HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Mariusz Czerkawski? EDIT: Salary restructure.

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
That works too.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:21 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Hrdina or Hlavac (in that order) could be interesting options, depending on how much they would cost.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
He's a defensive liability... Why not just bring Berezin back?
I'm all for it, he averaged a point a game in his last season in the NHL

in all fairness though, i know ill get flamed for this, but we should just scrap Lindros and any other forwards at this point (other than maybe someone under 1.6) and just try to get an offersheet to Zetterberg
i know people will think im an idiiot for even bringing it up again at this point but i think he'd be a start player here and worth the investment

Old
08-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
I'm all for it, he averaged a point a game in his last season in the NHL

in all fairness though, i know ill get flamed for this, but we should just scrap Lindros and any other forwards at this point (other than maybe someone under 1.6) and just try to get an offersheet to Zetterberg
i know people will think im an idiiot for even bringing it up again at this point but i think he'd be a start player here and worth the investment
Can't lose anymore draft picks. Doesn't matter if we don't get top 10. We still need all we can get in the prospect pool.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
none of those 3 draft picks that we'd lose will ever amount to the calibre of player that Zetterberg is shaping up to be. Considering his age and upside, its worth it. It's not like we're trading away picks for aging veterans to make a playoff push (like we hav in the past, which have been bad ideas)

Old
08-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
none of those 3 draft picks that we'd lose will ever amount to the calibre of player that Zetterberg is shaping up to be. Considering his age and upside, its worth it. It's not like we're trading away picks for aging veterans to make a playoff push (like we hav in the past, which have been bad ideas)
You have no way of knowing that.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Lucky Lager

Personally, I'd rather not see Czerkawski in the blue and white. I think he's brutal. That's just my opinion.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
Well, let's not count our chickens before...

I'd say the Leafs could hypothetically sign Lindros (and barring injuries, which is a good posibility with Lindros/Allison) have a pretty solid top six.

Ideally speaking I'd prefer the Leafs signed two UFA forwards (depending on the price, and who). That way, we'd have for example

Sundin,O'Neill,Allison,Tucker,Lindros,UFA,Ponikaro vsky,Stajan,Antropov as our top nine - which is more than respectable.

The fourth line can consist of the likes of Kilger (who I believe should be with the club), Wilm, Belak, Kukumberg or whoever surprises from camp.
Pretty much what I've been preeching all along.

Just make sure the UFA's a speedy winger for Allison to play with. Someone he can dish off to to carry the puck fast, can utilise the two-line pass and will draw defenders away from Allison.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Pretty much what I've been preeching all along.

Just make sure the UFA's a speedy winger for Allison to play with. Someone he can dish off to to carry the puck fast, can utilise the two-line pass and will draw defenders away from Allison.
Could've been Palffy

Old
08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Kardi

i'd take him if he comes cheap, its not like the leafs dont have other guys that pull off bone head defensive mistakes often

Old
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
Could've been Palffy
At 4.5 million, no it couldn't and no it shouldn't have been Palffy.

Old
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
At 4.5 million, no it couldn't and no it shouldn't have been Palffy.
His first year is 3.5

That's a good price for a younger Mogilny type of player.

Old
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerez
I really don't think Czerkawski deserves the heat that he's getting. Though at this point I don't think I would want the Leafs to have him, I think he would be a decent fringe/depth player to fill a roster spot for 450 - 600k. The guy can score and bring excitement to a game, and to be honest I'd take him at 450-600k over Belak at >800k. But then again, Belak fills a roster spot at either forward or defense, which is why he remains a Leaf.

Regardless, Czerkawski can make a decent player for a team if they decide to play him with some decent help and guys who'll make up for the defence he doesn't bother with. Plus he wouldn't be bad in the shootout.
I don't get it either. They are for the most part willing to jump through hoops to get a player in Anson Carter who could not skate, shoot or stickhandle when last seen in the NHL. No effort, no drive no skill left at that point. I am not saying Chow is a godsend, he's better suited to a 40 game sked but if brought for near the minimum i do not see the problem. If an injury or two strikes we will have to win 2-1 games and with our style its not likely to happen. This is a paper thin team right now. Its unlikely to happen but the grief Mariusz is getting and the love Carter gets is puzzling.

Old
08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
His first year is 3.5

That's a good price for a younger Mogilny type of player.
Palffy's contract is 13.5 million for 3 years. The average salary over those years counts towards the cap, hence it's 4.5 million.

Old
08-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
First of all, Montreal did not sign Mariusz Czerkawski as a free agent. They traded a draft pick and grinder Aaron Asham for him. ..
Thats right I had assumed that Montreal would not have given up a warm body for such a useless player. I guess I overestimated the Hab's braintrust"

Quote:
Secondly, the Canadiens paid him over a million dollars. And finally, they did not release him during the season.
Again, I guess I believed someone in the front office of Montreal had a brain. My mistake totally. I had forgotten that they stuck him on the 4th line and then in the AHL after giving him so much money.

Quote:
So if you plan on being a condescending jerk to a poster who's just putting out an idea by 'correcting him' you might want to have a clue what you are talking about.
Yes I will never underestimate the Montreal Canadians stupidity again, I promise!

I'll still say, that the posters original idea of giving Chow 2.5-3.5 million a season (before he edited it to the more reasonable 1 million) to float in a Toronto Maple Leaf uniform was very worthy of a small flame. Especially since I'm pretty sure Scrugs is a Leaf fan.

Closed Thread