HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: (2) San Jose Sharks vs (3) Detroit Red Wings

View Poll Results: How will the series end?
Sharks win in 4 6 2.38%
Sharks win in 5 18 7.14%
Sharks win in 6 98 38.89%
Sharks win in 7 65 25.79%
Redwings win in 4 4 1.59%
Redwings win in 5 8 3.17%
Redwings win in 6 37 14.68%
Redwings win in 7 16 6.35%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Eighth Fret

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Barnaby is the only ESPN "expert" picking the Sharks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6443243
WEAK. Lebrun as recently as a couple weeks ago said he was sticking to his pre-season pick of a Sharks/Caps SCF.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Eighth Fret

And I just hope, and I pray, that Wallin doesn't cost us games.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
gonegonegone*

hopefully niemi is working on his awful rebound control right now. a good 1/2 of our GA were juicy rebound tip ins. holmstrom and cleary will have a field day cleaning that stuff up. kinda worried >_<

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
WEAK. Lebrun as recently as a couple weeks ago said he was sticking to his pre-season pick of a Sharks/Caps SCF.
Was that before he saw the defense/goaltending against LA?

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
OrrNumber4

So I've been working on a simulator for a while now; tested it on the LA Kings series; San Jose pulled a 4-1 victory. Split series at home and won 3 straight. Included a comeback from 3 goals down in game 3!

Against Detroit, the results of the first three games:

Caveat: Braun fills in for Wallin

Game 1: Sharks come out strong, throw 9 shots on goal. Detroit gets a pp, but can’t even get the puck into the Sharks’s zone. However, Zetterberg gets puck, walks in, and rips it shortside for a weak goal and 1-0 lead. Marleau ties it on Sharks powerplay with a blast. Thornton the assist. Detroit takes the lead in the early third period with a powerplay goal off a deflection. Lidstrom shot, Franzen goal. At the ~10 minute mark, Nichol gives the puck up right in front of the goal; Cleary scores to make it 3-1. Sharks finish with 46 shots on goal to Detroit’s 16 but lose 3-1. San Jose with over 30 hits in the game.

Game 2: Sharks come to play. Ryan Clowe scores in the first minute with a wrist shot from just inside the blueline that handcuffs Jimmy Howard. Couture and Demers the assists. Sharks continue the barrage. At the end of the first, shots are 18 to 4 in favor of San Jose. Niemi holds the fort in the second period, making a sprawling save on Datsyuk and stopping 8 consecutive Detroit shots on a Detroit PP. Douglas Murray comes off the bench for a shorthanded breakaway as the Wings make a terrible change. Murray scores with a move from the forehand to the backhand off a pass from Marleau to make it 2-0. On the next shift, Zetterberg dangles Justin Braun, walks in, and slides it past Niemi on Detroit’s 16th shot of the game. With 6 minutes left in the third, Jamal Mayers scores off a pass from Nichol. Eager shoots it on goal, Nichol gathers the rebound, turns, and passes it to Mayers on the short side for an open-net goal. San Jose wins 3-1; finishes with 46 shots again; Detroit gets 21 in the losing effort. Murray the first star with a goal and an assist, Howard and Niemi get 2nd and 3rd stars. Abdelkader and Mayers fight soon after the 3-1 goal, with Mayers the clear winner. San Jose with 18 hits in the game, including a devastating one by Murray on Lidstrom.

Game 3: Caveat: Simulator crashed. Original game was 0-0 in the late second before it crashed. New game saw San Jose crush the Wings. Heatley scores about 3 minutes in from a pass from Couture in a cross-crease play. About two minutes later, Justin Braun walks the puck into the zone 1-on-2 as both teams are changing. He winds up, and blasts it past Howard to put SJ up by two. Demers scores on a pinch, and Pavelski scores on the PP with a blast from the point. Niemi makes some key saves on two consecutive Detroit PPs prior to the Demers goal. MacDonald replaces Howard, who has let in 4 goals on 5 shots. MacDonald holds the fort down until the end of the period. Next period starts. San Jose continues the barrage in the 2nd period. Thornton’s line cycles the heck out of the Wings. Puck pops back to Ian White, who blasts it past the blocker of MacDonald. Detroit gets into penalty trouble. Heatley scores on the PP to make it 6-0. Third period starts. Detroit continues its march to the penalty box. Thornton gets the puck from Braun on the faceoff, waits, waits waits, takes it to the top of the circle and fires it past the deluge of bodies in front of the net. Minutes later Dany Heatley takes the puck in the near circle, turns, and dishes it off to Logan Couture at the far side. Couture’s wobbly wrister goes past MacDonald. Thornton gets crushed by Kronwall. As always, Detroit blocking a ton of shots. Clowe scores off a deflection from Justin Braun on the PP. Detroit puts in Howard again. Marleau takes a pass from Thornton at the blueline and one-times it past Howard, who in the end allows 5 goals on 6 shots. With 36 seconds left, Detroit breaks the shutout when Pavel Datsyuk scores shorthanded. Datsyuk threw it on net from a sharp angle. Puck beat Niemi and was laying on the goal line; Ian White accidently knocks it in. Niemi finishes with 19 saves. Sharks score 10 goals on 34 shots. Couture finishes with a goal and three assists, Marleau finishes with 3 points and a team-leading 4 hits (out of 18 total). Braun leads the dmen with 1 goal and a pair of helpers.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
masterofallxix

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
So I've been working on a simulator for a while now; tested it on the LA Kings series; San Jose pulled a 4-1 victory. Split series at home and won 3 straight. Included a comeback from 3 goals down in game 3!

Against Detroit, the results of the first three games:

Caveat: Braun fills in for Wallin

Game 1: Sharks come out strong, throw 9 shots on goal. Detroit gets a pp, but canít even get the puck into the Sharksís zone. However, Zetterberg gets puck, walks in, and rips it shortside for a weak goal and 1-0 lead. Marleau ties it on Sharks powerplay with a blast. Thornton the assist. Detroit takes the lead in the early third period with a powerplay goal off a deflection. Lidstrom shot, Franzen goal. At the ~10 minute mark, Nichol gives the puck up right in front of the goal; Cleary scores to make it 3-1. Sharks finish with 46 shots on goal to Detroitís 16 but lose 3-1. San Jose with over 30 hits in the game.

Game 2: Sharks come to play. Ryan Clowe scores in the first minute with a wrist shot from just inside the blueline that handcuffs Jimmy Howard. Couture and Demers the assists. Sharks continue the barrage. At the end of the first, shots are 18 to 4 in favor of San Jose. Niemi holds the fort in the second period, making a sprawling save on Datsyuk and stopping 8 consecutive Detroit shots on a Detroit PP. Douglas Murray comes off the bench for a shorthanded breakaway as the Wings make a terrible change. Murray scores with a move from the forehand to the backhand off a pass from Marleau to make it 2-0. On the next shift, Zetterberg dangles Justin Braun, walks in, and slides it past Niemi on Detroitís 16th shot of the game. With 6 minutes left in the third, Jamal Mayers scores off a pass from Nichol. Eager shoots it on goal, Nichol gathers the rebound, turns, and passes it to Mayers on the short side for an open-net goal. San Jose wins 3-1; finishes with 46 shots again; Detroit gets 21 in the losing effort. Murray the first star with a goal and an assist, Howard and Niemi get 2nd and 3rd stars. Abdelkader and Mayers fight soon after the 3-1 goal, with Mayers the clear winner. San Jose with 18 hits in the game, including a devastating one by Murray on Lidstrom.

Game 3: Caveat: Simulator crashed. Original game was 0-0 in the late second before it crashed. New game saw San Jose crush the Wings. Heatley scores about 3 minutes in from a pass from Couture in a cross-crease play. About two minutes later, Justin Braun walks the puck into the zone 1-on-2 as both teams are changing. He winds up, and blasts it past Howard to put SJ up by two. Demers scores on a pinch, and Pavelski scores on the PP with a blast from the point. Niemi makes some key saves on two consecutive Detroit PPs prior to the Demers goal. MacDonald replaces Howard, who has let in 4 goals on 5 shots. MacDonald holds the fort down until the end of the period. Next period starts. San Jose continues the barrage in the 2nd period. Thorntonís line cycles the heck out of the Wings. Puck pops back to Ian White, who blasts it past the blocker of MacDonald. Detroit gets into penalty trouble. Heatley scores on the PP to make it 6-0. Third period starts. Detroit continues its march to the penalty box. Thornton gets the puck from Braun on the faceoff, waits, waits waits, takes it to the top of the circle and fires it past the deluge of bodies in front of the net. Minutes later Dany Heatley takes the puck in the near circle, turns, and dishes it off to Logan Couture at the far side. Coutureís wobbly wrister goes past MacDonald. Thornton gets crushed by Kronwall. As always, Detroit blocking a ton of shots. Clowe scores off a deflection from Justin Braun on the PP. Detroit puts in Howard again. Marleau takes a pass from Thornton at the blueline and one-times it past Howard, who in the end allows 5 goals on 6 shots. With 36 seconds left, Detroit breaks the shutout when Pavel Datsyuk scores shorthanded. Datsyuk threw it on net from a sharp angle. Puck beat Niemi and was laying on the goal line; Ian White accidently knocks it in. Niemi finishes with 19 saves. Sharks score 10 goals on 34 shots. Couture finishes with a goal and three assists, Marleau finishes with 3 points and a team-leading 4 hits (out of 18 total). Braun leads the dmen with 1 goal and a pair of helpers.

Your simulator goes through that much detail? A complete play by play? Haha. If so, that's pretty amazing...I think you should share this simulator with everyone..we'd have way too much fun with it!

masterofallxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Barnaby is the only ESPN "expert" picking the Sharks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6443243
Well, he was one of only 2 'experts' to pick all 4 WC series correctly, so there's that....

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofallxix View Post
Your simulator goes through that much detail? A complete play by play? Haha. If so, that's pretty amazing...I think you should share this simulator with everyone..we'd have way too much fun with it!
It puts out a video input using the NHL 2003, 2004, and 2K9 game engine/graphics. So the actual PBP is my own.

The simulator is still a work in progress. The goal of it is to work autonomously; I could enter in all the data, then simulate game 1 just as accurately as I could simulate game 100 8 months later, since the simulator would take in all the variables. Of course, it fails utterly in this matter.

There are still many issues with it. Even directly entering the data, igoring the calculations of data based on statistical input, Nichol's speed is overrated, Clowe is underrated, Braun is way too good. I mean, Murray destroyed Lidstrom in game 2 in my simulation. That is never going to happen; Lidstrom is just too good.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
NoBS

It hath begun..

NoBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
Well, he was one of only 2 'experts' to pick all 4 WC series correctly, so there's that....
I picked all of them correctly, and was 3/4 in the east. Screw these experts, should just hire me.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
I picked all of them correctly, and was 3/4 in the east. Screw these experts, should just hire me.
Every game will end with a 3-2 score and every series will end in 6.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by north bay sharkie View Post
It hath begun..
hahahahaha good one, Wing fan.

i seriously cant wait for this series to start. hopefully SJ scores on a bagillion 5 on 3s!

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
joe2cheech

joe2cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
unintelligence

man usually stupidity on the internet doesn't phase me but i've been reading so many cocky and irritating comments by smugass wings fans i just want the sharks to beat em down soo bad

is it game 1 yet??

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Sigh.... just wanted to see what the Sharks fans were talking about, but no such luck today.
(Please, go back to your own board and talk amongst the hockey geniuses as yourself, wings fan, if you are still lurking)

Anyway, I like the fact that the Sharks are prohibitive underdog in the series.
Who needs more pressure than the Sharks already have?
I, for one, am DETERMINED not to be crushed again if they lose the series.
If they win, what a bonus.
(sigh...)

NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNever View Post
Sigh.... just wanted to see what the Sharks fans were talking about, but no such luck today.
(Please, go back to your own board and talk amongst the hockey geniuses as yourself, wings fan, if you are still lurking)

(sigh...)
The wings have a solid team so I wouldn't be too disappointed if the sharks lose. If we weren't being trolled by every 12 year old with a library card in Detroit then it would be much easier to enjoy the series the way we did with Kings fans. Oh well!

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
unintelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligence View Post
man usually stupidity on the internet doesn't phase me but i've been reading so many cocky and irritating comments by smugass wings fans i just want the sharks to beat em down soo bad

is it game 1 yet??
reading this is making me feel better
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=769666
(tl;dr some things never change)

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNever View Post

(sigh...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
The wings have a solid team so I wouldn't be too disappointed if the sharks lose. If we weren't being trolled by every 12 year old with a library card in Detroit then it would be much easier to enjoy the series the way we did with Kings fans. Oh well!

F that. Underdog or not, I will be DEVASTATED if we lose this series.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
My wife is a wings fan. If I the Sharks lose I can't let it bother me too much or it will only get worse. In 2007 it took almost a month before she stopped giving me crap for it.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Quote:
Agreed.
Well, let's try to make the best of it! *ThumbUp*

Old
04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Being devastated is a prerequisite for being a Sharks fan.
It's HOW MUCH devastated, that's the problem.
I am determined not to let it affect me too much this time.
DETERMINED, I TELL YOU!!!!

Old
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Its weird knowing this is the premier WCSF matchup.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
rideaucrusher21

Quote:
My wife is a wings fan. If I the Sharks lose I can't let it bother me too much or it will only get worse. In 2007 it took almost a month before she stopped giving me crap for it.
I hope you returned the favor last year..

Or maybe you didn't want to sleep on the couch for a month? lol

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
I hope you returned the favor last year..

Or maybe you didn't want to sleep on the couch for a month? lol
She blamed the 5 on 3 penalties and howard.

Old
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp3710

More second round predictions with these interesting numbers:

Too bad the guy picked Detroit in 5 anyway! Whatever man, haha.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote