HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi and Murray Interviews 4/27

Old
04-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

vCash: 500
Then, all of a sudden, the playoffs start and we were very uncharacteristic in what is supposed to be a staple of our game. I told you this three years ago, that we’re going to build this from the back out. Defensively, it’s the first step. We were fourth in the league in goals against, and we accomplished that. Then we got in the playoffs and we scored goals and all of a sudden we’re giving them up. So that’s something we’ve got to look at closely.

So I wonder if the problem was the team didn't believe in the system and that's why the staple didn't hold. Just musing.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:58 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I'd love to see what DL has to say about Cammalleri having two back to back solid playoffs. It would probably be something along the lines of " sure he scored a point per game but how many pushups can he do?" or " I'd rather have a .50 PPG scorer in the finals than a point per game scorer in the first two rounds"
How about something along the lines of, good for him, we knew he was a good player, too bad he didn't want to stay here, we wish him good luck...

Naw....that wouldn't fit anyone's conspiracy theories...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:59 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Then, all of a sudden, the playoffs start and we were very uncharacteristic in what is supposed to be a staple of our game. I told you this three years ago, that we’re going to build this from the back out. Defensively, it’s the first step. We were fourth in the league in goals against, and we accomplished that. Then we got in the playoffs and we scored goals and all of a sudden we’re giving them up. So that’s something we’ve got to look at closely.

So I wonder if the problem was the team didn't believe in the system and that's why the staple didn't hold. Just musing.
I think it's just youth, lack of maturity/focus..

Old
04-28-2011, 02:15 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
How about something along the lines of, good for him, we knew he was a good player, too bad he didn't want to stay here, we wish him good luck...

Naw....that wouldn't fit anyone's conspiracy theories...
Really? I remember watching an interview with him and he said he loved playing in LA. Personally I think it had more to due with the fact DL probably didn't want to give him market value. Why else would DL mention the whole thing about preferring a 25-30 goal scorer on a playoff team to a 35-40 goal scorer on a non playoff team?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:23 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Really? I remember watching an interview with him and he said he loved playing in LA. Personally I think it had more to due with the fact DL probably didn't want to give him market value. Why else would DL mention the whole thing about preferring a 25-30 goal scorer on a playoff team to a 35-40 goal scorer on a non playoff team?
LOL Of course he loved playing in LA, he was under contract at the time, everyone says they love where they at, do you not remember Kovalchuk, he LOVED playing Atlanta....see how that turned out...

Do you not remember Cammalleri saying he wanted to play in a Canadian city?

Old
04-28-2011, 03:24 AM
northernKing

Quote:
LOL Of course he loved playing in LA, he was under contract at the time, everyone says they love where they at, do you not remember Kovalchuk, he LOVED playing Atlanta....see how that turned out...

Do you not remember Cammalleri saying he wanted to play in a Canadian city?
I do remember him saying he had wanted to play in a Canadian city but was under the impression that had LA offered him a deal he would have stayed. Often spoke of being in LA when they turned things around. I guess no one really knows but would be great to have him on this young and up and coming team. Instead we have Penner to show for that deal

Cammalleri is exactly what this team needs and that is a sniper with a shoot first mentality. Ever since trading him LA has spent many unsuccessful summers trying to replace his scoring.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:29 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Don't get me wrong Kopitar busts his butt on the backcheck and in his own end, but I think there are times when he does take a bit of a break in the opposing team's zone. It's one of the reasons he doesn't get to the middle often enough with enough authority.
I think they should look into cutting his PK minutes, I remember looking at stats and outside of Mike Richards and Toews not many top forwards play close or more than Kopitar does, but with Handzus likely not coming back it's probably going to go the other way instead, unless Lewis and Stoll start logging more.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Nex06

All good players take pride in playing on the PK. I don't think there is anything wrong with Kopitar's minutes. He needs to play a lot in all situations, he is a franchise player. And PK is damn important. As you said, at the moment he can't be taken of PK at all, unless we want to see Smyth/Penner as the top PK unit. After Zues leaves it will probably be Kopitar/Lewis, since I don't expect rookies to take important role there. I have to say I always felt very confident when PK unit was Kopitar/Zues, that was usually gold.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Kingler

I think both did a bang up job of blaming others

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:13 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
It's not a bad spot to be in when conditioning seems to be the biggest problem.
If only that were true...

Conditioning is an issue for a couple of players, but as a team, conditioning doesn't appear to be THE issue.

In Goals Against per period, the Kings were

Period 1 - 5th in the NHL
Period 2 - 13th in the NHL
Period 3 - 4th in the NHL

In Goals For per period, the Kings were

Period 1 - 16th in the NHL
Period 2 - 10th in the NHL
Period 3 - 8th in the NHL

Their relative performance IMPROVED as the game went on, except for the 2nd period defensive slump. That doesn't point to conditioning - IMO, that points to motivation and/or focus.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If only that were true...

