HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Just thinking...

Old
04-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Breeze 44

vCash: 500
Just thinking...

My friend and I were talking about the Flyers and who would be here next year and who we thought wouldn't and some possible trades. We both want to trade Carter and both came up with the Kings (only because we know we can't get Bobby Ryan) but we both said Carter for Quick and Simmonds but thought we might have to add something else...not a star, but a lower end guy. What do you think? Also feel Betts will be gone.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
PhillyFlying

i'm sure the rest of the NHL will just be lining up to snag jeff "clutch" carter and his 11 year contract from us.

so you might as well enjoy his quiet 30-40 goal seasons while they're still coming.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Breeze 44

It's not that we don't like Carter, though I don't like that contract, it's just that I think we could use him to help in other areas of weakness like a wing and goal. We are pretty set down the middle for the next few years with Richards, Briere and Giroux, just putting it out there.

Old
decadentia

To everyone who is suddenly talking about trading Carter again...i'll give you some advice.

1. Turn on your Xbox
2. Select the Flyers
3. Trade Carter until your heart's content

It's the only way he's going anywhere, they signed him for 11 years for a reason. Deal with it.

Ever hear how people don't like hearing what you dream about? This is the same thing.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JVR21
G

Quick and Simmonds for Carter, and we have to add? The guy is bad in the playoffs, but he is our perennial leading goal scorer and he's still young.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
To everyone who is suddenly talking about trading Carter again...i'll give you some advice.

1. Turn on your Xbox
2. Select the Flyers
3. Trade Carter until your heart's content

It's the only way he's going anywhere, they signed him for 11 years for a reason. Deal with it.

Ever hear how people don't like hearing what you dream about? This is the same thing.
Calm down Francis...who pi55ed in your cereal today or did your X-Box break?

Old
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
It's not that we don't like Carter, though I don't like that contract, it's just that I think we could use him to help in other areas of weakness like a wing and goal. We are pretty set down the middle for the next few years with Richards, Briere and Giroux, just putting it out there.
You want to help a weakness on wing by trading a guy that played SOLID two-way wing this year and posted a 36 goal season?

That makes sense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Quick and Simmonds for Carter, and we have to add? The guy is bad in the playoffs, but he is our perennial leading goal scorer and he's still young.
No, I don't think so, but you know how we like to throw players or picks in to everything!!

Old
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
buff

Carter is a natural goal scorer and have one of the best wrist shot in the world. We need him for season first and we know all is not the real deal for playoff but i can live with that.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Carter is a natural goal scorer and have one of the best wrist shot in the world. We need him for season first and we know all is not the real deal for playoff but i can live with that.
Jeff Carter will get his... people just throw up the panic button way too fast over this type of stuff. In Carter's case, the biggest problem for him int he playoffs is that he keeps getting hurt with freaky stuff.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Carter is not going anywhere unless something magical happens, like the Caps offering Ovechkin for Carter and Michael Leighton.
He's a Flyer for life, pretty much.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Cartsiephan*

This would have been the move last season, but LA is not going to give up Quick right now IMO. If Philly was going to deal with a team and get a guy who could step in at a young age and be a quality goalie it would be Schneider.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
El Emperor

If the Flyers seriously were thinking of trading the guy, they would have waited to see if any team would attempt to throw an offer sheet his way as an RFA like Toronto did with Phil Kessel. His 11 year contract is evidence enough to know that he isn't going anywhere too quickly.

And for the exception of Carter's injury history, I do not think it's out of the question that GMs would consider an 11 year contract for just over 5 million per year because when the guy is healthy, he scores goals. If he happens to return for a playoff series this season and puts up "Briere" type playoff numbers, I would assume there would be at least a few GMs thinking about it.

The short answer... Jeff Carter will be a Flyers for several years, get used to it.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
infidelappel*

Carter isn't going anywhere at this point. If he were going to be traded, it would have been before the long-term deal. I was always in favor of listening to proposals for him before since I'm part of the group who doesn't think he is essential to this team, but at this point he's here and that's not gonna change.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
You don't like that contract?
Please explain me, how a cap-hit of $5.27mil for a 25year old 6'3" 200lbs center who plays solid defensively and is top5 (iirc) in goalscoring the last over the last 3 seasons a bad contract?
Look around the league and you'll notice that there aren't a lot of better guys signed to a similar or better contract than Jeff Carter.

There's also no need for an extra thread for this, we have like 173 threads for proposals and roster stuff.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The flyers have made their bed with Richards and Carter, two young talented two way centermen that 5 years from now will be severly underpaid ......I guess i can live with that.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
You don't like that contract?
Please explain me, how a cap-hit of $5.27mil for a 25year old 6'3" 200lbs center who plays solid defensively and is top5 (iirc) in goalscoring the last over the last 3 seasons a bad contract?
Look around the league and you'll notice that there aren't a lot of better guys signed to a similar or better contract than Jeff Carter.

There's also no need for an extra thread for this, we have like 173 threads for proposals and roster stuff.
Careful, thread police....I guess we have 174 now, so you can leave

Old
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The flyers have made their bed with Richards and Carter, two young talented two way centermen that 5 years from now will be severly underpaid ......I guess i can live with that.
This is potentially it. They have invested everything into these two, but the jury is still out on whether the return is going to be worth the investment, that is part of the argument against keeping them and trading away a good contract, and a good player in return to fill a couple vital needs and cap space: natural winger who is willing to win the board battles and do some of the little things that win games, and a goalie which could be the undoing of this team in this playoffs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Haha. People just don't seem to understand. Flyers signed him an ELEVEN year deal. They didn't do that in order to trade him the following offseason. He's here to stay. He may not play out the contract here, but he's not goin anywhere any time soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. People just don't seem to understand. Flyers signed him an ELEVEN year deal. They didn't do that in order to trade him the following offseason. He's here to stay. He may not play out the contract here, but he's not goin anywhere any time soon.
I think people recognize that fact, but some people are intent on ignoring some details in order to delude themselves into believing their hopes and dreams will come true.

It's a lot like convincing oneself that Leighton was a good idea, and a good goalie.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I think people recognize that fact, but some people are intent on ignoring some details in order to delude themselves into believing their hopes and dreams will come true.

It's a lot like convincing oneself that Leighton was a good idea, and a good goalie.
I see what you did there.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I see what you did there.
I really don't think it can be said enough.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Mota

A Carter/Quick+ trade last off season would have made a lot more sense. It would have addressed their biggest need by adding a young, proven goaltender signed to a very very cap friendly contract for the next several years. It would've also cleared salary, meaning they wouldn't have had to trade Gagne, could've still added Mez, and probably could've gotten a winger for Richards in the deal too (I think Brown/Quick was rumored since LA wanted to add a scorer when Kovy turned them down). Carters production is undeniable, but him being out of the line up both this year and last shows their offense is fine with out him...and with his trade value so high they could've addressed other areas of weakness.

That being said, that was LAST offseason. An 11 year contract says this organization has no intention of trading him, and I dont think LA would make this deal anymore either. The time to trade him as passed. His lack of playoff production bothers the hell out of me too, but it does comfort me to think how scary this team would be if he went on one of his hot streaks when he comes back...

Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You want to help a weakness on wing by trading a guy that played SOLID two-way wing this year and posted a 36 goal season?

That makes sense.
and doesnt show up when it matters, yes

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and doesnt show up when it matters, yes
...and this line of reasoning has been proven time and again to be full of crap.