HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Martin and Gauthier Press Conference on Now

Old
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
If I was GM of the Canadiens I wouldn't tell the media a thing.

The Red Sox is how this team needs to be run...where the media in Boston go crazy and try and invent controversy because the GM doesn't say a peep to the media (there's a lot of other things the Habs could ape there too, of course).

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Its obvious he wouldn't say ''we'll bury Gomez in the minors!''. They'll try to trade him first and he'll have to go trough waivers if he's sent to the AHL. If theres a team that wants him (one can hope), they'll just grab him for free then to our expense.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
And he'll be back next year. No doubt.
You say that as if he absolutely wants to keep Gomez. Even if PG decides to trade him, there may not be anyone willing to take him.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Garry Valk

So what did Marinaro say?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

This Thread needs more.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Ugh. Subban getting props from Martin after the reporters asked about his development this season and RDS show is like "Well that's fine and dandy, but Desharnais also showed great development."

Yea, it's an attempt at a segue into another story, but it sounded really retarded.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Marinaro

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

The Best was Matin's Face when they said . What were your biggest coup de coeurs ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
That's unfortunate. Bottom line is king with this organization.
There may be plenty of other, less problematics options available, and it's very doubtful Gauthier already explored them all. Why would he answers in the positive to a question like that when it's only going to cause unnecessary drama?

Of course, if you already convinced yourself that it is absolutely the only option still available, I guess it would make sense. But that's your delusions, and Gauthier doesn't have to entertain them if he feels he can still trade him. And there's absolutely nobody better positioned than Gauthier to know what precisely is Gomez market value.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
There may be plenty of other, less problematics options available, and it's very doubtful Gauthier already explored them all. Why would he answers in the positive to a question like that when it's only going to cause unnecessary drama?

Of course, if you already convinced yourself that it is absolutely the only option still available
...or the other option is that Gomez returns to form next season, and while still overpaid, brings much more to the table than he did this season (60-70 points, good defensive play, leadership...) making the cap hit more bearable?

I'm thinking the Habs brass are banking on this (unless they can move him), and if he puts up another bad season like he did, more drastic action might be taken. He's still highly respected on the team (see Price's comments on him being a great player and leader), even if he didn't produce as much this season.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Marinaro
and he said...?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Gill getting tremendous amount of credit for PK's development. That with Gorges vouching for him makes me believe we gotta have this guy back.
I want him back. Gorges and Subban have graduated let Gill work with Weber now. He may even become a coach after his career is over the guy has class and leadership.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:41 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Any questions to PG regarding bringing the Wiz back?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
BLONG7

The year end press conference, where the media tries to get info, and the Habs GM never divulges much...sound familiar?

Good for PG...there will be changes, but the core stays intact...

I still think that Gomez may interest one of the small budget teams, because he is owed alot less money than his cap hit indicates...could there be a taker? Will Gomez bounce back? Hard to believe he was that bad for most of the year...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Any questions to PG regarding bringing the Wiz back?
Any questions that he was asked regarding "employment status", he gave the same generic answer (except for Mr Markov): they need to evaluate the current situation of the roster within the next few weeks, then decide from there.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The year end press conference, where the media tries to get info, and the Habs GM never divulges much...sound familiar?

Good for PG...there will be changes, but the core stays intact...

I still think that Gomez may interest one of the small budget teams, because he is owed alot less money than his cap hit indicates...could there be a taker? Will Gomez bounce back? Hard to believe he was that bad for most of the year...
We'll have to give up a high pick or a mid level prospect to even have a remote chance on dumping him,like NJ did w/Malakhov a few years back. i don't think our management is capable of pulling this off like lamoriello did

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
You say that as if he absolutely wants to keep Gomez. Even if PG decides to trade him, there may not be anyone willing to take him.
If you get rid of him his spot needs to be replaced and really at this time there isnt much available. Like it or not hes gunna be back next season most likely.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I love how much Pierre believes in this team.
he'd better, he's has a huge hand in assembling it, first as pro scout, then as GM.

he can believe in them all he wants, until he finds a way to address some of the glaring needs, we remain a middle of the pack club.

i suppose everyone has different expectations, but imo, until this franchise once again has a solid contending roster in place, and can maintain it for a significant stretch, there isn't much to "believe" in other than the hoping and praying we all engaged in this post-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Gill getting tremendous amount of credit for PK's development. That with Gorges vouching for him makes me believe we gotta have this guy back.
back behind the bench would be ideal, but I imagine he still wants to play... if he'll take <1.5, great, let's have him back as a 5-6-7 dman and reap the continued benefit of his locker room presence.

but if he's expecting ~2M or more, and/or a 2nd pairing role/minutes, then I hope he has to finds it elsewhere b/c the habs have upgraded their top-4 enough to make it obvious he isn't a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I love Martin giving props to Eller. His development this year has been great.
?
i hope he was giving him props for being so patient and willing to play 4th line scrub minutes/roles until the final few games of the season when Martin had no choice but to play him because he was OBVIOUSLY an asset to the team that needed to be used more.

how much further along would that development be if Martin had allowed him more opportunity to learn and grow during the regular season (as opposed to waiting until Game 6-7 to give him minutes down the stretch in a close game).

If I'm Eller, and I hear this, I'd be shaking my head and hoping I don't have to deal with this coach for much longer...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:53 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
he'd better, he's has a huge hand in assembling it, first as pro scout, then as GM.

he can believe in them all he wants, until he finds a way to address some of the glaring needs, we remain a middle of the pack club.

i suppose everyone has different expectations, but imo, until this franchise once again has a solid contending roster in place, and can maintain it for a significant stretch, there isn't much to "believe" in other than the hoping and praying we all engaged in this post-season.

What's he got to be nervous about?

Boston's considered an Eastern contender and his team just took them to the very brink. Without Halakian heroics. With 3 key season ending injuries to his roster.

The most glaring need for this team is the need to stay healthy which is often out of anyone's control. Injuries happen sure, but for key guys to drop for the entirety of the season, there's just so much a team can take.

He has excellent pieces in place and the cap room to keep improving. This is the brightest the future has been for a while, I don't know how you can say there isn't much to believe in.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:34 AM
TheBuriedHab

What are the dumb questions by tony people are mad about?

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:40 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Very true, good point. I like Scott and I have confidence this year was purely an aberration, but no doubt, if we can improve on that cap space then we need to look into it.

My respect for Gauthier has climbed so far; the man is so classy and almost stoic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Yup. I love his composure and comportment in this press conference. He's not saying much, but saying enough to shut people up.
So basically you love his political skills. I prefer to see more skills in the GMing of the team.

Personally, I did not want to judge him after one year on the job. I'll wait for the start of next season. If we have the same smurf team that the coach bullsh*ts us into believing is a puck possession team then I have my evaluation of Gauthier.

McGuire made some good points on the team 990, one of which was Gauthier acquired Moore for a second round pick and then flushed him away at the end of the season. Yet they go and sign Halpern for a little less.

My gut feeling is that Gauthier is very much responsible for this undersized team, he was the assistant GM advising Gainey but I'll give me a pass until next October.

I have to add that he did do a fair enough job during the year coping with terrible injuries on the blue line.

Last edited by onice: 04-29-2011 at 07:54 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
If I was GM of the Canadiens I wouldn't tell the media a thing.

The Red Sox is how this team needs to be run...where the media in Boston go crazy and try and invent controversy because the GM doesn't say a peep to the media (there's a lot of other things the Habs could ape there too, of course).
They don't tell much, since Gainey took over years ago it has been very hard to get inside info and now with PG which worked under Gainey it's just as hard, you don't see anything coming the way it was back then

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:01 AM
saints96

I love how PG and JM handled the media's questions. The less you reveal to the media, the better things will be around this franchise, both for the players and the fanbase. We all know our media puts their spin on things hockey related and their thirst for controversey. Take this year for example, JM gave NOTHING to the media that they could have turned into propaganda, and in fact there was no big controversey(except for when BGL opened his big fat mouth at the end of the season) and even that wasn't that big a deal. And i find it was such a relief this season to not have any of the usual BS we hear around here. So props to them for keeping things on the down low, and staying classy as they usually are(Gainey as well).

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
I love how PG and JM handled the media's questions. The less you reveal to the media, the better things will be around this franchise, both for the players and the fanbase. We all know our media puts their spin on things hockey related and their thirst for controversey. Take this year for example, JM gave NOTHING to the media that they could have turned into propaganda, and in fact there was no big controversey(except for when BGL opened his big fat mouth at the end of the season) and even that wasn't that big a deal. And i find it was such a relief this season to not have any of the usual BS we hear around here. So props to them for keeping things on the down low, and staying classy as they usually are(Gainey as well).
Surprised we aren't already hearing BGL blab about how he "could have helped them out"

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Per RDS " Gomez appalogizes to the organization and the fans for his horrendous season "

And please PG will you bring in a couple of guys that can protect our smurfs.
thanks.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote