HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi and Murray Interviews 4/27

Old
04-27-2011, 05:08 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Lombardi and Murray Interviews 4/27

LOTS of stuff is going to be posted today, so keep checking back for updates:

Lombardi and Murray discuss Penner:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...dustin-penner/

(Cliff's notes - Penner's conditioning was a real problem. He's got to get in shape this off-season first and foremost; Doughty needs to improve his conditioning as well; called Kopitar's conditioning "average")

Lombardi talks good and bad about the season:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...sappointments/

Cliff's notes: Maturity (or lack thereof) played a significant role this season in a lot of different areas that Lombardi talks about in detail; How valuable playoff experience was and will be in helping the players mature into better players.

Lombardi and Murray on Drew Doughty:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...-drew-doughty/

Cliff's notes: Call Gary Roberts this off-season and get proper conditioning. Talked about what Stamkos went through from a conditioning perspective. Wants to see Drew do that as well.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-27-2011 at 06:07 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Tadite

Great stuff. !

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
William H Bonney

Oh, Lombardi, when you're making a good point don't fudge it by using ridiculous hyperbole to try and state your case:

Quote:
Stamkos, great scorer, first pick in the draft, he’s not scoring for two years so he says, `That’s it, I’m going to go get in shape.’ And he goes and spends the summer with Roberts and now you’ve got a 60-goal scorer.”
Stamkos had a rough opening first half in his rookie year. He finished that year by scoring 19 points in his last 20 games and then had a great World Championships tournament. He then went on to have 51 goals and 44 assists in his 2nd year.

If 95 points is struggling, can some more Kings do that?

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-27-2011 at 08:57 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

It's not a bad spot to be in when conditioning seems to be the biggest problem.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
It's not a bad spot to be in when conditioning seems to be the biggest problem.

For so many years it was all about what can be done to make the Kings a playoff team again. Now it's all about what can be done so that the Kings can win a round or two (or 4!). It's a nice change.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:38 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Looks like TM wants Handzus & Poni back but it's not like he'll flat out say "There's no room for these guys next year"

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Looks like TM wants Handzus & Poni back but it's not like he'll flat out say "There's no room for these guys next year"
IIRC, he always says he wants players back. Obviously he doesn't mind saying that because he doesn't make that decision.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

And obviously Rich wouldn't want to put Lombardi in that situation lol

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

lol at his potshot at Kovy...sheesh.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
IIRC, he always says he wants players back. Obviously he doesn't mind saying that because he doesn't make that decision.
Exactly, he said the same about Frolov last year.

ďThis is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!Ē - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Oh boy... Lombardi and Murray on the power play:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...ss-power-play/

To hell with what Murray said about it (it's nothing new) - keep en eye on Lombardi's comments.

“I’ve got to look at the personnel. The coach has to look at how we get out best player out there in a productive role, and then the player has got to figure it out. So I think there’s an element of all three there. And it usually shows up in zone entry. It’s not just when you’re getting in the box. It’s when you’re gaining the zone with possession, versus having to dump it in and spend 20 seconds getting it back. That’s kind of telling you some things there. But we were still good enough getting in there, as we saw two years ago, and our top guy was in situations where he could be productive. So clearly, when you ask the coaches would could be better and what has to be better, the power play is going to be at the top of their list.”

Old
04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Oh boy... Lombardi and Murray on the power play:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...ss-power-play/

To hell with what Murray said about it (it's nothing new) - keep en eye on Lombardi's comments.

ďIíve got to look at the personnel. The coach has to look at how we get out best player out there in a productive role, and then the player has got to figure it out. So I think thereís an element of all three there. And it usually shows up in zone entry. Itís not just when youíre getting in the box. Itís when youíre gaining the zone with possession, versus having to dump it in and spend 20 seconds getting it back. Thatís kind of telling you some things there. But we were still good enough getting in there, as we saw two years ago, and our top guy was in situations where he could be productive. So clearly, when you ask the coaches would could be better and what has to be better, the power play is going to be at the top of their list.Ē
I love how Lombardi talks about how the overall powerplay has to be better, from scope, to personnel, to execution... and Murray just says the powerplay is fine, but has to be executed better.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Haik

So I guess the only thing holding this team back is conditioning?

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Mattias

Kopitar logged a crazy amount of minutes yet his conditioning is 'average' ?

Wow.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Conditioning=goals

amirite????

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Conditioning=goals

amirite????
When your best players can stay out longer and end up playing against lesser competition, yes I'd say so.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:36 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Kopitar logged a crazy amount of minutes yet his conditioning is 'average' ?

Wow.
Don't get me wrong Kopitar busts his butt on the backcheck and in his own end, but I think there are times when he does take a bit of a break in the opposing team's zone. It's one of the reasons he doesn't get to the middle often enough with enough authority.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
We don't really have a team of workout warriors, so to put in place a culture where that becomes prevalent among our star players, do we need to add some of those kinds of guys to the roster? Poor conditioning is a symptom of having such a young team. Instilling great conditioning into the team is a matter of having the right complementary veteran players.

If we got rid of Stoll, and Greene (which I have considered), who in the world would we have that actually does these things during the offseason? I can't think of ANY other veteran players on this team noted league-wide for their conditioning and work ethic. The conditioning problem seems to plague our roster in total, not just amongst one or two players.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
So according to Murray the powerplay was all Doughty and Kopitar's fault, and even though they sucked, it was still good enough for him and needs no more thought put into it than what already has been... Yikes.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Nex06

Lombardi: "But thatís the irony of it. We all looked at it and thought missing his offense (would be big), but we end up missing his defense."

You could have asked me, Deano, I would have told you so on 27th March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
BTW, is there anyone else who thinks that Kopitar will be harder to replace in defense than in offense? Sure, Kopitar is a big magnet for opposition D, they don't have to double anyone now, but still - as it has been mentioned - the scoring is well distributed and it might become even more distributed (because both Williams and especially Kopitar played big minutes). In defense, on the other hand, when facing the guys that Kopitar has been facing this season, there will be a big hole
Nobody seemed to agree with me at that time, though.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:13 AM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I love how Lombardi talks about how the overall powerplay has to be better, from scope, to personnel, to execution... and Murray just says the powerplay is fine, but has to be executed better.
Well... Murray is the personnel, so I dont think he is going to be complaining about that.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:18 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Lombardi: "But thatís the irony of it. We all looked at it and thought missing his offense (would be big), but we end up missing his defense."

You could have asked me, Deano, I would have told you so on 27th March.

Nobody seemed to agree with me at that time, though.
Hey I'll admit it you were right. Kopitar in place of Richardson watching Thornton during some key moments in that series probably makes a huge difference.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
So according to Murray the powerplay was all Doughty and Kopitar's fault, and even though they sucked, it was still good enough for him and needs no more thought put into it than what already has been... Yikes.
I actually understood Lombardi's thoughts to be directed primarily at coaches. I read following statements to have most "meat":

- The coach has to look at how we get out best player out there in a productive role

- So clearly, when you ask the coaches would could be better and what has to be better, the power play is going to be at the top of their list.Ē

Murray on the other hand says that instructions are fine and execution is not. If that is true then players ARE to be blamed. I think this should be pretty easy to check. Just write down the instructions and next morning go through each PP action and see if it's done like the instructions suggest. If it is and there is no production, then change the instructions. Personally I just can't imagine that players would not follow the instructions, the coaches would destroy them after the game, especially since these criticisms from fans AND Lombardi have been loud whole season.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:52 AM
northernKing

I'd love to see what DL has to say about Cammalleri having two back to back solid playoffs. It would probably be something along the lines of " sure he scored a point per game but how many pushups can he do?" or " I'd rather have a .50 PPG scorer in the finals than a point per game scorer in the first two rounds"

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:56 AM
northernKing

LA's pp needs to be built around Kopitar, Doughty and Johnson carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Also with Handzus likely gone Penner and Brown should see more time in front of the net.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote