HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers - Lineup

Old
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
We have basically all been saying that we need for next year:
  • A real 1st line playmaking PPG center
  • A PPQB
  • More scoring and creative offensive talent up front
  • Better shots from the PP
  • A creaseclearing Defender on 3rd pairing - hopefully with mean streak a la Beuk...
  • Better breakout passes from Defense.
  • Have a protective heavyweight on the ice for 40 or so games against regional/divisional rivals

Lotīs of holes to fill here (I mean like a minefield), but one theoretical scenario to basically achieve this could be...
  • Drury + Boogaard both retire (...fat chance...but still... not impossible...where is Tonya Harding these days?). If Drury needs to be bought out - it limits these roster moves leaving holes.
  • Redden breaks his contract and becomes UFA (I think this COULD actually happen)
  • We trade for Hemsky + (fodder AHL, Omark?) giving up Wolski, MZA, x? & a 2011 2nd rounder (hard to figure out the x would be - needs to be of some value - one of Werek/Kundratek/Bourque? maybe)

Signings
  • Brunette (1 year UFA at 2,6) Stopgap awaiting homegrown talent - could mesh with Gabby though for reasonable $$
  • Richards (5 years UFA at 6,8 M) Important piece - PPQB + 1st line center
  • Babchuk (2,4 for 2 years UFA) Stopgap - with Nice PP shot from point
  • MacIntyre (2 years UFA at 700) Facesmasher that is not as useless on the ice as The Boogeyman turned out to be...
  • Respective RFAs/UFAs (Cally, Dub, AA, Boyle, Sauer, Gilroy, Fedotenko)
Trading for Hemsky would also provide exceptional secondary scoring. A deadline deal maybe?

2011/2012 Rookies
Grachev - big homegrown bottomliner with potential upside on offense. Has been become steady defensively. Could mesh with Stepan.
Valentenko (or the return of MDZ - if he can step up again) Creaseclearer with shot or talented breakoutpass - 2nd line PPQB Defenseman

FORWARDS
Andrew Brunette (UFA $2.600m) / Brad Richards (UFA $6.800m) / Marian Gaborik (Signed $7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky (RFA $4.000m) / Artem Anisimov (RFA $1.800m) / Ryan Callahan (RFA $4.000m)
Evgeny Grachev (Rookie $0.816m) / Derek Stepan (Signed $0.875m) / Ales Hemsky (Trade $4.100m)
Ruslan Fedotenko (Resign $1.500m) / Brian Boyle (RFA $1.600m) / Brandon Prust (Signed$0.800m)
Sean Avery (Signed $1.937m) / Steve MacIntyre (UFA $0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal (Signed $3.975m) / Daniel Girardi (Signed $3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh (Signed $1.300m) / Mike Sauer (RFA $1.400m)
Pavel Valentenko or MDZ (Ev Rookie - both signed $0.850m) / Anton Babchuk (UFA $2.400m)
/ Matt Gilroy (Rumors of resigning @ $1.100m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist (Signed $6.875m) / Martin Biron (Signed $0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,129,166; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,270,834

2012 replacements (All hopefully panning out)
  • Brunette (do not resign) -> Kreider
  • Hemsky (do not resign) -> Thomas
  • Avery (do not resign) -> Hagelin
  • Fedotenko (spare) or -> Trade/FA vet, 2011 pick, Prospect (Fasth, Werek, Bourque, Kolarik, Weiss...)
  • Babchuk (ev trade? or mix in with Big Mac during the year) -> McIlraith
  • Gilroy (bury in minors?) -> Burns ?
  • Need a new keeper into the pipeline...

Also - have to make a real run at Burns as an eventual UFA in 2012
Plenty of capspace would be available to add some vets at the deadline too.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Grachev/Hagelin - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin/Grachev - Boyle - Prust

Feds, MacIntyre (or other annual Sather goon)

Staal - Burns
McD - Girardi

One of Valentenko/MDZ - McIlraith/Sauer
Sauer/McIlraith

Hank
New keeper?

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I love your crazy scenarios, BBKers.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
NYRCC

it's entirely WAAAY too early to start doing this... Wait until after free agency begins.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
it's entirely WAAAY too early to start doing this... Wait until after free agency begins.
No itīs not. THIS IS FUN!!!

Old
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I think it's very unlikely that Redden breaks his contract. I can't see any team in the league giving him more than $1M on a 1-year deal to be a 6/7D.

I think the much more likely scenario is that he goes overseas, possibly to Switzerland, similar to how Chicago got rid of Huet. It would work for both parties involved, given that Redden is willing to live over there for the remainder of his contract (3 years).

Redden has 3 choices in my mind:
1) Status quo: Ride the bus in Hartford for the next 3 years. Never get a sniff of the NHL ever again. Make $18M.
2) Break contract: Try and find an NHL team willing to take you (NYR would most likely let him negotiate with teams before voiding his contract). Make about $1M on a year-to-year basis. If he plays 3 years at $1M/year, he leaves $15M on the table, but gets to retire with some dignity.
3) Go overseas: To me, this is the best option for Redden. Try and find a team in a European league willing to take you. There WILL be interest, I have no doubt of that. Rangers loan you to that league and team, and pick up the tab. Your cap-hit goes away, Rangers win. Play in Europe, make $18M, and be a superstar in an inferior league, Redden wins.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
With that specific personel, I'd go with:

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Ansimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Thomas
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Eminger
Hagelin over Avery??!?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hagelin over Avery??!?
Absolutely.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
3very will be lucky to make next year's roster with the competition in camp, let alone play the 3rd line.

04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Thanx
You should see the ones I refrain from posting... crazy stuff

Old
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
so do I, they're always so crazy detailed, lol

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Thanx
You should see the ones I refrain from posting... crazy stuff
I believe it.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
This doesn't account for the Boogey Man's salary. Also, it doesn't account for Avery's salary.
I don't want upshall but signing Richards, a top line LW and a puck moving dman. I am not too worried about the summer cap because sather will clean up the mess he made with drury buying him out. Either they will give wolski a chance next season or buy him out. I would like to see if a kid in his contract year who could play LW with Richards and gaborik but if sather wants to buy him out on the cheap and get a gagne, jokinen or brunette I can see him doing that. I feel sather will either find a way to rid us of redden by loaning him to a European team since redden's wife had their child and is no longer pregnant. This makes moving overseas possible this season or maybe he just breaks the contract to go back to the nhl. As for boogie i think he will be forced to retire due to the concussion situation and if he wants to come back they will send him to Hartford but i think the fact he was sent home is very telling and Brooks reported after dagoon did that boogie is done as a ranger so I'm not too worried.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
DrAStuart

Just a question...how does the fact that Redden's salary comes back on the books this summer and can't be taken off until he is waived again effect all the calculations? I know you can go over the cap in the summer, but there's a limit to that...is that going to hamper the ability to move in the free agency market?

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Just a question...how does the fact that Redden's salary comes back on the books this summer and can't be taken off until he is waived again effect all the calculations? I know you can go over the cap in the summer, but there's a limit to that...is that going to hamper the ability to move in the free agency market?
Summer cap can be exceeded by 10% so if the cap goes up to 62.2 million dollars that means the summer cap can't be higher than an additional 6.22 million so 68.42 million.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
The summer cap adds a 10% cushion to the in-season salary cap. I would assume this is so that you have room to maneuver personnel.

If the cap goes up to $62.4M as some people are indicating, the summer cap would add an additional $6.24M for a total of $68.64M. The problem is, Redden is eating up $6.5M in cap space. Given the fact that there is no way in hell he ever plays another game for the Rangers, and he's untradeable, we essentially have no summer cap. In fact, the available space we would have actually goes down, as Redden's cap hit is greater than the amount added by the summer cap.

At no point in time can we exceed the summer cap. So if we plan on sending Redden $6.5M, Boogaard $1.6M, and Avery $1.9375M to Hartford, we just lost the ability to spend to the cap until training camp ends, by which time most players will have been signed.

