HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Just thinking...

Old
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
I think it's weird that the proposal to trade Carter, because he is underwhelming in the playoffs, is for Quick, who hasn't impressed me with his (short) playoff resume. He gave up some awful goals to the Sharks this year, and wasn't any great shakes in the games I saw him in last year.

If I were to propose a trade for Carter, I'd say Halak + Pietrangelo.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
nuclear reactor

Carter for Suter has always intrigued me. Nashville could use the high-end talent up front and the Flyers a long-term replacement for their #1 d position. And until Pronger and Timonen are gone a blue line of those two with Suter, Coburn, Meszaros, and Carle would be sick! Suter is a UFA after next year though and he's gonna get paid.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
tuckrr

can we not label Carter as a playoff "underperformer" until he has a playoffs where he is actually healthy?

pretty small sample size for so much speculation (especially since he wasn't close to 100% last year)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:23 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I can almost guarantee that if Gagne had stayed on the team he'd be the one we'd want to get rid of. His injuries of late are a major concern and his cap hit is high.
The thing about that though, is that there was no reason for us to be in cap problems last off season but Homer painted himself into a corner and now instead of having Gagné come off the books in a summer where we've know all along that there would be difficult to get everyone back we've added Walker's 1.7M to the roster.

This year really should have been Gagné's big farewell tour for us.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:25 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Carter for Suter has always intrigued me. Nashville could use the high-end talent up front and the Flyers a long-term replacement for their #1 d position. And until Pronger and Timonen are gone a blue line of those two with Suter, Coburn, Meszaros, and Carle would be sick! Suter is a UFA after next year though and he's gonna get paid.
Suter is one of my favourite young(ish) blueliners along with Doughty. There aren't many people I'd move Carter for, but he is one of them. Only if we would be sure to have him resigned however. (Also, I doubt that Nashville will be looking to trade him.)

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
You keep saying "Source or opinion?", so I guess I can ask you the same about what I just quoted.

"It wasn't there only because Homer would not offer up Carter at the time" ~ Those are your words. Source or opinion?
And I am offering an opinion, not representing it as fact.

The fact was Homer signed Carter to a long term deal and did not move him(which in theory says they were not going to move him, plus it is known that the organization loves Carter and Richards because they are homegrown picks), the assumption could be if Jeff Carter was offered in the open market that Homer could get a kings ransom for him because he is legitimately one of the top 10 players in all of hockey right now and of course he would get the most in return in any deal. According to Carter loyalists, who wouldn't want to have him?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Source or opinion? Sounds like an opinion to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Source or opinion?
See, even the followers get it.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They only tell you their intentions
Bob Clarke is the master of this, he would always say "we are not listening to any offers on player X"........two days later player X is moved. They do not show their hands in deals.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post

The fact was Homer signed Carter to a long term deal and did not move him(which in theory says they were not going to move him, plus it is known that the organization loves Carter and Richards because they are homegrown picks), the assumption could be if Jeff Carter was offered in the open market that Homer could get a kings ransom for him because he is legitimately one of the top 10 players in all of hockey right now and of course he would get the most in return in any deal. According to Carter loyalists, who wouldn't want to have him?
What kind of drugs are you on?

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:39 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

Us!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
can we not label Carter as a playoff "underperformer" until he has a playoffs where he is actually healthy?

pretty small sample size for so much speculation (especially since he wasn't close to 100% last year)
What is a good sample size for a players who has scored 46 goals in a season, is a league leader over the past three years in regular season goals, hosts the skills and size to be an above average performer, but yet we need to rely on injuries ot defend him??

I think that 45 games, 13 goals(2GW)(6PP), 8 assists, 21pts, -10 in a prominent scoring role is a good sample size, plus the eye test, watch him play and avoid the contact.

Then you look at these two players..:

1) 28 games, 7goals(1GW)(1PP), 3 assists, 10pts, -2 in a lesser role until this season in which he has 4 goals in one round including a GW'er and leading the team in shots(43) and 5th in hits(15).

2) 36 games, 13 goals(2GW)(3PP), 22 assists, 35pts, +14 in a prominent role. Leading the team in hits(20)

Old
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Well, the FACT is that Dean Lombardi said that the Kings were not going to trade either Quick or Bernier last offseason. You asked for a source, you got it, and then chose to laugh it off because GM's always lie and whatever.

If you aren't going to take a legit source seriously, then maybe it's best not to ask for a source? That's especially so when, after asking for and receiving a source, you throw out an opinion of your own and state it in a way that sure looks like "representing it as fact".

BTW, you asked for and received a source. You don't happen to have a source to back up your words do you?

Last edited by Shadow Flyer: 04-29-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Realistically, I think we are going to have something like this:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Andreas Nodl ($1.250m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m)
Darroll Powe ($0.900m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) / Brian Boucher ($0.925m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,077,488; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,322,512

Bonuses from 10-11 will eat some of that $2.3M, so we'll have basically minimum to add the 13th fwd and 7th D.

Maybe move Versteeg to keep Leino a little cheaper and create some cap space.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Carter's becoming Injury Prone for the most important months of the season... those whom follow the NFL draft also note that having an untimely injury or two can cost the kid millions falling a round or two b.c its a tough label to break, and typically one that over the years is proven to happen. Some people just get injured easier than others, no real way to explain it other than "injury prone" lol.

Maybe he stays healthy during the regular season b.c he plays at half/lazy pace knowing he bruises easily

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Well, the FACT is that Dean Lombardi said that the Kings were not going to trade either Quick or Bernier last offseason. You asked for a source, you got it, and then chose to laugh it off because GM's always lie and whatever.

If you aren't going to take a legit source seriously, then maybe it's best not to ask for a source? That's especially so when, after asking for and receiving a source, you throw out an opinion of your own and state it in a way that sure looks like "representing it as fact".

BTW, you asked for and received a source. You don't happen to have a source to back up your words do you?
Since when does he talk facts? Never!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote