HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Superb Interview With Gord Miller

Old
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
periferal

vCash: 500
Superb Interview With Gord Miller

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...by-play-voice/

If you haven't listened to this yet, it's a must. With all the absolute fluff coming from the media, I have not heard someone so brutally honest and ON TARGET with his assessment of the Islanders.

In a nutshell, he bashes Wang and says the Islanders pretty much won't win until ownership stabilizes. I could not agree more.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
1 Timer

Heard it yesterday and I agree with about 80% of the posters. I think Wang saved us all those years ago but until we get some studs on D and a consistant goalie we will be treading water.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Have to agree with him on almost everything he said.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Hard to disagree with much of that....

Montoya will have to stand on his head and compete with Lundqvist & Fleury to keep the goaltending afloat since we're all pretty sure DP can't, primarily.

I just wonder if another year 'in the deep end' and the addition of Niederreiter can steady the production enough to give the team a chance. Do we need a monster breakout season from one player or three, is the defense ready to compete in such a high-end division, etc.....

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:10 PM
TennesseeJedd

He said nothing that we all didn't know the past 10 years, Dipietro is a mess, Wang wont spend money and all our prospects are rushed, and this is some kind of monumental state of the union address? By a TSN "reporter"?

Please, fact is he just re enforced the stereotype that the Islanders are a joke which ifanyone with an ounce of credibility would listen to the guys who are EX-Islanders, they would know that they all had nothing but great things to say about their time in the organization.

Is Wang eccentric? Uhm, yeah and guess what, many billionaires are. He went the route of throwing money around and all it got him were big buyouts and at best a first round playoff ouster all the while bleeding millions of dollars.

Does Wang want to develop the real estate surrounding the coliseum? Well knock me over with a feather, you mean the man wants to make this a profitable venture as well as keeping the Islander healthy for the long term, THAT THIEF.

Bottom line is here is a guy(Miller) who watches at most 10 Islander games a year but has the balls to preach of how terrible we are, boy he really went out on a limb there. What did he do, look at our record the past 6 years? He couldn't even acknowledge that we were one of the best teams in the league since late December, dismissing it as another team out of it playing loose. Stellar.

What was he saying when Pttsburgh was bottom 5 for 5 year and bottom 2 for 2? I guess only the Pitt's/Hawks and Tampa's of the hockey world can use this method successfully.

This bum said nothing we didn't know a long time now, yet some are holding him up as a hero for speaking the truth, get a grip people.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
This bum said nothing we didn't know a long time now, yet some are holding him up as a hero for speaking the truth, get a grip people.
This...old news is old, let's try to focus on the little positives we have. This board finally came enjoyable the last few months.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
He said nothing that we all didn't know the past 10 years, Dipietro is a mess, Wang wont spend money and all our prospects are rushed, and this is some kind of monumental state of the union address? By a TSN "reporter"?

Please, fact is he just re enforced the stereotype that the Islanders are a joke which ifanyone with an ounce of credibility would listen to the guys who are EX-Islanders, they would know that they all had nothing but great things to say about their time in the organization.

Is Wang eccentric? Uhm, yeah and guess what, many billionaires are. He went the route of throwing money around and all it got him were big buyouts and at best a first round playoff ouster all the while bleeding millions of dollars.

Does Wang want to develop the real estate surrounding the coliseum? Well knock me over with a feather, you mean the man wants to make this a profitable venture as well as keeping the Islander healthy for the long term, THAT THIEF.

Bottom line is here is a guy(Miller) who watches at most 10 Islander games a year but has the balls to preach of how terrible we are, boy he really went out on a limb there. What did he do, look at our record the past 6 years? He couldn't even acknowledge that we were one of the best teams in the league since late December, dismissing it as another team out of it playing loose. Stellar.

What was he saying when Pttsburgh was bottom 5 for 5 year and bottom 2 for 2? I guess only the Pitt's/Hawks and Tampa's of the hockey world can use this method successfully.

We've had a nice second half and a glimpse of silver lining. Nothing really to see here and lets not ourselves bring the storm clouds back that have hovered the Meadowbrook for far too long.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
BillD

Quote:

I'm with you on this. I don't look at the Isles thru rose colored glasses, I know they are in a tough division and that while a much improved team, are not a lock for a playoff spot.
But this twit seemed to go beyond what was needed and enjoyed backhanding the Isles while devaluing our young developing talent and accomplisments.
Just another establishment wonk taking a cheap shot at an easy target.
I hope to prove him very wrong very soon.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
JKP

I agree with TennesseeJedd as well, I think Gord doesn't really know the situation that well. He's a play-by-play guy and spends most of his time on the Canadian teams. He's almost never doing analysis like most of the other folks from TSN that Botta's talked to.

I take what Bob McKenzie says over Gord 10 times out of 10. Even Healy was more balanced in his view than Gord.

Gord did a good job of representing the stereotypical Toronto reporter's view point of the Isles, though. I'm sure if Botta talked to Damian Cox or Steve Simmons he'd get the same thing he got from Gord.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
boredmale

While I can sort of agree with some of the stuff he said he went a little overboad on other things(it seems like he had a chip on his shoulder).

I think he should have harped way more on goaltending as a major issue and much less on the defense. He seemed to ignore that Streit was out for the entire season.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

I don't think Gord Miller knows a lot about the Islanders specifically, in terms of the personnel, the prospects, etc, nor do I agree with his assessment of the defense - but the point on Wang is very telling.

Specifically, the feeling that no reputable hockey person (GM, coach, etc) would want to be part of an erratic organization like this...and what the impact might be on player development.

Let's face it, regardless of how they draft, the development at the AHL, NHL level is CRITICAL to eventual NHL success.

Bailey's one example, we all hope he'd have been further along by now, and Tavares is a legit star, but the OTHER players (either drafted/developed players or support players brought in by management/GM/coaches) MUST be "very good" or the team cannot take the next step.

Anyway, this really isn't "news" to Islanders fans, but it's refreshing to hear truth from the media rather than fluff.

I don't see this as negative, I see it as real critique and it's rare. You get guys like Glenn Healy and Ray Ferraro who dump on the Islanders in the Canadian media then get all "politically correct" for Botta and say all the right things....sellouts without a soul or balls.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

Quote:

this...

rikker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I don't think Gord Miller knows a lot about the Islanders specifically, in terms of the personnel, the prospects, etc, nor do I agree with his assessment of the defense - but the point on Wang is very telling.

Specifically, the feeling that no reputable hockey person (GM, coach, etc) would want to be part of an erratic organization like this...and what the impact might be on player development.

Let's face it, regardless of how they draft, the development at the AHL, NHL level is CRITICAL to eventual NHL success.

Bailey's one example, we all hope he'd have been further along by now, and Tavares is a legit star, but the OTHER players (either drafted/developed players or support players brought in by management/GM/coaches) MUST be "very good" or the team cannot take the next step.

Anyway, this really isn't "news" to Islanders fans, but it's refreshing to hear truth from the media rather than fluff.

I don't see this as negative, I see it as real critique and it's rare. You get guys like Glenn Healy and Ray Ferraro who dump on the Islanders in the Canadian media then get all "politically correct" for Botta and say all the right things....sellouts without a soul or balls.
I feel like him attacking the owner, over "irratic", when he covers a place like Toronto.
Then attacking the rushing of Josh Bailey. I can see how he was rushed, and agree with that sentiment..... but it seems like it is easy to attack after a few years. Takes more balls to say it when it is happening. Also on the flip side it is funny how also there is no mention of "rushing" when Hamonic works out well right away. I just think that even if somehow the Isles won a round or two next year (somehow, I know its crazy), there would be a few people still attacking him.
Then comparing Shea Weber a dman that was drafted 5 years before Bailey (and under MM to boot) when it usually takes more time to develop a dman. What a terrible comparison. Somehow Weber is so great just because he was not rushed? Must be more to it than that.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Isles72

the only thing gord miller is good for is reminding me how much I miss paul romanuk .

IN FRONT !

yay , gord knows the pucks in front

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
West Coast Isles Fan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
We aren't going to get any national respect until we win. It's that simple. We are going to be picked to finish bottom 5 until we don't actually finish bottom 5. And even then they might pick us to be crappy until we can do it for a couple years in a row.

West Coast Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
LAIslanderFan

You can hear the smugness in his voice from the start of the interview. He clearly doesn't like the Islanders.

He compares the Rangers young core to the Islanders? Who here agrees with that? I'd really like to know. Michael Grabner had a better year then Marian Gaborik for god's sake!
Is Callahan better then Tavares? Dubinsky better then Moulson? I guess he thinks Amac and Hamonic are more or less journeymen. Who agrees with that? Does anyone think he's at all correct in his assement? Is he close in his assement? This should tell you all you want to know about his opinion. He's an outsider looking in. He's read a few blogs and he's trying to sound like an "analyst".

The Islanders need a good puck moving defensemen? Chris Botta had to bring up Mark Striet, then we got one of those "oh yeah" moments.

He mentions the Islanders playoff run in 1993 and forget to mention Pierre Turgeon being knocked out of the series after the dirty Hunter hit? How does he forget that?

It's so obvious to me, when he pauses and stammers a bit, that he's trying to mock the Islanders and he has no intention of being at all objective. Listen closely to the questions and the answers. You should also note the look on Botta's face. Botta is doing everything he can to not laugh in the guys face and insult him. Botta sees right through the guy. This Gord Miller had an agenda before the interview ever began.

This guys an idiot. He was probably accurate about 10% of that interview. To quote an old cliche, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

While he's 100% right, it just ticks me off so much when others talk down about our club. But it doesn't bother me at all when one of us, or a guy like Chris bashes the club.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:27 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
While he's 100% right, it just ticks me off so much when others talk down about our club. But it doesn't bother me at all when one of us, or a guy like Chris bashes the club.
"100% right"? It would do you service to read the post above yours by LAIslanderfan

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Islanderfan72

The guy probably watched 4 islander games this year.

This team played great down the stretch and showed if DP is not in net, Montoya plays well and we stay healthy, they will compete for the playoffs.

Why is it the devils played great down the stretch and everyone thinks they are going to rebound, but we just had no pressure. Bs

I take his canadian bias with a grain of salt.

Plus we already knew bailey was rushed and Wang sucks. Atleast
they learned for there mistakes and sent nino down.

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:33 PM
gramatanboy

The guy's a jerk!! Seems to me like he ambushed Botta with a very negative take on the Isles when I bet that Botta thought he would say something good about the second half of the year and the future for the team. Let's just hope that the Islanders prove him wrong next year and we can laugh at him. For what it's worth, I have watched hockey since 1976 and I was not overly impressed with the Rangers this year (a bubble team at best) or the Flyers defense, which he went out of his way to praise.

Keep hope alive Islander fans!!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Heard this yesterday, gives some balance to the pieces Botta has recently had. Loved how Botta's defensiveness crept up subtly as the interview went on.

Miller's approach, although laden with some truths, rubs me the wrong way, condescending and "*******." But I don't value his opinion all that highly, he has only seen the Isles a handful of games, thus he filled his gaps of knowledge with stereotypical perceptions and heuristics. On the flip side, I value McGuire's opinion about the same, another guy who has only seen a handful of NYI games.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Pierre McGuire and Puck Daddy say the isles are the next Chicago Blackhawks.Gord Miller says they're going nowhere

I can't get excited or upset over any of their comments.We've gotta wait and see how the prospects develop,who gives Wang the new arena/new lease terms.

Does he realize Wang's lease finally expires in 2015?That Wang will get much better lease terms,more money to increase payroll?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
"100% right"? It would do you service to read the post above yours by LAIslanderfan
well i really meant he was right about the ownership.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:39 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
You can hear the smugness in his voice from the start of the interview. He clearly doesn't like the Islanders.

He compares the Rangers young core to the Islanders? Who here agrees with that? I'd really like to know. Michael Grabner had a better year then Marian Gaborik for god's sake!
Is Callahan better then Tavares? Dubinsky better then Moulson? I guess he thinks Amac and Hamonic are more or less journeymen. Who agrees with that? Does anyone think he's at all correct in his assement? Is he close in his assement? This should tell you all you want to know about his opinion. He's an outsider looking in. He's read a few blogs and he's trying to sound like an "analyst".

The Islanders need a good puck moving defensemen? Chris Botta had to bring up Mark Striet, then we got one of those "oh yeah" moments.

He mentions the Islanders playoff run in 1993 and forget to mention Pierre Turgeon being knocked out of the series after the dirty Hunter hit? How does he forget that?

It's so obvious to me, when he pauses and stammers a bit, that he's trying to mock the Islanders and he has no intention of being at all objective. Listen closely to the questions and the answers. You should also note the look on Botta's face. Botta is doing everything he can to not laugh in the guys face and insult him. Botta sees right through the guy. This Gord Miller had an agenda before the interview ever began.

This guys an idiot. He was probably accurate about 10% of that interview. To quote an old cliche, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
I laughed at the lack of puck moving D-man, i think all of our D prospects are puck movers and Dehaan is considered to be one of the best puck moving type D prospects in the league. Ness, Donovan, Kessel are all puck moving types and we have guys like Streit who is one of better offensive D-men in league and Hillen who is a puck moving type at the NHL level.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...by-play-voice/

If you haven't listened to this yet, it's a must. With all the absolute fluff coming from the media, I have not heard someone so brutally honest and ON TARGET with his assessment of the Islanders.

In a nutshell, he bashes Wang and says the Islanders pretty much won't win until ownership stabilizes. I could not agree more.
I have been saying that forever and i am not even a professional writer. wang is this franchise's problem and it doesn't matter even if wang gets his new free arena, and starts making oodles and oodles of money off of it. wang is still wang and he will still run things his way which has proven the wrong way and this team will continue to suffer unless a new buyer emerges and runs the team properly.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote