HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jhonas Enroth

Old
04-26-2011, 09:40 PM
luby3131

vCash: 500
Jhonas Enroth

Diminutive 22 year old tender looked sharp all season, but is stuck behind Ryan Miller in Buffalo. What would it take to land him?

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Sabreality

Buffalo finally gets a capable young backup to rest Miller. he's not moving unless you give up your 1C.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Buffalo finally gets a capable young backup to rest Miller. he's not moving unless you give up your 1C.
yes, but this is a hypothetical thread

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

A proposal is going to have to give Buffalo more incentive to trade him than, "poor guy is really good but stuck behind Miller..."

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Can I intrest you in Stephen Weiss? Enroth, a 1st, and another pick for Weiss might appeal to the Panthers

Old
04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Can I intrest you in Stephen Weiss? Enroth, a 1st, and another pick for Weiss might appeal to the Panthers
Buffalo wouldn't offer that package for Weiss. They've given away far too many points over the last three seasons because of subpar goaltenders. Enroth will be able to provide Miller more rest (I suspect we'll see Miller around 60+ starts) and win games for the team.

Given the likely cost in assets, I don't see Weiss anywhere near the top of Buffalo's wish list.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Chungo

Only way this happens is when Enroth meets his last RFA season and gets traded like Halak...Only less value

Chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Why in all the world would Florida even want Enroth with Markstrom coming up?

And to answer your question: He's not available unless in a package for a young (potential) top 6 center.

No, do not want Weiss for that package. Not with the possibility of picking Scheifele, McNeill or Zibanejad.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:45 AM
lifeisruff

Quote:
The Sabres aren't going to give up 3 assets for a player who is slightly more productive then Tim Connolly.

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
JPurp26

I like Enroth, and would consider trading him as part of a package for a top center, other then that unless it was a really good value trade for a another Sabres need, I would be happy to have him and Miller as our goalies next year

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Only as part of a bigger package for a 1C of 2/3 D.

We finally have a backup for the first time in 3 years who can give Miller rest. He's more valuable to Buffalo than the average backup is.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Why in all the world would Florida even want Enroth with Markstrom coming up?

And to answer your question: He's not available unless in a package for a young (potential) top 6 center.

No, do not want Weiss for that package. Not with the possibility of picking Scheifele, McNeill or Zibanejad.
The Panthers are in fact looking for a young #1 goaltender. Jacob Markstrom is not nearly ready, and will spend next season, and possibly the year after, in the minors. Florida has taken looks at Schneider and Bernier, while Enroth is definitely on their radar. A tandem of Enroth-Markstrom in the future sounds amazing.

On the topic of your 1st round pick, McNeill and Zibanjed both won't be there when you guys pick.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
ct2111

Quote:
The Panthers are in fact looking for a young #1 goaltender. Jacob Markstrom is not nearly ready, and will spend next season, and possibly the year after, in the minors. Florida has taken looks at Schneider and Bernier, while Enroth is definitely on their radar. A tandem of Enroth-Markstrom in the future sounds amazing.

On the topic of your 1st round pick, McNeill and Zibanjed both won't be there when you guys pick.
Fine, gimme Scheifele then. And McNeill is ranked right around where the Sabres pick, saying he won't be available is false. Prospects after the top players fall/rise five or more places all the time.

Sorry, but there needs to be a guy better than Weiss coming back to justify trading Enroth and the 1st rounder imo.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Buffalo finally gets a good backup after years of Lalime and mayhem... they don't need to ride Miller into the ground like they have each of the last two years. A little bit more rest and he'll be a sharper, better 'tender. That alone makes it unlikely that they would deal Enroth right now.

As well, Enroth seemed to handle time on the bench between starts pretty well --- he went in and has the confidence of both his coach and his teammates. They don't really need to deal him, not when he fills what has been a hole for them now since basically Biron left.

04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Fine, gimme Scheifele then. And McNeill is ranked right around where the Sabres pick, saying he won't be available is false. Prospects after the top players fall/rise five or more places all the time.

Sorry, but there needs to be a guy better than Weiss coming back to justify trading Enroth and the 1st rounder imo.
Ok, but I'm saying, a package with Weiss being the main piece going to Buffalo and Enroth being the main piece coming back to Florda wouldn't appeal to you?

Old
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Ok, but I'm saying, a package with Weiss being the main piece going to Buffalo and Enroth being the main piece coming back to Florda wouldn't appeal to you?
Well, if Buffalo gives up their 1st too, then I wouldn't say that Enroth is the main piece, more like two main pieces. Sure I'd do Enroth + something minor, sure I'd do the 1st + something minor, but the two together is from my perspective a no-go.

I admit that I'm not really a big fan of Weiss and that I have my reservations about him, but in my opinion it would be the better option to re-sign Connolly for something reasonable than give up that much for Weiss. Enroth was a big part of the playoff push and contrary to belief he fills a big need. As Chainshot has stated, he's the first back-up goalie that Ruff really trusts since ages and the consequence of him not trusting any of his back-ups is a tired Miller that has to start 70+ games. Not ideal for the playoffs. With Enroth they don't only get a capable back-up, but a guy who can start 20+ games and steal you some of these games. From my perspective his value hasn't peaked yet and the Sabres are better off keeping him and letting him develop until they have no choice but to make a choice (aka last year of RFA or more unrealistically outplaying Miller). And the Sabres keep their mid-first, now I agree that people tend to overrate picks, but they sorely lack center prospects with top 6 upside and with McNeill/Scheifele ranked right around #16 they have a chance to fill that void with an excellent prospect.

The upside of having Weiss is simply not worth that imo. I don't want to comment on value in a vacuum as in Weiss being worth more/less/equal (as in goalies don't have much value and other stuff), but imo the Sabres are better off keeping both of their assets in this situation.

Last edited by ct2111: 04-27-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old
04-27-2011, 05:09 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Yeah, good backups go for #1 centers all the time.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
the question was, what would it take???

Buffalo has NO need to move him outside of overpayment. He's been developed, has shown his worth and could be a future #1 in this league.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It's called package.

And nobody with common sense would trade for Enroth to be their future backup, well, maybe they do in Philadelphia.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Jimbo7200

I keep suggesting this trade and never really get flamed so here it goes....

Detroit gets:
Drew Stafford
Jhonas Enroth
2011 4th round pick

Buffalo gets:
Val Filppula
2011 1st round pick
Low-end prospect ( ie. Logan Pyett)

That is atleast a good base for a deal, the picks can be reworked.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I keep suggesting this trade and never really get flamed so here it goes....

Detroit gets:
Drew Stafford
Jhonas Enroth
2011 4th round pick

Buffalo gets:
Val Filppula
2011 1st round pick
Low-end prospect ( ie. Logan Pyett)

That is atleast a good base for a deal, the picks can be reworked.
it's probably fair value wise... but doesnt address Buffalo's needs enough to be worth while.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Stephen

I feel like Enroth is one of those guys you don't necessarily want to trade for and not a guy you trade away. Hard to pinpoint a value on him individually, since goalie values are usually not that high, his pedigree isn't fantastic, his size is less than desirable, yet he does a good job for Buffalo in relief/emergency. Not sure why a team would trade a more significant player to get a package including Enroth as a big component either, since I doubt teams look at him like a future number one. It's way easier to just go and sign a Rynnas like the Leafs did.

To me, he stays in Buffalo and nobody calls about him...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote