Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
For those of you saying to package the 1st round pick for a 2nd line center...a lot depends on Selanne. If he comes back then Koivu centers the 2nd line one more year. Summer 2012 Blake and Koivu's contracts are off the books and the 2nd line will look a lot different in 12-13.

July 2012 is when Murray can really go shopping.

On the other hand...Etem-Holland-Palmieri might be ready for 2012-2013.
Yep that's exactly right, they aren't going to demote Koivu if Selanne comes back.

You'd think Holland, Palmieri are NHL ready by 12-13 and Etem is debatable, can he play in the AHL next year? Or does he have to play either Juniors or NHL?

Old
04-24-2011, 04:44 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
You'd think Holland, Palmieri are NHL ready by 12-13 and Etem is debatable, can he play in the AHL next year? Or does he have to play either Juniors or NHL?
I believe for Etem, 11-12 is Juniors or NHL.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:38 PM
wesott11

So here's looking forward to late June. Anyone know where we would be picking? I would assume 22 or 23? I can see anaheim either moving down in the draft or shipping it out.

Just one of those feelings we won't be picking at our 1st spot.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:30 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
I believe for Etem, 11-12 is Juniors or NHL.
Ah alrite, that's annoying, would of been good for him to get some time in the AHL next season

Old
04-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Unholy
waifu

Haven't paid much attention to the prospects as of late, once the Finals are over will begin to look at who I want the Ducks to take.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

Sven Bartschi
Brandon Saad
Joel Armia
Matt Puempel
MARK MCNEILL
Ty rattie
Zach Philips
David Musil
VICTOR RASK
Tyler Biggs
Nikita Kucherov
Ryan Sproul
JAMIESON OLEKSIAK
Grenier, Alexandre
Khokhlachev, Alexander
Nathan Beaulieu
there some names i just quickly throw out what you guys think any standouts there and names people really against they not all first round suggestions a few are like 2nd to 4th round picks that i would be very happy with

Old
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Haven't read up on guys yet, so no ideas there.

But in general I want speed, speed, and more speed in any forwards picked. Our defensive prospects are pretty mobile (Sbisa, Fowler, Vatanen, Scultz, and formerly Gardiner), but we don't really have the forwards to take advantage of that. And with Selanne and Blake retiring soon, the big club is going to be losing a lot of speed.

Etem and Mcmillan are the only forwards that seem to have skating mentioned as a strength. Palmieri is considered "good," Holland as well. Bonino might be even slower than Parros. So I'd be all for going for the smaller but faster types.

Old
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Haven't read up on guys yet, so no ideas there.

But in general I want speed, speed, and more speed in any forwards picked. Our defensive prospects are pretty mobile (Sbisa, Fowler, Vatanen, Scultz, and formerly Gardiner), but we don't really have the forwards to take advantage of that. And with Selanne and Blake retiring soon, the big club is going to be losing a lot of speed.

Etem and Mcmillan are the only forwards that seem to have skating mentioned as a strength. Palmieri is considered "good," Holland as well. Bonino might be even slower than Parros. So I'd be all for going for the smaller but faster types.
i dont mind if they are "small" per se as long as they play their size or bigger.. DSP is only 6 but apparently is extremely solidly built and hits like a truck.. mcmillan is 5'10 i think or something like that but he plays feisty and is pretty solid in the corners.. whoever we draft, i feel like they need to fit the MO of the hockey club.. which apparently right now is a hard forecheck while being responsible defensively.. we dont really have a speedy skilled team that scores off the rush.. we are a team that grinds it out below the goal line and crashes the net for goals... just my take anyway

Old
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i dont mind if they are "small" per se as long as they play their size or bigger.. DSP is only 6 but apparently is extremely solidly built and hits like a truck.. mcmillan is 5'10 i think or something like that but he plays feisty and is pretty solid in the corners.. whoever we draft, i feel like they need to fit the MO of the hockey club.. which apparently right now is a hard forecheck while being responsible defensively.. we dont really have a speedy skilled team that scores off the rush.. we are a team that grinds it out below the goal line and crashes the net for goals... just my take anyway
I think having a purely "feisty corners" team is a) unbalanced and not going to present matchup problems and b) not taking advantage of a mobile defense. I just like the change-up provided by a "thunder and lightning" type lineup.

That's why I say speed and more speed.

OT, but I've been posting on HF for all these years and I just noticed that you can resize the quickreply (and other text entering) window. And the clueless award goes to...

Old
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

i think basically it comes down to how you see each prospect working in are system so you want speed does mean you take the faster player then the one with the better hands ?
also do you feel the top management have a version worked out and they want this club to play quick carrying puck moving hockey or tough cycle power hockey. do people think we should start a planned drafting technique where we just pick players of a certain type/mold or do we go BPA or a mix of both ans you take BPA in first few rounds and then try plug roster gaps you have or see having ?

Old
05-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey234

Relative to where the Ducks would be drafting, players such as Ty Rattie, Mark Scheiffle, Nicklas Jensen, Dmitri Jaskin, Rocco Grimaldi, Jamie Oleksiak, Nathan Beaulieu, and David Musil should be available. If the Ducks do not trade up, these are the players who the staff will be looking at because of their lower end draft position.

However, I hope the Ducks trade up and grab Mika Zibanejad. I feel he will be one of the best players in the entire draft when everything is said and done. He is a 6.1, 191 pound center who has skyrocketed up in the rankings all year. Most lists have him in the top ten now for a reason. He has some serious skill.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Koffein

Im surprised that only one poster mention Rocco Grimaldi so far. The guy is a midget but I would love to see us take him in the 2nd or even trade up to turn our own 2nd into a late 1st/early 2nd.

Murray likes players with speed and high end offensive ability that has question marks (Etem, Holland, Fowler, Vatanen, maybe Palmieri...) and has also shown he is not afraid to select smaller players. Grimaldi screams Ducks-pick to me, and I would love to see him here.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
Im surprised that only one poster mention Rocco Grimaldi so far. The guy is a midget but I would love to see us take him in the 2nd or even trade up to turn our own 2nd into a late 1st/early 2nd.

Murray likes players with speed and high end offensive ability that has question marks (Etem, Holland, Fowler, Vatanen, maybe Palmieri...) and has also shown he is not afraid to select smaller players. Grimaldi screams Ducks-pick to me, and I would love to see him here.
I agree that he does seem like a Ducks pick. However, I do not want it to be with their first round pick. A little to much of a gamble for me. There is no question about his skill, but he is tiny. Many even feel he would be top ten in this draft if he was a little bigger.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

come on the guy is 5'6 no way he we should take him in the 1st maybe as second but im still not sure on tha,i wouldt be fine with maybe one of the 3rds or the 5th pick for him

Old
05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Please tell me there is a big, hulking DFD we can pick up. He doesn't have to be a game breaking talent, just add size and solid positioning to the blue-line.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
come on the guy is 5'6 no way he we should take him in the 1st maybe as second but im still not sure on tha,i wouldt be fine with maybe one of the 3rds or the 5th pick for him
Fleury did pretty well with that height, and Grimaldi plays bigger than his size. Many were saying similiar things about Skinner last year, and even in the final rankings some agencies had him out of the first round because of size and skating issues. I agree with you that we should not use our 1st on a guy like him, but he will not last to the 3rd. Trading up in the 2nd to get a player with big size issues but top-10 (or top-5 according to some even) skill is well worth the risk. But I suppose you can always stay safe and draft bigger, sure bets to make the NHL. You know, like Mitera and Macmillan?

Old
05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Fleury did pretty well with that height, and Grimaldi plays bigger than his size. Many were saying similiar things about Skinner last year, and even in the final rankings some agencies had him out of the first round because of size and skating issues. I agree with you that we should not use our 1st on a guy like him, but he will not last to the 3rd. Trading up in the 2nd to get a player with big size issues but top-10 (or top-5 according to some even) skill is well worth the risk. But I suppose you can always stay safe and draft bigger, sure bets to make the NHL. You know, like Mitera and Macmillan?
Can you name some effective players in today's NHL that are 5'6"? Brian Gionta is pretty small, as is Marty St. Louis, but are there enough guys to really make a GM think, "This will work"? The Kings drafted a great skill guy with no size in Oscar Moller and he can't stick in the lineup because he gets pasted into the boards or face planted in the crease every shift.

The odds are long enough drafting hopeful NHL players, lets not make it more difficult by heaping even lesser odds on top.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Paul4587

Moller is built like a 12 year old girl though, he has absolutely no strength whatsoever. If they're short but have legs built like tree trunks like St Louis does then size isn't an issue. It's if they can't gain strength to save themselves where they end up having issues adjusting to the pro game.

That being said, I wouldn't touch a guy that small in the first round unless he was a sure thing. Too risky.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hockeystatic X View Post
Can you name some effective players in today's NHL that are 5'6"? Brian Gionta is pretty small, as is Marty St. Louis, but are there enough guys to really make a GM think, "This will work"? The Kings drafted a great skill guy with no size in Oscar Moller and he can't stick in the lineup because he gets pasted into the boards or face planted in the crease every shift.

The odds are long enough drafting hopeful NHL players, lets not make it more difficult by heaping even lesser odds on top.
Out of curiosity I looked. There is ONE player listed as shorter than 5'7" - Nathan Gerbe at 5'5". Another 5 at 5'7", 6 more at 5'8". 18 more at 5'9" - including Sexton. Draw your own conclusions as to the accuracy of those heights.....

Other notables in this size range are Steve Sullivan, Scott Nichol, Michael Cammalieri, Sergei Samsonov, Nigel Dawes, Derek Roy, Jordin Tootoo, Brett Lebda and Brad Marchand.

Also Ebbett and Shannon. Ducks do sign some small ones.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Please tell me there is a big, hulking DFD we can pick up. He doesn't have to be a game breaking talent, just add size and solid positioning to the blue-line.
Another Kevin Lind could be nice to add. Not sure what's around in the first round.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
But Skinner didn't really have those problems. He was 5'10" 193, which is actually not that small. Also he wasn't a fast skater, but he was touted as being very agile (from figure skating). So he didn't really have skating issues. And he was also supposed to be pretty strong on his skates.

So Grimaldi is 5'6"? That's tiny. Is he fast, or strong, or very smart? Because small guys probably need at least one of those attributes. Also what kind of player is he? Because goal scorers tend to be able to handle being small better than puck possession playmakers.

Last edited by snarktacular: 05-04-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
Sven Bartschi 0
Brandon Saad 1
Joel Armia 2
Matt Puempel 3
MARK MCNEILL 4
Ty rattie 5
Zach Philips 6
David Musil 7
VICTOR RASK 8
Tyler Biggs 9
Nikita Kucherov 10
Ryan Sproul
JAMIESON OLEKSIAK 11
Grenier, Alexandre
Khokhlachev, Alexander 12
Nathan Beaulieu 13
there some names i just quickly throw out what you guys think any standouts there and names people really against they not all first round suggestions a few are like 2nd to 4th round picks that i would be very happy with
1: won't fall to us. Plain and simple. Dynamic player though
2. Slight chance that we'll might get him. Offensively gifted. Solid second line potential. >39, 42, 64
3. Armia: should we get him he would be the fowler of the draft. Plays on the top line of one of Finland's top clubs.
4. Puempel: called the best scorer in the draft, compared to Jeff Skinner. Should he fall to 22, we need to draft him. If I was Murray I'd even move up if I could to nab him. Once in discussion for the number one rank. The injury hurt his stock greatly, but he returned and improved his pace. My favorite of all the low ranked players I've researched.
McNeill: had a terrible WJC showing. Not sure about him.
Rattie: nice offensive talent, but may be a career AHLer.
Phillips: seems like a depth talent that we could use right now but he needs to develop into that player.
Musil: started as a top 10 talent but his stock dropped, and no one really says why, but his production is too low, and he doesn't offer many dynamic skills.
Rask: don't know what to think. Equal boom/bust. Won't ever be a first liner.
Biggs: see Phillips. Looks good now. Not worth the pick.
Kucherov: no one knew who he was until the u-18s second round? Fine. First round? No.
Oleksiak: size is his only strength. For all we know he can be a pylon. I wouldn't expect him to drop to us anyway.
Khokhlachev: don't know what to make of non top 5 Russians. He does play the American game. He's a safer pick than Tarasenko and Kabanov were last year.
Beaulieu: don't know why he's here. Won't drop farther than 15.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
But Skinner didn't really have those problems. He was 5'10" 193, which is actually not that small. Also he wasn't a fast skater, but he was touted as being very agile (from figure skating). So he didn't really have skating issues. And he was also supposed to be pretty strong on his skates.

So Grimaldi is 5'6"? That's tiny. Is he fast, or strong, or very smart? Because small guys probably need at least one of those attributes. Also what kind of player is he? Because goal scorers tend to be able to handle being small better than puck possession playmakers.
No, Skinners skating "issues" were blown out of proportion, but it's still the reason many had him ranked low. Size seem to be the only issue with Grimaldi. I have not seen him play personally except for highlights, but from what I've read about him from many different sources, he's strong for his size, very speedy but most importantly both smart and agile.
Had he been the same size as Skinner he might have been mentioned among the top players this year.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Hussar
Donkeytoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
David Musil is pretty close. Son of Frank Musil, nephew of Bobby Holik. Plays like a bigger Adam Foote. Loves to hit and has a hard shot.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Hussar
Donkeytoof

just wanted to post ANA draft picks for 2011 as of 5/11.

1st round: Own 22nd
2nd round: Own 53rd
3rd round: Own 83rd, plus either COL 63rd, or NYI at 65th (Wisneiski)
4th round: none MTL owns (Chipchura), SJ pick 118-121st (Moen,Huskins, Bonino, Peilmeier)
5th round: Own 143rd
6th round: none TOR owns (Pogge)
7th round: none TOR owns (J.McDonald) to be optioned back if Voros resigns

Closed Thread