HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

76ers' Basketball (NBA)

Old
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
FlyerSithLord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Depends how you define superstar. Other than hockey I would say it isnt superstar money. Wouldnt be top 30 in baseball. Would be around 22 in the NFL...BUT the NFL has 50 some guys on a roster vs. 14 or 15 on an NBA roster. Player salaries will be inflated a little because of roster size difference.
I guess superstar isn't necessarilly the right word. Anything over 75, I've always considered top dollar. Though, thinking about it, 100 million seems to be top dollar now.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I said he gets paid like a superstar as a bit of a sarcastic and glib response. Maybe $80 mil over 6 years isn't in the highest echelon in the NBA but it's not chump change and he's still overpaid. Perhaps he thinks he's worth every dollar, if not more, instead of realizing he got the better end of the deal. He's good defensively but he needs to score more to be worth that much.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I said he gets paid like a superstar as a bit of a sarcastic and glib response. Maybe $80 mil over 6 years isn't in the highest echelon in the NBA but it's not chump change and he's still overpaid. Perhaps he thinks he's worth every dollar, if not more, instead of realizing he got the better end of the deal. He's good defensively but he needs to score more to be worth that much.
Eh he is fairly paid for the player he is. If he scored a lot more he'd be underpaid...much like Lebron and Wade are very underpaid because of the max on salaries.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
JVR21
G

What a bad play to end the season. They're down by 3 with 10 seconds left and decide to take a low percentage 2 point jump shot, with Andre "Big Game" Iguodala no less? Weak.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Iguodala is so bad

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
What a bad play to end the season. They're down by 3 with 10 seconds left and decide to take a low percentage 2 point jump shot, with Andre "Big Game" Iguodala no less? Weak.
I can't really get on Iggy this game, he played pretty well. In fact I thought the team as a whole played pretty well against a superior team on their court facing elimination. I guess the only critique I would have with their game was they missed a few too many FTs, and weren't good enough from 3 point range.

All in all, they had a pretty decent season. As long as their younger players continue to build upon this bit of success next year should be a better showing. I still would like to see them upgrade the low post.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Iguodala is so bad
he cant shoot, as a 2nd or 3rd option he would a great fit. But not on this team.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
zarley zelepukin

Iguodala had a really good game 5. 10-14 for 22 pts, 10 boards, 4 assists, 0 TO. The last play was bad, but that's more on Collins for going to that play. Iggy's jumper was actually really good last night, so I can at least see why they went that way. All in all, they just lost to a much better team.

Also, screw Dwyane Wade for that last second dunk.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:48 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I like how after the game they asked Iggy if he'd be back with the Sixers and he said something like "I'll be in the NBA."

What a ******. **** you Iggy, make a shot in the clutch for once in your career.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
KevinLin

he's made some clutch shots in his career. Can we quit blaming this on Iguodala. The bigger issues this series were the fact the sixers dont have a center who can rebound or anything else. And thad young was non-existent other than in a blowout.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I like how after the game they asked Iggy if he'd be back with the Sixers and he said something like "I'll be in the NBA."

What a ******. **** you Iggy, make a shot in the clutch for once in your career.
Iggy actually does good in late game situations he just blows usually for the whole rest of the game before that.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Iguodala had a really good game 5. 10-14 for 22 pts, 10 boards, 4 assists, 0 TO. The last play was bad, but that's more on Collins for going to that play. Iggy's jumper was actually really good last night, so I can at least see why they went that way. All in all, they just lost to a much better team.

Also, screw Dwyane Wade for that last second dunk.
The play was a simple isolation. Iggy could do whatever with the ball he just chose to shoot a jumper instead of taking it to the rim.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post

Honestly, it sounded to me like he was thinking in terms of his injured knee and this condition that nobody seems to have any definitive answers on. And fwiw, he's under contract with the Sixers for next year so it's not really up to him.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I'd rather use him as a piece for a legit center. We aren't going to do anything with him in his last year of his contract, might as well get something for him.

Turner and Jrue are going to come back strong and the rest of our guys are pretty much role players. Brand had a good year, but he's still not worth the money we're paying him (why do we sign these old players to ridiculous contracts?).

I don't know, I feel like I'm on the outside with a lot of players on our team. I like most of them, but they really aren't good compared to the talent in the league. I think a lot of people from Philly overrate the hell out of our players.

After seeing what the Flyers did to rebuild, I'd like to see something similar with the Sixers...it's just going to take a few more years.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Iggy played a decent series and so did Brand, Brand was actually a very important player for them this year overall.

Both guys are overpaid but what's done is done, it's better having them making $13M-$15M for $8M play than some teams that have their guys injured or really sucking it up for them.

The Sixers bungled the Iverson departure (manner of the trade, trade itself, use of the cap space) for sure but they are recovering pretty well finally. The big thing is that they are DRAFTING well. Young was a nice value, Speights was a home run pick in a singles position (could be a bust but has promise), Jrue was an outright steal and I think despite the skepticism that Turner was the right pick. Yes, they need a huge star there, no, he won't be one, but I don't see anybody behind him that will fit the bill either.

They need another interior defender badly, two if they lose Hawes. He's not exactly Mutombo in there (OK, he's not even Jon Koncak) but he is a 7 footer and his offense is gonna be solid. I loved what they did with Young and Williams this year, those guys were craving an identity and they finally got well-defined roles. I think those two and Iguodala also needed a stricter coach, you could tell they were frustrated in the loosey-goosey Cheeks system and no one was satisfied with Eddie Jordan as far as I could tell, that was a triangular peg for a closed hole, worst fit ever.

Best-case scenario is they pull rabbit from hat with a project big man, Turner develops into an Eddie Jones-ish player and they glean another decent perimeter scorer out of the scraps of San Antonio or some other good organization. There is not going to be any magic that turns bad contracts (Brand, Nocioni, Iggy, whomever) into great players.

05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Start Leighton*

Speights a home run pick? He was drafted in the first round Collins took away his minutes for Battie at the end of the season because Speights is pretty bad defensively and can't rebound.
Turner needs to handle the ball more when he handles the ball he has the ability to take over games if you watched he has done it in spurts this year making him a spot up shooter was a failed attempt and Collins realized that. Holiday is great on and off ball and has star potential so does Turner.

Hawes I think will wind up going. The Sixers will draft a big man in the draft from where they are picking it could be one of the Morris twins or Faried (he is only 6'8 but rebounds like a beast). I am hoping they can make a deal to move up in the draft using our first and maybe Speights or Nocioni to move up some and grab a better big man.

Fantasy situation Iggy and our first to move up and draft Enes Kanter who has potential to be a star center but has some questions and can slip.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
Speights a home run pick? He was drafted in the first round Collins took away his minutes for Battie at the end of the season because Speights is pretty bad defensively and can't rebound.
Turner needs to handle the ball more when he handles the ball he has the ability to take over games if you watched he has done it in spurts this year making him a spot up shooter was a failed attempt and Collins realized that. Holiday is great on and off ball and has star potential so does Turner.

Hawes I think will wind up going. The Sixers will draft a big man in the draft from where they are picking it could be one of the Morris twins or Faried (he is only 6'8 but rebounds like a beast). I am hoping they can make a deal to move up in the draft using our first and maybe Speights or Nocioni to move up some and grab a better big man.

Fantasy situation Iggy and our first to move up and draft Enes Kanter who has potential to be a star center but has some questions and can slip.
What I meant by home run pick was that it was a big swing, not that it connected. Speights was out of shape his entire freshman year and performed pretty terribly in workouts but he had stud potential. Instead of playing it safe in the middle of the first round, they went for a guy who could become an excellent interior scorer. If he ever understands what it means to be a pro, I still think he can become a very good scorer and a more than adequate rebounder.

I wanted them to take Darrell Arthur personally, in hindsight Roy Hibbert would probably have been the best pick. I liked him at GTown, mainly that he IMPROVED every year, but he was pretty damn stiff and not all that strong to balance it out. I had been praying for Jason Thompson but he shot up the board late, I still think he will develop into an excellent player despite some setbacks in Sac. Deandre Jordan was there, too, who might turn out better than Speights (already a better defender, ironed out conditioning issues ... but will never score and gets in foul trouble quickly).

Hawes doesn't seem like a guy who would enjoy Philadelphia, but he has not outwardly despised the city (think Matt Harpring). He may want to bolt and I am sure some team will overpay. I could see the Sixers keeping him if he is open to staying though. They are really shorthanded up front, he's still getting better and bad contracts for big men are easier to deal with than bad contracts for guards in a worst-case (read: foreseeable) scenario. The other thing is that the Sixers can't dabble in free agency and won't be able to for a while so I'd expect them to lean toward re-signing guys rather than letting them walk for nothing.

I like Kanter, too, there are a lot of decent projects out there up front but it's hard to say where guys will go. This draft is bizarre. The one positive thing for ownership like Philly has (willing to spend despite losing money) is that there will be lots of picks for sale. I bet at least 5/30 picks are sold, most of them for less than the maximum amount, too. Teams are running scared from this draft and if a labor stoppage is imminent then they will really be fireselling selections.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
KevinLin

Iguodala trade rumors are out there. Right now the two rumors are Rudy Gay or Chris Kaman...both are terrible options.

Old
05-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Iguodala trade rumors are out there. Right now the two rumors are Rudy Gay or Chris Kaman...both are terrible options.
I would do both.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
I would do both.
Over the course of the contracts Gay makes 25 million more than Iguodala.

Kaman would just mean we get 48 minutes of Hawes-level production a game instead of 20some.

Both deals are terrible. Just because you know a guys deficiencies doesnt mean you should take other peoples garbage.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Over the course of the contracts Gay makes 25 million more than Iguodala.

Kaman would just mean we get 48 minutes of Hawes-level production a game instead of 20some.

Both deals are terrible. Just because you know a guys deficiencies doesnt mean you should take other peoples garbage.
Gay is a way more consistent shooter looking at the last two years. Iggy's shooting percentage is 44% in the last two years because he is trying to shoot the ball instead of taking to the rim. Gay has shot 46% and 47% the last two seasons. Iggy stopped playing his game the last couple of years **** has gotten to his head he thinks he is a jump shooter all of a sudden when in reality he has a very poor jump shot. Gay is a significantly better player than Iggy and his contract is also a year longer than Iggy's.

Kaman is a better player than Hawes. Kaman is a way better rebounder than Hawes is. Kaman shooting percentage is also significantly better. But the main reason I do that deal is Kaman has one year left on his deal it lets you dump Iggy's contract and you get an actual starting center. Kaman did make the all star game last year.

Both deals are far from terrible your really over rating Iggy.

Old
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
zarley zelepukin

From a value standpoint it seems like the Kaman deal would be awful. He'd be an improvement at center but he's obviously not the guy we want here long term. He'd walk as a free agent and then the deal would amount to a salary dump.

Rudy Gay is not a significantly better player than Iguodala, but he might be a better fit for this team. He's a better shooter and I've heard conflicting reports about how well he plays without the ball, but if he can be effective while letting Jrue run the show then that would be a good fit for us.

Old
05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Start Leighton*

If you watch Rudy Gay play and than you watch Iggy play you will want Gay on your team. Gay is a very underrated defender he is also a better shooter than Iggy and he can get to the rim just like Iggy can. I think Memphis makes a pretty bad deal if they trade him for Iggy.

Also the main problem with Iguodala is. It isn't his team and he thinks it is. It is Holidays team and from some press conferences of Collins it sounds like he will really on Turner a lot next year. Collins said he knows Turner is ready to take off in the league and he thinks Holiday and Turner will be very very good players. Turner also admitted trying to play outside of his game early in the year and he fixed it towards the end of the year and playoffs which is why he finished strong.

I hope we deal Iggy for Kaman just because of the salary it would open up and it would really allow Turner and Holiday to take over.

Last edited by Start Leighton*: 05-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
KevinLin

Kaman is barely better than Hawes. And nothing will clear up cap wise till Brand expires anyway....which is a year before Iguodala. So I am not trading Iguodala for pure crap.

Gay...while I like him. He is nowhere the defender as Iguodala. And he isnt good enough to justify investing another 25 million. If you cant get Bynum or Bogut or lottery pick in 2012(not this year unless Kanter is guaranteed available) I am not really interested in trading Iguodala for the sake of trading Iguodala. Iguodala is young enough that the closer he gets to expiring the more valuable he will be. So unless we are getting legitimate value I am not interested in trading him.

Old
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
KevinLin

Oh another name I would be fine with dealing Iguodala for...Marc Gasol in a S+T.