HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
dustyrockon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
I won't fault his effort.Like I've said,he's washed up and is one of the ridiculous contracts that have prevented us from being a contender
I know... But what if... lets just say. We trade him, burry him, waive him, anything to get rid of him. What happens if Gionta decides hmm I dont want to be here anymore. Cammy decides hmm Now I have no one to go have dinner with... (Highly Unlikely yes! Especially since us Fans have showed those two much more love.) But what if...

Realistically I think we are stuck with him for at least 1 more season. Until Bob Gauthier/ Pierre Gainey decide its time.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:20 PM
holyhabs87

I hope to never see him again.

But I don't see Habs putting him on waivers so we have to hope he gets traded.....so yeah, maybe a GM out there thinks they can buy low with him.

I would say its hard to see him play worse next year but I wouldn't be shocked. And no offense to Gionta but him and Gomez are two very one dimensional players. Both will probably benefit from Pacioretty's presence next year so that is the only reason one could be hopeful Gomez will be better next year.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Hat trick for Gomez tonight.

You heard it here first!
How did this not come true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Bruins hat trick?

Let's hope not
Well uh, let's see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Is -3 a hat trick.
Ouch! Guess I was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I know Gomer will never live up to expectations... but nothing is going right for this guy. He has 4 points and is a -6 in the playoffs. So much for the clutch performance that so many supporters were predicting.

I actually feel badly for him
I feel terrible for him too. He seems like a decent enough guy.

Montreal is not the place for him. He's making too much cash and the pressure has gotten to him. I've always said we'd be stuck with him for the duration of his deal but I don't see how the club can continue to have him on the roster. I think he'll be gone one way or another in the offseason.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

He tried.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He tried.
You can't be serious right?

Old
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
He tried.
lol Did he?

No disrespect if you were being serious. But I thought he was going to try. Ill admit that in OT I thought he was going to score the game winner. He was all over the place, Thought he could redeem himself. He redeemed a gtfo out of montreal pass from my side.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Stradale

If the Rangers can pay Redden 6.5M$ to play in the AHL and the Blackhawks can pay Huet 5.6M$ to play in Europe, I don't see why we can't do it with Gomez?

This guy needs to go. Clearing 7.3M$ of our cap space would be awesome. We can easily give that money to Richards.. or rebuilding the defense.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Kirk Muller

We all saw this coming. Fact is he has NEVER been a playoff warrior that people made him out to be. Winning a Cup apparently makes you a playoff warrior no matter how average you played.

Its hard to question many efforts on the team however Gomez's is easy. He was the single biggest disappointment in the playoffs for Montreal.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:32 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Pretty clear he has to go. Believe IF he had lit it up in the playoffs many would have excused his lousy regular season, but he didn't and they won't.

So looks like it's Trade or Hamilton. Hoping for the former, realistically, what are the chances of that?

Old
04-27-2011, 11:35 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
We all saw this coming. Fact is he has NEVER been a playoff warrior that people made him out to be. Winning a Cup apparently makes you a playoff warrior no matter how average you played.

Its hard to question many efforts on the team however Gomez's is easy. He was the single biggest disappointment in the playoffs for Montreal.
99 Points in 140 games... Not a playoff warrior, but a playoff player with experience who should have honestly shown for it in the moments needed by him.

Next year maybe he can shut us all up if he sticks around...

Old
04-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

- He's a vet.
- Was rarely in Martin's doghouse
- Until the organization believes somebody can take his place, he's not going anywhere.
- Do you think they think Desharnais can replace him? Or even Eller? (not what YOU think, but it's what they think)
- Don't you think they'll just hope he rebounds? You clearly think he's not going to get another chance?

He's not going anywhere.....yet. Now, if he doesn't put up points or not a whole lot till December, fans starts booing hard and he becomes a distraction...then he's gone. But not until then.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If the Rangers can pay Redden 6.5M$ to play in the AHL and the Blackhawks can pay Huet 5.6M$ to play in Europe, I don't see why we can't do it with Gomez?

This guy needs to go. Clearing 7.3M$ of our cap space would be awesome. We can easily give that money to Richards.. or rebuilding the defense.
Because this isn't a fictional 8M he's making. You can bury him in the minors, and he'll come off the cap space so you'll be happy, but Molson will still have to pay him 8M, on top of spending about 60M as well. Maybe they can't do that. Maybe they have principles and don't want to do that. Who knows...
They are multimillionaires, but 8M is still a lot of money. I guess we'll see what happens.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrockon View Post
I know... But what if... lets just say. We trade him, burry him, waive him, anything to get rid of him. What happens if Gionta decides hmm I dont want to be here anymore. Cammy decides hmm Now I have no one to go have dinner with... (Highly Unlikely yes! Especially since us Fans have showed those two much more love.) But what if...

Realistically I think we are stuck with him for at least 1 more season. Until Bob Gauthier/ Pierre Gainey decide its time.
Then Gionta is a loser and I would rather compete for 30th than have either him or Gomez. They are all adults and I cannot imagine Gionta would act like a child if Gomez was buried. He is well aware in a salary cap world what the ramifications could be. Regardless, him and Cammalleri did not sign here because of Gomez.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Pretty clear he has to go. Believe IF he had lit it up in the playoffs many would have excused his lousy regular season, but he didn't and they won't.

So looks like it's Trade or Hamilton. Hoping for the former, realistically, what are the chances of that?
With the raise of the cap, some team may have difficulty reaching the floor and are nowhere near being a playoff contender. Phoenix comes to mind but even Dallas could be an option if they lose Richards. I doubt it myself but we may see some fortune.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because this isn't a fictional 8M he's making. You can bury him in the minors, and he'll come off the cap space so you'll be happy, but Molson will still have to pay him 8M, on top of spending about 60M as well. Maybe they can't do that. Maybe they have principles and don't want to do that. Who knows...
They are multimillionaires, but 8M is still a lot of money. I guess we'll see what happens.
But again, why can teams like New-York, Chicago and even Edmonton can do it and we can't. It's not like we are a poor team or something.

And actually next season, he's making 7.5M$ so you see, 500 000$ saved just like that!

So between paying a player 7.5M$ to play in the AHL and knowing you could use 7.3M$ to improve your team considerably OR spending 7.5M$ for a player worth 3M$.. you still lose 4.5M$ AND you don't know what's he's gonna give you so its still a gamble.

So yeah, I guess we'll see but if the Molson really want this team to succeed, getting rid of Gomez would be a great start.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:02 AM
coolasprICE

Remembering my Darche vs Gomez thread; it was met with great resistance back then

funny how mass sentiment can shift in just a few months

Old
04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
He tried.
A+ for effort.

Well, actually its 8+ for effort...

Old
04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Hey what's that talk about Gomez in Hamilton? Don't you know? Gomez is decisive as far as UFA's that are choosing their new team....Wonder which players will now sign here since we have the great Gomez....

Old
04-28-2011, 12:09 AM
m00ks

Meh, I'm still fine with Gomez. Off year. If you can trade him good, but if you can't, not the end of the world. Just get someone else other than Moen or Darche and I can live with him. A healthy Pacioretty and maybe even Markov, should do that line wonders.

Here's hoping he can bounce back.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Stradale

8M$ for that... lol

1 goal in the 2nd half of the season.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Native

if you can find some way to move him, you have to do it. otherwise, come next season, he absolutely has to reinvent himself. in a cap era, you can't justify having his salary vs. production any longer. if we are truly dedicated to moving forward, he's a focal point / stumbling block.

his best years was when he drove the net. he has to change and remaining the same just doesn't cut it. he's mainly peripheral and kills more plays on his own vs. others killing it for him.

love his leadership, character, funny lines, but at the end of the day, a #1 centerman has to produce.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
But again, why can teams like New-York, Chicago and even Edmonton can do it and we can't. It's not like we are a poor team or something.

And actually next season, he's making 7.5M$ so you see, 500 000$ saved just like that!

So between paying a player 7.5M$ to play in the AHL and knowing you could use 7.3M$ to improve your team considerably OR spending 7.5M$ for a player worth 3M$.. you still lose 4.5M$ AND you don't know what's he's gonna give you so its still a gamble.

So yeah, I guess we'll see but if the Molson really want this team to succeed, getting rid of Gomez would be a great start.
I was just saying, maybe they don't want to waste their money like that.

If the Molson are serious business man, they will butt out of any hockey related decision and leave that to their GM.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

How can someone lose their ability in such a short period of time? I mean he's not a 80+ point guy but he's consistently been good for 60+ points/season his entire career. I think two things can happen next season: either he does some soul searching and comes back next season with one of his best seasons in his entire career (Plekanec style) or he falls off the face of the earth.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:45 AM
coolasprICE

if 100,000 fans protest to get rid of Gomez, G.Molson might consider... otherwise, highly unlikely.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Prudentius

Well, it could be an off year, it happens to every player. Look him up mid-way through next season, if he still sucks, yes, bury him in Hamilton. And bulldoze him.

Closed Thread