HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan White......WHY ????? (White headed to Hamilton, page 3)

Old
04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
j52

vCash: 500
Martin has NEVER won anything worth talking about, so how is he a good coach? Did you watch Toe, Scotty, and some of the others who followed them?
Martin seems set in his ways, and too quick to sit youngsters for mistakes, while allowing sleeping vets bumble away games.
Play Weber, limit Gomez's ice time, give White more ice time. Change some of the defence pairings. Play Mara, dump Moen.The coach has to do things when his team throws away two games at home, besides bench Pouliiot! Chicken?

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
JackZap

so he could have Gomez out there duh

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
But don't they have the same amount of Stanley Cups
Zing.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
So we're back to hating Martin again? Cool.

Anyone ever consider that Martin is playing match-ups, and that if he put Eller, White, Pyatt, Desharnais and any other 3rd/4th line guys out more often against Boston lines that they don't matchup well against, they'd be completely exposed and this series would be over in a hurry? Martin is setting these guys up for success and protecting them from failure by using their own strengths and hiding their weaknesses. He's being a good coach. You ever wonder why he has absolutely everyone buying into his systems? Any losses are almost always on the players.
gomez line was out for 4 goals against last game...

if that's our "best option", then maybe we should be competing for the AHL cup instead of the stanley cup

I like the way Martin has the team playing, I just don't like the way he manages his ice time or how he deals with younger players.

each coach has their strengths and weaknesses, and I don't doubt that Martin has this team playing (as a whole) about as well as any coach could given the circumstances (he didn't choose to have Gomez or Spacek on the roster, nor did he choose to have 2 of his top dmen injured).

nevertheless, I think that he could be getting that much more out of the team if he were less hesitant to reward young players when they play well, and a little more patient when they make mistakes (likewise, he could stand to be a little "harder" on the veterans when they put up stinker shifts/games).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You might want to think about the fact that Pyatt's ONLY shift of the entire series when his line could not get out of the zone to save their life was this one with the two rookies. Why in heaven's name should Pyatt have been the one to sit when he had already played 3.75 games without making virtually ANY defensive or positioning mistakes?

Also take a good look at the replay and you will see the chances developed from White's side of the ice and that Pyatt was the one along with the defencemen desperately protecting the slot.

Our top two RW are Gionta and Kostitsyn. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting Ryan White play big minutes in their place? Do you realize his hitting game will disappear with too many minutes? Do you realize he only scored 3 goals in 30 games in the AHL??? You want him on a top-2 NHL line???

I am absolutely sure Ryan White is not ready for that role, does not have the speed or the scoring sense for that role and would never expect such a role himself at this stage of his career. His fans on the other hand...........
I agree with you here coach, I don't agree with you all the time and support every decision management/coaches make all the time like you seem to, but JM isn't the first coach to bench his forth line winger at a crucial point in the game. White has a role, but big minutes in crucial situations isn't one of them.

I have no problem with JM shorting his bench in this stage of the game, especially after the poor shift they had with them completely missing their assignments. I think we can agree Pyatt out of all the things he is, is at least defensively responsible and wasn't to blame for this shift, and the reason Pyatt continued to play while the other 2 didn't.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:00 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
too bad he didn't have the same reaction when the Bergeron line ACTUALLY SCORED against Gomez/Gionta/Moen earlier in the game, or again after that on the tying goal... by the time they got scored on in overtime, it was too late.

wonder if Pyatt/White would have stood around covering air the way gionta did on the game winning goal
So what are you saying? Are you suggesting Ryan White play the minutes of Brian Gionta? Get real millertime, I usually support your views, but you're complaining for the sake of complaining now. There isn't a single coach who would do this, and you know it. His best chance to win is with Gomez, Gionta on the ice. Not Ryan White.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:04 PM
habtastic

Gionta was in the right position on the OT goal. As pointed out by (yes I know...ugh) Norman Flynn, Spacek was supposed to have come around to cover Ryder. Gio was blocking the player from coming to the front of the net. Not Gio's fault.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Martin has NEVER won anything worth talking about, so how is he a good coach? Did you watch Toe, Scotty, and some of the others who followed them?
I didn't know a Jack Adams wasn't anything worth talking about.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
So what are you saying? Are you suggesting Ryan White play the minutes of Brian Gionta? Get real millertime, I usually support your views, but you're complaining for the sake of complaining now. There isn't a single coach who would do this, and you know it. His best chance to win is with Gomez, Gionta on the ice. Not Ryan White.
not at all what I'm saying...

I'm simply pointing out that the argument that Martin "HAS" to play Gomez/Gionta the minutes they are playing, while essentially benching White/Eller in the third period, because the latter can't/wouldn't be able to handle themselves is ludicrous when the former were on the ice for 4 goals against...

4 even strength goals against is awful, I honestly don't believe that Eller-Pyatt-White would have done worse given the same minutes (and again, I'm not arguing that they should be playing 20min/game)

I don't know why it would have to be the extreme of playing White (or Pyatt or DD or Eller) Gomez/Gionta's minutes. I think the simple and reasonable solution, given how clear it is that the Gomez-Gionta-Moen line is neither creating any offensive pressure, nor providing solid defensive coverage, is to balance out those minutes a bit better.

In theory, Gomez & co. should be better off later in the game if they're minutes are scaled down a bit, and conversely, I'd strongly argue that in the minutes they have been out there, Eller-White have not hurt the team (and I'd go as far as to say that they have generally been pretty solid both offensively and defensively) so it stands to reason that bumping them up by 3-4minutes/game wouldn't all of a sudden open the flood gates for the opposition.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:06 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
But don't they have the same amount of Stanley Cups
Exactly. And buddahsmoker can spend the whole season putting that in his pipe and smoking it. Deal with it.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:29 AM
neofury*

Ryan White will be the next NHL superstar 100+ point guy, book it, you read it here first

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Ryan White will be the next NHL superstar 100+ point guy, book it, you read it here first
If by superstar, you mean tough guy and by 100+ point, you mean 100+ PIM, then I totally agree with you.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Habblues

I was so impressed with Ryan tonight.....White`s line was great tonight and should have played in the 3rd period.......Martin wore out his top two lines.......He couldn`t coach a dog fight.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I was so impressed with Ryan tonight.....White`s line was great tonight and should have played in the 3rd period.......Martin wore out his top two lines.......He couldn`t coach a dog fight.
Jacques Martin, showing what it takes to never win the Cup.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Aarex

For once I agree with the haters, But my opinion is that martin simply hasn't adjusted to the new NHL, I'm still pissed about game 3 when we came out of the game flying, dominated the first half of the game, then was forced to turtle the rest ended up losing and gave the bruins momentum.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:56 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
For once I agree with the haters, But my opinion is that martin simply hasn't adjusted to the new NHL, I'm still pissed about game 3 when we came out of the game flying, dominated the first half of the game, then was forced to turtle the rest ended up losing and gave the bruins momentum.
We arent Martin "haters". Just realists.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:00 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

He was playing the white way. That's not how we do on this team. Needs to train with Will Smith in the off season.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Ryan White is a guy you go to war with. Unfortunately, Martin doesn't like to go to war. He likes to sit back and watch his village get pillaged.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Thanks for injecting some sense here.

No matter what the stats say, the Gomez line would play A LOT in a game 7. And that would be true with any coach behind the Montreal bench. You play your supposedly best players and hope they deliver. If they don't, then perhaps the GM will do something about it.

Suggesting to play Ryan White instead Gionta is just monumentally ludicrous. Does anyone seriously think Ruins wouldn't score if we play Ryan White instead of Gionta? Ryan White playing Gionta's minutes and against more skilled players? Get real!

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
zzoo

Will White join Bulldogs now ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Habblues

Let me be clear, I didn`t say White should be playing top line minutes last night and in game 6 BUT he sure as hell deserved to play a regular shift during the last half of those games. He hit everything that moved and created some scoring chances. My kind of player.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Will White join Bulldogs now ?
Yes and should be a welcome addition. Based on last nights game the Moose will goon it up and with Whitey in the line-up with Bonneau and Schultz it will take some pressure off of Henry to get into fights. We only have three really seasoned Dmen and although the defense is playing well now over the long haul we need our veterans on the ice not the box.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Turboflex*

it is Jacques Martin fault the Habs missed a half dozen open nets in every loss. He should be coaching them to score the goals not to shoot wide or into Thomas' pads. Ryan White would be the next Cory Perry IF ONLY HE HAD A CHANCE.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
it is Jacques Martin fault the Habs missed a half dozen open nets in every loss. He should be coaching them to score the goals not to shoot wide or into Thomas' pads. Ryan White would be the next Cory Perry IF ONLY HE HAD A CHANCE.
You left out the smilie.

No one is saying that White would have been a goal scoring phenom against the Bruins if he had more ice time.

We lost 3 games in OT. Our smurfs were gassed in overtime after Martin went with basically 2 lines carrying the load in the 3rd Period.

We had White and Pyatt on the bench for the entire 3rd Period. White played strong on defense and was not turning the puck over. Pyatt is a shut down defensive player who gets PK time.

Why didnt Jacques use White and Pyatt for 5 shifts or so in the 3rd Period to give Gomez and Pleks a rest? White and Pyatt would not have given up goals. They were solid when they were on the ice.

If the Gomez and Pleks line had a little more rest, they might have played better in the OT. Plus, White banging on the Bruins is a good thing and would have worn them down a bit as well.

But, Jacques is Jacques and he will always be sitting at home watching some other team win the Stanley Cup.

Old
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You left out the smilie.

No one is saying that White would have been a goal scoring phenom against the Bruins if he had more ice time.

We lost 3 games in OT. Our smurfs were gassed in overtime after Martin went with basically 2 lines carrying the load in the 3rd Period.

We had White and Pyatt on the bench for the entire 3rd Period. White played strong on defense and was not turning the puck over. Pyatt is a shut down defensive player who gets PK time.

Why didnt Jacques use White and Pyatt for 5 shifts or so in the 3rd Period to give Gomez and Pleks a rest? White and Pyatt would not have given up goals. They were solid when they were on the ice.

If the Gomez and Pleks line had a little more rest, they might have played better in the OT. Plus, White banging on the Bruins is a good thing and would have worn them down a bit as well.

But, Jacques is Jacques and he will always be sitting at home watching some other team win the Stanley Cup.
Disagree. Our smurfs dominated all 3 ot periods.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote