HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev

Old
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
We will bury the contract in the minors... or trade him the offseason (Walker)

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And that's fine, but you're still going to be able to find the money to keep Gagne. It's going to be tight (obviously), but we were in a position to pick up a guy with a 3M contract this season... we had another guy making 2M... you need to find 250K to pay for Gagne at that point. That's it.

So, now I'm looking at the *ing idiocy that is the Shelley contract and the chunk of change from Walker.

No, his hand was NOT forced. Holmgren did not have to trade Gagne that's the very point I'm making. You can find the money on this roster.

And, no, we did not have to acquire another 4M range D necessarily to improve the D.
So after trading for Mez , signing Odonnell, adding shelly and resigning leighton where would that have put us in terms of the cap?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The ultimate coup would be if they could resign Gagne for a little more than the Zherdev contract, still have Versteeg, and put a line of Gagne-Richards-Versteeg on the ice.
I think he burned the **** out of that bridge by how he handled Gagne.

Similar to last year, Gagne was pretty damn good for TB one he got healthy. 27 pts in the last 30 games, and +7. I'd wager they re-sign him to a cheaper deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:45 AM
number71*

Zherdev is great but doesn't fit the flyers style of hockey.
He won't change his style so let him walk and watch him shine!

Like it or not, the flyers need more gritty goon type players because that it what GM/coach wants.

number71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
So after trading for Mez , signing Odonnell, adding shelly and resigning leighton where would that have put us in terms of the cap?
Why the **** are we signing Shelley?

Don't sign Shelley and Zherdev, and you need 5.25-3.1 = 2.15M. You can find it. I don't know exactly what Walker counted for us this year, but you can subtract that number too.

Holmgren forced his own hand, not the other way around.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
We will bury the contract in the minors... or trade him the offseason (Walker)
Every team in the league could have just had him for half price... no one is trading for him this offseason.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Similar to last year, Gagne was pretty damn good for TB one he got healthy. 27 pts in the last 30 games, and +7. I'd wager they re-sign him to a cheaper deal.
Unfortunately, this is the truth.

Gagne was pretty pissed when he left last year. I remember some of the interviews he give, where he just said that he recommends the younger guys get signed long-term because there are no guarantees you'll get any loyalty, or something to that effect. He also said he wanted to go to Tampa because they talked about signing him for the long-term, and had the space to do it.

I wish he would come back on the cheap, but it ain't gonna happen.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

Don't sign Shelley and Zherdev, and you need 5.25-3.1 = 2.15M. You can find it. I don't know exactly what Walker counted for us this year, but you can subtract that number too.

Say what you want about shelley, but pronger and richards wanted a guy like that on the team. They were tired of guys taking runs at them. Basically pronger is our gm, hence odonnell

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:

There's no doubt Homer ****ed up. He announced to the entire world that we needed to trade Gagne and Gagne said he'd refuse to go anywhere except Tampa. This allowed Yzerman to **** us royally.

Disregarding the mishandling of the situation, I think it was the right move to get rid of Gagne. Do you remember last year's playoffs? How many reliable dmen did we have? 4. We now have at least 5 on a nightly basis and somehow our offense is even better than last year. Of course the goaltending still sucks, but that's no different than last year. All in all, you have to admit that this team is superior to the 09-10 squad.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Say what you want about shelley, but pronger and richards wanted a guy like that on the team. They were tired of guys taking runs at them. Basically pronger is our gm, hence odonnell
When were players taking runs at us? Richards does more damage than any player has done to us in recent memory by taking a run at us.

Shelley seems like a good guy, and a good teammate... but he's EGREGIOUSLY overpaid, and the terms of the contract are way too long.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
There's no doubt Homer ****ed up. He announced to the entire world that we needed to trade Gagne and Gagne said he'd refuse to go anywhere except Tampa. This allowed Yzerman to **** us royally.

Disregarding the mishandling of the situation, I think it was the right move to get rid of Gagne. Do you remember last year's playoffs? How many reliable dmen did we have? 4. We now have at least 5 on a nightly basis and somehow our offense is even better than last year. Of course the goaltending still sucks, but that's no different than last year. All in all, you have to admit that this team is superior to the 09-10 squad.
Stop citing the D. You could add depth on D without moving Gagne.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Stop citing the D. You could add depth on D without moving Gagne.
We could have gotten 2 O'Donnell's if that's what you're looking for. The fact is this team had bigger issues in areas other than offense. Homer addressed one of them and our offense continued to be fairly dominant without Gagne. Let's not forget Gags was injured for half the season, too.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

While I agree with you and I also think Gagne likes the idea of living in TB over Philly, I can still have some hope.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
We could have gotten 2 O'Donnell's if that's what you're looking for. The fact is this team had bigger issues in areas other than offense. Homer addressed one of them and our offense continued to be fairly dominant without Gagne. Let's not forget Gags was injured for half the season, too.
No, you could have added Meszaros and kept Gags. The math is right there, the problem is wasteful spending on other contracts and/or players who wouldn't be here if you'd kept Gagne (like Zherdev, and most likely Versteeg).

Old
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number71 View Post
Zherdev is great but doesn't fit the flyers style of hockey.
He won't change his style so let him walk and watch him shine!

Like it or not, the flyers need more gritty goon type players because that it what GM/coach wants.
I have been saying this for awhile. Love having skill players on the roster but you also need to have guys willing to do all the little things, sometimes they are the ones who win the games where effort overtakes skill.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
No, you could have added Meszaros and kept Gags. The math is right there, the problem is wasteful spending on other contracts and/or players who wouldn't be here if you'd kept Gagne (like Zherdev, and most likely Versteeg).
Gagne was a huge question mark going into the season. You mention Gagne could be here instead of Zherdev and Versteeg, but those two outperformed Gagne in points 68 to 40 this year.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Gagne was a huge question mark going into the season. You mention Gagne could be here instead of Zherdev and Versteeg, but those two outperformed Gagne in points 68 to 40 this year.
Actually, they had 33 points this year.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Who the **** was taking runs at us??

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Gagne is gone... let's move on.....as the Flyers have as a team. Does it suck, yes. Is there anything we can do now, no.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Who the **** was taking runs at us??
Nobody.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Actually, they had 33 points this year.
If we're going in that direction, we'll only count the cap hit Versteeg cost us, which is around $1M since we got him at the deadline. 33 points for around $3M cap hit or 40 for around $5M?

Gagne was a great player for us over the years, but we need to move on. I'm more concerned about winning than making our guys feel good. Gagne clearly didn't feel he owed anything to the team that's paid him millions of dollars over the years when he handcuffed us into a deal with Tampa.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
If we're going in that direction, we'll only count the cap hit Versteeg cost us, which is around $1M since we got him at the deadline. 33 points for around $3M cap hit or 40 for around $5M?
Gagne's production might have been higher had he stayed in Philly, and was saved the emotional/mental stress of all that. He definitely would have had better numbers if he didn't got head first into the boards early in the season.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
And a PPG player since the All-Star break... just like he was last year.

Quote:
Gagne was a great player for us over the years, but we need to move on. I'm more concerned about winning than making our guys feel good. Gagne clearly didn't feel he owed anything to the team that's paid him millions of dollars over the years when he handcuffed us into a deal with Tampa.
You have got to be ****ing me with that sequence of BS.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
And a PPG player since the All-Star break... just like he was last year.

You have got to be ****ing me with that sequence of BS.
My opinion for awhile was that Gagne had to be the one to go. Of course I was pissed with the return and the way Homer handled it, but I felt the team needed to turn to a new page and restructure a bit. We got younger and filled holes because we traded Gagne.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
My opinion for awhile was that Gagne had to be the one to go. Of course I was pissed with the return and the way Homer handled it, but I felt the team needed to turn to a new page and restructure a bit. We got younger and filled holes because we traded Gagne.
And he was the bad guy because he didn't want to move?