The Winner. They highlighted the good ol' Little League World Series. All this guy does is win...

You better believe that all of these factors played a part in ownership's decision to target Drury and leave Briere on the sidelines. The fans loved Drury, the sports world loved Drury and lost in the shuffle was who we know now as the most productive post-season performer since the lockout with 93 points in 88 playoff games.

Briere is not just a point producer either. He makes his living in the blue paint. He's always involved in the action. You need that from your star players. He frustrates his opponents.

I know it's old news, but naturally, losing this series to Briere and the Flyers is a bitter pill to swallow.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:30 AM
  #56
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
This is 100% a hindsight thing - I can't fault them for wanting Drury over Briere.
That's just it.

I can. A bunch of us can because we were saying the same thing 4 years ago.

Speaking personally, there was never a doubt in my mind that Briere was more important - and maybe the MOST important Sabre at the time.

Him, Hecht and JP/Pommer made a legit #1 line who produced WHILE drawing the other teams' top D pairings.
Which, in turn, allowed the Roy-Max-TV and Drury lines to have the spotlight off them.

Yeah, rage and hate.

FU Quinn...

(btw, like jj said, not only did he - Quinn - shat the bed on that and some other stuff, but trying to spin it and saying stuff a 10 year old wouldn't buy made me feel like he thought his Holy Quinness thought of us normal plebs as morons incapable of their own cognitive process)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:38 AM
  #57
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
I shouldn't have done this, but reading over this thread has put me in a really sad mood given the events of the night. Seeing Briere tear it up against the organization that underappreciated him a few years ago is kind of like seeing an ex go on to be happy with someone else after an ugly breakup. It's enough to tear a fan's heart out, and it brings that summer from hell back too near in memory.

I'm sure I'll feel better in the morning, but right now this is starting to get to me. I need to go to bed.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:08 AM
  #58
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
Danny Briere came back to haunt us. 6 goals to go with a consistent PIA performance.

I remember the co-captain days like they were yesterday. Look in the mirror - there's a very good chance that you were part of the reason this team failed to realize the value of Daniel Briere.

I remember calling WGR during one of their daily Drury love-fests and getting hung up on when I tried to express my opinion that Danny Briere was the straw that stirred the drink - the motor of the offense. I remember getting into heated debates on this board when the love for Drury was overshadowing the epic performances we were witnessing from Briere. It was mind-boggling - it didn't make sense to me. I would say 8 out of 10 fans preferred Drury over Briere. It became quite the topic of debate that was discussed not only on this board but also on the radio and in the papers. When it was all said and done, the conclusion was usually that Drury was the real leader, the real reason for the Sabres success.

The fans, the local media, and eventually the management team were all convinced that the good old American boy Chris Drury was the perfect representation of the city of Buffalo. Briere - he was a diver. A complainer. Some fans didn't even like him. Drury? A hockey god.

Sports Illustrated had a multi-page article on Chris Drury - The Winner. They highlighted the good ol' Little League World Series. All this guy does is win...

You better believe that all of these factors played a part in ownership's decision to target Drury and leave Briere on the sidelines. The fans loved Drury, the sports world loved Drury and lost in the shuffle was who we know now as the most productive post-season performer since the lockout with 93 points in 88 playoff games.

Briere is not just a point producer either. He makes his living in the blue paint. He's always involved in the action. You need that from your star players. He frustrates his opponents.

I know it's old news, but naturally, losing this series to Briere and the Flyers is a bitter pill to swallow.
I agree with this 100%. You don't think a vocal fanbase on influential hockey sites has any affect on what coaches/GM's do? Much less a professional meddler like Quinn? The vitriol towards Briere during the 2nd half of 06-07 among the fanbase and on talk radio was flat out unbelieveable. Sabres fans talked about him like he was a Zherdev or a Gaborik - a straight up passenger in what was essentially Drury's ship.

I hope many of you won't automatically target the intangibles guy who happened to hit a career high in goals in a contract year over a guy that absolutely spear-headed the best offense in the entire league next time.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:07 AM
  #59
Grinder44
Registered User
 
Grinder44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Please read the points before posting. It would help my blood pressure immensely.

I've already turned the page and am very excited for the futrue of this team.
Me too! Looking forward to the future. The best part of it is whatever Quinn wants to say has about as much bearing on the team as whatever you or I want to say: Nothing! I think the team is in good hands now and, hopefully, on the way to bigger and better things.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
  #60
gaf
Occupied Territory
 
gaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... on the warpath
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
The opening day of free agency that year- where we did nothing was one of the angriest days of my life as a sabres fan. Heck- maybe in general. All the past ownership group did post that day was make excuses and try to cover up their decisions errrr mistakes. While I appreciated BTG's saving the franchise for WNY - expectations changed when that 05-06 team was an 8.9.10 defenseman away from playing in the cup finals. That was the year. And how did they capitalize w/ personal the following 2 seasons- smoke and mirrors- omissions of truth, elite defenses, backroom handshake on contract deals- that never got formalized- outwardly choosing one C over another...
It was f'in outrageous. And the only thing more outrageous was the rah-rah BS of people who ate up every word of that garbage. I am so glad they are gone. The way they dealt with players and the media. Pegula's: Rooney, family approach is something I really admire and cant wait to see example, after example of how its implemented..

I really need to be over the rage. I've gotta push past it. I hate that it sits back there and taps you on the shoulder every once in a while- reminding me - well - what if....

If I ever meet this ****** bag- it will take every once of resolve in my being not to gouge out one of his eyes and eat that f'in thing in front of the eye that still sits in the socket. Seriously... moving on..

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
  #61
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's just it.

I can. A bunch of us can because we were saying the same thing 4 years ago.

Speaking personally, there was never a doubt in my mind that Briere was more important - and maybe the MOST important Sabre at the time.

Him, Hecht and JP/Pommer made a legit #1 line who produced WHILE drawing the other teams' top D pairings.
Which, in turn, allowed the Roy-Max-TV and Drury lines to have the spotlight off them.

Yeah, rage and hate.

FU Quinn...

(btw, like jj said, not only did he - Quinn - shat the bed on that and some other stuff, but trying to spin it and saying stuff a 10 year old wouldn't buy made me feel like he thought his Holy Quinness thought of us normal plebs as morons incapable of their own cognitive process)
Its easy for you to tell us that you told us so now. Obviously you were right. It doesn't change the fact that it appeared at the time that:

- Drury was the main catalyst
- Drury was unique, whereas Briere seemed similar to many of our other player

As it turns out, while Drury was the original catalyst, but not necessarily the main one anymore. And also, Briere has gone on to far overperform expectations while the players he was supposedly similar to have far underperformed theirs. Yes you can criticize but only with the benefit of hindsight. They preferred the player that seemed better at the time and I can't fault them for that. I only fault them for not realizing that the player they preferred could not be had, and not salvaging Briere while there was still a chance.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
  #62
aaronr28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
If, hypothetically, the Sabres had signed Briere, Drury, and Campbell to identical 5 year, $25 million contracts to keep them around AND signed Vanek to a more reasonable contract before the Oilers tried to steal him...how different would the team look now?

I assume the Pominville contract would be smaller as they would slot him in among the other guys. Maybe Miller takes a little less to make it all fit?

If this had happened, there's probably no way they get to draft Tyler Myers but having Campbell around would likely offset that for the short-term anyway. They'd probably be a more attractive team for free agents to come to at a significant discount as well.

Drury's value on the ice has obviously slipped, but he's still valuable for his leadership and having Briere and Campbell around would certainly improve the overall strength of the team.

Just wondering how much different the team would look if ownership had been a bit more proactive in those days.

aaronr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
  #63
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Its easy for you to tell us that you told us so now. Obviously you were right. It doesn't change the fact that it appeared at the time that:

- Drury was the main catalyst
- Drury was unique, whereas Briere seemed similar to many of our other player

As it turns out, while Drury was the original catalyst, but not necessarily the main one anymore. And also, Briere has gone on to far overperform expectations while the players he was supposedly similar to have far underperformed theirs. Yes you can criticize but only with the benefit of hindsight. They preferred the player that seemed better at the time and I can't fault them for that. I only fault them for not realizing that the player they preferred could not be had, and not salvaging Briere while there was still a chance.
You can go back and look at the old debates if you wish. Corto's "date joined" will tell you he was around then, and I can tell you that Fo9, Corto, and myself were VERY vocal about Briere being the catalyst of the league's best offense. Drury simply could do no wrong in the eyes of some (hence recieving the nickname "the teflon myth", I believe coined by Chain), and in the middle of that 06-07 season, Briere could do no right to some.

And I also disagree that Drury was the "initial" catalyst, considering Briere was acquired at the deadline in 02-03, improving the squad instantly (that awful team had a over .500 record down the stretch w/ Briere) and that the team made a run in 03-04 AFTER Hecht-Briere-Dumont were installed as the team's top scoring line after Drury failed to take that job and run with it (only the 2nd time he's failed to be a team's #1 center after coming over from Calgary...in New York he couldn't even handle being a #2 center).

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
  #64
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Its easy for you to tell us that you told us so now. Obviously you were right. It doesn't change the fact that it appeared at the time that:

- Drury was the main catalyst
- Drury was unique, whereas Briere seemed similar to many of our other player

As it turns out, while Drury was the original catalyst, but not necessarily the main one anymore. And also, Briere has gone on to far overperform expectations while the players he was supposedly similar to have far underperformed theirs. Yes you can criticize but only with the benefit of hindsight. They preferred the player that seemed better at the time and I can't fault them for that. I only fault them for not realizing that the player they preferred could not be had, and not salvaging Briere while there was still a chance.
I contended then and I still do now that both should have been the target. They did it different ways but together they were the mojo of this team.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
  #65
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
You can go back and look at the old debates if you wish. Corto's "date joined" will tell you he was around then, and I can tell you that Fo9, Corto, and myself were VERY vocal about Briere being the catalyst of the league's best offense. Drury simply could do no wrong in the eyes of some (hence recieving the nickname "the teflon myth", I believe coined by Chain), and in the middle of that 06-07 season, Briere could do no right to some.

And I also disagree that Drury was the "initial" catalyst, considering Briere was acquired at the deadline in 02-03, improving the squad instantly (that awful team had a over .500 record down the stretch w/ Briere) and that the team made a run in 03-04 AFTER Hecht-Briere-Dumont were installed as the team's top scoring line after Drury failed to take that job and run with it (only the 2nd time he's failed to be a team's #1 center after coming over from Calgary...in New York he couldn't even handle being a #2 center).
Ah yes... "The Teflon Myth".

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
  #66
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I contended then and I still do now that both should have been the target. They did it different ways but together they were the mojo of this team.
i contend that the real failure was the previous offseason, and the extensions for Kotalik, Connolly, and Afinogenov... and of course not taking the 5 for 25 deal for Briere, and then not doing Drury's extension in season...

I think they were more committed to the real core players... you would've tried to trade the rights to 1 or 2 of those 3 mentioned above... let the others walk. Sign Briere to the 5 for 25, and given Drury the same 5 for 25 extension.

Having both of them at 5 for 25, instead of the other 3 guys averaging 3.3 for 3... would've been much better allocation of the same money for a few years longer...

on that note... can we finally stop talking about this

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
  #67
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,514
vCash: 500
I agree losing Briere sucks. Obviously we're a different team over the past 4 years if he resigns. Obviously he doesn't come back to bite us in the ass if he resigns. Coulda, shoulda, woulda....

What's not being discussed are all the grenades we avoided too -- the Mckees, the Drurys, the Campbells, guys which if resigned would have made us even less competitive.

I'm just saying I don't see an edge in terms of the Sabres' ability to resign the right players. For every Briere, there's a Drury; for every Lydman, there's a Mckee. For every curse, there's a blessing.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  #68
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
You can go back and look at the old debates if you wish. Corto's "date joined" will tell you he was around then, and I can tell you that Fo9, Corto, and myself were VERY vocal about Briere being the catalyst of the league's best offense. Drury simply could do no wrong in the eyes of some (hence recieving the nickname "the teflon myth", I believe coined by Chain), and in the middle of that 06-07 season, Briere could do no right to some.

And I also disagree that Drury was the "initial" catalyst, considering Briere was acquired at the deadline in 02-03, improving the squad instantly (that awful team had a over .500 record down the stretch w/ Briere) and that the team made a run in 03-04 AFTER Hecht-Briere-Dumont were installed as the team's top scoring line after Drury failed to take that job and run with it (only the 2nd time he's failed to be a team's #1 center after coming over from Calgary...in New York he couldn't even handle being a #2 center).
I don't doubt that some people thought Briere should have been the priority. I just think its pretty evident that the common wisdom of the day, whilst ultimately wrong, was to prioritize Drury.

Btw about "initial" catalyst, Briere himself references Drury as one of the single greatest influences on his career.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
  #69
Jeremy2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
As a Flyers fan I would say Briere is overpaid, but not grossly. He's statistically one of the (TSN Bob McKenzie claims best) playoff performers since the lockout. I can see why other teams would be annoyed by his dirty plays, but I don't mind having guys with an edge on my team.

What's the general consensus in Buffalo? Is he missed or glad not to have such a contract?
Out of all the Sabres getting ridiculous contracts, he's the only one I miss.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
  #70
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
You can go back and look at the old debates if you wish. Corto's "date joined" will tell you he was around then, and I can tell you that Fo9, Corto, and myself were VERY vocal about Briere being the catalyst of the league's best offense. Drury simply could do no wrong in the eyes of some (hence recieving the nickname "the teflon myth", I believe coined by Chain), and in the middle of that 06-07 season, Briere could do no right to some.
I would say Briere vs. Drury has been one of the most divisive issues on this message board. Very defined sides and opinions with little bleed between.

Other notable conflicts:
Biron, Miller, or Noronen (ha!)
team toughness
Brian Campbell

I must be missing a bunch more, you forget things that you read and post over the course of so many years...

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
  #71
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
I would say Briere vs. Drury has been one of the most divisive issues on this message board. Very defined sides and opinions with little bleed between.

Other notable conflicts:
Biron, Miller, or Noronen (ha!)
team toughness
Brian Campbell

I must be missing a bunch more, you forget things that you read and post over the course of so many years...
I would say "what level goaltender is Miller" belongs there as a seperate issue from the tri-headed goalie controversy.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:33 PM
  #72
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i contend that the real failure was the previous offseason, and the extensions for Kotalik, Connolly, and Afinogenov... and of course not taking the 5 for 25 deal for Briere, and then not doing Drury's extension in season...

I think they were more committed to the real core players... you would've tried to trade the rights to 1 or 2 of those 3 mentioned above... let the others walk. Sign Briere to the 5 for 25, and given Drury the same 5 for 25 extension.

Having both of them at 5 for 25, instead of the other 3 guys averaging 3.3 for 3... would've been much better allocation of the same money for a few years longer...

on that note... can we finally stop talking about this
Thats the offseason I'm refering to not the summer they left.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:37 PM
  #73
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats the offseason I'm refering to not the summer they left.
Yeah, beyond the mistakes they made after the 06-07 season, it's the refusal to give Briere the extra year that sunk the contract in the offseason before. IIRC the number being tossed around was 4.5 over 5 seasons, and Golisano wouldn't go above 3 years. Unbelievable stupidity.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.