HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev

Old
04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And he was the bad guy because he didn't want to move?
Where did I say that? I'm saying that as much as we screwed Gagne he screwed us right back.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Where did I say that? I'm saying that as much as we screwed Gagne he screwed us right back.
Quote:
Gagne was a great player for us over the years, but we need to move on. I'm more concerned about winning than making our guys feel good. Gagne clearly didn't feel he owed anything to the team that's paid him millions of dollars over the years when he handcuffed us into a deal with Tampa.
Why would he owe us anything? He played his heart out for the team, suffered multiple concussions... lets not turn into Maple Leaf fans here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Why would he owe us anything? He played his heart out for the team, suffered multiple concussions... lets not turn into Maple Leaf fans here.
He was a great Flyer for over a decade, but there comes a time for everyone to go. The multiple concussions that you speak of are one of the main reasons I felt he was the odd man out.

As for him "owing us anything," why do the Flyers owe him anything? They employed him for good money for a long time and had to let him go. It's not like he was doing charity work for us.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
He was a great Flyer for over a decade, but there comes a time for everyone to go. The multiple concussions that you speak of are one of the main reasons I felt he was the odd man out.

As for him "owing us anything," why do the Flyers owe him anything? They employed him for good money for a long time and had to let him go. It's not like he was doing charity work for us.
There's a logical disconnect in what you're babbling about here... the implication is that Gagne should have said, "Cool, I'll uproot my family and move!"

Old
04-28-2011, 02:16 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
There's a logical disconnect in what you're babbling about here... the implication is that Gagne should have said, "Cool, I'll uproot my family and move!"
No, of course he's not going to like it. On the other end, I don't think anyone in the organization liked getting rid of Gagne. However, that's the nature of the NHL. You can't let an emotional connection get in the way of success.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
No, of course he's not going to like it. On the other end, I don't think anyone in the organization liked getting rid of Gagne. However, that's the nature of the NHL. You can't let an emotional connection get in the way of success.
None of this in any way leads to the suggestion that Gagne should have owed the organization anything as far as facilitating a trade... making any sense.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
None of this in any way leads to the suggestion that Gagne should have owed the organization anything as far as facilitating a trade... making any sense.
Hop of Gagne's dick. He doesn't owe anything to the organization and the organization doesn't owe anything to him. He's a hockey player in the NHL. There are no guarantees.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Seriously...the guy got a NTC for a reason. He has every right to pick and choose his destination, or outright refuse to go anywhere.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Hop of Gagne's dick. He doesn't owe anything to the organization and the organization doesn't owe anything to him. He's a hockey player in the NHL. There are no guarantees.
Except for NTCs.

Just admit what you said was dumb, isn't a matter of being on Gagne's dick. Just like you care more about the Flyers winning that Lavy.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Except for NTCs.

Just admit what you said was dumb, isn't a matter of being on Gagne's dick. Just like you care more about the Flyers winning that Lavy.
What did I say that was dumb? How Gagne screwed us by singling out Tampa Bay? Where did I say he didn't have the right to screw us?

Also, I don't understand your last sentence.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
What did I say that was dumb? How Gagne screwed us by singling out Tampa Bay? Where did I say he didn't have the right to screw us?

Gagne didn't screw us. His NTC, awarded to him by the organization, gave him every right to go wherever he pleased.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Jester

Quote:

You claimed he "handcuffed" us... he didn't do ****. He signed a contract with a NTC that Holmgren decided he wanted to get rid of. That was all that happened. Holmgren handcuffed himself. Gagne should have told him to go F himself.

If it wasn't you that suggested you cared more about winning than Lavy, then I apologize.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
You claimed he "handcuffed" us... he didn't do ****. He signed a contract with a NTC that Holmgren decided he wanted to get rid of. That was all that happened. Holmgren handcuffed himself. Gagne should have told him to go F himself.

If it wasn't you that suggested you cared more about winning than Lavy, then I apologize.
Yeah, if anything Gagne helped the organization by graciously agreeing to be traded, uprooting his family, and leaving his home of 12 years so that Homer could fix his self-imposed cap woes.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Jester

Nope, it was you.

Quote:
The difference between me and Laviolette is that I care about who will help my team more, regardless of effort. That's cute that Shelley is giving 100% effort, but Zherdev is faster gliding than Shelley is doing full speed of whatever his excuse for skating is. He's far more useful to the team than Shelley is.
HoF post right there.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

Dude, Gagne didn't ask to be traded. He was the guy who was screwed over, for better or for worse.

What, he was supposed to say, "Okay Paul, you want to get rid of me, you can ship me off to Edmonton to help the team you are removing me from." Huh?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
JVR21
G

Gagne screwed us by saying he would only go to Tampa Bay after it became common knowledge that he and to be traded. Does that mean it was wrong of him to do? Absolutely not. Do I blame him? No, I would've done the same thing.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Nope, it was you.

