HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin moves to 34th and 7th

Old
04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
TreeSapLlama

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Leaning towards no? That's massive overpayment, and it would destroy our team. Sure, let's trade our most talented winger, best dman, top prospect and one of our great rookies for a guy coming off a major knee injury. Malkin is a good player, but he isn't worth all that. Not even close.

We could have Malkin.

Or we could have Gaborik, Staal, Kreider, Stepan/McDonagh and Richards.

That's why trading assets for Malkin (among other reasons) makes absolutely no sense. If they were willing to trade him for only futures, then you do it, but we can't afford to give up significant roster players for him. We just aren't good enough.
While I would prefer to get Richards as our 1st line Center rather then give up that much for Malkin, by the same token we could trade for Malkin and sign Ehrhoff as an UFA, which would lessen the blow of dealing Staal.

All I know is getting Malkin would take a massive overpayment, but you have to remember he is one of the 3 most talented players in the league. He is a SUPERSTAR. I perhaps should have said something more strongly then leaning, but I would still have to consider it.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
Fair enough, as long as the point was made! Also I'm glad I gave you a good laugh today then!
Don't take any crap from that guy! He is a Rebecca Black fan!

Edit: Also, no Malkin. Not only would it take a ****-ton to get him, he's injured a lot, and hasn't looked the same since the Cup run. Even if he is still one of the best.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Ola

Callahan
Staal
Kreider
1 st

No doubt. The kid dominated a Stanley Cup PO's, something Crosby have yet to come close to. Have done it all. Easily have 10 prime years infront of him.

Its helluva players we would be giving up, but to get a top 3 forward like that, you just can't put a value on it.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
bernmeister

1 Pitt not dealing Malkin at this time; they probably will before his contract is up, but not at present.
2 Unless he is further deteriorated by injury, they will want a premium, and if it's within the division, they'll still deal if it's profitable, but they'll want massive overcompensation.
3 While certain assets NYR has is worth premium to PP, it's not worth it to gut the team.
4 The jury is out; we are all waiting to see how much of a player he is now and will be in the immediate future, and that is only a guess at this point.
5 Pens may be willing to move him and recover cap if they think there is enough to risk gamble he returns to full form against gamble he does not.

In considering all of the above, taking into account what they would want and what we should give up:

6 No trading Kreider. Barring injury, he will be the next Dave Keon.
7 Stepan as a rookie has shown real potential, though he needs to fill out. He would be the real core of a deal.
8. My offer today is:
Stepan, Gaborik, Werek, two #2s for 2011, Biron, flip of #1 picks in 2011
for Malkin + flip of 1s.

PP get Stepan to build, Gaborik (less serious injury, plays W natural complement to Staal, Crosby, and is less $$/cap), Werek supposedly already has pro shot, is bonafide W prospect, Biron is a stopgap option in net, and the picks are beneficial.

That's it, today.
Malkin plays half a season and looks like he never was injured a day in his life, the price goes up; anything else, the price goes down.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Leaning towards no? That's massive overpayment, and it would destroy our team. Sure, let's trade our most talented winger, best dman, top prospect and one of our great rookies for a guy coming off a major knee injury. Malkin is a good player, but he isn't worth all that. Not even close.

We could have Malkin.

Or we could have Gaborik, Staal, Kreider, Stepan/McDonagh and Richards.

That's why trading assets for Malkin (among other reasons) makes absolutely no sense. If they were willing to trade him for only futures, then you do it, but we can't afford to give up significant roster players for him. We just aren't good enough.
Nah, the biggest factor is that in 3-5 years, Malkin would probably make like 20% of the money as the players we traded for him. Lets say we give up 4 guys who will make like 4-6m USD in 3-5 years, Malkin with his 8m per would earn like 30% of that. Natrually it would suck tremendously to give up Staal, but we could sign a UFA like Kaberle.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

see, the thing about a trade is that you need 2 willing partners. the only way ray shero trades malkin to the rangers is as follows:

1. rangers move out west - they would never trade malkin within the division
2. rangers somehow acquire ovechkin
3. rangers trade ovechkin for malkin

otherwise, ray shero is laughing at you. sorry ny, gonna have to go elsewhere for your long awaited star power. some delusional stuff i'm reading in this thread.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Don't take any crap from that guy! He is a Rebecca Black fan!

Edit: Also, no Malkin. Not only would it take a ****-ton to get him, he's injured a lot, and hasn't looked the same since the Cup run. Even if he is still one of the best.

And here I thought we had something special

04-28-2011, 02:47 PM
DutchShamrock

When I see Malkin and Crosby I think Federov and Yzerman. So that means I expect some MVP caliber seasons from Malkin and then some very lackluster years with that gradual decline. I wouldn't sell the farm for that but I would part with some serious assets to get it done.

Of course if you wipe out your franchise to get a franchise player, is it really worth it. I sure as hell don't want to be Columbus with Federov.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
When I see Malkin and Crosby I think Federov and Yzerman. So that means I expect some MVP caliber seasons from Malkin and then some very lackluster years with that gradual decline. I wouldn't sell the farm for that but I would part with some serious assets to get it done.

Of course if you wipe out your franchise to get a franchise player, is it really worth it. I sure as hell don't want to be Columbus with Federov.
I don't know, why would Crosby be "Yzerman"?

Crosby was a huge passanger when Malkin alone carried the load when they won the Cup in the SCF's against the Red Wings.

The Federov's also had a insane dad etc, there have never been anyone questioning Malkin's attitude.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:25 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Crosby was a huge passanger when Malkin alone carried the load when they won the Cup in the SCF's against the Red Wings.

The Federov's also had a insane dad etc, there have never been anyone questioning Malkin's attitude.
I don't understand this.

Crosby had 15 goals and 31 ****ing points. How is that "doing it alone"?

04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
To show you how out of it I am, when I read the title to this thread I thought: "That's a crappy neighbourhood to get an apartment in..."

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:01 PM
xxxZENxxx

Malkin won't get traded here, but you have to wonder if you lead with Gaborik in the offer... that the Pens GM would have to listen. They have been looking for a elite wing to play with Crosby forever.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So I've been hearing alot of rumors about Malkin getting dealt. Not that I think Pittsburgh would ever dream of trading him within the division, but I was just curious, what would you guys give up for him hypothetically?
They would certainly want Staal for starters....Not a bad "D" pairing right there (Staal + Letang).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 05:46 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I went in terms of consistency and longevity. Not really about style or leadership or singular standout performances. If you have to move the pieces necessary to just get him, you better be sure that he's going to be a force for a big number of years.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
GarretJoseph*

You start with Staal heading to Pitts and you work with that.

I would imagine Pitts would move him for something like this if they are forced to move him within the Division and to NEW YORK where he'd become an instant superstar along the likes of Jeter, Manning, Sanchez, Messier, Melo, Amare, Piazza, Ewing, ect, ect, ect

M.Staal
R.Callahan
M.Del Zotto or Kreider
B.Dubinsky
2011 1st & 2nd
2012 1st

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

I would imagine Pitts would move him for something like this if they are forced to move him within the Division and to NEW YORK where he'd become an instant superstar along the likes of Jeter, Manning, Sanchez, Messier, Melo, Amare, Piazza, Ewing, ect, ect, ect

M.Staal
R.Callahan
M.Del Zotto or Kreider
B.Dubinsky
2011 1st & 2nd
2012 1st
Wouldn't do this even for the pre-injury Malkin,and I'm on record for trying multiple combinations, including realistic overpayment that would be necessary, to get him.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

M.Staal
R.Callahan
M.Del Zotto or Kreider
B.Dubinsky
2011 1st & 2nd
2012 1st
Thats insane.

Whats the point of acquiring Malkin if you've completely gutted the supporting cast?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Malkin's not going anywhere with all this Crosby news coming out.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Steven go get some fresh air. You're right about Richards being easier to acquire but if the opportunity presented itself I'd take Malkin 10 times out of 10 over Richards.
I'd take Malkin 11 times out of 10.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:

M.Staal
R.Callahan
M.Del Zotto or Kreider
B.Dubinsky
2011 1st & 2nd
2012 1st
I wouldn't give you all that for Bobby Orr

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I wouldn't give you all that for Bobby Orr
To be fair, Orr's 63 now. I mean how much can you really expect out of the guy at this point?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

He's in the men's department at Macys?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anybody ever get bothered at trading the likes of Staal, Stepan, Krieder, Del Zotto, 1st round picks, etc. for a guy like Malkin?

I mean, although Malkin would most likely make our team better, some part of me cringes at the thought of giving up guys that I've gotten attached to. At some point it's like selling your heart and soul just to better the team by a small margin. I don't know, at least for me I feel like I'd have a lot more fun watching the group I mentioned develop into cup winners than watching a guy who has already won such as Malkin bring us a shiny cup.

I don't know, maybe I'm being dumb.

Stepan Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
To be fair, Orr's 63 now. I mean how much can you really expect out of the guy at this point?
Even at 63, Orr > Del Zotto, Gilroy, and McCabe combined.

Old
04-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

He's in the men's department at Macys?
Too far down the block. And no he's in the women's department