For example, with Redden, Boogaard, and Avery going to Hartford:

Salary Cap: $62.4M
Summer Cushion: +$6.24M
Total Summer Cap: $68.24M
Redden Cap Hit: -$6.5M
Boogaard Cap Hit: -$1.6M
Avery Cap Hit: -$1.9375M
Real Cap: $58.2025M

Difference = $62.4M - $58.2025M = $4.1975

So essentially, by having those 3 players as dead weight on the roster, we lose $4.1975M of cap space that will only be freed up once they are waived and sent down at the end of training camp. It could be the difference between signing Richards, and not being able to sign him. If you remove or add players to that list, the number would change.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Transcribed some of the numbers slightly wrong, but you get the idea.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The summer cap adds a 10% cushion to the in-season salary cap. I would assume this is so that you have room to maneuver personnel.

If the cap goes up to $62.4M as some people are indicating, the summer cap would add an additional $6.24M for a total of $68.64M. The problem is, Redden is eating up $6.5M in cap space. Given the fact that there is no way in hell he ever plays another game for the Rangers, and he's untradeable, we essentially have no summer cap. In fact, the available space we would have actually goes down, as Redden's cap hit is greater than the amount added by the summer cap.

At no point in time can we exceed the summer cap. So if we plan on sending Redden $6.5M, Boogaard $1.6M, and Avery $1.9375M to Hartford, we just lost the ability to spend to the cap until training camp ends, by which time most players will have been signed.

For example, with Redden, Boogaard, and Avery going to Hartford:

Salary Cap: $62.4M
Summer Cushion: +$6.24M
Total Summer Cap: $68.24M
Redden Cap Hit: -$6.5M
Boogaard Cap Hit: -$1.6M
Avery Cap Hit: -$1.9375M
Real Cap: $58.2025M

Difference = $62.4M - $58.2025M = $4.1975

So essentially, by having those 3 players as dead weight on the roster, we lose $4.1975M of cap space that will only be freed up once they are waived and sent down at the end of training camp. It could be the difference between signing Richards, and not being able to sign him. If you remove or add players to that list, the number would change.
I really don't get the vibe that Avery is gonna be in Hartford from what Torts said in that Michael Kay interview. I think he will get a last chance as this is a contract year for him. Now Boogard and Redden, one of in not both will be addressed in order to create some summer cap room, but it all starts with buying out Drury, and remember the RFA's we have to sign (Dubi, Cally, Artie, Boyle, and Sauer) just needed to be tendered so we retain rights. Redden and Boogard will hopefully be dealt with sooner than later, but Richards is the priority and after he is signed other actions or transactions I believe will fall into place.

as of this moment our cap hit is 49,112,500 with Redden, Boogie, Avery, Drury, and Wolski. We can Sign Richards on July 1st for 7 million and be in good shape, but the fat as you mentioned needs to be trimmed and fast!

Old
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I really don't get the vibe that Avery is gonna be in Hartford from what Torts said in that Michael Kay interview. I think he will get a last chance as this is a contract year for him. Now Boogard and Redden, one of in not both will be addressed in order to create some summer cap room, but it all starts with buying out Drury, and remember the RFA's we have to sign (Dubi, Cally, Artie, Boyle, and Sauer) just needed to be tendered so we retain rights. Redden and Boogard will hopefully be dealt with sooner than later, but Richards is the priority and after he is signed other actions or transactions I believe will fall into place.

as of this moment our cap hit is 49,112,500 with Redden, Boogie, Avery, Drury, and Wolski. We can Sign Richards on July 1st for 7 million and be in good shape, but the fat as you mentioned needs to be trimmed and fast!
As usual, this will lead to some of our FAs getting signed later than they shouldand risk being exposed to offer sheets. Doubt it will amount to much tho... Remember Hank & many more. Slather knows this stuff...

Old
04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
As usual, this will lead to some of our FAs getting signed later than they shouldand risk being exposed to offer sheets. Doubt it will amount to much tho... Remember Hank & many more. Slather knows this stuff...
I agree, the only one that really worries me with an offer sheet is Sauer as he makes so little and if someone really wants him who knows what they will be offering and if we have signed Richards, say Pitkanen, and maybe a Gagne/Jokinen/Brunette type who knows what we will have left in cap room to match a higher offer.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
NYRCC

point here: in order to land richards, there's a lot of fat that's going to have to be trimmed from the team and very quickly.

i don't know if sather can move as quick as he's going to need to.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
point here: in order to land richards, there's a lot of fat that's going to have to be trimmed from the team and very quickly.

i don't know if sather can move as quick as he's going to need to.
When can trades be made again? Is it not first at the draft? Buyout period is ???

Old
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea may as well just kep Wolski then

Are all fans ok with Drury and Wolski taking up around 4 mil this yr and 2 mil next yr in cap space?

Rather just buyout Dru and keep WW for one yr then let him walk as a UFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
This is textbook albatross contracting. 4.5m for 1/4 of a year? Not even half? Tons of players get traded and have a very good few weeks following that trade. Wolski was very good for us soon after acquiring, but he faded each and every game after about the first 10-15. Especially for a player in a contract year such as Fleischmann. Even then, the reason he put up those numbers is because of how well he fit with the Colorado Avalanche's speed system - the Rangers aren't a speed team, they're a forecheck and boardplay team. Fleischman is a pretty soft player, and would not fit in anyway. He's not a 1st line player, nor is he versatile enough to play on any of the other lines. Well, for this team at least. Which is why I'm against giving him such a huge payday, let alone him having a major health condition.
Rangers are forecheck and boardplay because they don't have the skillset to do anything else. Add skill guys and the game plan can evolve. Gaborik is never going to be a banger, grinder make the play off the forecheck type player, hence the reason why a guy like Fleischmann would mesh with him. Speed, stickhandling, game off the rush. Flash - Stepan - Gabby.

Here's a larger sample size. In his NHL career he's about a .5 ppg player. In his past two seasons he's played 104 games and scored 82 points. That's significantly higher than his career average which means his earlier years is bringing it down a lot. Recognize when talent is coming into their prime!

There's a difference in signing a declining a player like Wade Redden who's old and declining to a large contract when he hits UFA status and a young player who 26 and has legit skills. Martin Havlat was injury prone and didn't prove much of anything but his skills were still known and so was his ability to succeed and so he was coveted by many teams before Ottawa dealt him. Tomas Fleischmann has similar skills and his play far exceeds that of Wojitek Wolski.

Last edited by vipernsx: 04-28-2011 at 07:01 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
We have basically all been saying that we need for next year:
  • A real 1st line playmaking PPG center
  • A PPQB
  • More scoring and creative offensive talent up front
  • Better shots from the PP
  • A creaseclearing Defender on 3rd pairing - hopefully with mean streak a la Beuk...
  • Better breakout passes from Defense.
  • Have a protective heavyweight on the ice for 40 or so games against regional/divisional rivals
Quote:
...has a big shot -- one that earned him hardest AHL shot honors in the 2007-08 season. He combines that with a physical game that borders on, but never crosses into, dirty play.
Quote:
should be able to carve a niche on an NHL roster as a physical agitator in the Bryan Marchment mold
Next season....Bring on the Warrior!!!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/pavel_valentenko

This guy plays like Dan Girardi but on the left side and with a bigger shot and likes to play a bit more edgier.

Quote:
Valentenko noticed goalie Dov Grumet-Morris was out of the net as AHL Rookie of the Year Luke Adam wound up hoping to slam in a rebound...As Adam readied to fire from about 10 feet in front, the thought of scoring very much in his head, Valentenko dove across the crease and took Adam’s laser to the abdomen. The gritty Russian keeled over in pain from the shock of the shot.

“Pavel is probably one of the better shot blockers in the league,” Grumet-Morris said.

Grumet-Morris’s running mate in net, Cameron Talbot, went even further, saying, “Pavel blocks shots so well it’s like having three goalies.”
http://theahl.com/valentenko-a-prime...locker-p170815

Maybe I should make this it's own thread on Vtank?

Last edited by vipernsx: 04-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
If i had to pick a guy who would be a good candidate for this team, its Scottie Upshall. Kid fits the Torts mould to a T and he has offensive talent.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:14 PM
In The Flesh

I can't see us NOT making a FA signing, but I bet we look a lot like this (this yrs team).

Dubi Christ Gaborik
Prospal AA Cally
Hagelin Stepan Prust
Avery Boyle Drury

Staal Girardi
McD Sauer
Eminger Vtank
Gilroy