HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton AWOL (update, post #153: suffered a wrenched back)

Old
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
The man has played his last game for the organization, end of story.

The players have zero confidence in his ability. If this AWOL is true then management would want nothing to do with him for two very obvious reasons as well; firstly, the position of goaltender requires a mental toughness that clearly this story proves Leighton does not require. Secondly and perhaps more importantly the Flyers organization is a proud and classy bunch. Within any contract is a clause that states in so many words that his actions both on and off the ice will not reflect poorly, embarrass or deliberately harm the organization in any way.

While there's an argument to be made that Leighton didn't deliberately harm the organization, a proud lot such as the Flyers will never forget a player quitting on the team.

Don't let the door slam you on the ass Leights!

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I deleted it as it wasn't a fair post. I recognized it and removed it right away. I get my blood boiling on Leighton hate. It is not worth arguing, I know most hate him, he isn't even in our top 3, why argue.
Because he's your boy.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Could be, however, I think thats really reaching though. IMO, he's had a good amount of room for error with the Flyers. Plus, I still believe that if he shows up to practice, he's still the #2.
How is it reaching? It makes perfect sense. Leighton is a AHL goalie that constantly finds himself waived and in the AHL. He knows he can't struggle for any period of time or he is back in the AHL. If the Flyers lost game six his NHL career would have been done. I could see why he would have taken it harshly and be highly disappointed in himself.

I don't think it makes it right if he went AWOL (The Flyers and his agent are denying), but he is a human and I have some compassion for him. He isn't a good goalie but that doesn't make him a horrible person. The real issue is he should have never been in that position. Holmgren and Laviolette almost ended our season due to their refusal to see he is not NHL caliber.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
ShotScore*

Good riddance.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
How is it reaching? It makes perfect sense. Leighton is a AHL goalie that constantly finds himself waived and in the AHL. He knows he can't struggle for any period of time or he is back in the AHL. If the Flyers lost game six his NHL career would have been done. I could see why he would have taken it harshly and be highly disappointed in himself.

I don't think it makes it right if he went AWOL (The Flyers and his agent are denying), but he is a human and I have some compassion for him. He isn't a good goalie but that doesn't make him a horrible person. The real issue is he should have never been in that position. Holmgren and Laviolette almost ended our season due to their refusal to see he is not NHL caliber.
I don't know too much about mental illness, but I'd imagine that there'd be at least some warning signs. I have a hard time believing that, out of the blue, he just lost it. He still has a year left on his deal and quiet frankly, the Flyers have continued to show that they still think he might be part of the answer in goal.

The last part of your statement I agree with 100%.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Again lets disassociate the personal part from the professional/business part of the game. I realize the Flyers have sometimes been run like a halfway house and it's because they do care about their players which from a business standpoint does mean something when your treat your workers fairly and compassionately but I think they have been more than magnanimous toward Leighton. He's not a horrible person..he's just a horrible goalie and yes ultimately the responsibility lies with Holmgren for overvaluing him..Lavy deserves some of the blame too which almost cost us the season. His fealty went too far....he's lucky the team bailed him out with that gross miscalc...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Lavy deserves some of the blame too which almost cost us the season. His fealty went too far....he's lucky the team bailed him out with that gross miscalc...
If we had lost game six, I probably would have blamed Lavy as much for the loss and Holmgren.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
GrundleBear

I feel bad for Leighton, but I believe his performance was on par for what we all thought would happen. Not a smart decision by Lavi. He's now all the wiser.

GrundleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
peacepipe

Does anyone have an idea when round 2 will start for us?

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
GrundleBear

Missanelli was saying if the Sixers win, then maybe as early as Friday

GrundleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Jester

Plan on Saturday... they could theoretically make it Friday, but I saw Saturday posted somewhere.

Old
04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I always seem to be the one defending Leighton so I might as well chime in. I'm not really defending him here, but he has shown throughout his career (not just in Philly) that he is a true character guy. Never complained about going to the AHL this year. Everyone in ADK said he was a great influence down there and had a great attitude etc. That doesn't excuse not showing up and disappearing, but I would wait until more comes out to start bashing the guy's character.
Yeah, I sure don't like the goalie Michael Leighton, but I have no reason to believe that the person Michael Leighton is anything else than a good guy. He apparently took the demotion to the Phantoms like a class act and was a good presence up there.

It must be terrible to be in his situation right now, I hope can come out of it even though I hope he does it somewhere else than in Philadelphia, but maybe going to Europe would be a good idea for him at this point? He's done the AHL route, do the Huet thing and move to live in a nice little Swiss town while making a ******** of money sounds good enough for me. I don't know his family situation though, maybe they can't move with him.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorny12 View Post
Leighton has a 2-way contract. When he cleared waivers and went to the Phantoms he was no longer being paid on his NHL contract but whatever the minor league part of the contract says, probably on 20% of the NHL value.
That's not what capgeek says. 2010-11 NHL salary = $1.5 mil, AHL salary = $1.5 mil. With a $200,000 signing bonus. And he gets a $100,000 raise for next year in both NHL and AHL dollars. Isn't that special?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That's not what capgeek says. 2010-11 NHL salary = $1.5 mil, AHL salary = $1.5 mil. With a $200,000 signing bonus. And he gets a $100,000 raise for next year in both NHL and AHL dollars. Isn't that special?
Leighton specifically signed a 1-way deal.

Old
04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Leighton specifically signed a 1-way deal.
I thought so. He's getting paid his full salary either way.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I thought so. He's getting paid his full salary either way.
He might as well put on a balaclava and gloves to collect his paycheques.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:06 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He might as well put on a balaclava and gloves to collect his paycheques.
I think you got that right!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
BernieParent

Personally, I don't care what Leighton made in Adirondack. Good for him to (hopefully) build a nest egg before the inevitable. I just want an honest-to-goodness #1 goaltender next year. Please.

Old
04-28-2011, 07:40 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Because he's your boy.
I have been very clear on Leighton. He will always be one of my favorites. Any player on the 2009-2010 SCF team, deserves respect for the greatest run of my life, especially the goalie who saved the season. I haven't once apologized or backed away from my Leighton stance - nor have you. Neither of us are changing, discussion concluded.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
BernieParent

Here's my conspiracy-theory take on the Leighton shenanigans. Leighton will show up around an hour before gametime, wearing dark glasses and a black hoodie, pulled as tightly around his face as possible. Without explanation, he will start game 1. Very early on, Leighton will show flashes of brilliance that will remind many of Carey Price's stellar goalkeeping. The Flyers take game 1 by a score of 3-0, and go on to win the series in 5.

Chris Pronger and Mike Richards redirect all media attention from the new and improved Michael Leighton, and Daniel Briere only chuckles mischievously when asked about the turnaround in goal.

The Flyers will ride "Leighton" to their first Stanley Cup in 36 years. Two weeks after the parade, Paul Holmgren will announce that the Flyers have traded Jeff Carter and Sergei Bobrovsky to the Montreal Canadiens for Carey Price and Lars Eller.

Years later, lawyers visiting Guatanamo Prison will swear they heard a clearly North American voice shouting, "Let me out! I'm Michael F***in' Leighton! I'm not a criminal!"

Old
04-28-2011, 01:08 PM
PhillyFlying

leighton day-to-day with a lower-body injury according to Flyers Facebook page.

edit: according to my roommate anyhow, may be jumping the gun.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:22 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
leighton day-to-day with a lower-body injury according to Flyers Facebook page.

edit: according to my roommate anyhow, may be jumping the gun.
How in the world?

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Nah, it's true. It's on there.
I commented that he's day-to-day with a severe lack of talent.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I have been very clear on Leighton. He will always be one of my favorites. Any player on the 2009-2010 SCF team, deserves respect for the greatest run of my life, especially the goalie who saved the season. I haven't once apologized or backed away from my Leighton stance - nor have you. Neither of us are changing, discussion concluded.
There's a difference between respecting what a guy did, and being a delusional supporter of someone.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
There's a difference between respecting what a guy did, and being a delusional supporter of someone.
Call it what you want, I may very well be guilty. Doesn't change a thing. I thought he was very good last year and had a chance to keep it going (I do see his flaws Jester, I know he has a weak five hole, he isn't anywhere close to a top goalie in the league). The fact he sucked in his 2 games of play this year in the NHL, changes nothing for me. Do I want to see Leighton this playoffs, **** NO!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote