HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Fair enough, not sure if Frolov was the comparison you wanted, but fair enough.

I've seen Kulemin since he came into the league, the kid has talent, that's the key, he's not just playing there because they have no one else...
I have no doubt he's talented, but like Frolov, some guys only turn it on when they're the go to guys on crappy teams.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I have no doubt he's talented, but like Frolov, some guys only turn it on when they're the go to guys on crappy teams.
True, and I would agree if this was the JFJ and Maurice tandem, but with Burke and Wilson, I don't think that's the case....

Old
04-27-2011, 10:13 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
That being said, he offers nothing that cant be replaced by cheaper, younger players except for the faceoffs. So its kind of a catch 22.
He's also proved that he can play in the NHL. The Kings are probably going to let Handzus walk, and Loktionov or Schenn look to be possibilities to take his spot. Then you're going to trade Stoll, and leave yourself with no other options but to play two more young guys down the middle? Richards won't be a King, so, I'd say think about the roster without him.

Quote:
Face-offs mean something, do does speed and skill on the wings, I am willing to have our C's work all summer on faceoffs if it means we can grab a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is extremely sound defensively, how about you?
But those centers are almost 21 and almost 20, with a handful of NHL games under their belts. At least let them prove during the winter they can do it, before trading away the only guy left on the team that we know can win a face-off.

Not to mention that if Kulemin is that good, why would Toronto give him up for 3 easily expendable and replaceable parts? What is Toronto getting out of the deal? What's their incentive? They're not getting a #1 center. They're not getting a winger to replace Kulemin's goals. They're getting a bottom pair defenseman, which they already have plenty of.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
He's also proved that he can play in the NHL. The Kings are probably going to let Handzus walk, and Loktionov or Schenn look to be possibilities to take his spot. Then you're going to trade Stoll, and leave yourself with no other options but to play two more young guys down the middle? Richards won't be a King, so, I'd say think about the roster without him.

But those centers are almost 21 and almost 20, with a handful of NHL games under their belts. At least let them prove during the winter they can do it, before trading away the only guy left on the team that we know can win a face-off.

Not to mention that if Kulemin is that good, why would Toronto give him up for 3 easily expendable and replaceable parts? What is Toronto getting out of the deal? What's their incentive? They're not getting a #1 center. They're not getting a winger to replace Kulemin's goals. They're getting a bottom pair defenseman, which they already have plenty of.
They are getting a veteran C to help down the middle, right now they have Tyler Bozak in their top 2, not a good mix, trust me.

They get Simmonds who Burke is in love with,

They get a D who will replace Komisarek....

And yes, I believe Kulemin is that good, in fact he is the one on the Leafs I would trade for, not Kessel.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
How about trading one of our one year rentals for one of those guys? If Doan was traded for would Brown give up the C?
I'm not sure if Phoenix (or Winnipeg) would move their captain for a Smyth, Penner or Stoll, but if a lot of players want out, they may have no other choice. Should Doan ever end up on the Kings, I would hope Brown would offer the C to him. Doan has a lot of respect around the league and reminds me of a leader similar to Trevor Linden.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:56 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

I want to sign Artyukhin for a 4th line grinder role

What do you think? Could he battle Westgarth for a spot? Poni?

Old
04-28-2011, 05:11 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Artyukhin took too many stupid penalties for the DUCKS. I mean if the team that embodies stupid penalties got fed up with him I don't want him anywhere near our team. He's huge, he's super fast, he hits like a cannon ball but he'll take completely unnecessary penalties at the worst times.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:40 AM
SuperAlmeida

I hope we sign Patrick Thoresen. He has put up great numbers in the KHL for Ufa Salavat Yulaev.

09-10: 56GP, 24G, 33A, 57Pts, 71PIM

10-11: 54GP, 29G, 36A, 65Pts, 30PIM

He has gone out in the media and said he wants to return to the NHL.
Thoresen can play both the top six and bottom-six. He is leftshooting, and he can play in all the offensive positions (RW, C, LW). I know that the Ducks was interested in him last summer, but Flyers owned his rights. He has said he's looking for a one-way contract, and I don't think he will be too expensive.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:08 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Lombardi said the Kings' skill level "is clearly something we've got to address." Los Angeles hopes to get a boost from prospects Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn, but he's also looking outside the organization at free agents, just as he did last summer before losing a protracted courtship of Ilya Kovalchuk.
"The cap is going up, so obviously we're in pretty good shape there," Lombardi said, noting that some of his decisions will be predicated on whether he signs Doughty to a long-term extension this summer, or waits another year.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...65019267_x.htm
Hopefully one of Schenn or Loktionov make the team next season!

Old
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
They are getting a veteran C to help down the middle, right now they have Tyler Bozak in their top 2, not a good mix, trust me.

They get Simmonds who Burke is in love with,

They get a D who will replace Komisarek....

And yes, I believe Kulemin is that good, in fact he is the one on the Leafs I would trade for, not Kessel.
Where is Komisarek going? Burke may love Simmonds, but he's going to swap a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is good defensively for a 15 goal checker? Would you do that if you had Kulemin? That Stoll is a veteran center is exactly the reason the Kings need him, seeing that the Kings don't have anything else behind Kopitar more proven than Lewis at the moment.

It would be very difficult to go into next season, with another year of increasing expectation, with Kopitar, Loktionov, Schenn, and Lewis down the middle. In a few years, that could be a very good quartet. But next year? Kopitar is fine. Lewis, as a 4th line center, is getting better. Loktionov hasn't proven anything yet, and he's gotten hurt the last 2 years. Schenn is just coming out of juniors.

I'm not opposed to trading Stoll, but the Kings are now an expected playoff team, at the very least. You're going to go into a season with 3 centers, who have combined for barely 100 games of NHL experience? Only one of those three having played a full NHL season where they weren't shuffled between the NHL and any developmental leagues? Kulemin better score 60.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Face-offs mean something, do does speed and skill on the wings, I am willing to have our C's work all summer on faceoffs if it means we can grab a 24 year old 30 goal scorer who is extremely sound defensively, how about you?
That is all it takes is a little practice right? That is so shortsighted. As if they haven't been good at faceoffs because they just haven't been practicing enough. I don't disagree that practice generally makes somebody better at whatever they are practicing at but some people are just naturally skilled at certain things that others aren't. I personally feel much better if they fix the issue before assuming it will take care of itself to acquire a guy who may be good on a crappy team. You creating a weakness while trying to correct another.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Don't see a whole lot of player movement, Probably this lineup:

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll/Schenn - Brown
Clifford - Schenn/Stoll - Simmonds
Lewis - Richardson - Westgarth/13th

Doughty - Mitchell
JJ - Scuds
Greene - Martinez/Hickey/Voynov/Muzzin
Wiske

Quick
Bernier

As far as Richards goes: Gaborik and Kovalchuk should tell you all you need to know.
That lineup will result into a 1 and done again.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I hope we sign Patrick Thoresen. He has put up great numbers in the KHL for Ufa Salavat Yulaev.
Blast from the past name! When it comes to the players outside the NHL who'd not just have a shot but could radically change the fortunes of a team the one guy I'd look to is Alexander Radulov.

That guy was legit in everyway. A honest to god top level scorer in the NHL and yet also physical and mean...

You know... his contract in the KHL is up this year.... It would take a whole bunch of wheeling and dealing to get him though even assuming he'd want to come back to the NHL.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
That lineup will result into a 1 and done again.
Never said they would win a cup with it. Knowing DL, and how few open roster spots they have, don't get your hopes up for any earth-shattering moves.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm not sure if Phoenix (or Winnipeg) would move their captain for a Smyth, Penner or Stoll, but if a lot of players want out, they may have no other choice. Should Doan ever end up on the Kings, I would hope Brown would offer the C to him. Doan has a lot of respect around the league and reminds me of a leader similar to Trevor Linden.

The constant disrespect to Brown is wrong. And getting old. This is Brown's team. He's the Captain. That decision was made a couple of years ago. There is nothing wrong with his leadership, or play, on or off the ice. If Doan ends up on the Kings (unlikely) he doesn't automatically deserve to be Captain. It's unnecessary, he won't lose any respect around the league and he can still be a leader.

And I guarantee that after watching him play 82 games in a row, everyone around here will on him for being, slow, inaccurate with his shot, using the same move over and over, and for "taking too many penalties". Just like we do with Brown.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Duc620

There is no quick fix for high end talent. You either buy it or you get lucky in the draft.

Unless there is a major upgrade of talent available through trade, cap manipulation, or signing, I'm all in for keeping the same basic line up while moving kids up from Manchester. I don't see the value of grabbing some new different second line forwards (no matter how good their statistics) and swapping them for existing players. I'd rather reward the hard work and discipline of the players in our system.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Artyukhin took too many stupid penalties for the DUCKS. I mean if the team that embodies stupid penalties got fed up with him I don't want him anywhere near our team. He's huge, he's super fast, he hits like a cannon ball but he'll take completely unnecessary penalties at the worst times.
Artyukhin is awful, he is a spot picker as a fighter. When Tocchet was his coach he was all over this guy for not playing to his potential and not standing up for himself and his teammates when she should. PASS!

Old
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
There is no quick fix for high end talent. You either buy it or you get lucky in the draft.

Unless there is a major upgrade of talent available through trade, cap manipulation, or signing, I'm all in for keeping the same basic line up while moving kids up from Manchester. I don't see the value of grabbing some new different second line forwards (no matter how good their statistics) and swapping them for existing players. I'd rather reward the hard work and discipline of the players in our system.
Totally agree. Names being thrown around in this thread aren't pushing the Kings over the top. We can debate the merits of guys like Doan and Artyukhin all we want (it's fun and there's nothing better to do until Oct) but neither of those guys (or anyone else mentioned in this thread sans Richards) are going to make us cup contenders.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
+ Forwards
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––
+ Brad Richards - No explanation needed.
+ Zenon Konopka - Face-off ability, can kill penalties, toughness.
+ Andrei Loktionov - 2/3 Center
+ Brayden Schenn - 2/3 Center
+ Jordan Nolan - or any other prospect in the system with skill and grit to fill the fourth line.
+ Wayne Simmonds - $1-1.1M
+ Trevor Lewis - $900K

- Forwards
- Jarett Stoll - Not suited for #2 Center, face-off ability replaced w/Konopka.
- Ryan Smyth - Salary dump.

+ Defensemen
+ Drew Doughty - Signed to a Jack Johnson type contract short term.
+ Vyacheslav Voinov - 6/7th D-man.
+ Alec Martinez - $950K

- Defensemen
- Peter Harrold
- Davis Drewiskie

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.100m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.650m) / Jordan Nolan ($0.531m)
/ / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
/ / Trevor Lewis ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($4.357m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,689,284; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $710,716

Old
04-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
You know... his contract in the KHL is up this year.... It would take a whole bunch of wheeling and dealing to get him though even assuming he'd want to come back to the NHL.
Doesn't Nashville still hold his rights if he comes back to the NHL?

Old
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Richards does solve a few problems on the Kings. One, he improves the skill level, obviously. Two, he improves the hole at LW that Penner and Smyth have been unable to fill. Three, BR gives Kopitar the elite talent on his wing to elevate his game to the next level. Four, he can play the point on the dreadful powerplay. No assets lost makes a ton of sense. The problem is the 2 teams rumored to be after his services are notorious for over paying for talent. Sather is a crazy man with the Rangers money. They are rumored to be after Richards, then prepared to trade Gaborik and they have shown in the past they will send down big money contracts they can't fit under the cap like Redden. Brian Burke has Leafs money, they desperately need talent to get into the playoffs and he has also proven in the past he's willing to push the envelope to get his guy. Will Lombardi go all in in this high stakes game of poker? History says no f'in way.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Johnny Utah

I'll take Gaborik.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I'll take Gaborik.
Now THAT's an interesting thought, I wonder what it would take.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
+ Forwards
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末末末末末末末末末末
+ Brad Richards - No explanation needed.
+ Zenon Konopka - Face-off ability, can kill penalties, toughness.
+ Andrei Loktionov - 2/3 Center
+ Brayden Schenn - 2/3 Center
+ Jordan Nolan - or any other prospect in the system with skill and grit to fill the fourth line.
+ Wayne Simmonds - $1-1.1M
+ Trevor Lewis - $900K

- Forwards
- Jarett Stoll - Not suited for #2 Center, face-off ability replaced w/Konopka.
- Ryan Smyth - Salary dump.

+ Defensemen
+ Drew Doughty - Signed to a Jack Johnson type contract short term.
+ Vyacheslav Voinov - 6/7th D-man.
+ Alec Martinez - $950K

- Defensemen
- Peter Harrold
- Davis Drewiskie

FORWARDS
Brad Richards ($8.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.100m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.650m) / Jordan Nolan ($0.531m)
/ / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
/ / Trevor Lewis ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($4.357m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,689,284; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $710,716
Kanopka would be a solid, great in the face-off circle. But I still think Trevor Lewis is our center there, if not higher up. I don't see how you can make him a healthy scratch when he played that way in the playoffs. Big game tying goal vs the Sharks, you can't just write him off. I like the lineup though, where did Smyth & Stoll go? lol Trade? Buyouts? Please explain

Old
04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Now THAT's an interesting thought, I wonder what it would take.
Well, we would have to get rid of Smyth in order to fit him.

So Smyth to idk...Edmonton...if they would want him/he would go there.

The Rags will trade Gaborik as a salary dump if they sign Richards. So it wouldn't be too expensive to pry him away...

I'd say...Greene, Toffoli, and Hickey for Gaborik

We then sign someone like Gill for about 1-2 years at 2million to replace Greene.

Schenn plays in Manchester for the season, then replaces Stoll in the 2012 season.

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.950m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Hal Gill ($2.000m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Alec Martinez ($0.900m) /
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,427,142; BONUSES: $347,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,072,858

And there you have it!

Closed Thread