HoF post right there.
I still believe Laviolette is stubborn. I've had coaches who have done the same thing he has done: playing the players who show effort over the skilled players who may not be trying 100% to prove a point. As I said in that post, Shelley doesn't help the team win. That's why Zherdev is in the playoff lineup and not Shelley.

Edit: It was ridiculous of me to say that, however. Of course Laviolette wants to win, I just think his motivation for making moves at certain points throughout the season were to show who's in charge and what kind of attitude he likes.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
I still believe Laviolette is stubborn. I've had coaches who have done the same thing he has done: playing the players who show effort over the skilled players who may not be trying 100% to prove a point. As I said in that post, Shelley doesn't help the team win. That's why Zherdev is in the playoff lineup and not Shelley.
Zherdev is also playing noticeably different than he was back then, too... no?

The insinuation that you care more than Lavy about who will help the team more is still laughable. You may disagree with the choice, but there's no way that you care more than him about helping the team win games.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Zherdev is also playing noticeably different than he was back then, too... no?

The insinuation that you care more than Lavy about who will help the team more is still laughable. You may disagree with the choice, but there's no way that you care more than him about helping the team win games.
I don't see Lavi here posting about his decisions. I therefore assume he doesn't care.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:32 PM
chuckie

Zherdev

Hey guys do you think he will play alot in this series and who are his linemates

TIA

chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
Hey guys do you think he will play alot in this series and who are his linemates

TIA
1. Maybe
2. Claude Giroux and James VanRiemsdyk

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
tuckrr

JVR - G - Z was an AMAZING line (in terms of talent level...G really brings the best out of JVR and Z...Richie has that effect on Z as well, but i like Z more with roo)

as long as Zherdev keeps workin hard (again, i think he works hard on roo's line b/c he respects him)

all 3 of those guys play with confidence and a heap ton of talent, so its a pretty awesome 3rd line lol

(assuming carter gets back) id love to see these lines down the road...

Steeg-Richards-Carter (all 3 are amazing 2-way players...best "talent" shutdown line)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (best 5-5 playoff line...maybe best overall playoff line?!)
JVR-Giroux-Z (with JVR playing like he is, maybe the most talented line we have...2nd overall 4th overall and GIROUX, thats a good line for hands if nothing else)
Powe-Betts-Carcillo (best 4th line IMO)

guys our top 9 is ridiculous now that Z and JVR are coming through in a big way (steeg doesnt hurt either) the idea of carter returning is frightening

now add in a 4th line second to none and a defense which probably has the best top 5 and you get our team

Tl;DR:

keep JvR-G-Z together, it makes our other lines absurd when they are hot

hopefully booosh poops the bed, and BOBS can win one in OT...if BOBs gets confidence, we may really start cruising

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
JVR - G - Z was an AMAZING line (in terms of talent level...G really brings the best out of JVR and Z...Richie has that effect on Z as well, but i like Z more with roo)

as long as Zherdev keeps workin hard (again, i think he works hard on roo's line b/c he respects him)

all 3 of those guys play with confidence and a heap ton of talent, so its a pretty awesome 3rd line lol

(assuming carter gets back) id love to see these lines down the road...

Steeg-Richards-Carter (all 3 are amazing 2-way players...best "talent" shutdown line)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (best 5-5 playoff line...maybe best overall playoff line?!)
JVR-Giroux-Z (with JVR playing like he is, maybe the most talented line we have...2nd overall 4th overall and GIROUX, thats a good line for hands if nothing else)
Powe-Betts-Carcillo (best 4th line IMO)

guys our top 9 is ridiculous now that Z and JVR are coming through in a big way (steeg doesnt hurt either) the idea of carter returning is frightening

now add in a 4th line second to none and a defense which probably has the best top 5 and you get our team

Tl;DR:

keep JvR-G-Z together, it makes our other lines absurd when they are hot

hopefully booosh poops the bed, and BOBS can win one in OT...if BOBs gets confidence, we may really start cruising

I agree, I dont think its a coincidence that since carter has gotten injured JVR has been the one to step up for that line. I continue to see Giroux set up jvr and I like z on that line as well.

Steeg Richards Carter line could be special too and a great two way line like you mentioned.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, if anything Gagne helped the organization by graciously agreeing to be traded, uprooting his family, and leaving his home of 12 years so that Homer could fix his self-imposed cap woes.
This is the NHL. It's common knowledge to all players that the time will come near the end of your career that you will be asked to move on to play regular hockey.

Poor Gagne, he only made millions of dollars playing in the NHL, while being the face of the franchise for a few years. It's not like we traded his sorry arse out of here for nothing.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I agree, I dont think its a coincidence that since carter has gotten injured JVR has been the one to step up for that line. I continue to see Giroux set up jvr and I like z on that line as well.

Steeg Richards Carter line could be special too and a great two way line like you mentioned.
JVR was great from Game 1 on... as I recall, Carter was playing in Game 1-3.