Conditioning is an issue for a couple of players, but as a team, conditioning doesn't appear to be THE issue.

In Goals Against per period, the Kings were

Period 1 - 5th in the NHL
Period 2 - 13th in the NHL
Period 3 - 4th in the NHL
Ironic how the 2nd period is our worst period by far... Game 3 anyone? Ugh...

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I don't know. Doing horrible during the 2nd definitely points towards conditioning. It's the long change. So there are often longer shifts.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:56 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I don't know. Doing horrible during the 2nd definitely points towards conditioning. It's the long change. So there are often longer shifts.
Good call on the long defensive change, but using that theory, wouldn't the offense in the 3rd period suffer as well? The offense steadily increased as the game went on AND the 3rd period defense was the stingiest of the game.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Clearly, the Kings need to bring in a second period coach to shore things up.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray in interview with Hammond
They pinched for the first time in the series, and were very hard down the boards with their D-men.
That's in reference to game 6--which I guess partially explains why game 3 was such a disaster. It seemed obvious to me that San Jose started pressuring the high forwards in the defensive zone and seriously disrupted the Kings' breakout. That wasn't the only problem in that game, but this quote really supports the argument that Murray doesn't adjust enough tactically, within games.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Clearly, the Kings need to bring in a second period coach to shore things up.
I second that.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Don't get me wrong Kopitar busts his butt on the backcheck and in his own end, but I think there are times when he does take a bit of a break in the opposing team's zone. It's one of the reasons he doesn't get to the middle often enough with enough authority.
The reason Kopitar does not go into the middle more often is not conditioning its fear. Kopitar is soft he does not like to go into the tough areas. This is one of the reasons he has been pretty much injury free. Its just not Kopitar its many players (Typical of Euros) The guys who are consistently in between the circles are the players I love but those players pay a price. Adam Deadmarsh I'm talking to you.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
LadyKing17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Good call on the long defensive change, but using that theory, wouldn't the offense in the 3rd period suffer as well? The offense steadily increased as the game went on AND the 3rd period defense was the stingiest of the game.
I don't know if a long change would affect the offense as much as the defense. Whenever there's sustained pressure in one end, it seems to me like the defense is doing more running around than the offense, so the defense would get tired faster. Also, a lot of offensive opportunities start on the rush in the defensive end. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

LadyKing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Johnny Utah

The latest comments from TM pretty much calling out Simmonds for not fighting or being as aggressive as he was his first 2 years. I agree,

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Duc620

I tell you what, tho... Simmonds became a bull dog on the puck, taking and keeping pucks. He really improved on that, an absolute terror on the puck.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Kopitar logged a crazy amount of minutes yet his conditioning is 'average' ?

Wow.
... That's ridiculously false, also. His conditioning is very good, and it was remarkable how often he was able to turn in good shifts late in games after being targeted physically by the other team. For being really the only impact forward on the team, I thought he was incredibly durable and tough, and it took a freak injury to finally bring him down.

Quote:
... Ahhh yes another one of these myths that, if repeated over and over, will somehow suddenly become truth. The reason Kopitar's point totals weren't higher was due to the constant disarray on his line and the comparative lack of NHL experience and/or talent from his linemates. Taking a look at other competitive teams' first lines and comparing them to the Kings really shows this. The Kings' first line outside of Kopitar was a bad joke at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
So according to Murray the powerplay was all Doughty and Kopitar's fault, and even though they sucked, it was still good enough for him and needs no more thought put into it than what already has been... Yikes.
... First off, I think it just simply went into a slump. Look at it like this: the Kings had roughly about 500-550 minutes worth of PP time this season. So, that's about nine games worth of PP time. Have you seen teams go on scoring slumps for nine game periods? Of course.

Second, it was the personnel the Kings were sending out there. I don't think the Kings are deep enough offensively talent-wise to have a good PP. Smyth and Handzus, in particular, aren't the players they once were and probably shouldn't have seen as much PP time as they did. When Kopitar was on the PP, teams would just shut off his passing lanes, pay little attention to his linemates, and force Kopitar to beat them with his initial shot. If Kopitar drove inside, they'd just collapse on him and force him to either give the puck off to someone less dangerous or lose the puck. Pretty easy to defend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I think both did a bang up job of blaming others
... The bad workers blame their tools. The good workers don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
The reason Kopitar does not go into the middle more often is not conditioning its fear. Kopitar is soft he does not like to go into the tough areas. This is one of the reasons he has been pretty much injury free. Its just not Kopitar its many players (Typical of Euros) The guys who are consistently in between the circles are the players I love but those players pay a price. Adam Deadmarsh I'm talking to you.
... B.S. Kopitar was in the middle as often as anyone on the team. He goes into the high-traffic areas all the time. Because Kopitar is the Kings' best forward, he MAKES whatever area he's in a high-traffic area, because teams are afraid of him being the one to beat them. Before every game, you don't think opposing coaches aren't saying "make sure Kopitar doesn't beat us, keep him out of the middle"? Of course they are.

Deadmarsh was an effective player mainly because he got to play with linemates who were better than he was, guys who the defense worried more about than him. If I'm a defenseman, and I see Palffy and Allison entering the zone, my partner and I are more prone to go over and check them than Deadmarsh. Same thing in Colorado; if he's playing with Sakic and Forsberg on his line, or Sakic and Kamensky, or Forsberg and Claude Lemieux, do you think they're going to leave Deadmarsh more open than his linemates? Of course they will.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
I tell you what, tho... Simmonds became a bull dog on the puck, taking and keeping pucks. He really improved on that, an absolute terror on the puck.
I have to disagree with this statement, unfortunately.

If all you are remembering is the playoffs, then yes, he improved his strength on the puck in the playoffs versus the regular season; however, Simmonds took a big step backwards in regards to this when you look at his work from the season before.

"Grinder of the Year" became a guy who didn't get many chances to control the puck along the boards and, when he did, he didn't come out with it as often as last year.

I think a large factor for this was his linemates this past season. Handzus lost a step and it wasn't until he was put with his old buddy from last season--Richardson--and another good skater in Clifford that we saw the Simmonds we came to expect from last season.

Dump and chase doesn't work if you can't get to the puck quick enough. Hopefully, next season, we won't have to see Simmonds working with a slow center.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Disagree slightly,

Yes, he got the puck, then he made piss poor decisions with it,

Old
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Disagree slightly,

Yes, he got the puck, then he made piss poor decisions with it,

I've been thinking that Simmonds may have made the classic mistake of getting bigger to fast. Guy was noticeably larger coming into the season but I think he over-emphasized size and lost a step or two of speed. He didn't seem to have the ability to get to the puck or when he was there to have the agility to hold it.

You see this in college sports all the time. Kids worry to much about size but not what that size is made from. All muscle is not the same.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... That's ridiculously false, also. His conditioning is very good, and it was remarkable how often he was able to turn in good shifts late in games after being targeted physically by the other team. For being really the only impact forward on the team, I thought he was incredibly durable and tough, and it took a freak injury to finally bring him down.

... Ahhh yes another one of these myths that, if repeated over and over, will somehow suddenly become truth. The reason Kopitar's point totals weren't higher was due to the constant disarray on his line and the comparative lack of NHL experience and/or talent from his linemates. Taking a look at other competitive teams' first lines and comparing them to the Kings really shows this. The Kings' first line outside of Kopitar was a bad joke at times.

... First off, I think it just simply went into a slump. Look at it like this: the Kings had roughly about 500-550 minutes worth of PP time this season. So, that's about nine games worth of PP time. Have you seen teams go on scoring slumps for nine game periods? Of course.

Second, it was the personnel the Kings were sending out there. I don't think the Kings are deep enough offensively talent-wise to have a good PP. Smyth and Handzus, in particular, aren't the players they once were and probably shouldn't have seen as much PP time as they did. When Kopitar was on the PP, teams would just shut off his passing lanes, pay little attention to his linemates, and force Kopitar to beat them with his initial shot. If Kopitar drove inside, they'd just collapse on him and force him to either give the puck off to someone less dangerous or lose the puck. Pretty easy to defend.

... The bad workers blame their tools. The good workers don't.

... B.S. Kopitar was in the middle as often as anyone on the team. He goes into the high-traffic areas all the time. Because Kopitar is the Kings' best forward, he MAKES whatever area he's in a high-traffic area, because teams are afraid of him being the one to beat them. Before every game, you don't think opposing coaches aren't saying "make sure Kopitar doesn't beat us, keep him out of the middle"? Of course they are.

Deadmarsh was an effective player mainly because he got to play with linemates who were better than he was, guys who the defense worried more about than him. If I'm a defenseman, and I see Palffy and Allison entering the zone, my partner and I are more prone to go over and check them than Deadmarsh. Same thing in Colorado; if he's playing with Sakic and Forsberg on his line, or Sakic and Kamensky, or Forsberg and Claude Lemieux, do you think they're going to leave Deadmarsh more open than his linemates? Of course they will.
Well said! Kopitar is one of the few top 10-20 scorers that plays with pretty much no other top end talent. Williams had a very good bounce back year and hopefully it continues, but he is not an elite level player. Funny note is that 6 of the top 8 PP's in the playoffs came from teams that lost in the first round!

Also while I agree that LA doesn't have enough weapons for an awesome power play, sometimes its also in the planning.I mean Washington's PP was ranked 16th and only 1.4% better than ours and they have two of the leagues top 10 snipers and a top 5 playmaker on their roster.